• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Hobonichi Techo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
>2015 Hobonichi Techo Thread<
tO9eKhY.jpg

Hobonichi Basics

telx0Za.png

vWylmTm.png

Last year, I introduced the Hobonichi Techo as a "day planner," which I have come to regret. The Hobonichi Techo is better described as a "life book." "Day planner" sounds boring, whereas the term "life book" has the word "book" right in there, so it's the kind of thing that gets people HYPED.

Hobo Nikkan Itoi Shimbun is the media/notebook empire of none other than Mother/Earthbound creator Shigesato Itoi.

We don't really have a cultural equivalent of Mr. Itoi here in the States. He is most famous as a copy writer, which makes no sense, and has a widely followed daily blog featuring his upbeat, and charmingly weird, writings on a variety of topics. He created the Hobonichi Techo to be a flexible combination of planner and journal. It is the size of a small Japanese pocket-size novel (I guess this is a thing?) but, because of its ulta-thin, ultra-premium Tomoe River paper, it contains a full page for every day of the year.

[Usage examples taken from the AMAZING Hobonichi Love tumblr. This unofficial blog is run by the woman who translated the Hobonichi Planner into English. If you like the images, go to tumblr and reblog them and favorite them and give the creators props.]

So...why buy a weird Japanese notebook instead of using your stupid phone, having a blog, or buying a shitty 50 cent Mead notebook to signal to the world that you have no sense of self worth?

Well, for starters, it's a physical product that you can fill with physical things. Blogs and tweets and facebook have their uses (e.g. finding out how racist your family members are), but returning to physically writing and drawing and carrying around a sewn block of paper should not be so quickly dismissed as a dumb hipster affectation.

Unless we are talking about dumb hipsters. I hope the chains break on your penny farthing bicycles, hipsters!

Penny_Farthing_Crash.png

But some of us just like our pens, pencils, and paper, the physical act of drawing and writing (I may have made a few threads about some of these things).

When people talk about Hobonichis, they mean the actual notebooks, but they are also referring to a specific style of recording things. The Hobonichi is perhaps most often used as a visual diary - people fill the pages with drawings, watercolor paintings, stamps, stickers, concert tickets, mementos from travels, diary entries...The Hobonichi is especially well suited to this mixed media style of use. This specific use is so associated with the Hobonchi Techo that other notebooks adapted for this use are referred to as "fauxbonichis."

You could obviously do all of this in an officially licensed Star Wars notebook from Target. Or, if you are a real hipsters, a dumb Moleskine notebook - the top choice of posers everywhere. So why shell out more for a Hobonichi Techo?

There's a fundamental issue here that comes up any time I write about pens, pencils, or paper, or really about any hobby on Earth. You can buy these things for pennies, and for many people, that works just fine. But think about any hobby you have - photography, cycling, working on your car, camping, PC gaming, whatever - you can do any of these things with the cheapest available gear. With some investment in nicer things, however, you can generally improve the experience considerably (there's obviously a tendency to go nuts and spend incredible sums of money for dramatically diminishing improvements, but if you don't go totally nuts, you can get a great return on a reasonable investment, yeah?).

The simple fact of the matter is that the Hobonichi Techo is a wonderful premium product, with a design that has obviously been carefully considered. The Tomoe River paper is some of the finest in the world. It is wonderfully smooth and pleasurable to write on. It is unusually thin AND unusually resistant to inks bleeding, spreading, or doing other undesirable things.

The paper is sewn so the book will lay flat. The book itself is very sturdy, but you can also buy wonderful cases that add storage pockets and additional protection. The whole thing is just a very pleasing thing to hold and use. I use it more because it is just so nice to write in!

zoom_3.jpg

zoom_4.jpg

f1XnZpW.png

You can now buy Hobonichi planners from authorized resellers in the US and UK!

(They sell out pretty fast, so sign up for notifications when they restock. They get shipments in every few weeks.)

Jetpens (US)
Planner: $31
Planner + Case: $47
free shipping on orders over $25

Pocketnotebooks
(UK)
Planner: £25

There are a few brick and mortar stores that sell Hobonichi products, too. Here's a map where you can find any stores in your region. In the US, there are several places in California, as well as Seattle, Portland, Chicago, and New York. I'd call ahead to see what they stock!

The Hobonichi store has the widest selection of planners, cases, and accessories. The site is entirely in English, so no worries!

The biggest issue we had last year was that people did not know which cases they could use. The Hobonichi website is partly to blame here, as they list only pricier cases under the English language Techo.

The Hobonichi Techo "Original" (the name of the Japanese version) and the Hobonichi Planner (the name of the English language version) are the same size (A6). CASES FOR THE TECHO ORIGNAL AND HOBONICHI PLANNER ARE INTERCHANGEABLE.

The English Hobonichi techo is 2700 yen ($22US). The cheapest case is 1620 yen ($13US).

The larger Hobonichi Cousin is 3780 yen ($31US). The cheapest case is 2700 yen ($22US).

I went with the cheapest case both times. They are made of a sturdy nylon, feel really nice, have great pockets, and hold up really well. I've been super happy with them.

Shipping from Japan to the US is around 10-15 bucks. They ship surprisingly fast! The biggest holdup usually occurs in customs. One can only imagine that the customs officers take a little extra time to marvel at your good taste. Don't be surprised if you find a phone number from a sexy customs officer slipped into your package!

The package with the planner, not the other kind of...you get that idea.

koXc12y.jpg

I purchased a Cousin planner last year and switched to the English Hobonichi Planner for 2016. I could have reused my Cousin case had I stayed with the larger format, but I wanted something smaller and I also wanted to read the daily quotes. I'll tell you which I preferred at the end of 2016 so look forward to that.

The Cousin is European A5 size (half the size of a standard sheet of A4 paper. A4 is close to the size of standard US Letter paper. Folding the top down to the bottom gives an A5 sheet. A5 is the size of the larger Moleskine notebook. Does that help?) whereas the Hobonichi Planner or Techo Original is half as big, European A6. The Hobonichi Weeks format is a skinner version of the Planner or Original.

When deciding which Hobonichi to buy, consider the following:

Size
The Cousin gives you twice as much room to work with each day, and also includes a page with each week laid out in columns. The weekly pages are perfect for actual day planner stuff - the hours of the day make up the rows, so you can fill in your meetings and hot dates and court appearances.

Because the Cousin has additional pages and is a larger size, it is surprisingly heavy and non-pocket-sized. The Hobonichi Planner is size ADORABLE and is better suited for short daily entries and keeping in a bag, a coat pocket, or on a small pack animal like a kitten.

I think the Cousin would do a better job stopping a bullet, if you are journaling in a combat zone.

Note that the Japanese-language version are also available in the "avec" form. "Avec" is a French term that apparently means "we split it into two volumes."

Language

The Japanese-language Techo Original, Cousin, or Weeks (ONLY THE HOBONICHI PLANNER IS IN ENGLISH) are all perfectly usable if you do not speak Japanese. The months and days are marked with the same numbers you already know and love (example: 5). You do miss out on the days of the week (unless you memorize 7 Japanese words), the daily quotes (which are great - one of the reasons I switched), and a few additional pages in the back of the book about sushi, sake, the Japanese rail system - there are some fun little things in the back.

Cost
The Cousin costs about 10 bucks more. Additionally, if you are switching from one format to another and use a case, you need a new case, which also costs more.

Here are a few pictures from my Hobonichi Cousin (some are intentionally a little blurry so you don't read all of my AMAZING SECRETS!). My big artistic hobby is calligraphy, and I try to practice something on every page I use (and I go back to pages I did not use for more calligraphy space). Other than that, I just use different pens and inks as I change topics or as the mood strikes me. Without doing much sketching or taping in many pictures or anything like that, I think my entries end up looking more interesting than they would if I just wrote blocks of text in a notebook. It's easy to get intimidated by the examples Hobonichi Love reblogs, but you can find really simple ways to add visual interest to your Hobonichi even if you cannot paint or draw. Have fun!

Coming Soon!

I'll post about some alternatives to the Hobonichi, including some other nice general notebooks - Rhodia, Franklin-Christoph, Leuchtterm 1917, Seven Seas Writer - as well as the Midori Traveler's Notebook (which you can get with Tomoe River paper!).

I'll also post about some of the accessories you can buy from the Hobonichi website. I highly recommend the memo pad set (also available in A5). These pocket notebooks also have Tomoe River Paper, and are handy to slip into a pocket in your case.

Ask away if you have questions! And be sure to check out the 2015 thread for some usage examples from the GAF Hobonichi crew. We have quite a few Hobonichi users on GAF! I hope some of them will drop by and talk about how they used their Hobonichis over the course of the year!

Great work as always, Bagels! Your 2015 thread introduced me to it. I promptly ordered one, loved it all last year, and have my 2016 ready to go. This year I also grabbed a Weeks. Great stuff.

I used mine more as a planner/notebook in 2015, but I did draw in it some. I used it as a journal, too, some, but I plan to do that more in 2016.

Here are a couple of drawings from 2015... I love how well the paper plays with Micron Pigmas.

Really cool thread. I've been using the techo for three years now. I got my wife into it last year. Mine should be here this week.
I'd like to see what people do with their covers. I keep mine empty except for the techo and a pen but I'd like to make use of it more.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Great work as always, Bagels! Your 2015 thread introduced me to it. I promptly ordered one, loved it all last year, and have my 2016 ready to go. This year I also grabbed a Weeks. Great stuff.

I used mine more as a planner/notebook in 2015, but I did draw in it some. I used it as a journal, too, some, but I plan to do that more in 2016.

Here are a couple of drawings from 2015... I love how well the paper plays with Micron Pigmas.

I love the combination of planner/task list and art! Your sketches are awesome and I like taking out that barrier between "serious" stuff that needs to get done and the fun of making some artwork.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I guess I have to buy myself one.

Also, it seems like something someone who reads the New Yorker and listens to NPR has.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Really cool thread. I've been using the techo for three years now. I got my wife into it last year. Mine should be here this week.
I'd like to see what people do with their covers. I keep mine empty except for the techo and a pen but I'd like to make use of it more.

Here's what I kept in my Cousin case in 2015:

Memo Pad in the back pocket:

Stencil, cat stickers, mini notebook (address book), a few loose sheets of paper in the front cover:

Apica notebook slotted into the back cover (I like to write longer form essays and stuff):

So far, I have a memo pad tucked into the back cover of my 2016 Hobonichi Planner. A pocket notebook - Hobonichi memo pad, Field Notes notebook, etc. - is a handy addition and it's barely noticeable in the back cover or back pocket.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I guess I have to buy myself one.

Also, it seems like something someone who reads the New Yorker and listens to NPR has.

I'm chuckling as I drink my Earl Grey tea with my pinky out.

I love my Hobonichis, but I also got a Midori Traveler's notebook this year and I am completely in love. The original size is $33 on amazon, and the passport size is $27 - great prices! There are a ton of options with weekly and monthly planner inserts, paper for sketching, my funky PanAm themed inserts, pockets, and on and on. Midori paper is great and the "lightweight paper" insert is Tomoe River.

There is still one place in the UK that has the limited edition blue leather cover!

The weekly format is handy, with a block for each day and a facing page with graph ruling. You can fit three inserts into the cover, so you can have a planner, a journal, and a sketch area, but I like the size with just two inserts and a pocket.

I think I've settled on the Midori Traveler for actual day planner stuff and for using at work, and the Hobonichi for daily journaling and calligraphy practice. I love them both so much!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Yup, this is a Bagels thread.

I love your stuff about writing stuff, man.

Awww! Thanks! I get a lot of enjoyment out of my pens and paper and stuff and I'm always happy when people jump in and find that they really enjoy it too!

Is it too late to order these?

Not at all! The 2016 editions officially start with January 1 (there are Japanese editions that start in the late Spring, more like the end of the Spring Semester/Beginning of the Fall Semester), with a few bonus pages for late December.

Some cases go out of stock from time to time (mainly the Mother ones, some of the designer ones), but the basic ones are usually available well into the new year.

These kinds of threads are why I love GAF so much. Where else could I find English speaking enthusiasts for something as quirky, niche, and unknown (in the west), as the Hobonichi Techo?

The only reason I know what it is was thanks to Derek Alexander's (former Happy Video Game Nerd) still best video to date; his Earthbound review. I recommend it to anyone in this thread who hasn't watched it yet.

Until the 10:30 mark its just a regular review of the game but from that point on is where it gets good since it turns into a short film documentary about the franchise and its creator Shigesato Itoi.

Must watch: http://youtu.be/wQ4AictvRdU

I guess I got the last one from Jetpens lol. sorry y'all.

ordered one on a whim. i saw this last year and thought it would be neat but now im really looking forward to using it and making an effort into using it.

I bought my first techo last year and carried it with me everywhere. I already have my 2016 techo, waiting to go once January hits. It has the Mother 2 cast cover.

Porcile

My hobo is ready. Nice thread Bagels, if I didn't already have one it would've have totally inspired me to get one.

Lhadatt

What kinds of pens work well with Tomoe River paper? I'm not into fountain pens -- it seems like they'll take a bit more time to dry than I've usually got. I've been using a Pentel Hybrid Technica 0.6mm gel pen with my Hobonichi, and that's been alright. What's better?

EDIT: Also -- great thread, Bagels!

Well, crap, you sold me on them. Last minute Christmas gift for my wife and I. Ordered 2 English planners and the Knit and Brooch cover for her and the Saturn Valley cover for me!

Can't wait for them to arrive!

Soulfire

I didn't see last years thread until halfway through the year but I immediately started lusting after a techo. I was so terrified I wouldn't get the awesome red rhino cover that when the 2016 went live I spent two hours dealing with their crashed servers and delays just so I could have a 2016 planner in September. I might be crazy.
Anyway, love your threads Bagels!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
What kinds of pens work well with Tomoe River paper? I'm not into fountain pens -- it seems like they'll take a bit more time to dry than I've usually got. I've been using a Pentel Hybrid Technica 0.6mm gel pen with my Hobonichi, and that's been alright. What's better?

EDIT: Also -- great thread, Bagels!

Hey, thanks!

I should have mentioned the drying time thing. The one disadvantage of Tomoe River paper is that the coating does make wet inks dry more slowly. I think basically any pen or pencil works just fine - I use a bit of everything and have never had a problem. For a rollerball, I usually use Pilot G2s. I just got my wife a Pilot Metropolitan Retro Pop pen that takes the G2 refills. I got myself one because I like the brass body of the Metropolitan and I wanted a rollerball to carry around. It's a nice pen and there are lots of G2 colors.

This quick review of the Hobonichi Techo just popped up on my twitter feed.

hitsugi

I was late to ordering one for my wife last year so she ended up missing most of January. Didn't make that mistake this time around and ordered one for myself as well! Plus, the exchange rate right now for USD to JPY is pretty fantastic.

driph

Neo Member

After testing a variety of options, we settled on Jetstream multi pens for our Hobonichi planners.

A ballpoint pen that doesn't suck, the Jetstream writes smoothly and dries quickly. I use the multipen to have different ink colors on hand for different topics, my SO likes the design and feel of the pens but doesn't care for Uni's ink colors, so she just uses the black.

pronk420

I find mine incredibly useful, no drawings or anything but I use it to plan my tasks, record reminders for things I need to do in the future, and take notes for random things. The cousin seems most useful for me since there's enough space to take meeting notes, and I can fit other A5 inserts in for more notes.

I have a planner I was going to use for personal things, but ended up neglecting it... Maybe I'll try again this year since I already have the case..

Silvard

I hadn't heard of the Hobonichi before but it looks amazing. I bought myself a standard Midori's with a few inserts but there's a few problems...I can't draw, I have no experience in scrapbooking or making things visually appealing, and my penmanship is appaling.

I've always been interest in pens, inks, paper, sketching, journaling, planning, etc. but I've always believed that my abilities were a disgrace to whatever decent notebook or pen I could buy.

I decided that 2016 would be the year where I would work on my handwriting and try to at least learn how to sketch simple things. I want to use the Midori's as a proper journal (I don't know how to use a planner or even build a to do list) for travel and daily life.

Do you guys have any resources and tips on that (including journaling/planning methodologies and how to even start making it visually appealing)? Some of you guys look so far ahead that I almost wonder why I would bother.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I hadn't heard of the Hobonichi before but it looks amazing. I bought myself a standard Midori's with a few inserts but there's a few problems...I can't draw, I have no experience in scrapbooking or making things visually appealing, and my penmanship is appaling.

I've always been interest in pens, inks, paper, sketching, journaling, planning, etc. but I've always believed that my abilities were a disgrace to whatever decent notebook or pen I could buy.

I decided that 2016 would be the year where I would work on my handwriting and try to at least learn how to sketch simple things. I want to use the Midori's as a proper journal (I don't know how to use a planner or even build a to do list) for travel and daily life.

Do you guys have any resources and tips on that (including journaling/planning methodologies and how to even start making it visually appealing)? Some of you guys look so far ahead that I almost wonder why I would bother.

I think the only way to do it is to do it, you know? I try to practice calligraphy every day. I've been doing it for two years and I can see the progress I have made as I flip back through my planner and look at old stuff I made.

In terms of just generally making the planner more visually appealing, using the Midori with graph ruling can be helpful. I like to do simple geometric doodling. The other big thing is just to use different colors. You can get pen or marker sets, or use colored pencils. I keep my fountain pens filled with different inks so I can switch things around. Just switching up your ink color every once in a while goes a long way.

Here's Cystm's journal thread, for general journal advice and tips.

Hooray, 365 beautiful pages I can fill with my shit handwriting and stick figures. Hmm, maybe better not. Nice idea for people who could actually make it look nice, though.

I've kept notebooks at work and at home for years. Nothing fancy, purely functional. Muji notebooks are well-made.

Got my planner for this year recently. Gonna use my cousin again because I really like the cover and I usually keep it on my desk so the size isn't an issue.

Sorry for the bad photo my phone camera is a bit wonky

daydream

Banned
alright, ordered the english planner along with the following case:

c_mother_cast.jpg

pretty excited about it! awesome thread, as always, bagles

edit: just need a good pen now!

Silvard

I think the only way to do it is to do it, you know? I try to practice calligraphy every day. I've been doing it for two years and I can see the progress I have made as I flip back through my planner and look at old stuff I made.

In terms of just generally making the planner more visually appealing, using the Midori with graph ruling can be helpful. I like to do simple geometric doodling. The other big thing is just to use different colors. You can get pen or marker sets, or use colored pencils. I keep my fountain pens filled with different inks so I can switch things around. Just switching up your ink color every once in a while goes a long way.

Here's Cystm's journal thread, for general journal advice and tips.

I bought myself a book and some exercises on spencerian cursive and intend to practice until my fingers are dead and useless. The idea of just writing anyway seems enticing in terms of being able to see any progress.

Seeing this thread I want to buy a Hobonichi for those purposes, but I don't know enough about journaling habits or lifestyle to know how to use both the Midori's (with a lined, blank and sketchbook insert) and the Hobonichi simultaneously.

Also it seems Hobonichis are completely sold out?

I thought about buying one of these to add a daily moment to a journal, or sights of a new location during travel.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
alright, ordered the english planner along with the following case:

c_mother_cast.jpg

pretty excited about it! awesome thread, as always, bagles

edit: just need a good pen now!

Got the same cover. I did pretty well this year with my techo, missing only a few days. I love mine :) looking forward to starting a new one!

Porcile

Potential UK Hobros, watch out for customs fees. You will get hit with an unavoidable £20+ fee if you order a book with a cover and other junk from the official website. The whole package cost me more than £40 back in September. :-(

koryuken

I want to get this for my wife for Christmas. Are there any places that have this in stock and aren't shipping from Japan?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
*Bitches about hipsters and Moleskines*, then...

"My journal of choice? You've probably never heard of it."

At what point did I say no one has ever heard of it? You put it in quotation marks and everything but I never said anything like that. They're super popular around the world!

My bitching about Moleskines is because they are shit notebooks. There are better choices if you actually care about having a nice notebook.

I think you don't understand how much I love pens, pencils, and paper, and how much I want everyone to be into that stuff!

I thought hipsterdom was about layers of irony and liking things simply because they are obscure. I genuinely love this stuff and I want people to enjoy nice things.

Or do I just not understand what hipsters are?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I bought myself a book and some exercises on spencerian cursive and intend to practice until my fingers are dead and useless. The idea of just writing anyway seems enticing in terms of being able to see any progress.

Seeing this thread I want to buy a Hobonichi for those purposes, but I don't know enough about journaling habits or lifestyle to know how to use both the Midori's (with a lined, blank and sketchbook insert) and the Hobonichi simultaneously.

Also it seems Hobonichis are completely sold out?

I thought about buying one of these to add a daily moment to a journal, or sights of a new location during travel.

Spencerian is a very fussy, very formal writing system. If you like it, that's cool, and you can find books and guides and take classes. Doing it for realsies requires a dip pen, usually an oblique nib holder. It's a very specialized thing.

If you just want to have nicer handwriting, it helps to slow down, find some letter forms you like, and practice, practice, practice. I always have notebooks and paper by my desk so I can jot down song lyrics, movie titles, quotes, just whatever little things I run across that I want to remember. I just enjoy the physical act of writing (as well as the mental exercise of trying to get thoughts down on paper) so I write stuff all the time. I have fun with different pens and inks and stuff, so it all encourages me to write more and practice my writing.

I personally cannot write very neatly with a ballpoint pen. I do better with pencil or a fountain pen. I really like italic nib pens because they give you a nice thick-to-thin in your lines, which automatically makes your handwriting look better. I'm thinking about updating my old fountain pen thread with some new info. I'll discuss italic nibs in there, or I can point out some cheap pens if you are interested.

There's no "right" way to use a Midori Traveller, a Hobonichi Techo, a pile of dirty napkins, or any other collection of paper. If you just want to have better writing and try out pens and stuff, you just want something that feels and looks nice so it encourages you to write more. I use my Hobonichi as a daily log of what I am up to, thoughts about this and that, along with a little calligraphy. When I really want to sit down and think about something in my life, I have a lined notebook I write longer entries in. My Midori Traveler sort of split the difference. I have a place for my appointments and tasks for each day, and then a lined notebook to write longer stuff I am working on. It's not a completely formal system, but I've naturally come to associate certain kinds of writing with different kinds of notebooks.

Hobonichis sell out fast at the reseller websites, but the actual Hobonichi store is basically always stocked (minus a few cases that sell out). If it's an option, I'd order directly from Hobonichi. Their case selection is the best and they have some really nice accessories (extra notepads and stuff) that are reasonably priced and worth checking out.

*edit

If you look at Hobonichi blogs, a lot of people use Polaroids or those mini printers to add daily photographs. I love that, but not quite enough to want to spend the extra money. I do think it's a really cool idea!

Im about to order one. Whats up with these payment installments? Was thinking i will get more things in one batch if i do this...

I'm using mine for just reminders and daily planning and noting stuff down. Putting more than a little effort into making it look good would be a cause of stress.

Today, the 16th of December, is the first day listed in the 2016 book so today is my first day of using one. I'll probably keep it up. :)

G-Pink

Its just a diary, right?

Primarily a daily planner, but because it's got the grid paper and ample space, it can double/triple/quadruple task as a bunch of stuff.

Still repping the Onett cover, ordered my 2016 Techo as soon as it was available, and as a convert from the Moleskine a year ago, I'm still really glad I bought it.

Would like to get a little more utility out of the pockets on the cover. Been thinking about stuff to get for it. Tried to get some stencils, but can't find any good ones in my city, and my Jetstream 0.7mm won't fit through the really thin ones.

Any suggestions for stuff to put in the pockets? Any good stencil stores online anyone has found?

Silvard

Spencerian is a very fussy, very formal writing system. If you like it, that's cool, and you can find books and guides and take classes. Doing it for realsies requires a dip pen, usually an oblique nib holder. It's a very specialized thing.

If you just want to have nicer handwriting, it helps to slow down, find some letter forms you like, and practice, practice, practice. I always have notebooks and paper by my desk so I can jot down song lyrics, movie titles, quotes, just whatever little things I run across that I want to remember. I just enjoy the physical act of writing (as well as the mental exercise of trying to get thoughts down on paper) so I write stuff all the time. I have fun with different pens and inks and stuff, so it all encourages me to write more and practice my writing.

I personally cannot write very neatly with a ballpoint pen. I do better with pencil or a fountain pen. I really like italic nib pens because they give you a nice thick-to-thin in your lines, which automatically makes your handwriting look better. I'm thinking about updating my old fountain pen thread with some new info. I'll discuss italic nibs in there, or I can point out some cheap pens if you are interested.

There's no "right" way to use a Midori Traveller, a Hobonichi Techo, a pile of dirty napkins, or any other collection of paper. If you just want to have better writing and try out pens and stuff, you just want something that feels and looks nice so it encourages you to write more. I use my Hobonichi as a daily log of what I am up to, thoughts about this and that, along with a little calligraphy. When I really want to sit down and think about something in my life, I have a lined notebook I write longer entries in. My Midori Traveler sort of split the difference. I have a place for my appointments and tasks for each day, and then a lined notebook to write longer stuff I am working on. It's not a completely formal system, but I've naturally come to associate certain kinds of writing with different kinds of notebooks.

Hobonichis sell out fast at the reseller websites, but the actual Hobonichi store is basically always stocked (minus a few cases that sell out). If it's an option, I'd order directly from Hobonichi. Their case selection is the best and they have some really nice accessories (extra notepads and stuff) that are reasonably priced and worth checking out.

*edit

If you look at Hobonichi blogs, a lot of people use Polaroids or those mini printers to add daily photographs. I love that, but not quite enough to want to spend the extra money. I do think it's a really cool idea!

I like spencerian but... yeah, what you said. Any script you recommend to ease myself into while still feeling a bit fancy? Honestly I can't even write cursive anymore- at least not legible cursive.

I used to write a lot of stuff back in college to organize my ideas and while doing one-man brainstorming. Lots of doodling too. But even then my chicken scrawl was disheartening, so despite the fact that I actually like pens and notebooks and usually carry some with me, I get discouraged every time I use them. I'm determined to change this.

I don't have a lot of pens. A Fisher bullet pen I carry in my wallet, a Cross pen I carry in an ARC notebook, some Pilot fountain pens of differing nib sizes that I embarrass myself with in my office. I also have a Moleskine (I'm sorry). So yeah, it's when I decided to get more serious about this interest of mine that I found things like the Midori and now the Hobonichi. They actually kinda make me want to be even more serious about it. So yeah, I'd happily eat up anything you have to post about pens.

I guess a system is something that will surface on its own as I develop the habit. Speaking of surface, I got a Surface Pro explicitly because of the pen feature and have made it into my daily driver, if only so I have fewer excuses to not practice some form of handwriting/sketching no matter the situation.

I haven't really looked at Hobonichi blogs or even journaling blogs in general, I'm only just now peeling the layers of this hobby. It stands to reason the photo printer would be popular, it seemed like such a good fit.

I'll order a Hobonichi from the official store. I'll be traveling for a while so the extra shipping time isn't an issue. As for what I'll use it for and how, I'm not sure. But I guess I will write about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom