• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 PC Screenshot Thread

R8TEDM3

31791918560_ef9b1f294d_o.jpg

31356484703_cbf0fa32cc_o.jpg

amoebae

Hey, @diaspora - I saw in last year's thread you found a way to get ReShade dof working in Mass Effect 3. Did you ever post a tutorial or guide on how you achieved it? I'm just gearing up to do a run or two before Andromeda, and it'd be great to have. (I have someone else's CT which has keybinds for in-engine dof control, plus other pp, but it's nice to have options and I like ReShade.)

A couple of pre-retex, pre-gedosato shots:

32091114102_656189c2bb_o.png

32221863295_bbb56926c6_o.png

diaspora

Hey, @diaspora - I saw in last year's thread you found a way to get ReShade dof working in Mass Effect 3. Did you ever post a tutorial or guide on how you achieved it? I'm just gearing up to do a run or two before Andromeda, and it'd be great to have. (I have someone else's CT which has keybinds for in-engine dof control, plus other pp, but it's nice to have options and I like ReShade.)

A couple of pre-retex, pre-gedosato shots:

32091114102_656189c2bb_o.png

32221863295_bbb56926c6_o.png

You need to downsample with gedosato by one step. (i.e. 4k -> 1080p). It allows (for some reason) for reshade to have depth buffer access.

amoebae

You need to downsample with gedosato by one step. (i.e. 4k -> 1080p). It allows (for some reason) for reshade to have depth buffer access.

That's bonkers! Thanks for the tip. I'm in the process of setting up my resolutions for GeDoSaTo at the moment, so I'll try it out.

How safe is this whole downsampling? I have an nvidia 1070 running 1080p, but I suppose I could be running 1440p or 2160p downsampled. I did a quick Google search and saw one of those "make sure you have your system backed up, the faint of heart should not proceed" kind of warning.

How safe is this whole downsampling? I have an nvidia 1070 running 1080p, but I suppose I could be running 1440p or 2160p downsampled. I did a quick Google search and saw one of those "make sure you have your system backed up, the faint of heart should not proceed" kind of warning.

I don't know why someone would say that, it's super easy. It's literally something built into the drivers with simple access.

dsrsgaan.png

I typically only select a few, since it's annoying in some games to scroll through 6+ extra resolution, plus different refresh rates for each.

The 1070 is a great card for downsampling, too. Plenty of extra power, which makes even newer games run well at higher resolutions. The Division for example:
thedivision_2016_12_0aea26.png

45FPS.

amoebae

Everything Nero's Neptune said above.

A good way to get a feel for it is to try it with a game that will hotsample via SRWE etc. That way you can try different resolutions until you feel more confident that your card can handle it, and work out how far you can go before things start to crash and burn.

As for the crashing and burning, you're unlikely to do any permanent damage. The worst that might happen (to my knowledge) is your gpu will decide it hates you and the drivers will crash, maybe the PC will freeze up. A reboot and you're back to normal, though. Get a feel for what your system can handle first, though, and that's never likely to happen because you'll stay within decent limits.

Certainly, with your card 4K won't give you any problems beyond a lower framerate in some games. You're only looking at crashes and freezes if you're going to silly resolutions for screenshots.

amoebae

First time posting here. I hope my 1080p screens are not too jarring among the 4k shots here.

32083176392_89f016f4dd_o.png

32083175952_9d74564482_o.png

Great to see all the pre-Andromeda Mass Effect love going on. Don't worry about the res, 1080p shots can look great in their own right. In my opinion, the most important thing is composition (placement of subjects and background, getting the lighting right, making the frame come together in an interesting way). High resolution is a great addition that can take it to another level, but it's not essential.

ALOT doesn't contain all the textures it used to. Liara's outfit looks pretty low-res there - do you have Ottemis' textures installed as well?

Khalme

Neo Member
Great to see all the pre-Andromeda Mass Effect love going on. Don't worry about the res, 1080p shots can look great in their own right. In my opinion, the most important thing is composition (placement of subjects and background, getting the lighting right, making the frame come together in an interesting way). High resolution is a great addition that can take it to another level, but it's not essential.

ALOT doesn't contain all the textures it used to. Liara's outfit looks pretty low-res there - do you have Ottemis' textures installed as well?
Thanks for the advices.
I'll take a look at Ottemis' textures and tweak a few things here and there.

I don't know why someone would say that, it's super easy. It's literally something built into the drivers with simple access.

I typically only select a few, since it's annoying in some games to scroll through 6+ extra resolution, plus different refresh rates for each.

The 1070 is a great card for downsampling, too. Plenty of extra power, which makes even newer games run well at higher resolutions. The Division for example:

45FPS.

Everything Nero's Neptune said above.

A good way to get a feel for it is to try it with a game that will hotsample via SRWE etc. That way you can try different resolutions until you feel more confident that your card can handle it, and work out how far you can go before things start to crash and burn.

As for the crashing and burning, you're unlikely to do any permanent damage. The worst that might happen (to my knowledge) is your gpu will decide it hates you and the drivers will crash, maybe the PC will freeze up. A reboot and you're back to normal, though. Get a feel for what your system can handle first, though, and that's never likely to happen because you'll stay within decent limits.

Certainly, with your card 4K won't give you any problems beyond a lower framerate in some games. You're only looking at crashes and freezes if you're going to silly resolutions for screenshots.

Thank you! I will play around a bit!

I_D

I gotta say guys, if you look back to previous years' threads, everybody has clearly gotten much better at image composition. This entire thread is full of fantastic screens.

dxmd2016-08-2412-45-1hyuhr.png

dxmd2016-08-2515-07-0e4u0t.png

Hey, how you're getting DDDA screens without that huge logo?

I can't say specifically how he's doing it, but I know you can get logo-less screens using Cheat Engine.

JuanmaWL

Code:
[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/425/31468371283_d7b3a2051c_o.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/767/31468371753_04c1420cf4_o.jpg[/IMG]

JuanmaWL

Code:
[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/333/31437000574_9b6238d7aa_o.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/269/31437000264_a83e8d81ca_o.jpg[/IMG]

Top Bottom