• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2d can't die! is its resurrection near?

Gattsu25

Banned
i think the problem here is that BoE started the thread off talking about single plane games, but the title definately did refer to 2D gaming, which is basically sprite-based games

with that confusion out of the way, i'm partially with Ferrio on this one....i've yet to see a game with 3D characters match the gameplay of a 2D game perfectly...i don't see it happening any time in the near future either

now, 3D games with 2D gameplay still exist, but are rare and often underperform (imo) to their 2D counter-parts in the same genre...but that's mainly the developers' and not the technology used to display the game :b

for 2D games to survive (that's games with sprites and 2D backgrounds) there needs to be a mix of the 2 styles of 2D there is now. You have games like Metal Slug wich have kick ass animation, and games like Guilty Gear wich have high-res artwork...but NEVER a good balance between the two. Games need display high quality sprites with fluid animation to be taken serious by the more non-jackass gamers (the average--err...jackass gamer will never take them serious). This, however, is something i don't see happeneing either...at least for a while.

Hell...i'd KILL to see a Castlevania game with high res, fluidly animated sprites. Could be in the classic style or the SotN* style...just make it happen!!

*hate the term Metroidvania...especially since I liked SotN more than any specific Metroid game :b

Top Bottom