• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Only Place Where Compression Isn't

Nick Pal

That was me, although I think I said there were three shades - and I meant it! You're right though, your settings really help change the mood of the game and IMO improve its appearance. Vanilla Far Cry 3 is one of the many games that suffered from an unintentional cartoony/plasticky look, so countering that with ReShade is probably something I'll do if I play it again at some point.

Cheers, although credit goes to the talented modders out there who give us the tools. It was definitely cartoonish before..I laugh at myself now how I thought some of the earlier screens looked great at the time. Without exaggerating it really feels like an entirely new game now.

farcry3_240aykea.jpg

Lime

Maybe it's because I never played the original Homeworld, but this game just feels clunky to me. I can barely figure out how to play it optimally, let alone take screenshots of it O_O

It's a different sort of game in a different time. I use the Focus camera option ("F) a lot to orient where I am looking and then I zoom out to get an overview and give orders to ships. The usual approach is Group Key -> F -> Zoom Out -> Give orders. I also use Pause in case things get too hectic.

Regarding screenshots: Use the Pause function (or Octagon's CE table) if you want to pause it and take your time finding the proper scene and angle.

BONKERS

It captures the strange 3D rendered art style of the original perfectly. Dear lawd.

I have to hand it over to the console devs. You can really hide terrible texture quality, low-resolution and non-existent anti-aliasing behind a mountain of motion blur, cinematic bars, film grain and depth of field and tell people that they have incredible IQ.

deadspace2015-02-241842jvc.png

deadspace2015-02-24187nsze.png

With that said, not many people are the biggest fan of heavy post-processing - YMMV.

Not aimed at you specifically;

Film is exactly like this, and the same exact scenarios of film on blu-ray are described as such having incredible IQ.
(Let alone the fact that incredible IQ with real time rendering goes beyond just slapping a ton of Post processing effects together sloppily, unlike what 8/10 shots trying to sarcastically and poorly emulate what The Order does have. Temporal stability, cohesive purpose and design.)
Exactlywhat the developers wanted to achieve, alongside physically based lighting and shading. Film isn't perfect, or 100% ultra sharp with every little detail in focus

Except I forget people aren't allowed to have different perspectives than ones that don't care for it.

Yeah man, games should just be homogenous right?.
iepvBo7QYhVw9.jpg

Nick Pal

A PC port of a mobile game.. atleast it doesn't look as bad as I thought it was going to be

BOob.png

9Oob.png

I'm playing this on my tablet and it looks great. Some of the battles are challenging and only give you a split second to decide your attack but I like that..the game was free too so I can't complain.

Far Cry 3 with custom Mastereffect Reborn settings.

farcry3_221xxkg0.jpg

farcry3_239o2uui.jpg

TheTrain

Maybe it's because I never played the original Homeworld, but this game just feels clunky to me. I can barely figure out how to play it optimally, let alone take screenshots of it O_O

Rebind the camera movement to wasd [rf for up & down movement] or try to abuse of the "point focus" [F] and the tactical view. :p

iVCzgWhXMXMr0.jpg

iBbURaA0bhPeU.jpg

It captures the strange 3D rendered art style of the original perfectly. Dear lawd.

Film is exactly like this, and the same exact scenarios of film on blu-ray are described as such having incredible IQ.
(Let alone the fact that incredible IQ with real time rendering goes beyond just slapping a ton of Post processing effects together sloppily, unlike what 8/10 shots trying to sarcastically and poorly emulate what The Order does have. Temporal stability, cohesive purpose and design.)
Exactlywhat the developers wanted to achieve, alongside physically based lighting and shading. Film isn't perfect, or 100% ultra sharp with every little detail in focus

Except I forget people aren't allowed to have different perspectives than ones that don't care for it.

iepvBo7QYhVw9.jpg

Those are all good points, but good IQ is still good IQ. What is good or not is generally relative to your own situation. If you're a film maker, mildly blurry 1080p is as good as it's going to get unless you've got access to 4K cameras. However, in games, good IQ is not mildly blurry 1080p. Good IQ is downsampling from 4K+, temporal anti-aliasing and sharp, well defined edges, textures and post-processing. Whether or not you like perfectly clean IQ is up to you, but as far as games are concerned, The Order: 1886 isn't as good as it could be, although I will concede that its temporal stability is, indeed, fantastic.

Far Cry 3 with custom Mastereffect Reborn settings.

farcry3_221xxkg0.jpg

farcry3_239o2uui.jpg

May I ask why haven't you got rid of that TERRIBLE dof FC3 has? It makes me feel like vomiting. Since depthbuffer from ReShade works in that game you would be better off using one of the dof shaders included in MasterEffect or disabling dof completely. Doing either one would make a lot of those screens better by a large margin.

Nick Pal

May I ask why haven't you got rid of that TERRIBLE dof FC3 has? It makes me feel like vomiting. Since depthbuffer from ReShade works in that game you would be better off using one of the dof shaders included in MasterEffect or disabling dof completely. Doing either one would make a lot of those screens better by a large margin.

I've had a few people mention the horrid DOF in this game. When you say terrible I take it you mean it's too washed out or blurred and hides the mountain details? I tried both Matso's and another option in Mastereffect but it hardly made a difference. I'll try what you mentioned and play around with the settings to see if I can improve it. Cheers.

SliChillax

I've had a few people mention the horrid DOF in this game. When you say terrible I take it you mean it's too washed out or blurred and hides the mountain details? I tried both Matso's and another option in Mastereffect but it hardly made a difference. I'll try what you mentioned and play around with the settings to see if I can improve it. Cheers.

I don't mind depth of field that much but in some games like Far Cry 3 when depth of field creates a pixelated effect I turn it off.

misho8723

Banned
I'm playing this on my tablet and it looks great. Some of the battles are challenging and only give you a split second to decide your attack but I like that..the game was free too so I can't complain.

So far I'm having surprisingly a pretty good time with the game..

BPob.png

CPob.png

TheRed

Checking out some AC3 because I've never gone through the lengthy tutorials before and after dozens of hours in Unity I wanted to change it up. And wow even if the game is dull, immediately the grass distance blows away Unity
and I think the grass even mostly looks nicer, also I like the lighting while Unity looks fantastic it is definitely overdone at times outside. This game I like it looks more natural and feels like a cool New England atmosphere. Plus Connor's animations are fantastic possibly even smoother than Arno.

16656684855_5609e8a05d_o.jpg

16655281351_f9847405ce_o.jpg

misho8723

Banned
I have that on Android but have yet to play it, and I'd much prefer it on PC heh. How is the game? And can it be played with a controller?

You cannot play the game with a controller.. m+kb only.. so far I like the game - heavy story driven.. many choices but how big or important the consequences are I cannot say right now.. combat is turn based, heavy with QTE but they are not annoying, and overall the combat isn't as shallow as you would think it is - you need to know when and which attack to use, when to drink some potion, etc... game has good atmosphere - the story so far is interesting.. you can avoid some combat situations if you have the right skill or you choose the right option.. the graphics are of course nothing special, but in my opinion they are ok.. yeah, game is a nice surprise for me, because till this week I have never heard of this game and suddenly I want to play only this game :)

Nick Pal

Checking out some AC3 because I've never gone through the lengthy tutorials before and after dozens of hours in Unity I wanted to change it up. And wow even if the game is dull, immediately the grass distance blows away Unity
and I think the grass even mostly looks nicer, also I like the lighting while Unity looks fantastic it is definitely overdone at times outside. This game I like it looks more natural and feels like a cool New England atmosphere. Plus Connor's animations are fantastic possibly even smoother than Arno.

16656684855_5609e8a05d_o.jpg

16655281351_f9847405ce_o.jpg

There are some great mods for this and Reshade 2.0 and sweetfx work flawlessly with it. I'll be playing this soon and tinkering around with a few Mastereffect settings.

galv

Unconfirmed Member

iepvBo7QYhVw9.jpg

I wasn't exactly bashing the Order per-say, actually quite the opposite. I'm actually a fan of the fact that heavy post-processing can make a game look good and filmic if you will. With that said, I actually think the Order is fairly poor in terms of image quality (when it comes to still screenshots) but looks good in motion. Let me explain.

Look at most movies or film - if you try get a still image from a movie, as a photo or as an image, they're pretty much motion blurred to shit, and there's no clear focus. Sure you can argue that there's an abstract quality but these don't generally have any artistic value. If that weren't true, you'd see motion blurred action sequences on movie posters where you can't make out the movie star's face from his hand - not generally a good idea, even as bullshots. However, most good looking movies have great still scenes, which can look incredible and these make for great photos/screenshots (due to having the texture quality and post-processing quality of well, real life). This is image quality, in context of a screenshot thread.

Unfortunately, by using post-processing in games like the Order, or hell, even all the Order imitating ReShade screenshots (including my own), when the game is still, you can see underneath all the grain, blur, depth and it no longer looks as good, hence my quip about poor image quality.

However, take a screenshot of it in motion, and it looks exactly like a paused movie frame - and I think there is a certain artistic value in a GAME in motion trying to imitate a movie and coming pretty damned close as opposed to a movie in motion.

My screenshots aren't trying to bash The Order. I'm merely attempting to replicate what The Order did so well to try to make an older game look and feel good in motion to play, almost 7 years after its release (and trying to mask for my own sanity how terrible the textures on Isaac's suit look...). After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

By terrible I mean that it's VERY low quality dof. More like a pixelated blur filter which was just placed in the distance. If you plan on using dof through ReShade, play around with MagicDOF. It's very light on resources and probably the easiest to use :)

By terrible I mean that it's VERY low quality dof. More like a pixelated blur filter which was just placed in the distance. If you plan on using dof through ReShade, play around with MagicDOF. It's very light on resources and probably the easiest to use :)

Near Weapon DOF is hard to reproduce with reshade in my experience (depth of field being applied to the rear-end of a gun... constantly as well in irons sights). Wish the controls were less opaque and more... fine grain!

Near Weapon DOF is hard to reproduce with reshade in my experience (depth of field being applied to the rear-end of a gun... constantly as well in irons sights). Wish the controls were less opaque and more... fine grain!

I did that with the Metro Redux preset I linked here. It has near dof from ReShade and it works pretty well. But the near focus keeps jumping, the weapon comes more in focus the closer the thing you're pointing it is and when it's pointed towards the end of a tunnel (far away) the weapon goes out of focus... As I was tweaking ReShade for BL PreSequel I was able to have static distance dof at the same time as near dof but I don't remember how... Maybe used multiple dof shaders at once or just mindlessly found the right parameters.

Top Bottom