• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-16 TV Cancellations: The Beast, having been fed, asks waiter for his bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1025

Banned
Participant Media Shuts Down Cable TV Network Pivot, Series’ Future In Question

Ok, so I know most of you are like "wtf is Pivot? Isn't that the thing the big racist Oompa Loompa just won't do?"
But it is also home to Please Like Me, which is fucking excellent. And they wrapped season 4 nine days ago

Someone needs to pick it up. :(

It's also the home of Fortitude, which is one of the least known but also one of the best shows on TV. Well, Sky Atlantic owns it, I guess it'll need a new home in the U.S. The second season is supposed to air in October I believe. Still, super unfortunate, it was a pretty decent network.

(Off-topic recommendation: Fortitude! Stanley Tucci, Richard Dormer (who was incredible in it), and Michael Gambon star in it, and it's about a small Norwegian town where a murder starts a very strange story that delves into sickness, polar bears, messed up people, possibly mammoths, and leads to some surprising moments. Plus the cinematography is off the charts!)

I doubt WGN is shutting down anytime soon, it's been in a weird position for a long time though seeing as it's a local (in Chicago) TV station with national coverage.

TheOddOne

- THR: Steven Bochco on 'NYPD Blue's' Crazy First Year and David Caruso's Outrageous Demands.
We then negotiated a deal with Caruso that, in exchange for his release, required him to do the first four episodes so that we could properly write his character out of the show and further stipulated that he couldn't work on another television series for five years. Caruso was officially gone. When he had shot his last scene of the fourth episode, he turned without a word and left the set, the stage and the lot. He didn't say a single word of thanks or a goodbye to his castmates — nothing.

In the meantime, Milch and I had to invent a whole new character for Jimmy Smits, which we did on the fly. It was a bit of a fire drill, but Jimmy — a consummate pro and a truly fine person — jumped into a fast-moving river and hung on for the remainder of that second season. The audience loved him, and by the end of the second season, we were an even bigger hit, ABC was thrilled, and no one missed David Caruso, whose so-called movie career was already circling the drain. Boo hoo.
Caruso :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Bochco is my kind of guy, an obsessive pedant when it comes to the rules!
We turned our attention to the language issue. Obviously we couldn't say "f—" or "shit" or several other words that your mother would smack you for using. But everything else was on the table. Bob and I finally agreed to a glossary of "acceptable" words, and for reasons I simply cannot recall, we agreed to a cap of 37 uses of those words per episode. I was quietly ecstatic. After a year and a half of stubbornly holding out, I had gotten about 95 percent of everything I wanted...

... At some point during the first season, we were shooting parts of four or five episodes in New York City. One of the scenes involved setting up a roadblock at an entry ramp to the West Side Highway. Sipowicz and Kelly were trying to apprehend an escaped felon. The scene called for traffic to back up, antagonizing the drivers, who were yelling at the cops and honking. At one point, Sipowicz was supposed to yell at one of the drivers, "Hey, asshole!" and the driver, as it was written, was supposed to flip Sipowicz the finger. Broadcast standards said we couldn't do that. Somehow, with our obsession over tits and ass and language, Bob Iger and I had never bothered to negotiate the flipping of the bird. I responded to broadcast standards with the observation that if they didn't let me have the guy flip Sipowicz the bird, I would have Sipowicz call this guy an asshole 37 times, which, per our agreement, I could do. They folded, and the guy flipped Sipowicz the bird.

berzeli

Banned
Netflix Boards ‘Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency’ Series As Co-Producer
Netflix has joined Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency alongside BBC America, AMC Studios, Ideate Media and IDW Entertainment. The eight-part mystery series will air on BBC America beginning October 22 and will launch in all Netflix territories outside the U.S. in December. Based on the cult novels by The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy author Douglas Adams, it’s written and executive produced by Max Landis (Chronicle). IMG negotiated the deal with Netflix, AMC, Ideate and IDW; and is handling remaining sales.
Neat. Though I'm not sure if it will live up to wither the book or the UK series with Stephen Mangan (and was hoping for a simulcast like we have with Orphan Black).

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Good lord this looks awful which means it'll probably be a big hit for CBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-VRxbRuBjA

"OK, you got 30 minutes, Hoss."

"See you in 29.
n3JDC3d.gif
"

YEAAAAAH

This would pair perfectly with Scorpion.

kevin1025

Banned
Good lord this looks awful which means it'll probably be a big hit for CBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-VRxbRuBjA

First three seconds: the set spotlight is being played off as lighting at a fancy party. You don't fool me, set spotlight!

This thing has been tweaked and restarted and held off for another year so much, I'm shocked it's coming in the fall. I figured midseason would be an okay shot, but nope, rush, rush, rush! As to its quality, I'm sure it will be mindlessly fine/possibly even fun at times, but never better than that, and it'll do decently if it aims for the Hawaii Five-O numbers and crowd (which most other numbers would still kill for).

Also... NCIS, in its thirteenth season, had 15-18 million viewers every week. Holy hell.

Hobbun

Wow CBS doing the plane trick again

I didn't forget about Scorpion

this is basically just Scorpion again

why is Scorpion still on the air

I have no issues with Scorpion, I enjoy the show for that it is.

But this trailer for MacGyver just reaffirms I won't be watching it. I didn't like the original trailer, either. Mac is not some cocky young kid like they portray him here.

I was a huge fan of the original MacGyver, but this is not a good follow-up of it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
IFC are cancelling Comedy Bang Bang after a final 10eps later this year.

https://twitter.com/ScottAukerman/status/766324211279273984

edit: I haven't seen any of the Weird Al episodes yet but I have always enjoyed the show. Glad it sounds as though they got to write an ending for it. Look forward to seeing the last series when Netflix catches up with it.

Such a shame. The Weird Al episodes have been great.

I imagine IFC just wanted to get enough episodes to make it attractive to streaming services, though. Which, now that I mention it... #SeesoSaveBangBang

Sober

Who will be the brave soul to watch all the pilots this year and confirm they are as bad as the trailer made em out to be
I am, no matter what TheOddOne says

probably also Ratsky and TOO and Stump too

Also today I realized The White Slave (as La Esclava Blanca) is on Netflix (Canada) and WHY ARE THERE 62 OF THESE 42-45 MINUTE EPISODES

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Such a shame. The Weird Al episodes have been great.

I imagine IFC just wanted to get enough episodes to make it attractive to streaming services, though. Which, now that I mention it... #SeesoSaveBangBang

if every ifc viewer subscribes to seeso, seeso might actually crack five figures!

First three seconds: the set spotlight is being played off as lighting at a fancy party. You don't fool me, set spotlight!

This thing has been tweaked and restarted and held off for another year so much, I'm shocked it's coming in the fall. I figured midseason would be an okay shot, but nope, rush, rush, rush! As to its quality, I'm sure it will be mindlessly fine/possibly even fun at times, but never better than that, and it'll do decently if it aims for the Hawaii Five-O numbers and crowd (which most other numbers would still kill for).

Also... NCIS, in its thirteenth season, had 15-18 million viewers every week. Holy hell.

I'm expecting an eventual inclusion in the NCIS universe.

Pachimari

Hmm, I'm gonna give MacGuyver a chance, now that I have been waiting so long for it. It'll probably not get more than a season, with it looking cheap and being on Fridays.

maxcriden

Is there anything with potential on the radar based on the trailers?

For genre fans like you and I, Frequency and Riverdale have promise. I think one of those time travel shows could be okay. I think that end of the world CW show could be fun.

IIRC Great Indoors was the worst of the pilot trailers I saw. That and the ripped from the headlines-style power couple newscast one.

It seems a little weird we say big 4 still. Doesn't CW have enough good shows for it to be called the big 5 instead?

kevin1025

Banned
Who will be the brave soul to watch all the pilots this year and confirm they are as bad as the trailer made em out to be

I will take that on! Will this task be for only network or interesting pilots on cable as well? I'm willing to check them all out, haha.

I'm expecting an eventual inclusion in the NCIS universe.

I'd be okay with that! Or a four-episode crossover like the CW shows.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It seems a little weird we say big 4 still. Doesn't CW have enough good shows for it to be called the big 5 instead?

Well, if we're being honest, no... but the label sort of refers to the business side of things. The CW was never able to grow on UPN or WB, let alone both combined so it clearly doesn't make it from that POV.

maxcriden

Well, if we're being honest, no... but the label sort of refers to the business side of things. The CW was never able to grow on UPN or WB, let alone both combined so it clearly doesn't make it from that POV.

Haha, I mistyped. I meant good-rated shows. I realize quality has nothing to do with that side of the discussion. Heh. (I just figured since the CW #s seem similar often to some of the wretched big 4 #s that they might be comparable enough now.)

morningbus

I dunno man, I think the rules state you gotta retroactively watch the Flash pilot as the show usually beats the programs it's up against on many of the other channels.

Haha, I mistyped. I meant good-rated shows. I realize quality has nothing to do with that side of the discussion. Heh. (I just figured since the CW #s seem similar often to some of the wretched big 4 #s that they might be comparable enough now.)
Well, certainly, the lows have gotten close to the CW's ratings highs but the big 4 has a lot bigger high points ratings wise than the CW does.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
You also have to look at how many primetime hours per week The CW fills versus how many primetime hours the other four major broadcast networks fill — it's 10 hours versus 22, plus three of those four major networks also provide national network news broadcasts each day, while The CW doesn't. It doesn't deserve to be called a major network, despite a handful of respectable shows.

morningbus

You also have to look at how many primetime hours per week The CW fills versus how many primetime hours the other four major broadcast networks fill — it's 10 hours versus 22, plus three of those four major networks also provide national network news broadcasts each day, while The CW doesn't. It doesn't deserve to be called a major network, despite a handful of respectable shows.

Fox only programs 2 hours most nights just like the CW, though. They obviously program Saturdays and Sundays (something the CW only did on Sundays for a little while before returning it to the stations). And, like you mentioned, they don't produce a nightly news program either.

Are Saturdays and Sundays, generally considered the weakest nights for broadcast, really what we're going to use to differentiate the big 4 from the big 5?

morningbus

yeah i'm totally out of gas at this point
I think comedy shows are harder to be funny about than other shows. Any joke will probably be weaker than the source.

I had thought of something related to that episode in the third season where they show the final episode they'd already filmed with Jenny Lewis as the band leader... but that's too inside baseball and generally not amusing.

Then you go the other direction, like "Comedy Bang Bang out with a whimper" or some shit and that's not good either.

You did your best, Stump Okapowman.

Bluth54

The idea of vampire show where each season is set in different decade is amazing.

Someone could adapt the comic American Vampires. It starts in the late 1800s and every story arc is set later then the last time, sometimes a few years sometimes a few decades. The last arc from the latest graphic novel is set in the 60s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom