• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 new Resident Evil VII: Not A Hero Screenshots (Another Melee Finisher Returns)

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Let me just say that Re7 Chris face is not as memorable as re5 or re6 Chris, but at least its not RE: code veronica Chris...

Hell, design wise,evn REmake Chris is not that memorable when compared to macho Chris

Renekton

Really hope they played some doom before designing this. It has potential but the gun play in 7 was very...weak. Can't wait for some more action RE.
Doom is quite overrated in this regard, with average / below average responsiveness.

I said the same thing months ago about the future of first person RE and "fanboys" (who apparently failed to turn up for their precious RE7 which had disappointing sales) told me to shut up. Looks like we know who Capcom really listens to these days tho. So it must suck to be them.

You trolling?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Man wtf happened to Chris? He looks like some generic white guy
He kinda always did?

Im only talking Chris, the environment looks infinitely better than 6.
Even on a technical level Chris in the new game is much better graphically on an objective scale. Again, last gen generally can't hold a candle to PBR:
resident_evil_7_chris_redfield_dlc_shot_3.jpg

they couldn't even render stubble in RE6 let alone accurate shaders for skin and eyes.
Resident-evil-6-Chris-resident-evil-30576863-1280-720.jpg

Jawmuncher

UC: "The BOWs are called the Molded."

Chris: "Wut don't care."

UC: "Molded? I meant to say the uh... boulder- Boulded."

Chris: "Prep the chopper."

This is good.

Let me just say that Re7 Chris face is not as memorable as re5 or re6 Chris, but at least its not RE: code veronica Chris...

Hell, design wise,evn REmake Chris is not that memorable when compared to macho Chris

I know some people really hate his RE5/6 design. But I do agree it's easily the most "stand-out" design he had in the series and the first time he really cemented into being up there with the other characters in the series design wise.

trejo

Even on a technical level Chris in the new game is much better graphically on an objective scale. Again, last gen generally can't hold a candle to PBR:
resident_evil_7_chris_redfield_dlc_shot_3.jpg

they couldn't even render stubble in RE6 let alone accurate shaders for skin and eyes.
Resident-evil-6-Chris-resident-evil-30576863-1280-720.jpg
Good thing that there's more to character design than tech and shaders then, huh?

kikiribu

So just because they scanned a guy's face means they couldn't change the color of his hair in-game? Chris isn't a blonde guy. If anything, they could have been more realistic and given him a combination of his usual dark hair combined with white hair, maybe even a receding hairline lmao. Would it have killed them to make his hair color like it always has been? That's not Chris to me. He looks really, really lame now. It's funny, I thought his RE6 look already looked a little bit weird because of the hair change, but this? It's like he gets worse and worse.

You seem to be falling into the usual trapping I've seen elsewhere of assuming that anyone who doesn't like RE6 must clearly not like ANY of the other action outings in the franchise which is just as reductive and separating a stance to take. It is perfectly possible to enjoy action RE while still thinking that 6, as an entry, was garbage.
It's hard to distinguish people that don't like RE6 from general action RE haters, when most horror fans lose their shit the moment they see "action" and "Resident Evil" in the same paragraph.

If you shave the beard off the RE5 model and shorten the hair it actually resembles REmake Chris a lot. The stubble and messy hair hide it.

Yeah, they're actually pretty close. At least within the realm of "I believe this is supposed to be the same character".

maxresdefault.jpg

RE 7 Chris?

maxresdefault.jpg

Like, that ain't even close.

Did they ever explain why Jill became blonde in RE5 too? All I've seen is theories.

She was mind controlled at the time and she's a brunette in flashbacks, so... Wesker likes blondes?

DVCY201

Did they ever explain why Jill became blonde in RE5 too? All I've seen is theories.

It's been a while, but it was referenced. It had to do with that mind-control device and the tube she was stored in I think. But the real answer is Capcom wanted her blonde, for whatever reason

trejo

It's hard to distinguish people that don't like RE6 from general action RE haters, when most horror fans lose their shit the moment they see "action" and "Resident Evil" in the same paragraph.
It is quite easy to get impassioned in your opinions if you feel like your preference is getting unduly attacked. I've been there myself, after all.

If you shave the beard off the RE5 model and shorten the hair it actually resembles REmake Chris a lot. The stubble and messy hair hide it.
Not to mention the bulging sacks of muscle strewn everywhere, of course.

Jill only turned blonde upstairs though. Downstairs was unchanged.

8MWbw.gif

How do you know that?

Edit:

It says so in the game, no lies.

Well I'll be:

Test Subject

Caucasion female

Eye color: blue

Subject has already been in a medically induced stasis for an extended period. All vital signs including heart rate, respiration, blood pressure, and temperature are within normal values. A pigmentation abnormality has been observed. Effect of abnormality is limited to cranial hair follicles. In addition, slight skin whitening (etiolation) has been observed.

trejo

We're talking about graphics specifically.
We're not though? We were clearly talking about the differences in all the iterations of Chris's character designs over the years. Or could you point me to where exactly it was stated to be strictly about the tech involved as if nothing else mattered?

Akronis

We're not though? We were clearly talking about the differences in all the iterations of Chris's character designs over the years. Or could you point me to where exactly it was stated to be strictly about the tech involved as if nothing else mattered?

Its because of the new technique they used for the graphics.
Honestly I think it looks graphically worse than 6's

graphically worse than 6's

lol

that's the post I responded to that apparently got everyone super upset. I thought RE5/RE6 Chris was great btw. Not a fan of generic RE7 Chris, but saying RE6 looked better graphically is fucking lunacy.

trejo

I guess I stand corrected then, lol. Though to be fair that's talking about RE6 vs RE7 in general, not Chris's designs, specifically. Of course 7 is gonna look graphically superior.

ZenTzen

They should have tweaked his RE7 face to at least look like RE5/6 chris,
if thats really chris

I wondr if REmake 2 is getting the same treatment and making Leon/Claire/Ada/Sherry completely unrecognizable

Crossing Eden

Holy shit I just noticed the resolution on these shots
giphy.gif

Me and that guy were. Read the post a couple posts above this one.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I wondr if REmake 2 is getting the same treatment and making Leon/Claire/Ada/Sherry completely unrecognizable

RE7 is different. All the models are directly scanned from real life actors, and they went with one agency. And this guy was the closest to Chris in that one agency. There's no plot twist or conspiracy here. Hell our own GAF insiders have said over and over that this IS Chris.

Plus they totally touched his face up from what we've seen from Not A Hero. He looks great.

but it's actually the same tone as during Lost in Nightmares.
Yeah they made pale Jill first but didn't adjust it when they created the flashback and BSAA Jill's model.

Jill was originally going to wear that flashback outfit once rescued(before a lot of stuff started getting moved around)
so I can see why it wasn't corrected.

RE7 Chris just looks nothing like his previous designs. It's like as if he is a completely different character
come on Hunk! Save us!

I actually don't like RE6 Chris that much either. It might be the flat hair, but he looks kinda off. My favorite Chris design is his RE5 one. Hulk Chris is the best Chris. Though at the end of the day, Chris has nothing on Dante RE6 Leon.

Man, could you imagine the backlash if they scan real life models for characters in REmake 2 and they look nothing like Leon, Claire and Ada...

Crossing Eden

RE7 Chris just looks nothing like his previous designs. It's like as if he is a completely different character
come on Hunk! Save us!

I actually don't like RE6 Chris that much either. It might be the flat hair, but he looks kinda off. My favorite Chris design is his RE5 one. Hulk Chris is the best Chris. Though at the end of the day, Chris has nothing on Dante RE6 Leon.

Man, could you imagine the backlash if they scan real life models for characters in REmake 2 and they look nothing like Leon, Claire and Ada...
Ada scan is a no brainer.
585b77eb72c9878a3b8f176f1d9834fc.jpg

That wig was like $2500 iirc.

I actually really like RE7 Chris. RE5 and 6 Chris are really off to me. Even before 7. Then again I love RE7 so....

I have a soft spot for RE6 since it technically was my first Resident Evil game (and my first delve into anything horror based) but I have played the rest of them except for CV so I've seen that I enjoy the games with more emphasis on horror than action.

But I still love them all.

Except for UC.

Gin-Shiio

What irks me isn't even the change in Chris' model per se, but them choosing a young face for a dude that should be in his late 40s by now. I want to look like that in my late 40s!

BigEmil

Yeah previous Chris was more distinct and you can more easily tell apart from other character that that's Chris.

But the new Chris RE7 model just so.... Generic. First thing that comes to mind

Being honest, RE7 Chris seems more like an evolution of the original Re/REmake design, rather than the redesign that most folks know. Like, if RE and REmake were the only games in the series prior to 7 and then they said "this is Chris in RE7" I'd fully buy it.

The only reason the disconnect is there for me is because I've become fully used to redesigned Chris from later RE games.

Top Bottom