• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21:9 Gaming Thread | That cinematic feel

Got the stand in today from amazon. It works perfect! Now the monitor is not right in my face hahaha and I have a great range of motion with this thing to put it at any angle I want.

VzUvZNg.jpg

catbrush

I still haven't gotten over this thing. Dolphin running Xenoblade at 21:9 is a thing to behold (even though it's obviously dated in the graphical department).

Dolphin in 21:9 is such a beautiful thing.

Edit:
Mario Galaxy is magnificient. So si Skyward Sword but I have some display bugs in 21:9, does it work perfectly on your side?

Fifa17 is also incredible in 21:9.

Sorry for late reply, a lot of games have culling issues in 21:9. I think there are some hack codes that can fix this, but I haven't looked into it very deeply.

So, i bought myself a little 1060 i5 pre built machine off best buy today and now i'm looking at a monitor. I'd love to go 21:9 but i didn't want to spend all that much. I sold my laptop to pay for this (800) so i'd like a monitor sub $300.

Currently i'm on newegg eyeing:

LG 29UM67P $300
LG 25UM56-P $150
LG 29UB55-B $250

1) How bad of an idea is it to go 60hz on a monitor
2) Coming from a 15.6 inch laptop display, where would you think the sweet spot is on an upgrade?

Ettie

So, i bought myself a little 1060 i5 pre built machine off best buy today and now i'm looking at a monitor. I'd love to go 21:9 but i didn't want to spend all that much. I sold my laptop to pay for this (800) so i'd like a monitor sub $300.

Currently i'm on newegg eyeing:

LG 29UM67P $300
LG 25UM56-P $150
LG 29UB55-B $250

1) How bad of an idea is it to go 60hz on a monitor
2) Coming from a 15.6 inch laptop display, where would you think the sweet spot is on an upgrade?

Best Buy will have a 29, maybe the one you have there, for 179 on Black Friday. Wait it out if you're looking for a cheap entry.

So I'm eyeballing ultra-wide monitors. Currently I'm looking at the LG 34UM67 and LG 34UM57-P. As I understand it the former is an updated version of the latter. Is the newer worth the added price? This coming from someone who knows nothing about the Freesync stuff.

I'm just looking for a nice, no-frills ultra-wide monitor, but I'll spend a little more if it's worth the extra money. I've also seen the older monitor closer to $300 even.

Are there any other monitors I might consider in the $300-$400 price range? And do these monitors mention handle blacks well? My current monitor absolutely crushes black levels, and makes dark scenes in movies and games really unpleasant, and no amount of calibrating can fix it!

OraleeWey

So I'm eyeballing ultra-wide monitors. Currently I'm looking at the LG 34UM67 and LG 34UM57-P. As I understand it the former is an updated version of the latter. Is the newer worth the added price? This coming from someone who knows nothing about the Freesync stuff.

I'm just looking for a nice, no-frills ultra-wide monitor, but I'll spend a little more if it's worth the extra money. I've also seen the older monitor closer to $300 even.

Are there any other monitors I might consider in the $300-$400 price range? And do these monitors mention handle blacks well? My current monitor absolutely crushes black levels, and makes dark scenes in movies and games really unpleasant, and no amount of calibrating can fix it!

You want freesync if you have an AMD video card. If not don't worry about it as it is only supported by AMD cards.

SliChillax

Guys anyone had experience buying on Amazon used stuff? There's this definitely sketchy (or too good to be true) seller on Amazon who has an inventory of stuff sold at half price almost everything. He has no feedback but has thousands of products. He's selling the PG348Q for 750 euros new (even if it was used it would still be a smashing deal). Name of the seller is TTS (Taifun Teppich Service) GmbH. They have an address on their Amazon page TTS GmbH Sportplatzstraße 1-3 Langenzenn 90579 DE which is a real address and it does appear on Google Maps but it's listed as a carpet store. I mean there's some obvious fuckery here, how does Amazon allow stuff like this? Here's the link
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01A9EN4YU/

Sometimes I feel like I overpaid for my x34 (1300 + Cali tax ).

I got it right when it first came out last oct/november

But then I use it and I'm glad I bought it

SliChillax

Sometimes I feel like I overpaid for my x34 (1300 + Cali tax ).

I got it right when it first came out last oct/november

But then I use it and I'm glad I bought it

Are you referring to my post above? If yes, it's clearly a scam. No one would sell that monitor for 750 euros.

Vuze

Guys anyone had experience buying on Amazon used stuff? There's this definitely sketchy (or too good to be true) seller on Amazon who has an inventory of stuff sold at half price almost everything. He has no feedback but has thousands of products. He's selling the PG348Q for 750 euros new (even if it was used it would still be a smashing deal). Name of the seller is TTS (Taifun Teppich Service) GmbH. They have an address on their Amazon page TTS GmbH Sportplatzstraße 1-3 Langenzenn 90579 DE which is a real address and it does appear on Google Maps but it's listed as a carpet store. I mean there's some obvious fuckery here, how does Amazon allow stuff like this? Here's the link
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01A9EN4YU/
These scams have been going on for months on amazon. They want you to send the money outside of amazons payment routine. Of course you'll never get the product. They imitate legitimate but totally unrelated stores as you've already seen.

SliChillax

These scams have been going on for months on amazon. They want you to send the money outside of amazons payment routine. Of course you'll never get the product. They imitate legitimate but totally unrelated stores as you've already seen.

I came across the exact same scam two days ago. They even provided a fake email I couldn't send anything to. What's worse is that these low prices from these scams always come up first and they mislead me everytime I wanna buy something. Almost bought a GTX 1080 Strix for 460 euros yesterday.

Matty8787

So guys I can't afford a predator or ROG but I wanna join the party! So what affordable 21:9 monitors is for me? 34" please and curves a bonus.

60hz is fine despite me having a 1080

Edit: I am currently @ 1440p 27" so would prefer to stick at 1440p unless somebody can convince me back to 1080p?

Kieli

I came across the exact same scam two days ago. They even provided a fake email I couldn't send anything to. What's worse is that these low prices from these scams always come up first and they mislead me everytime I wanna buy something. Almost bought a GTX 1080 Strix for 460 euros yesterday.

If it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true.

Unless it's your best friend selling you his old GTX 1080 at a bro's discount.

vlaktron

Neo Member
A question for you Ultrawide Gaf. I'm looking to upgrade my super old 1080p monitors for a new 34" ultra. The LG 34UM88C-P can be had from ncixus for what appears to be a pretty good deal right now ($560) for 1440p and freesync, but no curve. Does anyone have experience with this monitor?

Is freesync worth it? I don't do a lot gaming on my PC and currently have an RX470 8gb, so I'm not sure how well I'll be able to do 1440p gaming. I wouldn't plan on getting a new monitor anytime soon, so I'm trying to figure out if its a worthwhile feature to have. Or would I be better off saving some money by getting one without freesync?

Tunned

Have you guys seen the LG 38UC99-W? I was about to pull the trigger and buy it, but then I saw that it comes with AMD's Freesync...

I don't understand LG's logic here. Seeing that most of the high end GPU market belongs to Nvidia, I don't get why they went with Freesync. I read that implementing G-sync comes at a cost for manufacturers because you have to pay Nvidia, where as Freesync is free, buy why not offer the option of both?

I really hope LG releases this monitor with G-Sync in the future. It would be my dream monitor.

PFD

Have you guys seen the LG 38UC99-W? I was about to pull the trigger and buy it, but then I saw that it comes with AMD's Freesync...

I don't understand LG's logic here. Seeing that most of the high end GPU market belongs to Nvidia, I don't get why they went with Freesync. I read that implementing G-sync comes at a cost for manufacturers because you have to pay Nvidia, where as Freesync is free, buy why not offer the option of both?

I really hope LG releases this monitor with G-Sync in the future. It would be my dream monitor.

The resolution is too high for smooth gaming unless you have a monster SLI setup

Tunned

The resolution is too high for smooth gaming unless you have a monster SLI setup

I recon that if anything, you can always play at 3440 X 1440 on it. I don't play competitively so FPS is not too crucial for me. I own a 2015 Titan X, I think it would do the job.

I recon that if anything, you can always play at 3440 X 1440 on it. I don't play competitively so FPS is not too crucial for me. I own a 2015 Titan X, I think it would do the job.
Well, if he wanted to avoid letterboxing, then it would be 3456x1440 as they're not quite the same aspect ratio :p

SliChillax

Guys sorry if it's been asked numerous times but PG348Q or X34A?

Edit: Ignore my post, I saw some great prices on Amazon but it's the usual scams

No, you did well. We don't know when the next iteration will come out, and it's likely going to be just an incremental upgrade.

Correct about next iteration likely being a while off (back end of next year I suspect) however disagree about incremental - will likely be Displayport 1.3 which opens up 120Hz 4k monitors (and some sort of HDR implementation).

Got the stand in today from amazon. It works perfect! Now the monitor is not right in my face hahaha and I have a great range of motion with this thing to put it at any angle I want.

Did you mention what stand it is? I've been looking to get a good one for my 3440x1440 monitor as well.

Did you mention what stand it is? I've been looking to get a good one for my 3440x1440 monitor as well.

Yup sure did. I linked it on the last page. Here is the link again: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IWOBGI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Highly recommend it. It works great! The range of motion and stability of the arm is awesome, it feels really solid. Pretty easy to install as well. I just have it clamped on to the desk, so no wall mount or drilling needed. Also supports a lot of bracket choices, so it should work with most monitors.

Oxn

Yup sure did. I linked it on the last page. Here is the link again: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IWOBGI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Highly recommend it. It works great! The range of motion and stability of the arm is awesome, it feels really solid. Pretty easy to install as well. I just have it clamped on to the desk, so no wall mount or drilling needed. Also supports a lot of bracket choices, so it should work with most monitors.

What made u decide to go with this one as oppose to the others under $100 and gets 5 star ratings?

What made u decide to go with this one as oppose to the others under $100 and gets 5 star ratings?

Mainly because I saw someone with my same exact monitor use this stand as well and this stand was known to hold up bigger monitors pretty well. I'm sure there is a bunch of other stands that are good for cheaper. But I know I was getting a solid stand that worked with the Asus PG348Q.

So I ended up getting an LG 25UM58-P. I really thought about it, and I just couldn't see being comfortable with a 34" monitor. My current 24" is almost too big, as silly as that sounds. Only problem is going to be playing 16:9 on the new one since the screen space will be considerably lower.

As long as it doesn't crush blacks like this monitor does it will be just fine, though!

Should be here tomorrow.

ParityBit

Can a 1070 fully power a Acer Predator 34-inch Curved UltraWide QHD or ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q?

I am looking for a new monitor and am starting to do a little research

ParityBit

Hell yeah it can, although I'd recommend opting for the 8GB variant for the resolution.

Which one is that? Sorry, I am just trying to catch up with the tech stuff now. I have been away from it a while (kid will do that)

Edit: Oh you mean card. Yeah I got the MSI Gaming Z.

Now I need a new monitor (bad!)

Lazaro

cross post from Dead Rising 4 OT

Can confirm game has 21:9 support.
In-Game is 21:9
lXGGZFg.jpg

but...
In-Game cut scenes ae 16:9
Menus including pause menu are limited to 16:9

Quick screenshot taken from laptop with 3GB 670M GTX

No surprise cut scenes are forced 16:9. A lot of games are like that and I can understand why.

It makes it that much more impressive that SWTOR supports ultra-wide in cut scenes without cropping.

swtor2016-12-0620-41-sopoj.png

Over the past week I've been sampling all my games to see how well they do 21:9. Here's some random screenshots.

Crysis 3 (1080p)
c3-1080bpk7g.jpg

Dishonored (8xSGSSAA)
dishonored-8xsgssaasaj30.jpg

Half Life 2 (5k, 8xSGSSAA)
hl2-5k-8xsgssaabnjo5.jpg

GTA 5 (4k)
gta5-4k93k7g.jpg

The Division (4k)
thed-4kn0k4x.jpg

Borderlands Pre-Sequel (5k)
blps-5kgykr9.jpg

Elder Scrolls Online (5k)
eso-5kwlklb.jpg

Dragon Age Inquisition (5k)
dai-5k85jif.jpg

I'm just so surprised almost all of my games support it. I was thinking maybe half of them would.

Dave_6

I really, really want a 21:9 display but I also want to wait and see if anything new in the front is shown at CES. Not sure if my PC is even up to the task to run a 1440p display anyways (3570K and a 970).

Lister

Banned
Over the past week I've been sampling all my games to see how well they do 21:9. Here's some random screenshots.

Crysis 3 (1080p)
c3-1080bpk7g.jpg

Dishonored (8xSGSSAA)

hl2-5k-8xsgssaabnjo5.jpg

GTA 5 (4k)
gta5-4k93k7g.jpg

The Division (4k)
thed-4kn0k4x.jpg

blps-5kgykr9.jpg

eso-5kwlklb.jpg

dai-5k85jif.jpg

I'm just so surprised almost all of my games support it. I was thinking maybe half of them would.

Great screenies! I don't recall that area in inquisition, is it from DLC?

MRORANGE

When you're going to work and see 10 LG 21:9 curved screens boxes outside an office:

KZ5LnYk.jpg

lucky bastards.

Yeah Checked if there was any monitors inside.

Great screenies! I don't recall that area in inquisition, is it from DLC?

It's from the base game. It's Emprise Du Lion, probably the prettiest area in the game.

I really, really want a 21:9 display but I also want to wait and see if anything new in the front is shown at CES. Not sure if my PC is even up to the task to run a 1440p display anyways (3570K and a 970).

I had gone back and forth thinking of getting a bigger monitor with ultrawide 1080p, or the full 1440p, but ended up settling on a "small" 1080p one. No regrets, considering it was only $150 and still looks lovely. I think a 970 would have no problem pushing this resolution.

Coffinhal

Crysis 3 (1080p)
c3-1080bpk7g.jpg

Dishonored (8xSGSSAA)

hl2-5k-8xsgssaabnjo5.jpg

GTA 5 (4k)
gta5-4k93k7g.jpg

The Division (4k)
thed-4kn0k4x.jpg

blps-5kgykr9.jpg

eso-5kwlklb.jpg

dai-5k85jif.jpg

I just re-played the first two hours of Dishonored on my laptop (Surface Book 13,5" w/ 940m) then I saw your screenshot and I decided to try it on my 34" 21:9 screen and yeah, it's Nothing like my small screen and the aspect ratio definitely changes the experience. too bad I can't bring it with me everywhere though (and I plan to play Dishonored for the holidays then go with Dishonored 2 on the 21:9 so the difference will be even more striking)

ParityBit

Man ... seeing these images. I have read so many reviews on some monitors and I am still looking at one of the two I listed. It is so much money, I just do not want to ... "waste" it on the wrong one.

Acer Pred X34 vs Asus ROG PG348Q

Coffinhal

The Samsung 34" is perfect for its price (around 700-800 euros when I bought it). Little curve, sharp, no backbleed or whatever, great blacks despite missing détails in dark scènes when not calibrated... No g/sync though.

Top Bottom