• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Monster Hunter World footage

Kyoufu

I'm not really knowledgeable regarding monster hunter, I think i played one for a few hours on my brother's psp years ago, but i'm very much interested in this one.

would i be able to play it just using bow and arrow? (i prefer it to swords), if yes, i'll probably buy it day one despite not really being familiar with the series like that

Yup. You can use bow for the whole ride if you want.

spiritfox

I'm not really knowledgeable regarding monster hunter, I think i played one for a few hours on my brother's psp years ago, but i'm very much interested in this one.

would i be able to play it just using bow and arrow? (i prefer it to swords), if yes, i'll probably buy it day one despite not really being familiar with the series like that

Yes, each weapon is a full fledged weapon and you can solo the entire game with any weapon. That said, ranged weapons are slightly harder compared to melee because they need good knowledge of ammo types and weak points, plus they're restricted to armors with less defense.

Xater

You can only use one weapon at a time. If the bow is your thing you can just use that.

Haunted

It'll be tougher (bowguns and bows tend to be ideal as support weapons, not really the stuff for solo play), but yes, it's totally doable. They're full weapon classes on their own.

That said, bows and bowguns in MH Pl, control and feel pretty different from the bow mechanics you might be familiar with from mainstream third person games, so I'd say keep an open mind about all the weapon classes. :)

My guess is that you'll want to have like three main weapons to rotate for different enemy weakness

That said, if I picked twin blades, which other weapon class would compliment it?

Haunted

My guess is that you'll want to have like three main weapons to rotate for different enemy weakness

That said, if I picked twin blades, which other weapon class would compliment it?
If you want to keep it melee, going for blunt damage via the Hammer or Hunting Horn are great choices to add variety into your arsenal, imo.

Raide

Bow you say? Step this way!!

There is an initial wall you have to hop over when you start with the bow, namely learning you critical distances. Basicallly it's the distance you are from the monster that dictates how much/less damage you inflict. Older games had a screen effect that notified you, so expect something similar in World. Within a short time, you will learn the distances and things slot into place.

Now this is a guess based upon previous games, but World should carry on the same.

The second area is that bows have charge levels the longer you hold the arrow back. Each stage has a damage modifier but also an attack style modifier. For example, stage 1 is normal damage and it would fire 1 arrow, stage 2 has an increased damage modifier but it fires 3 arrows out in a arc, stage 3 had another damage modifier and now the arrow pierces. As you play, you alternate what shot you take, depending on what you want. Add to that coating the arrows to do status effect etc, and the fun begins.

Any questions, just ask!

spiritfox

Hi I have a question about bows. Why is Capcom so shit at balancing bows.

Unless they changed it for MHW, you shouldn't have to.

Raide

Hi I have a question about bows. Why is Capcom so shit at balancing bows.

99% of the balancing budget gets blown on making the SwitchAxe utterly OP. Poor Bow gets ignored because they know only true pros use it and it's not worth the time and energy to balance it when SwitchAxe World gets released in 2018.

Defuser

Yes you can it play bow all the way anyway. Once you figured out how each monster behaves you can be more daring and try using other weapons.

Mr Rivuz

This might be the first mh where i play a ranged weapon, finally we'll get analogic aiming! Always hated moving the cross aim in just 8 directions even when using the nub on 3ds.

Defuser

I feel Bowgun is gonna be more OP now it has proper aiming.

You can literally down a Fatalis freaking fast with a 4 man cluster shot spamming. Or a 4 man rapid fire shot at Amatsu.

PKrockin

It'll be tougher (bowguns and bows tend to be ideal as support weapons, not really the stuff for solo play), but yes, it's totally doable. They're full weapon classes on their own.

That said, bows and bowguns in MH Pl, control and feel pretty different from the bow mechanics you might be familiar with from mainstream third person games, so I'd say keep an open mind about all the weapon classes. :)
For the record this is completely wrong. Don't nobody get the idea that ranged weapons aren't good solo.

le.phat

You can literally down a Fatalis freaking fast with a 4 man cluster shot spamming. Or a 4 man rapid fire shot at Amatsu.

Luckily, on the new systems it shouldn't be too hard to keep updating the balance, depending on the meta.

Akainu

If it's anything like every other game I don't see why they wouldn't let you play like a chump uh bow user.

Yes, each weapon is a full fledged weapon and you can solo the entire game with any weapon. That said, ranged weapons are slightly harder compared to melee because they need good knowledge of ammo types and weak points, plus they're restricted to armors with less defense.
If there was one thing I wish this series would do away with, it would be crafting separate gunner armour. I'm fine with mining and gathering and flexing after chugging a potion, but the Gunner armours just make me not want to bother with any of those weapons. I understand why their stats and skills need to be different, but it's so easily streamlined and "fixed". Just make it so the stats and skills change depending on what weapon you're holding.

As soon as I saw the hook, I knew it would be cool to play with. I wonder if you could hook friendly players out of danger? ��
Dang, I didn't think much of the hook, but that would be a rad game changer for both cooperative hunts and trolling.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

I remember the PSP days...trying to precision aim with that analog nub. How far we've come.

Mupod

I mean that's the prime example of how shitty Capcom is at balancing bows.

ah yes, the olden days of the MHF2 Akantor Bow.

I'm definitely concerned about how they will balance ranged weapons. I haven't been able to analyze the tiny video we got, but I'd imagine they are going to reduce the importance of ammo. Otherwise people would just burn their best ammo/coatings and then switch to a different bow or bowgun.

Kinsei

Banned
Do bows have actual ammo or is that just for specific arrows? Because what the heck would a bow user do if they run out of arrows during a hunt

They don't have actual ammo. They instead have limited coatings which they can apply to their arrows for various effects like increased damage, poison, paralysis, and so on.

Defuser

Bow needs a overhaul in its charge skills and arc shots. Arc shots takes too long to rain down it's projectiles. Rapid and pierce shots are the only viable charge skills while scatter sucks donkey dick. Granted my last game was MHP3rd but I assumed it's skills and uses remains the same so far in MH4/X.

Raide

Do bows have actual ammo or is that just for specific arrows? Because what the heck would a bow user do if they run out of arrows during a hunt
Infinite arrows but coatings you only have so many. Either have to take everything or the materials to craft on the go.

duysieuhero

Neo Member
no charm slot ?

G83b42o.jpg

Luckily, on the new systems it shouldn't be too hard to keep updating the balance, depending on the meta.

This didn't occur to me earlier, but holy shit is it worth talking about the possibility of Capcom nerfing things. They had better be extremely careful with what they patch, especially given that this is a pure PvE game with zero competitive elements.

The only thing scarier than the idea of having to spend hours grinding a tough monster for a low drop rate gem is the knowledge that the awesome weapon you craft with it might end up becoming poop in a week's time.

Roubjon

I'm conflicted on the idea of no charms. On one hand, it would really limit builds. On the other, fuck farming for charms.

Fuck it, get rid of them. I don't care.

Yeah, charms were a pain in the ass. They were neat in how they fleshed out my armor skills, but so frustrating at the same time.

Top Bottom