• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

27 games removed from Steam in Germany

El Topo

I think, as someone mentioned, the better question is why some games on the index were on the store in the first place.

I didn't even know Timeshift even had a PC port. I might actually buy it on sale one of these days so I can actually finish the damn thing, I had a 360 copy but, well, I don't play shooters on consoles if I can help it, with the occasional exception such as Splatoon.

It's worth noting that the ban on those symbols usually doesn't extend to art, but in terms of video games specifically the USK reiterated around the time of Wolfenstein: The New Order's release that the interactive nature of video games possibly enables harmful use of those symbols that is outside of the author's intention, a concern that I don't think applies to the new Wolfenstein at all but is somewhat justified for Hearts of Iron, considering you can use those games to live out fantasies of the Third Reich taking over the world if you are inclined to do so. Granted, that still doesn't mean the removal of those symbols should apply to all regions, but it's one of the few instances where I can actually understand the aforementioned concerns of the USK.

Also, it's a PC game so mods will fix it.

Mods that will get removed from the steam workshop yeah. What's absurd about the ban is that they don't stop people from reliving their 3rd Reich power fantasies, you play as Fascist Germany in 1939, led by Hitler, Goering and the lot of them, and the only difference is the most prominent Nazis have their portraits darkened so they look like they're standing in shadows and there's no Swastikas. You still crush Poland without mercy and invade the USSR, but that's ok without the Swastika. It's an utterly puerile sort of rule.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Mods that will get removed from the steam workshop yeah. What's absurd about the ban is that they don't stop people from reliving their 3rd Reich power fantasies, you play as Fascist Germany in 1939, led by Hitler, Goering and the lot of them, and the only difference is the most prominent Nazis have their portraits darkened so they look like they're standing in shadows and there's no Swastikas. You still crush Poland without mercy and invade the USSR, but that's ok without the Swastika. It's an utterly puerile sort of rule.
In the historical context those rules were introduced in they make sense, I just wish they revised their stance on video games as, like I said, it doesn't really extend to art and it's common to see Swastikas and the like in films. Wish a publisher with some clout would take a stance that they don't want to alter their work and that the same freedom films have should apply to games.

In the historical context those rules were introduced in they make sense, I just wish they revised their stance on video games as, like I said, it doesn't really extend to art and it's common to see Swastikas and the like in films. Wish a publisher with some clout would take a stance that they don't want to alter their work and that the same freedom films have should apply to games.

Not even films that have a historical meaning. I mean even Switch used them in their Stromberg parody.

They should finally remove the paragraph. Nowadays it doesnt make any sense.

Sakwoff

Man... if steam would just introduce a proper age verification method, it would solve all of those problems.

Also stuff like only being able to play Wolfenstein TNO with the bad german dub because screw Bethesda and their region locks.

Will never happen though. That would actually involve not easily automated work on the side of valve.

Moonstone

Those games were indexed in the past. Panzer General for instance (downplaying war and the nazi reich).

I am no radical right winger here, but removing access to media for political reasons is dumb.

It actually makes the state look like what they are trying to protect its citizens from.

Kinyou

It's worth noting that the ban on those symbols usually doesn't extend to art, but in terms of video games specifically the USK reiterated around the time of Wolfenstein: The New Order's release that the interactive nature of video games possibly enables harmful use of those symbols that is outside of the author's intention, a concern that I don't think applies to the new Wolfenstein at all but is somewhat justified for Hearts of Iron, considering you can use those games to live out fantasies of the Third Reich taking over the world if you are inclined to do so. Granted, that still doesn't mean the removal of those symbols should apply to all regions, but it's one of the few instances where I can actually understand the aforementioned concerns of the USK.

Also, it's a PC game so mods will fix it.
I find their argumentation still a bit strange. I bet I could recut some war movies to make them look like Nazi propaganda. Wouldn't that also qualify as harmful use of those symbols outside of the author's intention?

Harlequin

Ah, gotta love our German censorship. None of the games included on that list interest me but I still hate how unfairly games are treated by our rating system (and I'm not a fan of censorship in general, even when the intentions behind it are good - intentions almost always are).

I find their argumentation still a bit strange. I bet I could recut some war movies to make them look like Nazi propaganda. Wouldn't that also qualify as harmful use of those symbols outside of the author's intention?

Wouldn't you be prohibited from doing so under copyright law, though (unless you mean old war footage that's in the public domain)? Not saying the USK's reasoning isn't bullshit, it certainly is, I'm just not sure whether your example makes a whole lot of sense.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
That's the exact thought I had when I read that at first! I didn't mean to defend their reasoning as, like I said, I don't think it applies to the game they used it for, just that I see it being somewhat applicable to Hearts of Iron. For the film example, however, I'd say you could probably make the case that consumption of something differs from taking its assets to create derivative work. "Consuming" a film means watching it, not ripping out its frames/scenes to create your own film (or Nazi progaganda film for our specific example.) However, "consuming" a game means playing it, and playing as the Third Reich is well within the possibility of Hearts of Iron without having to do any modifications.

If I was their spokesperson that's the reasoning I'd use, anyway, lol. I find the ban rather silly myself and it has put me off playing the new Wolfenstein (since Bethesda was cheeky enough to IP lock the PC versions to the censored release if you're using a German IP so you can't even use the old trick of buying a Steam key for a Non-German version.)

TheMoon

All of these games are not allowed to be sold in stores in Germany by our youth protection system due to excessive violence against humans.

Dark Forces (and others from this list) will be 'unbanned' if it gets another audit just like the old Doom or Quake games.

If only publishers gave a shit and let them get rechecked as well. But of course thanks to the USK's idiotic setup, this costs a shit-ton of money. So to complete the hattrick: what a pile of shit.

TheMoon

Isn't the rating process expensive though? I guess it wouldn't make economic sense to get them retested :/

Yes, Germany's rating process is one of (if not the) most expensive ones. You even have to get trailers and demos rated separately from the game, which costs a couple hundred Euros. Depending on the size of your game, it can cost over a thousand Euros to get your game rated. This is why so many indies kept dancing around EU releases and sometimes straight up excluded Germany from their eventual EU release. The IARC initiative was subsequently created for this, allowing smaller devs to get their titles rated almost instantly, for free and for multiple regions and ratings boards at the same time (one submission can cover your ESRB, PEGI, USK, ACB rating). As of now, only Nintendo has been through the process of enabling this system for their platform from the three major platform holders. Sony and I think MS are listed as supporters but they're apparently still not through the process or whatever the hold-up is there.

LewieP

So presumably it would be within the law for physical retailers to sell Steam keys for these games? Seems like that would be a workaround.

Kinyou

Wouldn't you be prohibited from doing so under copyright law, though (unless you mean old war footage that's in the public domain)? Not saying the USK's reasoning isn't bullshit, it certainly is, I'm just not sure whether your example makes a whole lot of sense.
True, would probably get in trouble with copyright, at least if you intend to spread it.

That's the exact thought I had when I read that at first! I didn't mean to defend their reasoning as, like I said, I don't think it applies to the game they used it for, just that I see it being somewhat applicable to Hearts of Iron. For the film example, however, I'd say you could probably make the case that consumption of something differs from taking its assets to create derivative work. "Consuming" a film means watching it, not ripping out its frames/scenes to create your own film (or Nazi progaganda film for our specific example.) However, "consuming" a game means playing it, and playing as the Third Reich is well within the possibility of Hearts of Iron without having to do any modifications.

If I was their spokesperson that's the reasoning I'd use, anyway, lol. I find the ban rather silly myself and it has put me off playing the new Wolfenstein (since Bethesda was cheeky enough to IP lock the PC versions to the censored release if you're using a German IP so you can't even use the old trick of buying a Steam key for a Non-German version.)
Yeah, the interactive nature seems to be the crux. When I think about it, violence in games is also treated more severely in games than in movies. Or at least can I not remember a "killerspiele" debate happening with movies.

Oh and with the New Order I'm still not sure why Bethesda went the extra step of even removing Nazis entirely, referring to them merely as the "regime" in the German localisation. Additionally they also removed more specific Nazi rhetoric. I don't even really care about the symbols, but when they change the game's story so significantly it's kind of upsetting.

derExperte

GOG is doing the same, 31 games are affected.

http://www.gamestar.de/news/vermischtes/3274795/gogcom_jetzt_auch_mit_geo_lock.html

Aliens versus Predator Classic
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
Blood: One Unit Whole Blood
Blood 2: The Chosen + Expansion
BloodRayne
BloodRayne 2
Cannon Fodder
Carmageddon Max Pack
Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now
The Chaos Engine
Far Cry
Harvester