• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 has been an absurdly fantastic year in gaming

SOME-MIST

it is a great year. my personal 2 favorites areally pocket card jockey and samorost 3 although I really enjoyed doom and had a fun time with uncharted 3 and dark souls 3.

the end of this year should also be top notch with the last guardian, battle garegga, wild guns reloaded, final fantasy 15, and owlboy.

Overwatch didn't like it
Blood and Wine never heard of it
Dark Souls III want to play it
Gears of War 4 don't like gears series
Battlefield 1 never hard of it
DOOM as in the computer version from the 90s?
Uncharted 4 played it beat, good tried selling it
INSIDE never heard of it
Forza Horizon 3 don't have xbox
XCOM 2 what?
The Witness never heard of it
Ratchet & Clank no thanks
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided dont lik3 fps
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst not interested
Rez Infinite who?

With the following yet to come out:

Dark Souls III DLC i want
Titanfall 2 no, no , no
Infinite Warfare who?
Skyrim Special Edition nope
Dishonored 2 nope
The Last Guardia Yes, day one
Watch Dogs 2 n ty

Overwatch didn't like it
Blood and Wine never heard of it
Dark Souls III want to play it
Gears of War 4 don't like gears series
Battlefield 1 never hard of it
DOOM as in the computer version from the 90s?
Uncharted 4 played it beat, good tried selling it
INSIDE never heard of it
Forza Horizon 3 don't have xbox
XCOM 2 what?
The Witness never heard of it
Ratchet & Clank no thanks
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided dont lik3 fps
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst not interested
Rez Infinite who?

Dark Souls III DLC i want
Titanfall 2 no, no , no
Infinite Warfare who?
Skyrim Special Edition nope
Dishonored 2 nope
The Last Guardia Yes, day one
Watch Dogs 2 n ty

consider me rused

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight
The House in Fata Morgana

These two are duking it out as my goty.

I haven't played a game since May, and that was Uncharted 4. To me, this year in terms of games I'm interested in, has been increasingly mediocre.

I am waiting for FFXV, otherwise that'll be me this year in terms of gaming: three games. Maybe I just don't enjoy the hobby as much anymore.

KORNdoggy

tbh, besides a few titles i've been a bit disappointed. uncharted was great. i imagine dishonored 2 and last guardian will be too. but honestly it has been PSVR that has saved it for me. i'm loving the thing and it has given me an appreciation for gaming i haven't had since i was a kid playing PSone for the first time.

Not really imo

Mafia 3 - awful

Uncharted 4 - disappointing
Battlefield 1 - disappointing
Inside - disappointing

Dark Souls 3 - mediocre
Gears of War 4 - mediocre

Deus Ex - good
Doom - good
Ratchet and Clank - good

Blood and Wine - amazing

My opinion of course. I've played more titles via backwards compatibility or just bought remasters.

Last year was better

Mad Max
Arkham Knight
Witcher 3
MGS V
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Rainbow six Siege
Rare Replay
Fallout 4

This is what I call great :)

2016 is not good.

Vertti

Without Zelda, Persona, NieR, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon and Yooka-Laylee being delayed this could have been the best gaming year ever. Now it was just really good tho nothing has been quite as good as Undertale, Ori or Mario Kart 8 in last few years.

TheJoRu

For me personally it's been mediocre. I found Uncharted 4 and DOOM to be disappointing; in the case of DOOM it was more of a "this is not for me", but nonetheless I had hoped I would enjoy it more. I've enjoyed Overwatch a lot, and also Fire Emblem Fates, but mostly it's been about buying older games cheaply and playing those instead.

I'm planning on buying Gears 4 soon, so that's gonna be good. Mostly I'm just looking forward to leaving this year behind and see the Switch coming out, so I can finally properly put my Wii U to rest and have something brand new in my hands.

Celegus

Eh, not much for me this year. My currenty GotY is probably Final Fantasy Brave Exvius... a free to play mobile game.

it didn't do it for me compared with previous years of greats.

The games listed are good, some great, some amazing, but for me, previous great years have had more to offer from all walks of the industry, across different formats, across different play styles, across different interfaces.

The most memorable games of 2016 for many will mostly come from the AAA space and are played on a traditional controller. Doesn't make them bad, but the lack of variety reflects the state of the industry - it's not sustainable to make the sorts of games that were fondly remembered a decade ago.

As others have pointed out - Nintendo's output this year has been mostly forgettable. Personally I really enjoyed Paper Mario: Color Splash, and it's one of my highlights this year. But for many, Nintendo's releases this year will be forgotten in a decade's time.

spekkeh

Banned
Worst gaming year in ages for me.

Boring derivation across the AAA board. Overwatch is okay I guess but I'm too old for it. Of course it's been like this for a while now, but last couple of years Nintendo and indies have managed to save it. However with Nintendo having an off year and no Papers Please, Beginner's Guide, Undertale style games winning me over, all I'm left with is just stuff to bide my time as I'm waiting for February/March next year.

dr_rus

For me it was quite dissapointing. (I am a PS4 owner, so can't comment on the Xbox or PC exclusive games)
From the list I have enjoyed:
Overwatch
DOOM

Dissapointed by:
Dark Souls III
Uncharted 4
INSIDE (somewhat)
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
NO MAN'S SKY (!!)

No opinion: (haven't played or seen a significant amount of footage)
Ratchet & Clank
Rez Infinite
Battlefield 1
Blood and Wine

So as you can see, I was dissapointed by far more titles than I enjoyed.

I agree with this. The year mostly had titles which didn't reach their previous heights for me and as such even though they weren't bad by any means I was disappointed with most of them.

As of right now Doom and possibly Dishonored 2 will be contending for my personal GOTY. And that's rather sad considering that we had a new DX and Mirror's Edge this year.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I genuinely found 2016 to be extremely dull so far.

The only games that really wowed me were Uncharted 4, Stardew Valley and now Civilization VI.
It feels like the inspiration is gone or something.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The last time I felt like I couldn't find time to breathe between all these games was like 2007. it's just hot release after hot release this year. Anyone else overwhelmed?

Overwatch
Blood and Wine
Dark Souls III
Gears of War 4
Battlefield 1
DOOM
Uncharted 4
INSIDE
Forza Horizon 3
XCOM 2
The Witness
Ratchet & Clank
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
Rez Infinite

Dark Souls III DLC
Titanfall 2
Infinite Warfare
Skyrim Special Edition
Dishonored 2
The Last Guardian
Watch Dogs 2

JESUS.

It's a great year but nothing in that list really interests me too much aside from Dark Souls 3 and Rez Infinite. Favorite releases this year so far are DQ7 and Builders, Exist Archive, Trails of Cold Steel 2, and SMT4 Apocalypse. Next year with Nier Automata, US Ys 8, US Persona 5, and (hopefully) Shenmue 3 and FF7 will be the real legendary year.

Top Bottom