• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Monster Hunter World footage

I wonder how many people are turned off by boss fights, I know some people don't like boss fights because you need extra effort and time to beat a boss which is why people like cinematic games like uncharted.etc where they like to beat NPC fodders to feel powerful.

Every single monster in Monster Hunter is a boss fight because you need time and effort to beat it.
I also think of monster hunter in a similar way. It's like a game thats just all about the boss fights.

Are you saying this after becoming accustomed to the game? This is not an easy series to get into at all. Will be trying again with this entry, but my previous experience was more frustrating than anything.

I'm like 90% sure that most people don't have that much trouble with the entry level "Medium" monsters. I know people who are really bad at games in general, and others who have never played MH before, and they managed to take down the first "Raptor" style boss first go. I think a big part of it is not using the more advanced weapons (Lances with the dodges replaced by hops, Bowguns being difficult to solo with combined with the ammo system etc) because it puts you at a big disadvantage until you get used to the weapon.

Mupod

What's the source of this? When I googled it the Encyclopedias came up but it seems they have no english version (that I can find atleast)

Monster Hunter Illustrations vol 1 and 2 got english releases. Far as I know 3 was never translated.

They are crazy detailed. The MH universe has tons of lore and detail but the games generally just have the feel of giving you a small window into it. Of course, not everything is canon, there's a lot of stuff that never made it past the concept stage.

I always try starting off each game with a new weapon. Before I revert to maiming Hammer and GS

this is what I do too. The one weapon I have absolutely no idea how to use is the charge blade. so I may go with that this time around. Could give lances another shot too, haven't used them much since 2nd gen.

Still, if the moveset changes are substantial, I may want to explore and practice with my old standbys. I'm very curious about MHWorld HBG, but even as an HBG 'main' it's always been kind of a shit weapon to use right off the bat. Need certain armor skills like evade distance, and lots of money. I wonder if they'll do something about that...

Hoodbury

I wonder how many people are turned off by boss fights, I know some people don't like boss fights because you need extra effort and time to beat a boss which is why people like cinematic games like uncharted.etc where they like to beat NPC fodders to feel powerful.

Every single monster in Monster Hunter is a boss fight because you need time and effort to beat it.

I'm not a big fan of boss fights in most games but I love Monster Hunter. I think the reasoning is progression. In other games you are progressing your character just fine doing the normal content: leveling up, getting new gear, new stats etc; and then the bosses are just kinda like damage sponges that are 'usually' tough road blocks to moving on in the story.

In Monster Hunter all you have is bosses to progress your character so that's all you care about. Somehow it just works and they are super fun as well and so extremely satisfying to take down.

So I just got an ad for this on youtube. Dunno how targeted the ads on youtube are since I don't typically watch them, but thought that was interesting.

Kyoufu

So I just got an ad for this on youtube. Dunno how targeted the ads on youtube are since I don't typically watch them, but thought that was interesting.

That explains why the trailer has 7.2 million views, heh.

They're actually marketing this game... :eek:

That explains why the trailer has 7.2 million views, heh.

They're actually marketing this game... :eek:

They should do a short on-state demo at PSX. That event itself is perfect timing if the game ends up releasing in Jan/Feb. Combined with some closed/open betas, being playable on the showfloor, Capcom could really make a big push with the game in a way that past MH games haven't experienced in the west.

Kyoufu

They should do a short on-state demo at PSX. That event itself is perfect timing if the game ends up releasing in Jan/Feb. Combined with some closed/open betas, being playable on the showfloor, Capcom could really make a big push with the game in a way that past MH games haven't experienced in the west.

Yup and yup and yup.

It'll be playable at Gamescom which is good for some European coverage and then it'll be playable at TGS along with some new info as well. Then PSX should be their next destination after that. Hopefully they make better trailers lol.

Raven117

I'm not a big fan of boss fights in most games but I love Monster Hunter. I think the reasoning is progression. In other games you are progressing your character just fine doing the normal content: leveling up, getting new gear, new stats etc; and then the bosses are just kinda like damage sponges that are 'usually' tough road blocks to moving on in the story.

In Monster Hunter all you have is bosses to progress your character so that's all you care about. Somehow it just works and they are super fun as well and so extremely satisfying to take down.

Same, I usually loathe boss fights. Yes, even in the Souls games.

But there is something so tactical and strategic about Monster Hunter bosses. The whole thing is about positioning and timing...way less about twitch reflexes. Hell, when you "git gud" you know you are about to go down many seconds (sometimes even minutes) before it actually happens because of the position you are in. Its brilliant.

Then release a public demo before launch as they always have.

I play monster hunter primarily for stress relief. I think once new players get used to the mechanics, the gameplay can be very rewarding and fighting monsters becomes the fun part rather than just beating them.

I think this is it. I've always thought the greatest success of the series was the "personality" of the monsters, and how it feels more like you're fighting an actual creature with an unpredictable nature than progressing through a series of phases like the term 'boss rush' implies. Not that there's none of that stuff or it isn't always happening at a certain level, Capcom just seems to hide it well.

Kyoufu

Blood confirmed.

ipc4dcH.png

Blood confirmed.
Have they also confirmed that there will be more than 3 large monsters? They've only shown 3, and as we all know if it wasn't in the demo they probably fucked it all up. Same goes for locales. I don't want to hunt all 3 of the game's monsters in the jungle. We need to get concerned STAT.

Clear this shit up, Capcom.

Kyoufu

Yep, keep in mind that age rating could be a factor in having lots of blood in a game that looks far more "realistic" than any of the MH games have to date.

Have they also confirmed that there will be more than 3 large monsters? They've only shown 3, and as we all know if it wasn't in the demo they probably fucked it all up. Same goes for locales. I don't want to hunt all 3 of the game's monsters in the jungle. We need to get concerned STAT.

I know you're being facetious, but goddamn it I know some people are taking your post seriously and furiously growing rage boners.

I wonder if the drop in multiplayer flare will be usable in what has traditionally been the single player component. of the game.

I suppose that would go some way towards allowing people who are overwhelmed to get some help clearing an obstacle.

Orayn

I wonder if the drop in multiplayer flare will be usable in what has traditionally been the single player component. of the game.

I suppose that would go some way towards allowing people who are overwhelmed to get some help clearing an obstacle.

I imagine tearing down the wall between village and guild/hub/gathering hall/whatever quests will be one part of what MH World does, probably for the best.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Tsujimoto says lots of blood gushing out isn't MH, but there will be some blood and lots of scarring so you can feel the damage you're dealing.

https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/877673264213929984

Isn't there more blood in the Japanese versions? I seem to remember MHP3rd having huge gushes, especially when you struck a weak point.

The scarring sounds cool, though. I think that'll help people to feel like they're getting somewhere, while hanging on for the eventual "It's limping!"

To all those concerned about lack of impact and "weight" to the animations:
Remember that just swinging your sword at a random part of a monster will net you an unsatisfying "phwish" and there won't be a lot of feedback.
Striking a weak point (depends on monster, but usually head, wings, etc.) will give you some nice hit-stun and hit-flash to show you're on the right track to breaking a piece and hopefully getting extra rewards upon finishing the quest.

It feels like the devs couldn't really concentrate while presenting, so their attacks weren't that efficient and as a result we didn't see a lot of nice satisfying feedback. But there's nothing to suggest that they'd remove something so integral to the combat.

Listening to Ryozo at the end of the presentation, it's like he's almost exasperated at the amount of concern from people thinking this isn't "real" MonHun. Every time he speaks it seems like he's adamant about giving fans what they're used to, while also finding ways to appeal to a broader (western) audience.

I imagine tearing down the wall between village and guild/hub/gathering hall/whatever quests will be one part of what MH World does, probably for the best.

I imagine they'll still have different villages/towns depending on what you want to do. I'm actually looking forward to helping people out.

In previous games I would join random rooms and help people through their urgent quests so being able to drop in in the middle of a hunt sounds appealing to me.

I know it's a joke but I feel like this sums up a lot of the cynicism surrounding this.

Kyoufu

In previous games I would join random rooms and help people through their urgent quests so being able to drop in in the middle of a hunt sounds appealing to me.

Best feature for multiplayer that they've added tbh. So many times I've had players disconnect in the middle of hunts and whenever I start a quest without a full team, someone joins the lobby when we've loaded in. This feature solves those issues I had.

is the mashing triangle qte to stab them in the back 20 times common? Always wanted to try the coop for these games but that kind of thing just looks annoying to me

Ridley327

I wonder if the scarring is simply just the usual parts breaking changes on monsters. I'd be really surprised if there was a more robust feature than that, since that would probably cause more ratings issues than the blood would.

Defuser

I wonder if the scarring is simply just the usual parts breaking changes on monsters. I'd be really surprised if there was a more robust feature than that, since that would probably cause more ratings issues than the blood would.
Scarring always happen after you break the parts in the previous monster hunter games. It's practically the same here.

Camjo-Z

is the mashing triangle qte to stab them in the back 20 times common? Always wanted to try the coop for these games but that kind of thing just looks annoying to me

You're not required to mount monsters so you can totally ignore the mechanic if you find it annoying.

It's only when you're mounting a monster. It worked the same way in Monster Hunter 4 and Monster Hunter Generations on the 3DS.

Samaritan

That's sure Monster Hunter on a proper console! Sign me the hell up.

Though I do want to note, what's with the weird lack of blood? It makes the hits look a lot weaker than I'm used to from previous games.

Kyoufu

That's sure Monster Hunter on a proper console! Sign me the hell up.

Though I do want to note, what's with the weird lack of blood? It makes the hits look a lot weaker than I'm used to from previous games.

It's not enabled in that demo build.

Top Bottom