• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NCAA Tournament March Madness |OT| 67 Teams Vie For Second Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

If UK had lost in the SEC tourney and released the pressure, they'd be locks to win this. It is gonna be a lot tougher mentally now to make it through.

Which has 5-12 game has the most upset potential?

Wofford/Arky IMO.

Wofford is scary.

I know this thread is for the men's tournament, but lol at Princeton's undefeated record getting an 8 seed in the women's bracket

Kentucky to go 39-1 on a last second game winner in the national championship game, calling it now

iamblades

I read that like Arizona got a better deal. The geography and % to go further in the tourney are more important than a lower number next to your name.

^^

Arizona also has the worst losses of any of the 1 seed candidates, aside from the Wisky loss to Rutgers without frank.

A 2 seed is fair bsed on the resume, even if they seem like a 1 seed statistically and by the eyeball test.

nny

I'm from Europe and never payed any attention to US college basketball. However, I'm currently spending some time on the University of Kentucky, so I feel like I should follow the tournament and support the Wildcats.

Selection Sunday has completely destroyed my understanding of what's going on, but from now on there will be just games so it should be easier to follow. ;P

iamblades

I'm from Europe and never payed any attention to US college basketball. However, I'm currently spending some time on the University of Kentucky, so I feel like I should follow the tournament and support the Wildcats.

Selection Sunday has completely destroyed my understanding of what's going on, but from now on there will be just games so it should be easier to follow. ;P

What questions do you have about selection sunday? I'd be happy to answer some questions for a potential new UK fan. :p

It's basically the only way to seed a tournament in a league with 351 teams. As much as people make drama about snubs and mis seeding, it's mostly just for fun. Selection sunday shouldn't have much of an effect on any team who actually has a chance to win the thing.

P.S. GO BIG BLUE!

andycapps

Weird seeing Florida awful in both basketball and football at the same time

It's glorious.

Trying to use past tournament performance to predict the current year's performance is pretty silly. They're 2 completely different teams. And if you're going to insist on it anyway, why would you bet against the coach with the best NCAAT winning percentage?

Sure, I was just wanting to get in an easy dig at Duke losing to such a low seeded team last year. Might also be that I spend so much time in the college football thread where we regularly make comments putting down other teams in good fun.

nny said:

Welcome to the sport. FYI if you pick Kentucky you're essentially picking the Manchester United of the college basketball world. If you're cool with that, then by all means go ahead.

dtcm83

Most joyful/exciting/anxiety-inducing/soul-crushing time of the year.

Perfect season for Kentucky? Very possible, would not be surprised given how beast that team is. Am excited to see potential Virginia and Nova matchup in E8, those teams are fun to watch.

Here in Spokane you have the Gonzaga Bulldogs looking to prove they are more than a first/second weekend tourney team (again), and a hungry (and offensively outstanding) Eastern Washington Eagles team. The atmosphere around here (radio, tv, people you talk to) is absolutely electric.

Go Zags.

Bowser

XBkbSZ6.png

mj-laughing.gif

dtcm83

Even I began tempering my predictions for Zags tourney success a few years ago, although they are my go-to team to follow every year. Deeper runs will likely require a team with at least 2-4 legit NBA prospects, not just 1 or 2 here and there (Olynyk, Morrison).

Garryk

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Hope Hogs can get their first tourney win since 2008, then a possible rematch from 08 with UNC in the round of 32.

andycapps

lol!! I know you've been waiting for this day.

You have no idea.

Honestly, it's just weird to me that Florida was so bad this year. Didn't even make the NIT, first time since Donovan's first season that this has happened. I mean, that's normal for us, but hasn't been the case for Florida in a long time. If we could just get better players I think we could be pretty good as I think our coach is a good in-game coach.

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Hope Hogs can get their first tourney win since 2008, then a possible rematch from 08 with UNC in the round of 32.

Yeah a rematch against UNC would be a lot more in our favor this time around, at least in theory. Beating Wofford is going to be tough, though.

Bowser

Yeah a rematch against UNC would be a lot more in our favor this time around, at least in theory. Beating Wofford is going to be tough, though.

Eh, I dunno about that. Arkansas is basically a worse version of UNC per Kenpom:

UNC: 12 Off Eff, 45 Def Eff, 10th in Adjusted Tempo, #2 SoS
Arkansas: 21 Off Eff, 81 Def Eff, 9th in Adjusted Tempo, #62 SoS

UNC always struggles with the grind it out teams like UVa (349 in AdjT) and Louisville (121 in AdjT). High possession, run-and-gun plays to our strengths.

bill1148

Banned
Unlike last year this year is top heavy. The #1 seeds combine for 9 losses, the fewest since 2008- the last and only time all four #1 seeds met for the Final Four.

Last year I picked Florida, but wasn't comfortable with it, yet I also didn't see anyone else who stood out. This year I'll be genuinely shocked if a 1 or 2 seed doesn't win it all. Heck, I think you can even toss out Virginia (no offense and no Anderson), Duke (weak defense), and Kansas (just a weak #2 seed).

That leaves Kentucky, Villanova, Gonzaga, Wisconsin, and Arizona as the serious contenders. One of them should take it. Think I'd even bet against Kentucky too, just because it's so hard to finish undefeated.

Doodis

I need to fill out a bracket. I don't follow sports..at all. Can I just steal the picks in the OP's bracket, or is there someplace else that predicts winners well? This is just with people at my work, not a huge deal.

DarkFlow

Banned
I need to fill out a bracket. I don't follow sports..at all. Can I just steal the picks in the OP's bracket, or is there someplace else that predicts winners well? This is just with people at my work, not a huge deal.
Yahoo has a option to do popular picks.

Eh, I dunno about that. Arkansas is basically a worse version of UNC per Kenpom:

UNC: 12 Off Eff, 45 Def Eff, 10th in Adjusted Tempo, #2 SoS
Arkansas: 21 Off Eff, 81 Def Eff, 9th in Adjusted Tempo, #62 SoS

UNC always struggles with the grind it out teams like UVa (349 in AdjT) and Louisville (121 in AdjT). High possession, run-and-gun plays to our strengths.

I'm not saying we'd be the favorites against UNC. I don't think you remember when we played you the last time, but you were by far the favorites to win it all and we barely snuck into the tournament. My point is that we'd no longer be huge underdogs and would actually stand a fighting chance.

I clicked the link to the negoaf bracket pool but I cannot see my name on the pool list but it says I am joined. I didn't use a password to join.

How do I know if I have joined the group properly?

Is Georgetown in a kinda trap game? Having to travel far against a team that's almost a home game?

I've learned to always pick against Georgetown after having them in my final 4 a few years ago and getting knocked out in the first round. Helps that I can be biased this year too (my mom went to EWU and I may go there soon too).

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
is it just me or does yahoo's pick selection set up suck ass? I can't make any picks. Drag and dropping doesn't work.

EDIT: Figured it out. Still can't drag and drop though. Fuck off, Yahoo. Why do we use this garbage even CFB too, anyways?

Bowser

I've learned to always pick against Georgetown after having them in my final 4 a few years ago and getting knocked out in the first round. Helps that I can be biased this year too (my mom went to EWU and I may go there soon too).

Fucking Georgetown had to knock off '06-'07 UNC in the Elite 8. My freshman year at Carolina, we had a beastly team with Lawson/Ellington/Green/Wright/Hansbrough. Up 8 or 10 points with 7 min left and then completely choked the game away.

DarkFlow

Banned
These teams are not very good. I feel bad for the winner who has to play KY.

Not much Madness from Gaf for the first game.

is it just me or does yahoo's pick selection set up suck ass? I can't make any picks. Drag and dropping doesn't work.

EDIT: Figured it out. Still can't drag and drop though. Fuck off, Yahoo. Why do we use this garbage even CFB too, anyways?

oh yeah, I have the same problem, why does Yahoo's stuff suck so much anyway?

(how did you make it work)

Fjordson

Got my picks in.

I have ISU going to the final four in all my brackets so far. This is like the third year in a row I've picked them and it'll probably bite me in the ass once again, but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom