• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Console Screenshot Thread (READ RULES IN OP)

Sebmugi

1467642146-doom-20160704163506.png

1467642147-doom-20160704163207.png

zooL

it's... beautiful! yesterday i zoomed in on a door in hell and looked at the details for 10 minutes. the art and the engine are amazing! :O

valkyre

I honestly dont understand the excessive praise in regards to Doom's graphics.

Dont misunderstand me, its beautiful and very good looking game. But it doesnt look to me all that godlike.

If its all about 60 fps then ok, I guess its subjective, but to me the game lacks in many departments compared to other games. Textures are seriously lacking, its a game that takes place in mostly confined spaces and even the more "open areas" are not that open, lighting doesnt look like something to right home about, I just dont see it.

Its a very good looking game. Polished. But thats about that. It didnt make my jaw drop or anything...

Figured I might as well start unloading some of my UC4 shots before I don't care to anymore. Took a ton when the game first came out but never got to posting anything.

Photomode, no filters

m2uv3j.png

hRfwJA.png

dr guildo

Dont misunderstand me, its beautiful and very good looking game. But it doesnt look to me all that godlike.

If its all about 60 fps then ok, I guess its subjective, but to me the game lacks in many departments compared to other games. Textures are seriously lacking, its a game that takes place in mostly confined spaces and even the more "open areas" are not that open, lighting doesnt look like something to right home about, I just dont see it.

Its a very good looking game. Polished. But thats about that. It didnt make my jaw drop or anything...

I invite you to visit this thread from a plasma tvset or an ipad retina screen to see how powerful are doom's textures, colors, and material's fidelity and lighting. It's just amazing !

Caayn

I invite you to visit this thread from a plasma tvset or an ipad retina screen to see how powerful are doom's textures, colors, and material's fidelity and lighting. It's just amazing !
Apple's retina screen is nothing more than a standard high PPI LCD screen aka a marketing term that caught on (sadly).

nOoblet16

Well the bolded is just objectively incorrect.
Also the textures " seriously lacking" is incorrect too, they are no worse or better than their contemporaries.

Oneself

Doom looks really good for a 1080p / 60fps console game. At least the PS4 version.

Reflections, IQ, most effects and character models are all top notch. Textures, lighting and background geometry appear a bit inconsistent though. But with all the action and numerous demons on screen, it doesn't matter.

dr guildo

Apple's retina screen is nothing more than a standard high PPI LCD screen aka a marketing term that caught on (sadly).

Maybe, but I judge a screen with my eyes first, and when I compare my panny plasma with my PC screen, and my Ipad, the closest one to my panny in term of contrast and colors, is my Ipad.

Caayn

Maybe, but I judge a screen with my eyes first, and when I compare my panny plasma with my PC screen, and my Ipad, I'm sorry for you but the closest to my panny in term of contrast and colors, is my Ipad.
There are a lot of reasons why that's the case, and I don't recall that I claimed otherwise.

Javin98

Banned

I don't own the game yet, but from what I've seen, it's definitely worth the praise it got. The lighting isn't something to write home about? Hmm, your opinion, perhaps, but the lighting looks amazing. It is true that the game takes place in confined areas, but isn't The Order similar in this regard? Yet The Order was generally called the best looking game before Uncharted 4 came out. Above all else, I'm impressed by how good the post processing looks. From the videos I watched, the motion blur and bokeh depth of field look amazing. Shame these are sub par in Uncharted 4.

Ugh, I really miss Ciri. Great shots, BTW.

valkyre

I game on a plasma tv Panasonic VT - 60.

Granted I monitor this thread from my work PC which isnt anything worth mentioning about.

Let me stress again for everyone, the game looks amazing. But I dont know, maybe GAF hyped me so much over this game's visuals that I expected more. The repetitive gameplay which apparently isnt my cup of tea, perhaps also contributed a bit.

I don't own the game yet, but from what I've seen, it's definitely worth the praise it got. The lighting isn't something to write home about? Hmm, your opinion, perhaps, but the lighting looks amazing. It is true that the game takes place in confined areas, but isn't The Order similar in this regard? Yet The Order was generally called the best looking game before Uncharted 4 came out. Above all else, I'm impressed by how good the post processing looks. From the videos I watched, the motion blur and bokeh depth of field look amazing. Shame these are sub par in Uncharted 4.

Ugh, I really miss Ciri. Great shots, BTW.

While The Order was very impressive/CGI like, those damn bars as well as the fact that the IQ was quite blurry (heard they gave the option to remove that now) as well as the almost grayscale palette put me off. Nevermind i consider it a horrible game as well.

Uncharted 4 I think looks best of the bunch, taking into account everything, from textures, to vegetation, polycount, animation, level variation shaders, lighting etc etc.

Then there is ofcourse Driveclub which looks as close to photo real as it gets for me.

So yeah Doom looks awesome, but after these games, it doesnt floor me.

Javin98

Banned
While The Order was very impressive/CGI like, those damn bars as well as the fact that the IQ was quite blurry (heard they gave the option to remove that now) as well as the almost grayscale palette put me off. Nevermind i consider it a horrible game as well.

Uncharted 4 I think looks best of the bunch, taking into account everything, from textures, to vegetation, polycount, animation, level variation shaders, lighting etc etc.

Then there is ofcourse Driveclub which looks as close to photo real as it gets for me.

So yeah Doom looks awesome, but after these games, it doesnt floor me.
To be fair, if you were expecting a 60FPS game on consoles to match the very best visuals of 30FPS games like Uncharted 4, The Order and DriveClub, you were probably setting yourself up for a disappointment. I don't want to place my judgement yet since I don't have DOOM yet, but it arguably looks as good, if not, slightly better than Battlefront. Not sure what's to be disappointed about, to be honest. Maybe next time keep your expectations in check?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Having played the demo, it looks very impressive in motion, since it's gorgeous and runs buttery smooth. IMO the screenshots don't do it justice, but I guess they rarely do unless it's photo mode trickery, really. :p

Doom looks really good for a 1080p / 60fps console game. At least the PS4 version.

Reflections, IQ, most effects and character models are all top notch. Textures, lighting and background geometry appear a bit inconsistent though. But with all the action and numerous demons on screen, it doesn't matter.
This.

1467748432-dark-souls-tm-iii-20160704012222.png

Top Bottom