• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Monster Hunter World footage

Jolkien

Gonna be my first Monster Hunter game as well. Lots of running and kiting from what I saw on that stream but I'll check it out :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The One and Done™;241401033 said:
So is this a new series? Never heard of it before.
Wow, what is this game? Some dark souls ripoff?
............Is this real life

I know you're being facetious, but goddamn it I know some people are taking your post seriously and furiously growing rage boners.
Really? lol, people are crazy. Though I vaguely recall another game like that, where people assumed "there's only gonna be 3 levels? wut?" or "there's only 4 weapons?" or something based on a short demo/trailer and I was facepalming so hard. I forgot which game it was though. But it was an established franchise and there was no reason for people to assume any of that. Maybe Dark Souls 3 or something.

^ in JRPGs like Tales and Persona, the first reveal trailers would only show like the 1-2 main characters.

"They removed parties?!"

Without fail.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna be my first Monster Hunter game as well. Lots of running and kiting from what I saw on that stream but I'll check it out :p

There's "kiting", but not in the traditional sense. (Never even thought of it in that way, tbh). It's very tactical even in current iterations, and really satisfying when you lure a monster into a trap or group of buddies in prime position.
With the verticality and jumping introduced to recent entries, it's even more important, as you can lead a monster to hang around below a ledge and then get the drop on them before they follow you up or flip out.

There is definitely running, though. Yup, plenty of running. Lol

Do note that the "silly run" animation is a visual clue to let you know you're actually running away from a large monster, and can perform an evasive dive that has a lot of invincible frames for when you need to GTFO (but also consumes stamina and has significant recovery).

Hopefully World will introduce these seemingly-mundane-but-actually-very-important things in a well-presented way, and not just resort to the constant stop-start tutorial messages that have been a series staple so far.

Anyway, really glad to see people saying they want to jump in based on this reveal alone. Maybe we should set up a GAF Hunter Support Group before/after the game launches.
I have nothing but love for this series, and only want to see it grow, so would gladly assist with something like that!

JP_

Banned
You seem to be getting mad. MH simply requires you to learn the weapons, monsters and quest preperation. Most people having trouble with this are acting like the game is very complex but I think it comes down to having patience and learning.

Weapons have basic combos (well the most at least), monsters have limited moves, the items that are mandatory (like pots, meat, whetstones etc.) are only a handful.

These are fundamentals of MH and if you can't cope with that then again, this game is not for you.

Monster hunter is special because it's not like other games, but it's not something that is apparent in videos. It's a lot easier for monhun to click when someone else has somehow set your expectations, but that's not going to be the case for everyone. And Great Sword is not a good pick for new players. It just behaves so differently than other games, so it's reasonable to have people confused and not understand what the game is trying to get them to do.

But it sounds like he was able to get into it despite the rocky start, so obviously your snark is flat out wrong.

This might give you an idea for how interacting with monsters generally feels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s_Avcc8Bpw

But also know that he makes it look easy and the first time you go up against something like that you're going to get smacked around all over the place and it'll do more damage because your armor will be worse. The beauty of monster hunter is the intrinsic reward you get from mastery when monsters that seem impossible are finally defeated.

jackal27

Banned
Those tracking bugs and Navi girl are really going to get on my nerves. Is this just a tutorial thing?
I'm really, really hoping so. The navi girl made me think that we're just watching them play the tutorial, which doesn't give my mind a TON of ease, because tutorials are always so heavily scripted. I'm really wanting this game to prove me wrong, but I think I'm going to be sceptical right up until release.

Kyoufu

Those tracking bugs and Navi girl are really going to get on my nerves. Is this just a tutorial thing?

You can turn off her VA and read her tips in text form like previous games.

Flies are a part of the game. You don't have to use them but they're there for tracking purposes.

MildSoss

I'm surprised at people being upset about the flies. Don't the fire flies pretty much serve the same purpose as paint balls?

Defuser

Sometimes I wish Capcom didn't use great sword for their reveals and media.

Greatsword is a beginners trap for new players who were in awe that hunter in the video can handle a cool giant sword with such badassery...only to find out it's slow and frustrating for newbies.

WHAT THE FUCK

I'm the only one dreaming of fighting him in 4k?

I don't know if you're the ONLY one but I imagine you and whoever else would be in the minority.

Derpchicken would be a waste of a monster. It's always been a joke to fight and just isn't that interesting.

All the dromes can stay out too.

Though I know they'll have new dromes or drome equivalents; Great Jagrass probably already fits the bill.

I don't know if you're the ONLY one but I imagine you and whoever else would be in the minority.

Derpchicken would be a waste of a monster. It's always been a joke to fight and just isn't that interesting.

Though I know they'll have new dromes or drome equivalents; Great Jagrass probably already fits the bill.
I hope they add back Quropeco (sp?)

Arynio

Now this one's a good request because then they'd have an excuse to add Deviljho who fits right into the monster eating shenanigans.

In a game where interaction between monsters is a major focus, Qurupeco and Deviljho can't possibly be absent... right?

Now this one's a good request because then they'd have an excuse to add Deviljho who fits right into the monster eating shenanigans.

I've mentioned this in the discord, but imagine doing all the work to cut off Jho's tail, and then he fucking literally swallows it before you can carve it.

Kyoufu

In a game where interaction between monsters is a major focus, Qurupeco and Deviljho can't possibly be absent... right?

I'd be very puzzled if they were. Anjanath already resembles Jho so here's hoping.

I've mentioned this in the discord, but imagine doing all the work to cut off Jho's tail, and then he fucking literally swallows it before you can carve it.

Yep, needs to happen. Anjanath can chew players so maybe Jho will be the advanced version.

Defuser

All the more Yian Kut Ku have to stay in. Its not for vet hunters, its a my first babby monster hunting prey for new hunters to learn. If they can't beat Yian Kut Ku they won't stand a chance against Rathalos.

Keep in mind that in previous games the basic tutorial lasts usually until you get to 3 stars rank. And every time you unlock a new functionality, a long string of text dialogue follows.

Sometimes I wish Capcom didn't use great sword for their reveals and media.

Greatsword is a beginners trap for new players who were in awe that hunter in the video can handle a cool giant sword with such badassery...only to find out it's slow and frustrating for newbies.

I would agree, but I think it easily shows that the weapon the player is using is made out of the monsters they're hunting. That's a pretty big aspect that needs more focus on.

Haunted

A reminder that the last generational Monster Hunter reboot that was made completely from-the-ground-up (Monster Hunter Tri) only had 18 big monsters and 35 monsters in total. So don't expect the usual ~50 big monsters and 70-80 monster total we've grown accustomed to over the last 7-8 years, let alone the absolutely insane 129(!) total monster count from XX.

We're very likely to see a strongly reduced monster count for this completely new start in a new generation of games.

for reference:
Code:
Tri (initial third generation game, completely new start)
# Small Monsters: 17
# Large Monsters: 18
# Total Monsters: 35

3U (final third generation game)
# Small Monsters: 22
# Large Monsters: 52
# Total Monsters: 74

4 (initial fourth generation game, based on third generation)
# Small Monsters: 20
# Large Monsters: 51
# Total Monsters: 71

XX (final fourth generation game)
# Small Monsters: 36
# Large Monsters: 93
# Total Monsters: 129

A reminder that the last generational Monster Hunter reboot that was made completely from-the-ground-up (Monster Hunter Tri) only had 18 big monsters and 35 monsters in total. So don't expect the usual ~50 big monsters and 70-80 monster total we've grown accustomed to over the last 7-8 years, let alone the absolutely insane 129(!) total monster count from XX.

We're very likely to see a strongly reduced monster count for this completely new start in a new generation of games.

for reference:
Code:
Tri (initial third generation game, completely new start)
# Small Monsters: 17
# Large Monsters: 18
# Total Monsters: 35

3U (final third generation game)
# Small Monsters: 22
# Large Monsters: 52
# Total Monsters: 74

4 (initial fourth generation game, based on third generation)
# Small Monsters: 20
# Large Monsters: 51
# Total Monsters: 71

XX (final fourth generation game)
# Small Monsters: 36
# Large Monsters: 93
# Total Monsters: 129

I don't mind at all. Tri had a really strong roster of monsters that were uniquely designed and we're not super derivative like the older generation monsters. I always hated fighting the older monsters in the newer games. They have the same old moves and crap hitboxes even in 4U and Generations. Give me Qurupeco and Kecha Wacha over Kut Ku any day of the week. Barroth over Gravios. Zinogre over Diablos.

MH World needs to have a fresh and solid roster. Not just recolours.

OmegaDL50

Keep in mind that this game has also been in development for 4+ years as well. So the monster count may not that small.

Also consider if they are reusing animations from older games. they can import the meshes of older monsters and just apply all new textures and shaders to make them fit the newer visual update.

This would also to be the first Monster Hunter game to release on platforms that has the common practice of large patches and updates, and Capcom is no stranger to taking advantage of that.

While the Wii U and 3DS could receive updates, they are never done to the scale as they are done for PC / PS4 / XBO.

I'd rather pay like $15 to $20 for a update expansion that upgrades the game to the G / Ultimate version as opposed to Capcom just not taking advantage of the patching systems that exist on Steam, PS4, and XBO and instead opt to re-release a revisional update on a new disc.

Raide

Maybe I should pick up the latests 3DS version to refresh myself.

Hrmmmm...World is changing things up a bit, so it's hard to know which 3ds one will it play similar to. Maybe 4U, since all the crazy hunter arts from the latest games are removed in World.

Peru

A reminder that the last generational Monster Hunter reboot that was made completely from-the-ground-up (Monster Hunter Tri) only had 18 big monsters and 35 monsters in total. [/CODE]

And is my favorite MonHun experience still. Amazing monsters and a great world that felt like an epic adventure awaiting you. Also that cover art is yet to be beat

Monster_Hunter_Tri_Box_Art.jpg

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm surprised at people being upset about the flies. Don't the fire flies pretty much serve the same purpose as paint balls?

Far from it.

The flies looks more like "AAA design for idiots" which has plagued a lot of games these days with such things as mystical glowing trails, invisible walls etc.

Paint balls you were required to hit a "large" type of monster with for it to take effect and display their location on the minimap. But it did not display the monsters facing. This effect eventually wears off over time.

Psychoserum upon being ingested would display all "large" monster types on the map for a few seconds.

The game has evolved on its own to be pretty obvious with what you could harvest. In the early days of the series you had to pretty much memorize locations on the map as the visual cues were not as large as they were now. Well some had obvious stuff, but others like mining points were not the rocks with colored minerals sticking out of them like they are now. The series evolved a lot more with MH3 in that aspect of them making much easier to spot objects for harvesting points.

There never was anything which literally pointed out where you could harvest though. But as the player isnt blind it was fairly obvious what the harvest locations were for the most part.

As others mentioned will be nice if its something that you dont need / can be turned off.

Isn't there more blood in the Japanese versions? I seem to remember MHP3rd having huge gushes, especially when you struck a weak point.

Not really with the series in general they started to pull back on the stuff like cutting in half the smaller enemies, blood splurts and such.

Had noticed that more on the 3DS versions that they scaled back the blood.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
With any luck, yes ;D Yian Garuga can jog on as well.

Jog on! HAH! Haven't heard that since playing with my old crew in Lincoln, UK!
Where are you from? Is that an actual known thing among MH players?

Not really with the series in general they started to pull back on the stuff like cutting in half the smaller enemies, blood splurts and such.

Had noticed that more on the 3DS versions that they scaled back the blood.

Ah yeah, you're right. Just went back to MHX today and it's definitely dialed down.
Still, the games don't really need blood for them to be satisfying. Gives us some nice chunky hit-stun/flash and we'll be set.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Jog on! HAH! Haven't heard that since playing with my old crew in Lincoln, UK!
Where are you from? Is that an actual known thing among MH players?

Ah yeah, you're right. Just went back to MHX today and it's definitely dialed down.
Still, the games don't really need blood for them to be satisfying. Gives us some nice chunky hit-stun/flash and we'll be set.

Yeah pretty much. I think they toned it back too since they seemed to have put more emphasis on the hit effects. Especially with the X series now. We cant see wtf is going on enough as is with all the crazy effects now lol

Keep in mind that in previous games the basic tutorial lasts usually until you get to 3 stars rank. And every time you unlock a new functionality, a long string of text dialogue follows.

Yeah, the bugs are more annoying to me. Why not just put a Crazy Taxi arrow in the game? haha

Sanctuary

I was already sold with the limited footage we saw at E3. And while they aren't really comparable gameplay wise, this might actually scratch the Dragon's Dogma sequel blues. The monster animations of that game always made me think of Monster Hunter anyway.

Far from it.

The flies looks more like "AAA design for idiots" which has plagued a lot of games these days with such things as mystical glowing trails, invisible walls etc.

Paint balls you were required to hit a "large" type of monster with for it to take effect and display their location on the minimap. But it did not display the monsters facing. This effect eventually wears off over time.

Psychoserum upon being ingested would display all "large" monster types on the map for a few seconds.

The game has evolved on its own to be pretty obvious with what you could harvest. In the early days of the series you had to pretty much memorize locations on the map as the visual cues were not as large as they were now. Well some had obvious stuff, but others like mining points were not the rocks with colored minerals sticking out of them like they are now. The series evolved a lot more with MH3 in that aspect of them making much easier to spot objects for harvesting points.

There never was anything which literally pointed out where you could harvest though. But as the player isnt blind it was fairly obvious what the harvest locations were for the most part.

As others mentioned will be nice if its something that you dont need / can be turned off.

If you'd been paying any actual attention to the footage you'd know you're arguing a moot point since scout flies don't highlight gathering spots, they only draw attention to monster trails.

Top Bottom