• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

paolo11

Just asking because you could obviously build a quad-SLI GTX 980 desktop monster, if you don't actually need the mobility.

It's all good, brother. I like to travel anyways. Hehehehe.

Once I get this gift, I will post pics and benchmarks.

L.O.R.D

msi is doing very well in saudi arabia
they just sent a GT72 with GTX 980m to my friend to test it
its on arabic forum
http://www.adslgate.com/dsl/showthread.php?t=1975056
CPU I7-4980HQ
NVIDIA GTX 980M 8GB
HDD 1TB 7200PRM + 256 GB SSD SUPER RAID
RAM 32 GB 8GB*4
BD WRITER
WINDOWS 8.1
BATTERY 9 CELLS

warring , the page is loaded with very high res of photos

1414094491393.jpg

this is the test for the fans sound in high
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAqJS0b8v3E

still very annoying

Fezan

msi is doing very well in saudi arabia
they just sent a GT72 with GTX 980m to my friend to test it
its on arabic forum
http://www.adslgate.com/dsl/showthread.php?t=1975056
CPU I7-4980HQ
NVIDIA GTX 980M 8GB
HDD 1TB 7200PRM + 256 GB SSD SUPER RAID
RAM 32 GB 8GB*4
BD WRITER
WINDOWS 8.1
BATTERY 9 CELLS

warring , the page is loaded with very high res of photos

this is the test for the fans sound in high
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAqJS0b8v3E

still very annoying
Are they selling locally here. I wanted to buy msi gs60 but couldn't find it at jarir or extra

paolo11

Ok. Update. I won't be getting that 980M GTX SLI with 2 TB Samsung 850 SSD because it is out of budget per the person who will give me the gift.

There is another alternative:

Warranty until 04/2015

Alienware M18
I7 4700mq
GTX 780m sli
16 gb 1600 MHz ram
1TB HDD,
Samsung Evo 840 256gb mSata SSD
Killer E2200 Adapter
Bluetooth
Bluray writer
Windows 7 OS and DVD

For $1500.00. Opinions? Think it can run GTA V or Arkham Knight 1080p 60FPS max settings?

L.O.R.D

Are they selling locally here. I wanted to buy msi gs60 but couldn't find it at jarir or extra

the 9XX series not yet , but jarir said it will coming soon
don't get anything from extra , anything you buy from them you have to pay extra 300 SR for stupid warranty
i saw GS60 week ago in jeddah

L.O.R.D

Ok. Update. I won't be getting that 980M GTX SLI with 2 TB Samsung 850 SSD because it is out of budget per the person who will give me the gift.

Warranty until 04/2015

Alienware M18
I7 4700mq
GTX 780m sli
16 gb 1600 MHz ram
1TB HDD,
Killer E2200 Adapter
Bluetooth
Bluray writer
Windows 7 OS and DVD

For $1500.00. Opinions? Think it can run GTA V or Arkham Knight 1080p 60FPS max settings?

nope , nope , nope
just stay away from Alienware

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Warranty until 04/2015

Alienware M18
I7 4700mq
GTX 780m sli
16 gb 1600 MHz ram
1TB HDD,
Killer E2200 Adapter
Bluetooth
Bluray writer
Windows 7 OS and DVD

That's quite the deal. You could even drop a 980M or two in there.

We don't even have system reqs for Batman, so it's hard to say, but if you overclock you'd have the power of a GTX Titan.

for this spec , get an Asus better

alieanware have a problems with the cooling

The heck are you talking about? Alienware has the BEST cooling of them all.

paolo11

Hopefully it would work. I was planning to upgrade it to 980M on the AW18 and use the 780M SLI to my M18x R2 and sell the AMD 7970 Crossfire cards. I need to go to Ebay for the heatsink, SLI , and the good stuff for my M18x R2.

K.Jack

i have a friend all the time complaining about the heat in his alienware
sure , the laptop is very big

Exactly which model does he have, and how long has he had it?

A lot of the time it's simply that the person has never cleaned out the fans, after a long amount of use.

L.O.R.D

We don't even have system reqs for Batman, so it's hard to say, but if you overclock you'd have the power of a GTX Titan.

The heck are you talking about? Alienware has the BEST cooling of them all.

it was Alienware M18X , it come with AMD 7970M 2X

paolo11

it was Alienware M18X , it come with AMD 7970M 2X

That's my laptop. There is a problem about the 7970M Crossfire. They turned to overheat. I am good for now and I do not experience overheating however some others do.

It's not the M18x, brother. It's the cards.

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
Budget : $600
Screen size: 15
Res: 1920x1080
Use: Internet, Skype, Movies, Solitaire, Microsoft Office

Just wanted to see if you guys had some suggestions or knew some good deals. I was leaning towards an Asus on Xoticpc. Looking here to see if there's better suggestions before I pull the trigger.

Ultimadrago

Hey K.Jack, a family member of mine needs your help thinking of a laptop to get.

Could you please lead them to one with a stable price as they don't have the funds for it right now (ex. deals that are up today may be gone by the time they're ready to purchase)? The following is what they gave me after I showed them the OP's question template.

Budget: $1,100
Size: 15.7"
Planned usage: Games: Sims 3, Skyrim, Typical Indie Games, Minecraft. "I watch Netflix, Youtube, and online gaming (Team Fortress 2). If possible, I would like to play Minecraft on best settings with 720p." [Multi-tasking]
Other: Bluetooth enabled if possible. 6GB Ram and 500GB Onboard Memory. 3 USB ports. HDMI port optional. CD drive.

K.Jack

Budget : $600
Screen size: 15
Res: 1920x1080
Use: Internet, Skype, Movies, Solitaire, Microsoft Office

Just wanted to see if you guys had some suggestions or knew some good deals. I was leaning towards an Asus on Xoticpc. Looking here to see if there's better suggestions before I pull the trigger.

Link me to this Asus?

Hey K.Jack, a family member of mine needs your help thinking of a laptop to get.

Could you please lead them to one with a stable price as they don't have the funds for it right now (ex. deals that are up today may be gone by the time they're ready to purchase)? The following is what they gave me after I showed them the OP's question template.

Budget: $1,100
Size: 15.7"
Planned usage: Games: Sims 3, Skyrim, Typical Indie Games, Minecraft. "I watch Netflix, Youtube, and online gaming (Team Fortress 2). If possible, I would like to play Minecraft on best settings with 720p." [Multi-tasking]
Other: Bluetooth enabled if possible. 6GB Ram and 500GB Onboard Memory. 3 USB ports. HDMI port optional. CD drive.

This. Great new laptop with an IPS, which is unprecedented at this price point.

Too bad they didn't test the 980M with a faster CPU, or tone the desktop CPU down to its speeds. The 4710HQ bottlenecks the 980M badly.

paolo11

Too bad they didn't test the 980M with a faster CPU, or tone the desktop CPU down to its speeds. The 4710HQ bottlenecks the 980M badly.

I thought most games rely on GPU unless it is RTS games?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This is a very informative thread. I'm on the lookout and busy taking notes as my Dell Studio 1558 is crapping out on me after 4 years of use.

In the meantime, if anyone can help me find something suitable, I've taken the criteria from the OP:

Country
Japan

Maximum budget
50,000 JPY (~$500)

Max size
Don't mind.
(The Dell Studio 1558 is pretty wide and bulky, so no bigger than that.)

Planned usage
- Mostly a large Steam library, consisting of last-gen and indie titles.
(I play most of my games on the couch/portables, as they are most accessible. My old laptop was slow to boot and even slower to run stuff, so running average stuff smoothly and without worrying about cooking any components is important here; not so much heavy gaming.)
- Multimedia is important, as I like to do some amateur video editing and electronic music. Again, comfort and quick access/multitasking are preferrable.

Whatever else you find relevant
- HDMI output and CD/DVD drive would be great.
- SSD might be favourable, as I'm after fast load times and worried about it getting knocked about...
- The less fan noise the better (although I think the Dell Studio had overheating problems).
- Battery life is not much of an issue, as it would usually be plugged in somewhere at home.
- Current screen size is 15.6 @ 1366 x 768 native res, which seems a bit weird, so would prefer something more "standard".

Thanks for taking the time!

This is a very informative thread. I'm on the lookout and busy taking notes as my Dell Studio 1558 is crapping out on me after 4 years of use.

In the meantime, if anyone can help me find something suitable, I've taken the criteria from the OP:

Country
Japan

Maximum budget
50,000 JPY (~$5,000)

Max size
Don't mind.
(The Dell Studio 1558 is pretty wide and bulky, so no bigger than that.)

Planned usage
- Mostly a large Steam library, consisting of last-gen and indie titles.
(I play most of my games on the couch/portables, as they are most accessible. My old laptop was slow to boot and even slower to run stuff, so running average stuff smoothly and without worrying about cooking any components is important here; not so much heavy gaming.)
- Multimedia is important, as I like to do some amateur video editing and electronic music. Again, comfort and quick access/multitasking are preferrable.

Whatever else you find relevant
- HDMI output and CD/DVD drive would be great.
- SSD might be favourable, as I'm after fast load times and worried about it getting knocked about...
- The less fan noise the better (although I think the Dell Studio had overheating problems).
- Battery life is not much of an issue, as it would usually be plugged in somewhere at home.
- Current screen size is 15.6 @ 1366 x 768 native res, which seems a bit weird, so would prefer something more "standard".

Thanks for taking the time!

With this kind of budget I would just find the one with the best video card.
Maybe this one?

Asus G751JY

It should meet all your requirements easily. Well maybe a little bit thick.

Minsc

Gold Member
With this kind of budget I would just find the one with the best video card.
Maybe this one?

Asus G751JY

It should meet all your requirements easily. Well maybe a little bit thick.

I suppose more never hurts, but for someone who isn't in to heavy gaming going by their description, having the single, highest-end GPU currently on the market might be a little overkill... but I guess it fits in the price so why not? Certainly won't regret it down the road when everything still runs on near-ultra settings and 60fps, unless there's a better option, which I don't expect. The SSD is going to be the biggest part of the upgrade, "SSD might be favourable" is spoken quite like someone who hasn't gotten used to one, you'd have to pay me to get a new PC/laptop without an SSD these days, and even then I might not want it lol.

K.Jack

I suppose more never hurts, but for someone who isn't in to heavy gaming going by their description, having the single, highest-end GPU currently on the market might be a little overkill... but I guess it fits in the price so why not? Certainly won't regret it down the road when everything still runs on near-ultra settings and 60fps, unless there's a better option, which I don't expect. The SSD is going to be the biggest part of the upgrade, "SSD might be favourable" is spoken quite like someone who hasn't gotten used to one, you'd have to pay me to get a new PC/laptop without an SSD these days, and even then I might not want it lol.

Exactly. Also he did say he does amateur video editing so in this case where money is not a problem this machine should serves him well,maybe even well beyond his expectation, until it craps out again. As its specs can pretty much ride this gen out and then some imo.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my goodness, guys I'm such an idiot.
I meant to write 5 hundred dollars instead of 5 thousand...

Lol, quite the jump. I really don't need that much gaming power. Sorry for the hassle.

Linkyn

Sorry if this isn't really relevant to the topic at hand, but I needed to get this off my chest and didn't feel comfortable creating a new thread (also, it does concern my laptop, too).

Earlier this month, a terrible tragedy struck when, depressingly enough through my own mistake, my laptop met with an untimely end. I have since taken steps to have it repaired, and purchased a cheap system so I can at least do my work / browse / play media. However, for someone who's used to playing all their multiplatform releases on PC, a temporary downgrade like this can be somewhat devastating.

For the past few days, I've spent the majority of my free time gazing at my empty display, in utter disbelief at my own stupidity and how it put me in this situation. I constantly find myself wanting to play games I can't run, fully knowing that I probably wouldn't be that interested in them if I could. But still, between knowing that my options are limited and having to wait for the manufacturer to get back to me to organise the logistics of picking up my damaged unit, I've been feeling rather helpless.

Today, for some reason, it finally dawned on me that I might be able to just stream from the cloud, so I decided to create an onlive account and play The Witcher 2 (getting ready for February). I should say that I last finished this when the patch that later became the Enhanced Edition was released, so about 3 years ago on a rig that could barely sustain medium settings. Compared to that, my experience playing through the prologue at no visible expense to a system that could barely handle the first game on minimum settings was pleasantly surprising to say the least.

I'm currently on my free trial, which should hopefully cover the extent of my playthrough for now, but I can definitely see myself keeping the sub going for a month until I can resume local play. So, to conclude, even though I never intended to use onlive or any similar service (despite thinking that the technology was rather impressive when it was unveiled), I now find myself more than glad they exist. Still, I'm not trying to publically advertise anything, I'm just happy things are somewhat working out for me gaming-wise now, so in that sense:

TL:DR I'm an idiot, but streaming my games from the cloud should hold me over until the consequences of my foolishness have been corrected for.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I've whittled down using Kakaku.com to a few models that seem like they might be up my street. Would anyone be able to tell me which of these get positive press and/or which have pitfalls I should be wary of?

http://kakaku.com/pc/note-pc/itemli...5=14,15&pdf_Spec114=2&pdf_so=p2&pdf_pr=-50000

Note that I've narrowed my search to only include the following:
- Windows 7 (I use a lot of old software and can't be arsed to faff around with W8)
- Optical drive
- i3 or i5 processor (figured this would be essential for at least playing some games)

I've heard that with a good CPU, you get better performance even with Intel integrated graphics than you would with a "desktop equivalent" GPU.

I've ruled out the possibility of an SSD drive, as they're mostly out of my budget ($500) and too small. Never had HDD trouble before, so happy to forfeit this.

Also - and this may seem like a no-brainer - I need the vents to be on the side. Inexplicably, my previous Dell Studio 1558 had its only vent at the back... which was partially under the casing when on a flat surface... Suffice to say, it suffered bad overheating problems (especially in Japanese summer) even on a cooling mat with a fan pointed at it. Still bothers me that I ever chose that model.

kennah

Sorry for the off topic post but I'm looking to buy an Intel i5 540m or 460m CPU to upgrade my wife's laptop. Pm if you have one kicking around.

NorrinRadd

Neo Member
Hi NeoGAF (and hi K.Jack - your posts are super helpful!) :)

I'm looking for a new gaming laptop.

Country where it will be purchased: Belgium or France.
Maximum budget: ~2500-3000€.
Max size: I want it to be a 17" laptop.
Planned usage: Gaming (I want the possibility to play new games on high/ultra settings) and working (multiple .pdf and .doc files open and the like).
Whatever else you find relevant: I would like to have 16Gb of RAM, a 980M with 8Gb DDR5, at least 128Gb SSD included in the original build, and a 120 Hz screen (important). Also a 4710HQ/MQ or above for the CPU.

I was waiting for Alienware to announce the arrival of the 970M/980M on its AW 17, but nothing was announced yesterday at their event... What are my options to have a 120 Hz screen AND a 980M?

Thanks in advance!

L.O.R.D

Hi NeoGAF (and hi K.Jack - your posts are super helpful!) :)

I'm looking for a new gaming laptop.

Country where it will be purchased: Belgium or France.
Maximum budget: ~2500-3000€.
Max size: I want it to be a 17" laptop.
Planned usage: Gaming (I want the possibility to play new games on high/ultra settings) and working (multiple .pdf and .doc files open and the like).
Whatever else you find relevant: I would like to have 16Gb of RAM, a 980M with 8Gb DDR5, at least 128Gb SSD included in the original build, and a 120 Hz screen (important). Also a 4710HQ/MQ or above for the CPU.

I was waiting for Alienware to announce the arrival of the 970M/980M on its AW 17, but nothing was announced yesterday at their event... What are my options to have a 120 Hz screen AND a 980M?

Thanks in advance!
i found this site

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(1,240,0)ec

its not common to see 120 hz option this days for a laptop

Display :120Hz; 17.3-inch (43.9cm) FHD 1920x1080; MATTE (Non-Glare) Wide Viewing Angle; eDP; LP173WF2
VGA : SLI; 16GB; 2x 8GB GDDR5; NVIDIA GTX 980M
Processor : 2.80 GHz (up to 3.80) Intel Mobile Core i7-4900MQ (Haswell); 4C/8T; 8MB L3
RAM : 16GB; 4x 4GB; DDR3L-1866
Internal mSATA SSD : 480GB mSATA3 SSD; MLC; Micron/Crucial M500 SATA3
Hard Drive : 1TB (1000GB); 7200rpm; SATA3 (6Gb/s); 32MB cache; Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000

3065 euro

you can lower some component if you want

Minsc

Gold Member
This might interest a few people in here, looks like Alienware is mixing the portability of laptops with the power of a desktop in its latest transformer like creation:

I dunno, maybe not the greatest idea, but an interesting way to be able to enjoy powerful graphics and a large display with a portable 13" form factor when you need to take it with you.

It'd be redundant if the 980m could fit in to a 13" laptop, and not have heat issues, but I don't think it really can, so it does seem to fill a small niche.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
You were beaten by a couple of posts :p

Also it's not a new idea, there is the ViDock (and its DIY variants), plus Gigabyte and a couple others did it for specific machines a while back but never seemed popular enough, and I guess it won't be unless they standardize the ports or something.

L.O.R.D

You were beaten by a couple of posts :p

Also it's not a new idea, there is the ViDock (and its DIY variants), plus Gigabyte and a couple others did it for specific machines a while back but never seemed popular enough, and I guess it won't be unless they standardize the ports or something.

i remember there was a laptop from fujitsu siemens that have the same idea 4-5 years ago
now , almost any laptop with free slot pci express can do the same , but you have to open the laptop and do some wiring to the pci express slot

sgjackson

i think a world needs to exist where you can get one of those boxes+a graphics card for the price of a current gaming console AND the ports to make it work are standard on every whatever 300 dollar best buy laptop before it takes off, and i can't see that happening. i can dream, though.

Top Bottom