• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 new Resident Evil VII: Not A Hero Screenshots (Another Melee Finisher Returns)

Yeah, reading around it looks like End of Zoe will be the real RE7 follow-up while this is more like throwing a bone at those RE6-loving weirdos. Odd decision though to market this as the "true ending" if so although I imagine that was set in stone before the switch to more action happened.
Honestly, the hate for RE6 and its fans is just laughable at this point.

dlauv

when you buy the Albert-01 airsoft gun, it comes with Resident Evil lore information. Apparently, this version of Umbrella was resurrected so they can atone for all the bad things that have happened. It was resurrected by the government to essentially make amends by cleaning up after themselves. The Blue logo Umbrella are the good guys and the other colored ones are the bad dudes.

This is worse than any of us could have imagined. I think I prefer all of the fan theories.

It reminds me of when we all thought the demo was smarter than it was.

Gasian

Honestly, the hate for RE6 and its fans is just laughable at this point.

Yeah. It sucks that Classic fans have to take shots at ppl who like the Action games.And the same goes for some Action fans who do the same ;). I like them both and prefer the more classic stuff but am not caught up in this "What is REAL RE?",nonsense. They are all Resident Evil. RE has been different things for a long time and Capcom likes to change it up. I judge them based off if I am having fun with them or not. If I like them as a GAME or not. Like every fan of something should be, IMO.
Yes I am talking to you too fellow FF fans as well. You guys scare me sometimes.

Enlil

I have the feeling, the reason this was postponed is they want it to turn into a more action game, to get that extra cash they lost compared to ] 4,5 and 6.

JayEH

when you buy the Albert-01 airsoft gun, it comes with Resident Evil lore information. Apparently, this version of Umbrella was resurrected so they can atone for all the bad things that have happened. It was resurrected by the government to essentially make amends by cleaning up after themselves. The Blue logo Umbrella are the good guys and the other colored ones are the bad dudes.

That's dumb. So it was just for shock value.

kodecraft

Man, classic RE fans come off so insecure when attacking those that love the action RE games. RE6 was awesome, especially once you understood the mechanics.

Capcom gave us so much content with RE6.

Re7 is my GOTY so far. Better than the PT demo ever could be. I want note of it.

I don't get the complaints about Not A Hero being about action. Chris is military, what y'all expect?

Ethan was just a regular dude so those complaining about the gunplay in the vanilla game doesn't make sense.

Both Not A Hero and End Of Zoe both represent RE7. I bet Not A Hero will be challenging for those posters thinking it's just mindless dumb action.

Both DLC's are story related, so we will get some info on what happened to certain characters. I'm excited to dive back in. RE7 is the most fun I've had with a RE since 4 and 6.

Hopefully RE8 is more of RE7 that's what the RE Engine was built for right? I don't want to see the RE Engine in third person.

Would be nice if one of the DLC's sets up RE8.

trejo

They are?

Sure are, if the looks of this DLC are anything to go by.

And just for the record, I have nothing against action RE in any way since I've played and liked nearly every single RE game to varying degrees. RE4 is a masterpiece and one of my top 5 games of all time. RE5 is heaps of fun if (and only if) played in co-op and both Revelations games have good stuff going for them, Rev2 much more so. RE6, however, is a total mess of disparate ideas that never quite mesh well with terribly designed and bloated to hell campaigns and nothing anyone says will ever convince me otherwise.

What's funny is that he mentions the stomp, which has been in the series since RE1.

There is a difference, though, wouldn't you agree? In the first game it came across as more of a jump scare for when you thought you were merely walking by a nonthreatening corpse lying on the floor or as a tool to teach you to look for the blood pooling under the enemy to confirm the kill as opposed to a sweet finisher move you activate to show off what a badass Chris is at wrecking some fools.

Same mechanic, different connotation.

What's funny is that he mentions the stomp, which has been in the series since RE1.
Yeah, I don't get why horror fans try so much to say that classic RE didn't have any action in it. If you want zero action and wanna play a pure horror game, then RE series never was for you.
Yeah. It sucks that Classic fans have to take shots at ppl who like the Action games.And the same goes for some Action fans who do the same ;). I like them both and prefer the more classic stuff but am not caught up in this "What is REAL RE?",nonsense. They are all Resident Evil. RE has been different things for a long time and Capcom likes to change it up. I judge them based off if I am having fun with them or not. If I like them as a GAME or not. Like every fan of something should be, IMO.
Yes I am talking to you too fellow FF fans as well. You guys scare me sometimes.
I agree.
Even more so with the spoiler since as a XV fan, FF fanbase is so intimidating lol
They are?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

A more action based FPS RE7, isn't the kind of action game that action RE fans fell in love with. If I wanted an action based FPS, I would've bought one of the many shooters that are available in the market today or will soon be released. (like how I'm buying Wolfenstein II)

As long as Chris isn't punching boulders again and they keep the atmosphere / horror, then I'm fine with a bit more action. Chris is a soldier after all, so it makes sense. If they don't go full action again forgetting the horror, like 6 did, then it should be fine, which looks like it will be the case, thankfully.

dlauv

I have the feeling, the reason this was postponed is they want it to turn into a more action game, to get that extra cash they lost compared to ] 4,5 and 6.

It was planned to be more action packed in the first place. Like many have stated, it was outsourced. Capcom was unhappy with it and have been working on it since then.

I don't think "Action RE" by itself sells anything much, if Rev and Rev 2 are to be looked at. I don't think the general millions of potential purchasers are keen to differences in combat between Rev and 5/6. It needs AAA production values and multiplayer and less subtitling.

rtcn63

The issue with RE6 is that even a portion of the fans of RE4 and 5 didn't care for it. (I.e. myself) The campaign is overly long and repetitive, the encounters cheap at times (hopping zombies and that ambulance kill gets EVERYONE), and with most of the mechanical and balance changes taking a "one step forward, two steps back" approach. To be generous.

The melee in RE6 is mostly good. The game that it found itself in is not.

Also I think that RE7 ripped its ending from
Petey Piranha Strikes Back.
But don't quote me on it.

Keinning

If I wanted an action based FPS, I would've bought one of the many shooters that are available in the market today or will soon be released.

And if i wanted a wacky zombie action game with a stupid excuse for a plot i would have bought Dead Rising

Your point?

The series always had action in their core since the inception (it's what differentiated it from other horror games like Silent Hill) but i find it funny how RE6 fans feel so "betrayed" by capcom because one single game is not in line with their taste in decades. Ignore the fact that RE after 3 (including most spinoffs) was more focused on the action than the horror, RE7 strays a bit from the formula and then it's not RE anymore and everyone who likes it is not a RE fan and poor RE6 is unfairly bashed.

Chill out. You'll get an action oriented DLC and probably RE8 will be full out action as well (capcom will surely be looking at RE6/RE7 sales to figure out what future they want for the series and most important their wallets). Let the people who enjoyed something different enjoy it for once

kc44135

This looks awesome! I love how they aren't even trying to be subtle about what they're doing with this DLC. This is one for the Action RE (A.K.A best RE) fans. Melee is back! Can't wait! :D

Orb

Playing as Chris isnt as fun when you cant see his face :/

Ethan was nothing so I didnt mind first person with him, but I like Chris too much for this to be as good as it could be. Oh well, this and End of Zoe will hopefully be amazing despite that.

I guess it's time for folks like myself to get rid of the idea that this isn't Chris. I'm not sure why they wanted to use a new actor for Chris, but I'm aware that they do change the voice actor/actress for characters occasionally.

Jawmuncher

It was planned to be more action packed in the first place. Like many you have stated, it was outsourced. Capcom was unhappy with it and have been working on it since then.

I don't think "Action RE" by itself sells anything much, if Rev and Rev 2 are to be looked at. I don't think the general millions of potential purchasers are keen to differences in combat between Rev and 5/6. It needs AAA production values and multiplayer and less subtitling.

I'd say it's more budget than anything. It's harder to do good action on a cheaper budget and both Rev 1 and 2 show that. Since said action is drastically toned down because of it. Well that and they tried to sell them as being "return to roots" and what not before finally actually doing just that with RE7

dlauv

They tried saying Leon's campaign in 6 was a return to roots, lol.

But outside of marketing they try to sell the roots in nearly every game: "This is just like ____ all over again...."

eXistor

This DLC is just a precursor to the future of RE. RE8 sure as hell isn't gonna be like 7 or the old ones. It might be first person, but it's gonna go back to being more action-based, like RE4 and the ones after. It's just a little taste of what the future of RE is gonna be like. Don't particularly care for action RE myself, but hey if it's what the masses want, it's what they'll get. It's always been that way: follow the money.

trejo

This looks awesome! I love how they aren't even trying to be subtle about what they're doing with this DLC. This is one for the Action RE (A.K.A best RE) fans. Melee is back! Can't wait! :D

Going by your metric your avatar would indicate that you're not one of the "best" fans. :(

DVCY201

I still don't get this. I understand it, but I don't get it. It just sounds dumb, even by RE standards and was thrown in as shock value then for RE7. That's just cheap in my opinion.

rtcn63

I still don't get this. I understand it, but I don't get it. It just sounds dumb, even by RE standards and was thrown in as shock value then for RE7. That's just cheap in my opinion.

Apparently it's a continuation of Umbrella Corps' lore addition, which four people played.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This DLC is just a precursor to the future of RE. RE8 sure as hell isn't gonna be like 7 or the old ones. It might be first person, but it's gonna go back to being more action-based, like RE4 and the ones after. It's just a little taste of what the future of RE is gonna be like. Don't particularly care for action RE myself, but hey if it's what the masses want, it's what they'll get. It's always been that way: follow the money.
Lol good luck with that.

trejo

Yeah, it's like if the US government resurrected and ran Enron as a charity practice, lol. But to be fair, out of all the dumb things that have happened in the RE universe that one comes across as one of the most plausible ones, all things considered.

dlauv

Considering it was outsourced and free to download, probably not. They hired the PT designer to make the paid DLC coming up, which is horror based.

Not A Hero is likely a natural escalation from the latter third of RE7, which was very action-based. I don't see the series going full RE4+ just yet with first-person. RE2 was a lot more action packed than RE1, so I'm expecting that kind of a leap.

Plans may change depending on the reception of either DLC.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I double dipped on RE7. I'm glad they delayed it to focus on quality. Those screenshots have a nice warmth to them. I'm excited

From what I've read on NeoGAF, RE and FF fans are fucking insufferable and all the threads end up the same way.

I'll probably pick up the Gold edition sometime later when it's cheap. I'm not really interested in a mercs-ish mode considering the combat wasn't really made for it, but you never know.

trejo

From what I've read on NeoGAF, RE and FF fans are fucking insufferable and all the threads end up the same way.

I'll probably pick up the Gold edition sometime later when it's cheap. I'm not really interested in a mercs-ish mode considering the combat wasn't really made for it, but you never know.

You could say the same thing about pretty much every other long running franchise that features a radically different design ethos across entries so it should come off as little surprise that opinions will vary.

But hey at least we're not Sonic fans, amirite.
:p

You could say the same thing about pretty much every other long running franchise that features a radically different design ethos across entries so it should come off as little surprise that opinions will vary.

But hey at least we're not Sonic fans, amirite.
:p

I just happen to enjoy FF/RE so those are the threads I usually view from time to time. I'm pretty sure I've been one of those people, especially in regards to RE7, but eh, I'll just buy whatever I want and if I wanna get mad, I'll read the comments in these threads.

I'm aware that this applies to everything lol

I kinda wanna try Sonic Mania because I love Denuvo
/s

kc44135

Going by your metric your avatar would indicate that you're not one of the "best" fans. :(
Sorry, I could see how my comment could be misinterpreted. I wasn't saying anything about fans, I was saying that Action RE is the best RE! The "best" fans are those who enjoy the aspects of the series that they like, and don't belittle or criticize other RE fans who don't feel the same, IMO. All RE fans are awesome in my eyes as long they're cool with whatever anybody else might like.

As for me, I love everything. Action RE is my fav (with RE4 being my personal favorite game ever), but I love Classic RE as well (hence me having a REmake avatar), and I even think RE7 is pretty cool too! :)

I really hope they have tuned up close encounters to not feel so sloppy. The base game could also use tuning to the melee system.

What's disconcerting about the media is the thought of fighting even more of the molded. They should have been one of a dozen plus enemy types yet all we got was variations of one: regular molded, fat molded, big arm molded, crawling molded, puking and large molded. So fucking boring.

It's simple. You are in the bayou. Mutated giant snakes, spiders, crows, frogs, etc. These have been staple enemies in the series when they took place in a god damned police station yet all we can get from RE7 is molded humans.

But wait, now we get molded with green spores spewing out, hurray! *Yawn*

Hope there's more to this than a simple molded shooting gallery afterthought.

Blueblur1

I want more RE4/RE5/Mercs3D style Resident Evil. Tank controls and melee attacks triggered by staggering enemies. None of that RE6 nonsense.

Riposte

RE7 wasn't really good as a FPS, so I wonder how this will turn out.

It especially odd when this month we're seeing chris in the RE5 design.
ItF3U4x.jpg
This kind of looks like Chris performed a fusion dance with Nathan Drake.

And if i wanted a wacky zombie action game with a stupid excuse for a plot i would have bought Dead Rising

Your point?

The series always had action in their core since the inception (it's what differentiated it from other horror games like Silent Hill) but i find it funny how RE6 fans feel so "betrayed" by capcom because one single game is not in line with their taste in decades. Ignore the fact that RE after 3 (including most spinoffs) was more focused on the action than the horror, RE7 strays a bit from the formula and then it's not RE anymore and everyone who likes it is not a RE fan and poor RE6 is unfairly bashed.

Chill out. You'll get an action oriented DLC and probably RE8 will be full out action as well (capcom will surely be looking at RE6/RE7 sales to figure out what future they want for the series and most important their wallets). Let the people who enjoyed something different enjoy it for once
The point that you clearly missed, was that adding a bit of action to RE7 doesn't mean that action RE fans "are still being well catered", since the action portion of RE7 plays nothing like RE4-6. And it's very typical of most horror fans to try and silence action fans of the series, without actually understanding what they want, just like how it's happening in this thread with the "take this action DLC and don't whine anymore" attitude.

Also no, RE6 fans are not feeling betrayed. On the contrary, it seems like horror fans can't get through a single RE thread without bashing and hating on action RE, which results in RE4-6 fans defending the games that they like.

When it comes to RE7, I'm not its biggest fan but I did enjoy the game enough to be okay with the future mainline entries continuing in this style. What I (and many other action RE fans) want, is to have a TPS action based sub-series alongside it, so we can enjoy that style of gameplay as well. But many horror purists see this as an absolute heresy that shouldn't even be thought about, which makes most of the RE threads unbearable.

trejo

The point that you clearly missed, was that adding a bit of action to RE7 doesn't mean that action RE fans "are still being well catered", since the action portion of RE7 plays nothing like RE4-6. And it's very typical of most horror fans to try and silence action fans of the series, without actually understanding what they want, just like how it's happening in this thread with the "take this action DLC and don't whine anymore" attitude.

Also no, RE6 fans are not feeling betrayed. On the contrary, it seems like horror fans can't get through a single RE thread without bashing and hating on action RE, which results in RE4-6 fans defending the games that they like.

When it comes to RE7, I'm not its biggest fan but I did enjoy the game enough to be okay with the future mainline entries continuing in this style. What I (and many other action RE fans) want, is to have a TPS action based sub-series alongside it, so we can enjoy that style of gameplay as well. But many horror purists see this as an absolute heresy that shouldn't even be thought about, which makes most of the RE threads unbearable.
You seem to be falling into the usual trapping I've seen elsewhere of assuming that anyone who doesn't like RE6 must clearly not like ANY of the other action outings in the franchise which is just as reductive and separating a stance to take. It is perfectly possible to enjoy action RE while still thinking that 6, as an entry, was garbage.

Ushay

Damn, this looks amazing. Was this DLC ever a sort of a larger edition? Or is this just a standalone thing?

Hope it goes on sale around Nov so I can check this out finally.

Top Bottom