• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Whoa, that dell 2512 is an absolute steal. £400 in the U.K, may pick that up for myself.

Was planning on waiting till next year and getting a new Alienware 15 with a 1070 but if I can pick that up so cheap, purely for playing WoW, I may just go for it.

£400 for that? Wow.

Just know that the GTX 960M is literally a GTX 750 Ti. Will that be good enough?

my friend has Sager NP9377 with SLI GTX880m
and want to replace them at least with one GTX 1080 or GTX 1070.

Xotic PC told him he can't because of the motherboard
that's weird,i know he should be able to use any card with the same size.

Maxwell to Pascal isn't possible right now, sadly.

Do you guys think we can expect a Dell XPS 15 update with GeForce 10xxM GPUs soon?

You should never expect a machine, based on completely unannounced technology, "soon".

Later sounds good. Much later sounds better.

Maximum budget: ~£200
Max size: 15"
Planned usage: Everyday use such as watching movies, sports streams, youtube, and browsing the web.

Getting rid of my desktop and looking to get a laptop instead, budget is around £150-220, I've seen a couple that I'm interested in but I don't really have any day to day experience with the type I'm looking at. Both are Dell Inspirons but one is an i3-4005u and the other an i3-3217u, is the performance a big enough leap to go for the 4005u or can I save some money and buy the older cpu instead. Thanks

The 2 CPUs are in the same ballpark. 1.8Ghz Ivy Bridge as 1.7Ghz Haswell isn't going to be much of a difference. You might as well save the money.

Apparently the Kaby Lake XPS13 has already gone on sale, without any kind of announcement. Just a silent refresh.

The 15 will probably come later with more fuss made about it though, since the new GPU should be beast.

K.Jack

The Options: I currently only have about $400 saved up. So this is really looking out about 9 months or so, to next summer.

There's absolutely no point in discussing this now.

In 9 months we'll be talking about Zen, Vega, Volta, and whatever incremental upgrade Intel poops out.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The last one didn't come out lightning fast, so I'm not really expecting it in this case to come out day and date with the 1050/1050ti.

This is completely based on nothing but my anus, so take it for what it's worth, but I'm expecting early next year for it.

You should never expect a machine, based on completely unannounced technology, "soon".

You guys :(.

I wish some brands had a good alternative to the XPS 13/15 line: smaller form-factor, good build quality and reliability, clean, non-gamer design (i.e. no flashy colors, accents or weird angles, unlike Razer, Alienware and MSI), 1080p matte/non-touch screen, thin, fairly quiet, and obviously quadcore + dedicated GPU for the 15" line, possibly USB-C. Basically a Windows Macbook Air/Pro with more ports. If there is one, I don't know it. I thought ASUS would be the answer for a while, but it turns out their quality control is horrendous apparently, so no dice there. Samsung has one such 13" model I think - name escapes me -, but of course it's only available in the US, not Europe.

£400 for that? Wow.

Just know that the GTX 960M is literally a GTX 750 Ti. Will that be good enough?

Maxwell to Pascal isn't possible right now, sadly.

The 2 CPUs are in the same ballpark. 1.8Ghz Ivy Bridge as 1.7Ghz Haswell isn't going to be much of a difference. You might as well save the money.

Yeah there's an offer on Amazon UK where you're getting £347 off it.

I'd rather have the Alienware for the external GPU chassis looking at future options, but if I can have something for £400 that does a better job of a MacBook Pro with a 650m, rather than paying £2K it seems like a good idea.

mjc

Is it normal for the CPU temps to reach 80C during gaming? Since Overwatch came out I've been leaving stats up on the top left corner, and my general temps used to run between 65-75C. In the last month, my CPU tends to get up to 80C during matches. Should I be concerned?

Mikaju

Yeah there's an offer on Amazon UK where you're getting £347 off it.

I'd rather have the Alienware for the external GPU chassis looking at future options, but if I can have something for £400 that does a better job of a MacBook Pro with a 650m, rather than paying £2K it seems like a good idea.

This Dell seems like incredible deal but I cant find it from Amazon UK?

I am too trying to update my aging 2012 retina Macbook pro with 650m. I already have HP Omen ordered with 1070 but I'm not sure right now if I want pay so much for it.

Moongazer

This Dell seems like incredible deal but I cant find it from Amazon UK?

I am too trying to update my aging 2012 retina Macbook pro with 650m. I already have HP Omen ordered with 1070 but I'm not sure right now if I want pay so much for it.
It was a scam seller with no feedback. If it looks too good to be true it generally is. I was looking on Amazon for laptops and the same guy was putting up offers all over on a whole bunch of laptops some really expensive ones and offering them for 400 quid or less. Dodgy as hell and seems like Amazon too him off now fortunately.

I have been looking at two laptops and trying to decide between:

1. ASUS N551VW
i7-6700HQ
2 TB Plus 128 GB SSD
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX960M 2GB

2. Dell 7559
i7-6700HQ
1 TB Plus 8 GB SSD
8 GB RAMB
NVIDIA GT960M 4 GB

Both are similarly priced at around £850. The Asus seems to have better specs for the price to me and the larger HDD could be useful too. Before I decide I'd like to know if the 2gb version of the 960m is a dealbreaker and if it is worth going for the 4gb version which the Dell has over the Asus?

K.Jack

I
I have been looking at two laptops and trying to decide between:

1. ASUS N551VW
i7-6700HQ
2 TB Plus 128 GB SSD
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX960M 2GB

2. Dell 7559
i7-6700HQ
1 TB Plus 8 GB SSD
8 GB RAMB
NVIDIA GT960M 4 GB

Both are similarly priced at around £850. The Asus seems to have better specs for the price to me and the larger HDD could be useful too. Before I decide I'd like to know if the 2gb version of the 960m is a dealbreaker and if it is worth going for the 4gb version which the Dell has over the Asus?
When in doubt, think like this:

Let's assume that both the extra HDD space and extra VRAM prove to be worthwhile and useful. Each laptop has something the other doesn't. Which is more easily and inexpensively replaceable, down the line?

1. A 5400rpm HDD
2. 2GB of extra VRAM

No need to answer that. To gain one, you buy a cheap HDD; for the other, you buy a new laptop. I posit that the HDD should be irrelevant to the decision. Of everything involved it's the cheapest component, next to the system RAM.

Cindro

Hey everyone - I know this thread isn't the best fit for my question, but I didn't want to start a new one for something that's probably an easy answer from people in the know.

I'm looking to connect my macbook to my HD TV. That's it! It shouldn't be complicated, but I tried looking for a USB to HDMI cable (my macbook doesn't have an HDMI port), and the listings on amazon were so confusing.

I know I could get Apple TV and do airplay, but my xbone takes care of most of my streaming app needs. I just want to log in to some sports stations with my parents' cable credentials on my mac and stream it to my TV.

What do I buy?

Genki

There was a pretty siginificant cashback offer on laptops with Windows in Norway recently, so I took advantage of it even though I'd planned to wait a bit longer.
The price disparity between MSI et. al. and local Clevo reseller Multicom is extreme here. Ended up with a 1070 Clevo 15 incher. Barely played a few hours of Doom after setting everything up, but it doesn't seem overly hot or loud so far =). Performance is of course a revelation coming from a 860m. Looks fairly inconspicuous as well.

K.Jack

Hey everyone - I know this thread isn't the best fit for my question, but I didn't want to start a new one for something that's probably an easy answer from people in the know.

I'm looking to connect my macbook to my HD TV. That's it! It shouldn't be complicated, but I tried looking for a USB to HDMI cable (my macbook doesn't have an HDMI port), and the listings on amazon were so confusing.

I know I could get Apple TV and do airplay, but my xbone takes care of most of my streaming app needs. I just want to log in to some sports stations with my parents' cable credentials on my mac and stream it to my TV.

What do I buy?

From what I've read, it seems, any USB to HDMI adapter will be sufficient. USB 3.0 preferred.

There was a pretty siginificant cashback offer on laptops with Windows in Norway recently, so I took advantage of it even though I'd planned to wait a bit longer.
The price disparity between MSI et. al. and local Clevo reseller Multicom is extreme here. Ended up with a 1070 Clevo 15 incher. Barely played a few hours of Doom after setting everything up, but it doesn't seem overly hot or loud so far =). Performance is of course a revelation coming from a 860m. Looks fairly inconspicuous as well.

Nice pickup. Post and let us know what you think, after a few days.

I think that one has the SABRE HiFi DAC. You have any decent headphones you can test.

saad1

Banned
hi

is it good time to buy dell xps 15?
or should i wait?

(where do you buy dell products online?)
i'm from SA but i'm considering shipping ^^

grumble

hi

is it good time to buy dell xps 15?
or should i wait?

(where do you buy dell products online?)
i'm from SA but i'm considering shipping ^^

It should hopefully be refreshed in the next few months to the new generation of GeForce cards, with a big power bump. Hard to say when though! I'm waiting too.

What do I buy?

You need a display port to HDMI cable or a thunderbolt to HDMI cable.

Hello,
can you help me, I can't chose between these two laptop

MSI GP62 6QF-609FR Leopard Pro: http://www.ldlc.be/fiche/PB00204225.html
ASUS GL552VW-DM802D: http://www.ldlc.be/fiche/PB00213591.html

thank you

I have that ASUS and it's a very good laptop. It never gets too hot when playing anything and the exhaust vent is on the left hand side rather than at the back of the laptop which is much better if you are using it on your lap.

My ASUS also came with a backpack, headphones/headset and a gaming mouse that wasn't listed so not sure if every one just comes like that.

The main difference between those two is that the MSI comes with Windows but without an SSD and the ASUS comes without Windows but with an SSD.

So it basically comes down to which one you want to spend money on, buying windows will probably be cheaper and easier than installing an SSD, not that it's difficult to do mind you.

Tizoc

Budget: somewhere in the $500 range but max we would pay is $800
Usage: other than using ms office, watching videos
Ok so i lookd up surface pro 4 and my sister is interested in getting it esp as it serves as an ipad/tablet

She has no interest in games but i notice that it comes in i7 and i5 models far as cpu goes and thr ram is between 8 and 16 gb
As we are looking for a cheap model what ould be the cheapest best option?

Fenzo

Neo Member
I found an ASUS GL502VT-FY148T,with an i5-6300HQ, 2.3 GHz, 16 GB ram, HDD 1 TB and a SSD 128 GB, nVidia GeForce GTX 970M, 3 GB at 930 euros. This is 30€ over my maximum badget but anyway, Can I buy it or should I wait for 1050 gtx laptop?

K.Jack

Hello,
can you help me, I can't chose between these two laptop

MSI GP62 6QF-609FR Leopard Pro: http://www.ldlc.be/fiche/PB00204225.html
ASUS GL552VW-DM802D: http://www.ldlc.be/fiche/PB00213591.html

thank you

The ASUS comes with an SSD, at the same cost.

Checkmate.

Budget: somewhere in the $500 range but max we would pay is $800
Usage: other than using ms office, watching videos
Ok so i lookd up surface pro 4 and my sister is interested in getting it esp as it serves as an ipad/tablet

She has no interest in games but i notice that it comes in i7 and i5 models far as cpu goes and thr ram is between 8 and 16 gb
As we are looking for a cheap model what ould be the cheapest best option?

For those uses, the cheapest RAM and CPU config is the smart play.

I found an ASUS GL502VT-FY148T,with an i5-6300HQ, 2.3 GHz, 16 GB ram, HDD 1 TB and a SSD 128 GB, nVidia GeForce GTX 970M, 3 GB at 930 euros. This is 30€ over my maximum badget but anyway, Can I buy it or should I wait for 1050 gtx laptop?

I can't promise you the price of the 1050 equipped laptop. If you can wait, you might as well.

Got a question about the new Alienwares. It's a stupid question but I'm gonna ask it anyway.

I've noticed that all the promo pics have the laptop in pink/fuscia colour.

Is this changeable?

I'm guessing there's some sort of led colour changing option but does it change the colour of the sides and trackpad etc?

Got a question about the new Alienwares. It's a stupid question but I'm gonna ask it anyway.

I've noticed that all the promo pics have the laptop in pink/fuscia colour.

Is this changeable?

I'm guessing there's some sort of led colour changing option but does it change the colour of the sides and trackpad etc?

Yes. It some with software that lets you change the lighting colors. I believe there are 13 different lighting zones you can change. The sides, trackpad, 3 different keyboard zones, the Alienware logo on the lid. I'm sure there are others I just can't remember what they are.

Yes. It some with software that lets you change the lighting colors. I believe there are 13 different lighting zones you can change. The sides, trackpad, 3 different keyboard zones, the Alienware logo on the lid. I'm sure there are others I just can't remember what they are.

Awesome thanks, I've never had one before and I didn't want to purchase one if it was pink!

Harro

I have that ASUS and it's a very good laptop. It never gets too hot when playing anything and the exhaust vent is on the left hand side rather than at the back of the laptop which is much better if you are using it on your lap.

My ASUS also came with a backpack, headphones/headset and a gaming mouse that wasn't listed so not sure if every one just comes like that.

The main difference between those two is that the MSI comes with Windows but without an SSD and the ASUS comes without Windows but with an SSD.

So it basically comes down to which one you want to spend money on, buying windows will probably be cheaper and easier than installing an SSD, not that it's difficult to do mind you.

The ASUS comes with an SSD, at the same cost.

Checkmate.

thanks, plus I prefer to install my own windows :)

Cardon

So last Saturday my house essentially burned down along with all my work gear. I'm now obviously in search for a suitable laptop.

Was just wondering if anyone could suggest solid options focused on light gaming and video editing that are in the $700 range and have mostly current processors.

Advanced thanks for any suggestions or tips. Cheers!

So last Saturday my house essentially burned down along with all my work gear. I'm now obviously in search for a suitable laptop.

Was just wondering if anyone could suggest solid options focused on light gaming and video editing that are in the $700 range and have mostly current processors.

Advanced thanks for any suggestions or tips. Cheers!

Wow, sorry to hear about your awful luck. Hope insurance covers everything.

Here's a reasonable option for what your price point is and what you want to do.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PYZ0J6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
dumb question, via windows 10, all laptops can do clamshell mode right? export video to hdmi and close the screen?

shockdude

dumb question, via windows 10, all laptops can do clamshell mode right? export video to hdmi and close the screen?
Not all laptops. Some laptops put their air vents in the hinge of the laptop, which means closing the lid will cause the laptop to overheat. Other than that, yes you can use laptops with their lids closed.

Zebei

Sup laptop GAF. I'm sure there you must get about 15 of us a day, but I am pretty much technologically inept and even after looking up this stuff multiple times I still get confused and would rather just ask for elp than pridefully fail.

Looked up some laptops on Amazon that are close to what my price range would be if I wasn't poor as shit from college.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016PY3SLC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DT4A2R4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

How decent would these beor what makes them shit if that is more relevant?

And uhhh, could they play Overwatch or Rainbow six siege on lowest settings if need be? :p

Thanks guys/gals

K.Jack

Thanks for the response!

Do we know when we expect this to happen?

Late October to November.

Sup laptop GAF. I'm sure there you must get about 15 of us a day, but I am pretty much technologically inept and even after looking up this stuff multiple times I still get confused and would rather just ask for elp than pridefully fail.

Looked up some laptops on Amazon that are close to what my price range would be if I wasn't poor as shit from college.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016PY3SLC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DT4A2R4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

How decent would these beor what makes them shit if that is more relevant?

And uhhh, could they play Overwatch or Rainbow six siege on lowest settings if need be? :p

Thanks guys/gals

If I'm not mistaken, you've linked the same laptop twice.

It could definitely play Overwatch pretty well. The GDDR5 VRAM makes it not so much of a potato.

Sorry, the link is in French but I was planning to buy a laptop to complement my desktop PC (where I mainly do all the gaming) to continue playing when I am on the move.
What do you think of this one : http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00215898.html

I had an MSI one before but I don't find one in the same price range with a 1070 equipped.

Also, how is Alienware compared to MSI or Asus ?

Thx for the help !

K.Jack

Sorry, the link is in French but I was planning to buy a laptop to complement my desktop PC (where I mainly do all the gaming) to continue playing when I am on the move.
What do you think of this one : http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00215898.html

I had an MSI one before but I don't find one in the same price range with a 1070 equipped.

Also, how is Alienware compared to MSI or Asus ?

Thx for the help !

The ASUS runs really hot.

I'd buy one of these instead.

Or this SKU, which comes with a 1TB SSD, and an empty slot which you can add an HDD or second SSD to later.

K.Jack

Thanks, for the advice.
Since you recommend me an LDLC laptop, do you know them ?
How about MSI or Alienware ? Are those brands good ?

Also, for that size, should i rather opt for a 1060 ?

1. The LDLC machines are rebranded Clevos, which is an extremely solid laptop maker. I can recommend this laptop with full confidence.

2. MSI and Alienware are the 2 top brands, quality wise, but you pay a premium.

3. If the 1070 is within your budget range, it makes little sense to go with a 1060 instead. Always buy for max longevity.

1. The LDLC machines are rebranded Clevos, which is an extremely solid laptop maker. I can recommend this laptop with full confidence.

2. MSI and Alienware are the 2 top brands, quality wise, but you pay a premium.

3. If the 1070 is within your budget range, it makes little sense to go with a 1060 instead. Always buy for max longevity.

There's a 10% discount on Alienware products until tomorrow.
So maybe I'll go for this one :
http://www.dell.com/fr/p/alienware-...dhs1#overrides=n00aw15r307:3~16G2667;8~2561TB

or the LDLC one.
How's the heat on the Alienware ?

mjc

This has been occurring in Overwatch just about every play session..is this driver related or is my GPU dying? (shhhhhhhhhit)
qvU4mVi.jpg

K.Jack

K.Jack

It's an Alienware 15", with an i7-6820HQ, 32Go DDR4, GTX 1070 and a 256 PCIe SSD + 1To hdd for 200€ more than the Asus and LDLC one.

Well that is a very compelling price. Of the 3 I'd take that or the LDLC with the 1TB SDD.

It may come down to your preferred aesthetics.

mjc

Are you referring to the artifacts (the pink dots on your display mostly visible on the second picture you poste) ?
Did you try sending the signal to your TV/Monitor ? To see if maybe your screen is faulty ?

Hmm haven't tried that, no. Yeah there's been an issue with the artifacts that scares me a bit. It disappears if I restart or Overwatch crashes. I can get right back in though. I know my GPU temps aren't that high, they were arond 75C when they showed up. I'll have to try sending signal out to my TV to see it that fixes it.

Hmm haven't tried that, no. Yeah there's been an issue with the artifacts that scares me a bit. It disappears if I restart or Overwatch crashes. I can get right back in though. I know my GPU temps aren't that high, they were arond 75C when they showed up. I'll have to try sending signal out to my TV to see it that fixes it.

It's happening only with Overwatch ?

Top Bottom