• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 has been an absurdly fantastic year in gaming

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The last time I felt like I couldn't find time to breathe between all these games was like 2007. it's just hot release after hot release this year. Anyone else overwhelmed?

Overwatch
Blood and Wine
Dark Souls III
Gears of War 4
Battlefield 1
DOOM
Uncharted 4
INSIDE
Forza Horizon 3
XCOM 2
The Witness
Ratchet & Clank
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
Rez Infinite

With the following yet to come out:

Dark Souls III DLC
Titanfall 2
Infinite Warfare
Skyrim Special Edition
Dishonored 2
The Last Guardian
Watch Dogs 2

JESUS.

Great year for sure.

And you didn't even list the one game that many of us are going to put more hours into than the rest of that list combined.

Can't wait to grab CIV TOMORROW

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Battlefield 1 is the best miltary shooter ive played in a long time.
And doom, fucking doom. What a gem.

Overwatch is one of the best online shooters I've played, Battlefield 1 is more interesting to me than 3 and 4, Gears 4 is scratching the itch that last couple of installments never did, DOOM is one of the most fun gameplay shooter experiences I've ever played, Dark Souls III might be my favorite in the series, Mankind Divided is the Vampires: Bloodlines I never asked for...

And I haven't even played Uncharted 4 or any of the other PS4 exclusives yet.

AAA has been pretty meh for me, with only 6 games so far and probably only another 3 left (FFXV, TF2, TLG)

Mirror's Edge Catalyst makes up for most of it tho ❤️❤️

rainz

Yepp..
Im screwed as we are saving hardcore for an epic trip and all this stuff just keeps coming out and Im having to pick and choose what to buy. Great problem to have I guess hah... Not to mention I don't even have time in between work/gf/life to play all this stuff anyways!

Corpekata

Banned
It's been pretty great but I can't say I've had much this year I've ended up feeling super passionate about compared to 2015. Reminding me of 2014 in that way.

So a lot of 8/10 games for me, but nothing that's really sucked me in beyond Dark Souls 3 (granted, this is probably partially just because there hasn't been a lot of big RPGs that are what typically end up getting most of my attention). Maybe Tyranny and FFXV will correct that, but I'm not sure.

Too much got delayed to 2017. Persona 5, Nier Automata, Zelda: BotW, Nioh, Gravity Rush 2, Dragon Quest 8, Kingdom Hearts 2.8.

Dark Souls 3, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Dragon Quest 7 and Dragon Quest Builders were great though. Hopefully Pokemon S/M, Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian deliver.

The only disappointment for me this has been Dark Souls 3 just because it felt like a boring retread of the first game. Also I cant wait for Dead Rising 4 and Modern Warfare Remaster.

Truly is a vintage year.

latest

Ratchet and Clank? Gears of War? Mirror's Edge? Weird list OP.

I've only played two of those games. 2016 has been amazing for me because I'm catching up on all the Virtual Novels I missed in the past 5 years.

Superhot, Stardew Valley, and Hyper Light Drifter are also pretty good

Pretty excited for FF XV to finish the year off

I think it's been a great year with a lot of 8 or 9/10 games, but there's not really been many world changers.

Hopefully DOOM will lead to a new wave of actions games. Less cinematic and flavor of the month mechanics and more gameplay and level design

No doubt been fantastic and still some heavy hitters coming. Feels like the current generation is really just starting to hit its stride

c0Zm1c

Was thinking just recently how good it has been. Top 3 for me would be Dragon's Dogma, Forza Horizon 3 and The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine.

kunonabi

eh, console wise Star Fox Zero has been the only real standout although Paper Mario is pretty solid so far.

Other than that 3DS has been pretty solid with the RPGS and Style Savvy.

World of Final Fantasy is the only big game left for me this year.

ryseing

Doom is my GOTG thus far. Rip and tear until it's done. Ratchet and Clank/Overwatch are also 9s in my book. Watch Dogs 2 (shut up haters) still to come.

It's been a nice year. Much better than the last two for sure.

Ridesh

Banned
I think it's been lacking a heavy hitter, Uncharted 4 was good but disappointing, DOOM was amazing tho.
2015 was much better.

OP, you forgot Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, Zero Time Dilemma and Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4).

But yeah, this year is a massive improvement over 2015. Uncharted 4 alone beats everything from last year for me.

Indelible

It has been a great year for big titles and indie games, next month might be the best yet with the release of FFXV, Watch Dogs 2 and Dishonored 2.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Fire Emblem Fates? That did come out this year in NA and EU

DOOM, Hitman, Dark Souls 3, XCOM 2, Overwatch, BF1, Deus Ex, Shadow Warrior 2, Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3...

Yep, its been an awesome year for games. And Dishonored 2 isn't even out yet.

Top Bottom