• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Any different in the chip? I keep hearing there is a hell of a boost in this generation as opposed to the last generation.
Get a 10 series chip not a 9 series chip.
10 series chips are desktop GPU level, 9 series chips are like a 3rd of the power of their desktop counter part.
A laptop 1070 is a full 1070

RadicalR

Neo Member

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
That was a great catch, Izuna. I had typed up a post to help configure the Sager laptop. Before I post I always check the thread to make sure that no one posted after who I'm helping. Saw your GT72 post and was like...

robo_what.gif~original

I'm a somewhat new user in the US looking for a laptop (15 or 17 inches), $1,000 (can go over a bit). I'm happy with 1920 x 1080 performance (not a big 4k fan). I would use it for pretty heavy gaming. Any good deals out there?

I'd buy this, then add your own SSD in the M.2 slot.

It's the cheapest laptop with a GTX 1060.

Izuna

Banned
And here's me, undervolting my CPU because the 6700HQ is having thermal throttling issues...

I'll post back when I get some good results.

edit:

I don't know if this is stable yet, but -0.100v stops the thermal throttling and I get a 3.10GHz at 91c with Prime95 running.

This is up from 2.8GHz at 95c (danger)

Izuna

Banned
I'm aware that Prime95 is unrealistic, but sometimes when I don't have my stand (I should always have my stand) the loud fans kick in.

I've run this for about 20m now and it seems that 0.100v is stable so I'm happy.

Just an FYI on mobile CPUs. The advertised Turbo Boost frequency should be what it runs up to 100% of the time if you are stressing the CPU.

But what you see is the 1 Core frequency. It's -200 the more cores you use, so for me it's
3.5GHz 1-core, 3.3GHz 2-core, and 3.1GHz 3-core and 4-core turbo

reference: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/246907-how-mobile-i7-cpus-work-information-guide/

Izuna

Banned
I have to say, this undervolting is fun as fuck.

I'm at -130mV atm (stable) and will stop here. I should never hit thermal throttling no ever.

--

CPU temperature under load reduced by, on average, 17c....

:O

Not interested in flashing the BIOS to overclock or anything, but this is lovely. I recommend more people to look into undervolting their laptop CPUs

madmook

I was happy to see that I could do custom voltage curve and frequency setting on the 1050 Ti in my Dell Inspiron 7567 with MSI Afterburner. I had just learned how to do this with my 1070-equipped desktop, and I use it to undervolt. It works just the same on the laptop, and I was able to undervolt a bit while still overclocking past the default Turbo Boost clocks. Helps the GPU load temps a bit.

Sini

I have a lame CPU that isn't stable when undervolting is combined with light workloads like listening to music and browsing forums. It can run stress tests all day, but very light loads kill it in about a hour. :(

i7 4720HQ

Would appreciate any insight why I can't undervolt my CPU.

I have to say, this undervolting is fun as fuck.

I'm at -130mV atm (stable) and will stop here. I should never hit thermal throttling no ever.

--

CPU temperature under load reduced by, on average, 17c....

:O

Not interested in flashing the BIOS to overclock or anything, but this is lovely. I recommend more people to look into undervolting their laptop CPUs

I undervolted my 7700HQ by 108 mV, but the results are rather disappointing. Temps only dropped by 3c-5c. I was expecting a bigger drop. But, since the 7700 is clocked higher on default the undervolt over head is not as big as the 6700HQ. I don't think it will be very stable under -108 mV, but good to hear that it's a big difference for you. I also would like to add that undervolting has a very positive effect on the longevity of the system PCB boards. It' reduced the voltage hence reducing the current and that reduced the power consumption and heat output. The only downside I would like to mention is that it might reduce the stability of your system if you go too far. Sometime the system will just crash even after stress testing the CPU and that could lead to corruption of data or even something much more serious like freezing while bios update is being installed.

But I think it's well worth the risk. Another thing that I started noticing about recent gaming laptop is that the cooling system is usually designed to around the GPU requirements and the focus on designers is to just keep the GPU cool, but little is into the CPU side. I first started noticing this when Skylake was rolling out. A lot of gaming laptops had a three point tension points on the heat sinks. The pressure from the heatsink is just not going to be even and that's what I saw when I removed the heatsink. Only 60-70% of the die was making contact the copper heatsink. The GPU on the other hand had a perfect contact with the heatsink. The majority of the heatsink is dedicated to the GPU which makes sense that the TDP is significantly higher, but it leaves a lot of us with hot running CPUs. In my case with the Alienware 13 R3 the GPU always runs cool and keeps boosting even over the official boost clocks of the GPU and it's sustained. The CPU tends to just run hot. Usually around 5c-7c warmer than the GPU. No thermal throttling here, but I was disappointed that the repaste didn't do much to help with the heat output. I only saw 3c difference at most which is not bad I guess? At least people would know that the factory job is fine.

Pixieking

Banned
So it's getting to Summer, and my laptop doesn't have the best CPU cooling system. I've got a laptop cooling pad, but it's still running close to the bone (4790k, and it's still hitting high 80s/low 90s).

Looking at the talk of undervolting here, I'm wondering how easy it is to do? A quick Google shows people just using XTU and that's it? Is there more to it?

Izuna

Banned

I've been playing around with it, more Prime testing and I settled on -150mV -- the difference is staggering and I realised that games were, in fact, being thermal throttled beforehand. I'm very happy with the results (lottery? yay!)

--

GPU undervolting isn't possible so that sucks,

So it's getting to Summer, and my laptop doesn't have the best CPU cooling system. I've got a laptop cooling pad, but it's still running close to the bone (4790k, and it's still hitting high 80s/low 90s).

Looking at the talk of undervolting here, I'm wondering how easy it is to do? A quick Google shows people just using XTU and that's it? Is there more to it?

Lots of guides out there. When you got your settings sorted, use Task Scheduler and Throttlestop to enable it on startup

For the most part, if you mess up, you'll just hang the system and you try a different amount.

Pixieking

Banned
Lots of guides out there. When you got your settings sorted, use Task Scheduler and Throttlestop to enable it on startup

For the most part, if you mess up, you'll just hang the system and you try a different amount.

Throttlestop doesn't seem to be anything useful for me? I'm fairly certain the CPU isn't being throttled, since I've managed to get it just cool enough. I don't need it for anything else?

Undervolting is really useful anyway since it reduces heat which is healthy for your hardware and increases battery life. And it doesn't void your warranty.

K.Jack

It lets you undervolt if you wanted to.

Edit: YES

Got 4k60 in FH3 with 2xMSAA. +160, +550 for GPU. Undervolting a little would help a lot but meh, I'm happy

+550 on the memory? Jesus Christo.

I haven't pushed my 1070 beyond +150/+250. I guess I should test its limits someday. Problem for me is that its sharing power draw with a 6820HK.

Izuna

Banned
+550 on the memory? Jesus Christo.

I haven't pushed my 1070 beyond +150/+250. I guess I should test its limits someday. Problem for me is that its sharing power draw with a 6820HK.

Well, FWIW, I've had a single restart while playing a game for about 3 hours tonight, so I scaled everything back a little. I doubt it's the GPU overclock, but the good thing is I went overboard anyway.

Currently at +155/+520 and -145mV

No temperature issues at all, GPU never goes above 70c and CPU doesn't hit 75c normally, so I guess I''ll just scale back a little each time until there are no restarts.

Event Viewer says it's a mere application error so it could be stable and I'm panicking. Regardless, ThrottleStop is set to start up a minute after boot so as to give me time in case of any issues. MSI Afterburner, AFAIK, will reset the overclocking if there is a GPU Driver error

--

It should also be noted that the laptop 1070 is most likely downclocked, which is why I am able to get such gains without dare touching the voltage.

K.Jack

I have a lame CPU that isn't stable when undervolting is combined with light workloads like listening to music and browsing forums. It can run stress tests all day, but very light loads kill it in about a hour. :(

i7 4720HQ

Would appreciate any insight why I can't undervolt my CPU.

The undervolt is most likely dropping the idle voltage too low, which is why it's fine under stress, but falters under normal use. Just back off the undervolt a bit.

Well, FWIW, I've had a single restart while playing a game for about 3 hours tonight, so I scaled everything back a little. I doubt it's the GPU overclock, but the good thing is I went overboard anyway.

Currently at +155/+520 and -145mV

No temperature issues at all, GPU never goes above 70c and CPU doesn't hit 75c normally, so I guess I''ll just scale back a little each time until there are no restarts.

Event Viewer says it's a mere application error so it could be stable and I'm panicking. Regardless, ThrottleStop is set to start up a minute after boot so as to give me time in case of any issues. MSI Afterburner, AFAIK, will reset the overclocking if there is a GPU Driver error

--

It should also be noted that the laptop 1070 is most likely downclocked, which is why I am able to get such gains without dare touching the voltage.

No, if the computer is hard restarting, the undervolt is causing it. Of that I'm certain.

Also, at what clocks is your 1070 sitting, with this overclock? With +150/+300, mine is at 1593/2152

Izuna

Banned
No, if the computer is hard restarting, the undervolt is causing it. Of that I'm certain.

Also, at what clocks is your 1070 sitting, with this overclock? With +150/+300, mine is at 1593/2152

Well, it was just the one restart and hasn't happened again, but I put it to -145mV regardless (it still gets me what I want, which is no super loud fans and thermal throttling even when stressed).

It's hard for me to show the 1070 settings because there's the boost clock.

~~

edit: just started playing around with voltages

NVM. I don't know where to get these numbers. Been messing around with it and got this:

vtDrSuj.png

It seems that the voltage increase massively improved the stability and I got greedy. Will update if I see any issues.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/3672473

Umar96

Neo Member
The undervolt is most likely dropping the idle voltage too low, which is why it's fine under stress, but falters under normal use. Just back off the undervolt a bit.

So I have the same laptop and config as K.Jack albeit with 32GB RAM. And on reading these posts, I tried GPU overclocking.

This is very awkward.

Crysis 3 was running perfectly at 4k with High-med settings + MSAA 2x with 40+ fps and a GPU temp of 63-67 Celcius. I overclocked the GPU with +150/+300 in Afterburner and with the same settings, I'm getting mostly 50+fps at 4k and temps have generally stayed lower or same. Another strange thing is that, it crashes on 1080p while putting out very high fps but stays stable with no crashes at 4k.

Same thing happened with FurMark.

With GPU overclock +150/+300, I got a score of 2015 points on the 4k test + 66 Celcius while w/o overclock, I got 1844 points + 67 Celcius being the highest GPU temp?

?????

This has left me very confused as majority of things are actually more stable after GPU overclocking. This is all w/o undervolting my CPU and using the base setting "Sport" with fans on Auto.

I was trying to power limit my 1070 as some games would have a TDR issue because of hitting voltage limit according to MSI Afterburner graphs. And well, Afterburner wouldn't let me, presumably because of this being a laptop, so this kinda works out. Will try undervolting CPU too if I do get a crash.

EDIT: I tried UserBenchmark with 4.0GHz CPU overclock (default Turbo setting) + Cooler Boost + the same +150/+300 GPU overclock.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/3673120

Impressive.

Izuna

Banned
Core clock will probably restart your pc if too high, or break the graphics driver.

Memory will likely crash the game.

Look out for artefacts, if they are happening you are essentially on the verge of damaging your card.

150/500 is the most I can do. Most of my gains were increasing the voltage curve, which gets the boost clock much higher, but I'm not going higher than +30% even though higher is stable.

--

1080p will go higher framerates and may push your clock speeds higher, which is why there is less stability there. 4k is harder to run, but high framerates are another thing.

Try running firestrike. If that crashes then lower your memory.

Sini

I can't even undervolt by -40mV while -70mV seems to be the most common undervolt for this cpu. :(

saad1

Banned
Is it good time to buy surface laptop or should i wait?

I'm really liking its aesthetics

All I need from it:
- good screen, portability and no heating problems.
- I hope it's sufficient for emulators (Wii U ones) but not deal breaker (idk much about technology lmao)

I'm thinking of taking the 8 gb ram i5. Am I good?

Tripon

Is it good time to buy surface laptop or should i wait?

I'm really liking its aesthetics

All I need from it:
- good screen, portability and no heating problems.
- I hope it's sufficient for emulators (Wii U ones) but not deal breaker (idk much about technology lmao)

I'm thinking of taking the 8 gb ram i5. Am I good?

The Surface laptop doesn't have any sort of a dedicated GPU. Get a Dell Inspiron, or Acer VX 15 instead if you care about emulating, even last gen systems. They don't look as good as the Surface laptop, but they're not in the same category. The Surface laptop is for college/business environments, while you seem to actually want a portable gaming machine.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-5577-gaming-laptop

if you get the Inspiron, make sure you pay the extra $50 for the IPS display.

Here's an amazon link for the Acer VX 15

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=acer+vx+15

Izuna

Banned
If he means Surface Book, yes it is fine for emulators, if you get the dGPU. Not the best price for those specs tho.

Surface Laptop is a scam.

is anyone else playing Player Unknowns Battlegrounds on a laptop?

Most things I play my CPU never breaks 75-80 but this game just pushed it above 90 for the first time since I undervolted it.

Nothing else seems to do this though so I am thinking it's just this game.

Umar96

Neo Member
Core clock will probably restart your pc if too high, or break the graphics driver.

Memory will likely crash the game.

Look out for artefacts, if they are happening you are essentially on the verge of damaging your card.

150/500 is the most I can do. Most of my gains were increasing the voltage curve, which gets the boost clock much higher, but I'm not going higher than +30% even though higher is stable.

--

1080p will go higher framerates and may push your clock speeds higher, which is why there is less stability there. 4k is harder to run, but high framerates are another thing.

Try running firestrike. If that crashes then lower your memory.

Since the laptop is pretty new like 2 weeks barely, and I can alot of games at 120fps, I doubt that's it.

Anyhow I think I figured it out.

I just tried Redout's demo. Everything maxed out and 60fps. All good. Switched the fps cap to 120 and the game crashed soon on starting the race. I overclocked gpu to +150/+300 and ran. Still crashed (device removed error).

I then saw that my laptop was on ECO setting (I keep it on that normally). Changed it to it's default "Sport" and now ran the game. This mostly changes CPU performance and power draws*.

It ran perfectly on 120 fps and I completed the time trial with a Gold medal. I under clocked my GPU to -150mV and tried the game. (my default settings as I see a 4C drop with no noticeable change on performance).

Ran Crysis 3 now and getting 120 fps locked too with no crash whatsoever.

I guess its most likely CPU clock speed interfering, causing an out of sync issue or maybe power draw. Thinking of grabbing a 330W power brick.

EDIT: Fire Strike gave me no errors or artifacts (<- Thank GOD). Ran it with the Base settings except for -150mV GPU under clock. Scored 13291 which I think is inline with notebookcheck's 13974 w/o under clocking.

However I had Afterburner's FPS OSD running with the show Limit option on. And when the GPU Usage reached 98-100%, Lim: Power would show up. Could ultimately be power draw causing issues perhaps.

EDIT 2: Ghost Recon Wildlands had issues with crashing as well. Chainging laptop to Turbo setting though (4.0 GHz default) solved all issues. Temperatures went as high as 80 C though until I turned on Cooler Boost and temps dropped to 62 C.

I guess Turbo + Cooler Boost is the way to go while doing any heavy gaming.

I've moved the default 4.0 GHz Turbo setting to 3.8 GHz as I'll probably be using this setting for heavy games now.

Ive been reading a lot that MSI laptops come with a shit ton of bloatware...Mine should be showing up in the next day or two, is there any tools to get rid of all that, or is it best to just turn off start up applications?

Best Heavy Editing light gaming laptop under $2000 out right now?

I love the Dell XPS 15 but I wish it had a 1060...any chance of those getting a refresh soon?

Izuna

Banned
Ive been reading a lot that MSI laptops come with a shit ton of bloatware...Mine should be showing up in the next day or two, is there any tools to get rid of all that, or is it best to just turn off start up applications?

Just uninstall whatever you want. But... maybe keep the MSI stuff and drivers. Remove the commercial programs if there are any.
--

So I'm about to head out, but I took the time to list how the 1070 is on this laptop after OCing

cYXg88v.png

6700HQ is still stable underclocked by +140mV, hitting a maximum of 73c in games and not heat throttling in Prime95 (which means it basically never will).

~~

Here are the reported stats for 10m of FH3 with the Core Voltage (%) at +100, targeting 4k60 at Ultra 2xMSAA

WrIJDwO.png

As you can see, I'm mostly power limited which is why I the GPU stays at a good temperature. I don't know if a bigger power supply would solve this but the performance is nice enough that I don't mind.

Important, however, is that the Amazon Cooling Stand (no fans) helps to keep this performance when I'm using the laptop on a bed. I recommend it.

The improvement made to this machine... Lawd.

madmook

I don't know how the Windows battery indicator calculates its estimates, but I am not complaining:
TQwjeRq.png

Dell Inspiron 7567

Edit: This just gets better and better:
8toApNF.png

K.Jack

I can't even undervolt by -40mV while -70mV seems to be the most common undervolt for this cpu. :(

My 6820HK has the same problem, way below the average undervolt others get.

Unfortunately all silicon is not created equal.

They are very far from "shit ton". Outside of Norton and Candy Crush, I'm struggling to remember anything else I had to delete.

Best Heavy Editing light gaming laptop under $2000 out right now?

I love the Dell XPS 15 but I wish it had a 1060...any chance of those getting a refresh soon?

What kind of editing?

Gigabyte Aero 15.

What is special about this Aero?

What's the general consensus on the gtx 1050 ti? Is it a solid card for a laptop?

Good, as long as the laptop isn't near what you'd pay for a 1060.

I don't know how the Windows battery indicator calculates its estimates, but I am not complaining:
TQwjeRq.png

Dell Inspiron 7567

Edit: This just gets better and better:
8toApNF.png

Yeah... it might show you some crazy idle calculations, but you won't nearly achieve those during actually usage.

My 6820HK has the same problem, way below the average undervolt others get.

Unfortunately all silicon is not created equal.

They are very far from "shit ton". Outside of Norton and Candy Crush, I'm struggling to remember anything else I had to delete.

What kind of editing?

What is special about this Aero?

Good, as long as the laptop isn't near what you'd pay for a 1060.

Yeah... it might show you some crazy idle calculations, but you won't nearly achieve those during actually usage.
Watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpe_6ILN5k

It basically is the competitor to the XPS 15, but better.

Top Bottom