• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-16 TV Cancellations: The Beast, having been fed, asks waiter for his bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1025

Banned
This is a smart move. I doubt anyone will miss it. Truly an awful show.

Here let me save you the time (finale spoiler)
at the very end of the season the restaurant explodes with the three main characters inside. Now that the show has been cancelled we can just assume they all died!

What about the Tooth Fairy?!

That's the only thing I remember from the pilot.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Why you gotta hurt Sober's feelings, man.

who.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
One thing to keep in mind is that it's Ausiello. Wild hyperbole is pretty much his default. There's a solid chance it'll be a big nothing.

Okay, the Obama thing is my real guess, but I will add: It could quite possibly be Ausiello himself guest-starring on a show.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I guess I missed this 3 months ago, but you can now subscribe to Seeso through Amazon Prime. It's the same price ($4/month) and you get the same content, you just deal with Amazon's apps and interfaces and payment setup rather than Seeso's. Seeso's website is a fucking useless mess and their web player is shit and they have very few apps and the ones they have suck, so I guess this is better than nothing. *crickets*

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I guess I missed this 3 months ago, but you can now subscribe to Seeso through Amazon Prime. It's the same price ($4/month) and you get the same content, you just deal with Amazon's apps and interfaces and payment setup rather than Seeso's. Seeso's website is a fucking useless mess and their web player is shit and they have very few apps and the ones they have suck, so I guess this is better than nothing. *crickets*

but can you subscribe to Shudder via Amazon??

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Seems like both Seeso and Howl.fm need to get their shit together in terms of web/app interfaces. Funny how they involve so many of the same comedians.

I couldn't finish the first episode of Feed The Beast. Glad they ended it, Schwimmer is fucking terrible.

Edit: Rubicon was kind of interesting, I stopped after couple of episodes since it was slow and was gonna binge it later but since they cancelled it I forgot about it. Is it worth watching?

berzeli

Banned
Is it worth watching?
Yes.
It so is. It is one of the best spy shows ever made. (Even if it doesn't really stick the landing).

Some people go on and on about how "unjust" the cancellation of Firefly was. But they can go fuck themselves because they got Serenity.
This is the one season wonder you should be upset over.

I actually don't believe Firefly is great either. Its fans are pretty delusional about what counts as interesting or not. The reavers were introduced properly, and that scene was fun, but everything else about it is pretty 'eh'. The fact that I can only remember the reavers and their plotline with the movie and not a single damn character (except for maybe Tudyk's leaf thing) tells you how interesting that was.

If you want cowboys, just watch Justified instead.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Probably no one cares, but if someone is looking for yet another international sitcom about people working in a quirky occupation, there's Under The Milky Way, a show about a bunch of misfit astronomers who are working at an Observatory: http://www.c31.org.au/series/2715

I guess I would say it's like Big Bang Theory if the scientists actually worked instead of spend all day talking about Star Wars and having other boring sitcom adventures.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me. Gorram it.

Sober

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
But we won't get a season three...

TheOddOne

- TVLine: Code Black Boss: Christa and Neal's Exits Will Not Be Addressed in Season 2.
Every scenario felt like it was “generated in a writers’ room and not in the real world,” he continues. “We pride ourselves on the show on being as authentic as possible… By not mentioning it at all, it felt like the least offensive way to deal with it,” which, the EP recognizes is “also not realistic.”
Seitzman reasons that “having someone say, ‘Christa moved on to blank, and Neal moved on to blank,'” felt too much like “blatant exposition” and “[not] the way people talk.”

Ultimately, he confesses, “We just never found a good way to address it.”
q_ZP1xxf.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
i mean in real life people generally don't disappear, and if they do, people generally talk about it. so let's not invoke verisimilitude as a reason not to mention a character's absence.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fucking Rubicon getting cancelled was a real kick in the balls.That show was kind of ahead of it's time.

I like to think Truxton changed his name and headed up E-Corp, just to keep thew dream alive.
Heh, I do the same.

That said, re: Rubicon, its finale had some major missteps, so that made it easier to see it get canceled.

berzeli

Banned
I posted about it in the Summer TV thread, but to all those who misses Rubicon (and also if you don't miss it you heartless bastard):
I just finished the first episode of Le Bureau des Légendes, and whilst it is foolish to recommend something just based on one episode I'm going to do just that.

It is the best spy fiction show I've seen for a very long time, yes it is better than The Americans, yes it is better than The Night Manager. I'm almost ready to proclaim it better than Rubicon. I may just be riding high right now, but damn it is a good high.
No word on a US release afaik, but the second you can get your hands on it you should.
Okay, so halfway through Le Bureau des Légendes.

The fear of having resorted to hyperbole in my last post (especially re: the Rubicon comparison) have subsided, the show really is that good.
Mathieu Kassovitz is (unsurprisingly) great in the main role and the writing, the production values and the rest of the cast is all on point. Sure, I wouldn't say no to some more flair in the direction, but that just feels excessive and petty to complain about.
I did skip the most obvious (but superficial) comparison the show has, which is Homeland. But that is because it doesn't feel like Homeland (not even the good season 1 Homeland), it has much more in common with Rubicon and The Honourable Woman/The Shadow Line. And these aren't comparisons I make lightly, those are some of my absolute favourite shows. If this sticks the landing it will join that company.
Can't recommend it highly enough so far, especially if you like spy fiction. Shame that it has only aired in France and Sweden as of writing.
Final post on Le Bureau des Légendes:

That sure was sticking the landing. Jesus.
It was the highlight of my summer TV.

Unfortunately there still doesn't seem to be anyone else who has picked it up. But rest assured that I will mention it if/when it happens.

kevin1025

Banned
I posted about it in the Summer TV thread, but to all those who misses Rubicon (and also if you don't miss it you heartless bastard):

It was the highlight of my summer TV.

Unfortunately there still doesn't seem to be anyone else who has picked it up. But rest assured that I will mention it if/when it happens.

Why must that show be so hard to find?!

berzeli

Banned
Why must that show be so hard to find?!
Because the world hates you.

Or; there is a limited market for "foreign language" shows in English speaking nations (though the UK has improved massively on that front). In the US there pretty much only is Sundance TV in terms of networks airing non English shows and for that they are rewarded with comments like these:
If I had known I'd have to read subtitles or speak farci (or whatever stupid language they're speaking) I wouldn't have wasted my TiVo space! This show sucks.
(The series in question is the rather good series Gomorrah, and the language is Italian but who cares about minor details like that)
Is this whole series sub titled if so you lost my vote . I want to watch and listen not read the screen effing sub titled movies suck you read and can't watch what's going on....see ya

Luckily there also is streaming services like Hulu and Netflix picking up the slack a bit (but only a bit), so far though no one seems to be picking up Le Bureau des Légendes which is madness.

kevin1025

Banned
Because the world hates you.

Or; there is a limited market for "foreign language" shows in English speaking nations (though the UK has improved massively on that front). In the US there pretty much only is Sundance TV in terms of networks airing non English shows and for that they are rewarded with comments like these:

(The series in question is the rather good series Gomorrah, and the language is Italian but who cares about minor details like that)

Luckily there also is streaming services like Hulu and Netflix picking up the slack a bit (but only a bit), so far though no one seems to be picking up Le Bureau des Légendes which is madness.

I'm in Canada, so it can be especially bad at times finding foreign language shows (although we get every single British show here by the looks of it, which is cool). I keep hearing incredible things about Le Bureau des Légendes, too, so it's been tough waiting that one out.

berzeli

Banned
I'm in Canada, so it can be especially bad at times finding foreign language shows (although we get every single British show here by the looks of it, which is cool). I keep hearing incredible things about Le Bureau des Légendes, too, so it's been tough waiting that one out.

One would think that with Quebec and all the joys she brings that French shows would have a home in Canada. But apparently not.

I did however discover that there is an English friendly version! It is up for streaming on Amazon! (UK only?)
So if you're in the UK (or know how to use a VPN) you have no excuse. Watch this show, it is amazing.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
One would think that with Quebec and all the joys she brings that French shows would have a home in Canada. But apparently not.

I did however discover that there is an English friendly version! It is up for streaming on Amazon! (UK only?)
So if you're in the UK (or know how to use a VPN) you have no excuse. Watch this show, it is amazing.

Season 1 is coming to the US, on DVD at least, in December!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FT0ZNVQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I remember a discussion here with people when the 19-2 shoot out scene happened. It seems they're more happy to consume their own culture than to piggyback on French culture. I can understand that. Just because the language is the same doesn't mean the culture is the same. It would be like saying all Americans should just watch British TV because everyone speaks English.

----

I had no idea, but Rizzoli and Isles ended today. It's probably one of those shows that no one that mattered watched (ie, in the demo), and just trucked along for 7 years without making an impact.

Probably the two notable things that I'll take away from all the hours background watching the show is that I'm not surprised that it has a queer following, since the show is in many ways a modern Cagney and Lacey, and that it is one of the few shows that had to deal with the tragic death of an actor and had to find a way to write the actor's death into the show (which I remember being handled fairly well - there's even a small tribute to the actor in the finale, which was a nice touch).

At least there's shitty NCIS episodes to background watch in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom