• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 PC Screenshot Thread

R8TEDM3

36198444462_a5e50c3541_o.png

36322512616_1c7b51eee7_o.png

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Wolfenstein Id tech6 is going to destroy this topic. Did you guys see the digitalfroundry preview? dear lord.

Its looking to be absolutely incredible. Are there any other franchises that would possibly consider adopting iD Tech 6?

Yup id Tech 6 is amazing. As of now the only games using it are Doom, Doom VR and the incoming Wolfenstein. The Evil Within 2 apparently runs on some version of id Tech, no one really knows if it's version 5 or 6 though. One could guess the next full installment in the Dishonored franchise to run on id Tech 6 but you never know what happens.

OtisInf

Wolfenstein Id tech6 is going to destroy this topic. Did you guys see the digitalfroundry preview? dear lord.

Meh, not sure. They're striving for crispier and crispier images, which IMHO isn't the way one should spend the perf available in newer hardware. Timothy Lottes said it best:
https://twitter.com/TimothyLottes/status/889898351931654145 (thread)

Also not sure if a corridor shooter is really giving enough room (pun intended) to shoot interesting shots besides 'player shoots baddy'.

Don't get me wrong, it's not looking like crap, but really, by now we should see more interesting applications of what's researched and available in HW than even more crisper images.

Parsnip

Meh, not sure. They're striving for crispier and crispier images, which IMHO isn't the way one should spend the perf available in newer hardware. Timothy Lottes said it best:

Also not sure if a corridor shooter is really giving enough room (pun intended) to shoot interesting shots besides 'player shoots baddy'.

Don't get me wrong, it's not looking like crap, but really, by now we should see more interesting applications of what's researched and available in HW than even more crisper images.

Do we actually know how much of a corridor shooter it even is? I mean I don't think I've seen more than 30 minutes of footage so far and wouldn't quite call it that at least.

Besides, people managed to take plenty of great shots of the corridors in New Order and Old Blood in spite of the obvious shortcomings of idtech5, I imagine it will only be better with New Colossus.

OtisInf

Do we actually know how much of a corridor shooter it even is? I mean I don't think I've seen more than 30 minutes of footage so far and wouldn't quite call it that at least.

Besides, people managed to take plenty of great shots of the corridors in New Order and Old Blood in spite of the obvious shortcomings of idtech5, I imagine it will only be better with New Colossus.

Time will tell, I guess. I hope with you it indeed will have large(r) open areas and interesting scenery.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Imo a thread like this doesn't make sense: PC are not console so their screenshots are just an exibition of how much money can you spend on their hardware.

The purpose of this thread is to give the community a place to share screenshots of PC games (or non-PC games running on a PC, as the case may be) they feel are interesting or otherwise worthy of public display, which is exactly what people have been doing. It couldn't possibly make any more sense.

Might be mostly corridors, but that didn't stop the last Wolfenstein from producing some really nice screenshots. Also, this one is going to larger, more open levels. I'm excited for it, even if I don't end up taking too many screenshots.

And guys, stop biting on the troll :p

Filben

I'd prefer crispier images before, too. Lately, I got more involved with optics (like in physics as a result of my studies) and cinematic experiences and I tend to less sharper images as they come closer to real life (due to light scattering on edges there is no such thing a 'pixel perfect sharpness' in real life). Looks more natural, is easier on the eyes and easier on the hardware.

The documentary Timothy mentioned was really interesting. Thanks for linking this tweet!

galv

Unconfirmed Member
Dark Souls I and III are the best examples I've seen of game's just looking a million times better purely from boosting the resolution. I didn't really like how DS3 looked on PS4, but slapping a reshade preshade I like on there and downsampling just made it look gorgeous.

Dark Souls 3 has garbage anti-aliasing and DoF implementation at low resolutions. At 1080p, it's worth turning off DoF because it looks really bad (just see it in Irithyll). All foliage is horrid as well and even injecting SMAA doesn't really help.

At 4K however, it looks damn good and DoF looks fantastic.

Lux R7

Dark Souls 3 has garbage anti-aliasing and DoF implementation at low resolutions. At 1080p, it's worth turning off DoF because it looks really bad (just see it in Irithyll). All foliage is horrid as well and even injecting SMAA doesn't really help.

At 4K however, it looks damn good and DoF looks fantastic.

You start noticing some differences even at 1440p imho

Top Bottom