• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Only Place Where Compression Isn't

Dragon Age Inquisition

Illb.jpg

Qllb.jpg

robgrab

Exactly what I said to someone on Flickr. I actually think this type of DOF looks better in older games, but I've also been totally spoiled by A:I.

Although I haven't played Alien Isolation yet the Depth of Field is the best I've ever seen. Hopefully someone can port that to ReShade.

DoF can also be a game changer in NEW games with very OLD lod issues (I'm looking at you, Unity). I'd love to use Depth of Field to add some blur to distant scenery, but unfortunately ReShade isn't getting the depth buffer properly for that game.

I'm also having depth buffer issues with System Shock 2. Depth of Field works perfect, as long as your hands aren't showing. Might be an issue with your hand being too close to the camera. The other issue with DoF is it affects the HUD. That being said this is a phenomenal first attempt at incorporating DoF into games. It's literally plug and play for the most part. Although there are parameters you can tweak most of the time the default works just fine. I'm excited to see how this matures over time. All I want now is a way to inject SMAA again.

The performance cost for ReShade isn't much at all so long as you keep the quality of the depth of field around 4 or 5.

I'm still playing with the settings a lot, so I don't have any 1 config that I could give you. Everything I'm tweaking is in the Master Effect Reborn shaders (which you can find here).

For Depth of Field, I'm using

Code:
#define USE_GP65CJ042DOF

The settings for that are under

Code:
//GP65CJ042 DEPTH OF FIELD

I tweak the settings for each screenshot, seeing as I'm moving the camera all over the place. If you need help understanding the settings, let me know and I can try and help explain them.

I also use the COLORMOOD and CROSSPROCESS shaders a lot.

Are there any cool areas to screenshot from later in the game? These shots are coming out gorgeous.

Yes. It would require me to play through the game again though, which I've already done twice. ReShade might motivate me to keep going. We'll see. I kinda wanna mess around with Sleeping Dogs a bit though.

Here's a LotF shot from Natty.Dread with ReShade (I'm sure he wouldn't mind me posting it)

tKenefd.png

robgrab

There are three different DoF shaders in Master Effect Reborn. I personally prefer MATSODOF because it's more subtle than the others and has very little impact on performance. The only parameter I change is I enable AUTOFOCUS.

RK9039

There are three different DoF shaders in Master Effect Reborn. I personally prefer MATSODOF because it's more subtle than the others and has very little impact on performance. The only parameter I change is I enable AUTOFOCUS.

I'll probably check that one out, the one I was using is a bit too much.

I wonder if The Evil Within works, that game can look really nice.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Combat with depth buffer visualization. Kinda cool. And the game runs super smooth :p

15597084503_327811b214_o.png

That does actually look really cool.

Also, could you just post an example of your DoF settings, nothign specific. I just have no idea what are reasonable ranges for things. Like should far dof clip be 5, 10, 50, 150? I don't know what are expected values so it's hard to just play around and see.

That does actually look really cool.

Also, could you just post an example of your DoF settings, nothign specific. I just have no idea what are reasonable ranges for things. Like should far dof clip be 5, 10, 50, 150? I don't know what are expected values so it's hard to just play around and see.

I only tweak GP65CJ042's DoF shader. Just start messing with numbers and you'll get a good feel for how they work. This is how I understand most of the settings that I actually use:

#define DEPTH_OF_FIELD_QULITY
6-7 = Cuts your FPS in half. Screenshot quality DoF.
4-5 = Better performance without looking too terrible.

#define NearBlurCurve
Defines how strong the blur is up until the focal point.
1-2 = Very strong blur closer to the camera
4 = More gradual and spread out up until the focal point
100 = Near blur is disabled

#define FarBlurCurve
Defines how strong the blur is after the focal point
1 - 1.5 = Very strong blur.
2 - 2.5 = Blur kicks in much more gradually beyond the focal point
100 = Far blur is disabled

#define ManualFocusDepth
Defines where your focal point is based on a distance.
1 = Focal point would be right in front of the camera. Most of your scene would be blurred
10 = Roughly the focal distance in this shot

Play around and you'll get a good feel for how high you need this to be for your scene

#define RadiusSacleMultipiler
How strong the blurring is. At native resolution, 3-4 is pretty strong. But when downsampling, I sometimes have turn this up to 9-10 to get teh same effect. I think he meant "scale" and not "sacle."

#define BokehPostBlur
How much additional blur is applied to the bokeh shapes. This can smooth them out or make them sharper, depending on what you want. I mostly stick to 1.5

#define ChromaticAberrationAmount
Fuck this

Spazznid

Horse taming and breeding is literally my chosen profession. There are some sick looking breeds, but it's going to take a while for me to get them. Till then...

15595153384_163579fa70_o.png

16031729507_a6a13a9de7_o.png

RK9039

I only tweak GP65CJ042's DoF shader. Just start messing with numbers and you'll get a good feel for how they work. This is how I understand most of the settings that I actually use:

Yup thanks for this. I was just putting in completely random numbers.

Also those Black Desert shots are sweet.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Seeing that gets me hot for the GTA5 screens in here soon. Playing the PS4 version and it obviously looks nice, and even incredible at times but the dudes with i7/980s combos are gonna have some near lifelike shit I think.

Hoping I can get my bills sorted out so my next check is free to maybe get a 970 or something for it. I don't think I can justify a 980 right now :(

I'm really leaning towards getting a second 970 this month, lol.
Everything is in place. Just need the card and a bridge.

Top Bottom