• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 World Cup to begin in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Moc

Banned
kf2Fm9t.png

What does "stadium operations" mean, and why is it medium risk everywhere except the USA?

Torino was also an Olympic all-time low, and Sochi lost the key 18-49 demo. In other words it's not good for the IOC and Co.

Hopefully FIFA ratings plummet in the USA and it surely will in Nov/Dec

I normally would watch the cup regardless of who's playing. The timetable puts this squarely into american football season (both professional and college). My viewing will likely be greatly diminished by this. Unless a particularly great match up is in the offering I'd rather watch american football.

SuperHans

Didn't they win the bid based on a summer tournament? It should be taken off them or boycotted.

Who's your favourite Qatar player?
Eric Clapton

They still had slaves dying before, the only reason YOU care is because of the world cup.

And yes, the cultural exchange in a conservative islamic place will absolutely change it, it will not be the bacon of tolerance, but it will make fundamental changes, that are already happening.

And no, Australia is not the minimum size for a World Cup; that is a country 60 times (you read that right) bigger than England, 20 times bigger than Germany. If it was for that, the only countries allowed to have world cups would be Russia, USA, China, India and Brazil (I may be missing a few others, but you get the point).

If it was for country size, none of the European countries could ever host a World Cup, and if it is for wealth, yes Qatar does have that.

In the end, the arguments against a Qatari world cup make absolutely no sense at all; the world cup should be played everywhere. Even Chile and Uruguay (countries much bigger than european countries, but really, really poor at the time of making) had world cups.

I would love world cups in Bolivia, China, Iran, Cuba (OMG! he is a communist!), Colombia, Ukraine, Camerun, etc. Every country should have a world cup at some point.

Most of the countries you mention don't have the infrastructure to support holding the world cup, are you even remotely aware of how much it even costs to host the thing?

Xando

German football league is already threatening to sue Fifa if they don't pay compensation for missing revenue.

WC is apparently supposed to take place from 24th Nov. to 23 Dec.

King_Moc

Banned
German football league is already threatining to sue Fifa if they don't pay compensation for missing revenue.

Good, hope everyone else follows suit, though I see Arsenal Wenger has already praised the decision.

World Cup final on Friday, the day before Christmas eve. Great, let's turn Christmas into a celebration of murdering slaves.

Lego Boss

So what happens to the ACoN in 2023? Surely it can't still be played in January.

They're going to run it alongside the World Cup.

Cameroon vs Germany at noon, then Cameroon vs Mali in the PM.

International teams have a squad of 23 players for a reason you know!

can't do christmas shopping footy is on.
Just as a spectator i wouldn't mind it tbh, you are staying inside all day anyway and it's a quite time in my industry but if you look at the big picture it's very stupid.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Most of the countries you mention don't have the infrastructure to support holding the world cup, are you even remotely aware of how much it even costs to host the thing?
Well, if they build the infrastructure, then what's the problem?

When the world cup was here in Chile, we didn't have infrastructure (or money), but all the people put their minds to do it, we built stadiums that we use to this day; and the world cup turned out fine.

The story is quite fun, the two options were Argentina and Chile (because Europe hosted two WCs in a row, so it was SA's turn), and before the election, the Argentine representative said something along the lines "we can host a World Cup tomorrow if you want, we have everything". The next day, the Chilean representative said "Because we don't have anything, we want to do it all"; Chile won the election.

In 1960, prior to the world cup, there was an earthquake in Chile, the biggest earthquake mankind has registered ever (9.5), more than 2,000 people died, but the country still wanted to host a world cup, and we did. Poor, devastated, in winter, with little infrastructure.

The end result was a party that no one in this country has forgotten, we know it's something that could possibly never be repeated; but it was absolutely awesome.

That's the spirit that a world cup should have IMO, and I know the countries I mentioned don't have the infrastructure. That doesn't mean they can't hold a world cup.

BTW, I think it should be that the World Cup is in Europe every other tournament. Fuck trying to send it to new places in the world. The simple fact is that without Europe there would not be a FIFA. There would not be all the money pouring in from European television deals that then go to all the federations around the world.
Right, it's not the World Cup or even the "world's" game, it's European's and don't you dirty non-Euros forget it.

Also, not to be an ass or anything, but...
Evilore said:
Also note, footie-gaf threads in the off-topic forum that would normally be acceptable, like league final OTs, will not be allowed during this period.

La Liga, representada por su presidente Javier Tebas, asistió hoy en Doha a la reunión del grupo de trabajo de la FIFA encargado de buscar fechas para el Mundial de Qatar. La FIFA propone disputar el torneo entre el 19 de noviembre y el 23 de diciembre de 2022.

La Asociación de Ligas Profesionales Europeas (EPFL), encabezada por la Liga y la Premier League, mostró su oposición a esta nueva propuesta "que perturbará y causará un grave daño al normal desarrollo de las competiciones europeas", como asegura la EPFL en un comunicado.

Las ligas y los clubes europeos se han reafirmado en su posición de celebrar el Mundial de Catar en el mes de mayo, periodo aceptable por razones climatológicas y que favorece tanto a jugadores como a aficionados.

La decisión final se conocerá el próximo 19 de marzo durante el Comité Ejecutivo de la FIFA.

This says that the Euro leagues (la liga/premier) are opposed and still want it in May

http://www.marca.com/2015/02/24/futbol/1adivision/1424792362.html

IceCold

what a disgrace. This will not only fuck the season the WC will interrupt but the one afterwards. Most players in the WC play in European leagues and they should seriously consider a boycott.

This just doesn't make sense. if the worldcup is from November to December that means that players will have to leave their club at the latest in October to train. Then when they come back they will need another month to relax and prevent injuries before starting the league again. that's at least a 4 months break in the regular season and champions league. Will they be expected to play in the summer? What's worse is that many tv networks bought the rights to the WC with the guarantee it would play in the summer. They can't be happy about this especially in the U.S. where the WC will have to compete with the other major sports.

RangerX

Banned
Gary neville is talking about this on Talksport now and hes actually making a good argument for a winter world cup in the middle east. The high rate of death amongst workers and generally horrible working conditons is why it should be boycotted though.

Kain

FIFA is so corrupt it makes Michael Corleone seem like a kid selling watery lemonade in his front yard.

Mesousa

Banned
This is probably going to be the best world cup in a long time. I remember the same type of Anger, and resentment, when the Republic of Korea and Japan won their bid. Especially from European fans who complained that Japan had never even qualified for a cup. Outside from a few biased refs it ended up being a great tournament and I expect the same in 2022.

leave it to the mods and pm them if you have a problem with anything
Given the energetic responses and lack of clarity over which footie threads are allowed and which aren't perhaps I should.

'footie-gaf threads in the off-topic forum that would normally be acceptable, like league final OTs, will not be allowed during this period.'

This doesn't fall under that, not in my eyes. It's not like a Champions League OT.
I think where my confusion is coming from is that I did not read that as an exhaustive list. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

zychi

Banned
This isn't going to affect ratings worldwide, but the US will most likely be lower on weekends because of the NFL.

Still awesome they are switching it up

Mesousa

Banned
This isn't going to affect ratings worldwide, but the US will most likely be lower on weekends because of the NFL.

Still awesome they are switching it up

I expect, if current rates continue, that world/domestic football will be bigger than the NFL.

Remember, the NFL in the early 80's freaked out and conspired to crush the NASL, which were killing NFL in ratings as ABC would have prime matches on weekends. Considering the MLS is, and will be, giving a much better product than the NASL all signs look good.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
This is probably going to be the best world cup in a long time. I remember the same type of Anger, and resentment, when the Republic of Korea and Japan. Especially from European fans who complained that Japan had never even qualified for a cup. Outside from a few biased refs it ended up being a great tournament and I expect the same in 2022.

I am glad more than 500 died so a country with absolutely no football history, a climate that is not appropiate for playing the sport, and with extremely homophobic and sexist laws can host the biggest tourney in sports. But hey, a completely different nation with different conditions in a completely different area managed to do it, so why not!

Arjen

This is probably going to be the best world cup in a long time. I remember the same type of Anger, and resentment, when the Republic of Korea and Japan. Especially from European fans who complained that Japan had never even qualified for a cup. Outside from a few biased refs it ended up being a great tournament and I expect the same in 2022.

Japan and Korea was a horrible World Cup.

Mesousa

Banned
I am glad more than 500 died so a country with absolutely no football history, a climate that is not appropiate for playing the sport, and with extremely homophobic and sexist laws can host the biggest tourney in sports. But hey, a completely different nation with different conditions in a completely different area managed to do it, so why not!

And hopefully this spotlight will be the catalyst to have things changed by 2022.

Japan and Korea was a horrible World Cup.
It was Fantastic.

So many great matches.

Brazil v England
Senegal v Uruguay
USA vs Mexico
Ronaldo redemption in the Final vs Germany

It was a great tournament that had a few instances of bad reefing. no different than any other world cup since in that regard though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom