• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 new Resident Evil VII: Not A Hero Screenshots (Another Melee Finisher Returns)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Chris redesign is trash. Why is he blonde and with a different face too?
Because it's a facial scan like every other character in the game. They're going for photorealism for RE graphics going forward so all assets are based on real life scans/reference. Wonder how RE2 Leon is gonna look in RE2...make.

Yeah, it's like if the US government resurrected and ran Enron as a charity practice, lol. But to be fair, out of all the dumb things that have happened in the RE universe that one comes across as one of the most plausible ones, all things considered.
Which is worse: Resurrecting Umbrella or reopening Jurassic Park?

KDC720

My only worry is that I'm not sure the base movement and shooting mechanics of RE7 will transition well to a more action focused DLC, although the auto shotgun and stagger melees might alleviate that a bit.

Also the mold monsters are rather bland and fairly uninteresting to fight, they worked in the earlier sections of the base game but by the time you got to the end and were gunning them down with ease in the mines they felt more like fodder. So I hope they introduce a couple interesting new enemies or something.

Akronis

Its because of the new technique they used for the graphics.
Honestly I think it looks graphically worse than 6's
eFdLdCi.jpg

nah get your eyes checked. RE7 CR looks 1000x better than RE6 CR

EDIT: I'm talking on a technical level, idc what you people think of the redesign lol

Jawmuncher

giphyululu.gif

---

I can see why people prefer RE7 Chris. But it sure as hell ain't "1000x" better.
Not like it matters though. As Crossing Eden said above RE engine is something else so every RE character at least in this engine is going to be having face models. So Ada, Leon, Claire and the like are gonna get some interesting face changes as well more than likely. Though I could see them at least trying to aim a bit more to someone similar. Going by what Dusk Golem said. RE7 Chris face model was literally "We might as well use this guy" and then they realized his likeness wasn't as close as they had originally thought.

Not a big deal though since RE5-6 Chris and RE7 Chris are both being used going forward depending on the engine and artstyle said RE game will use in the future.

---

I can see why people prefer RE7 Chris. But it sure as hell ain't "1000x" better.
Not like it matters though. As Crossing Eden said above RE engine is something else so every RE character at least in this engine is going to be having face models. So Ada, Leon, Claire and the like are gonna get some interesting face changes as well more than likely. Though I could see them at least trying to aim a bit more to someone similar. Going by what Dusk Golem said. RE7 Chris face model was literally "We might as well use this guy" and then they realized his likeness wasn't as close as they had originally thought.

Not a big deal though since RE5-6 Chris and RE7 Chris are both being used going forward depending on the engine and artstyle said RE game will use in the future.

I really hope they cast better going forward, they better freaking cast Julia Voth as Jill again.

Crossing Eden

Nope,
7's just looks weird in general. Also like its from LA Noir or something.
I mean on a technical level he's incredibly on point:
C7PTQ-rXgAAnuOi.jpg
landscape-1493120440-not-a-hero2.JPG

Especially those eye shaders.

Although tbh how old is Chris at this point? Doesn't seem to actually be physically.

RE2make Leon and Claire are gonna be interesting since they no longer do the porcelain doll skin shading that also doesn't have wrinkles thing:
48f170e2c1d4a8047c56fcfff427a57c.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Neff

I just wanna high five my fellow classic and modern RE fans right here.

You could say the same thing about pretty much every other long running franchise that features a radically different design ethos across entries so it should come off as little surprise that opinions will vary.

I was literally about to make a post going into exactly this but you describe it more succinctly and efficiently than I would.

kc44135

No.

So, anybody want to do a list of their favorite Chris's (since there's so many, lol)? For me, it goes something like this...

1. RE6 Chris: Similar to hulk Chris, but a just bit more toned down and realistic. My fav.

2. RE5 Hulk Chris. Such a badass, if unrealistic, design. Also, he punched a boulder, which is awesome.

3. REmake Chris: Such a classic design, and easily my fav before he roided up. Love the classic S.T.A.R.S outfit as well.

4. RE5 S.T.A.R.S Chris: Eh, this one is alright. He's supposed to be similar to REmake Chris, but doesn't quite get there, and isn't as badass as the RE5/6 designs. Not bad, tho.

5. CVX Chris: Meh. He looks a lot like REmake Chris which is cool, but his model doesn't have anywhere near the same level of detail as the REmake version, and is just kinda ugly (as is CVX in general; it hasn't aged well really).

6. Vendetta Chris: I hated this design at first, but it grew on me somewhat after watching the movie. Still not a huge fan, tho. I think it's the hairstyle I dislike the most.

7. RE1 Chris: This an ugly, crude mess of Polygons. It definitely ain't pretty, although it has a certain charm to it. Also, anything is better than...

8. RE7 Chris: Ewww. Hulk Chris, where art thou? :(

Jawmuncher

Oh ok. For some reason thought he was older. Hair should start greying soon tho. If anything it should've sooner because he constantly watches people die. :|

Chris is gonna be the character Capcom takes into "Old Man Logan" territory

He has full grey in the concept art actually.

Where is this concept art you keep talking about. Is it in one of the japanese guides or form the CE?
I want to see it but i've been unable to find it

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm in the weird camp that likes the classic series and action series.

I am a horror enthusiast way more than an action enthusiast, but I do like action titles with horror focus, I think action benefits from having a good atmosphere (even if not scary) and more interesting enemies to fight in the form of monsters with variety rather than just armed humans or whatever to fight against, all with some deeper survival mechanics and quirkier level design. Also I love co-op, and that's something many of the action RE's have is some fantastic co-op.

But I always get sad fans quarreler on these things. I know they have their best interests in mind with the series, but it can make discussion less fun. And personally speaking, I kind of like horror and action Resident Evil equally. I was very happy with RE7, as it was a more serious horror effort from them and the first in a while (Revelations 1 & 2 could count, but both are more action with hints of horror, though in Revelations 2's credit I played it on Hard and the survival/supply management element was definitely there). But that doesn't mean I want to see action RE go away, and frankly I want another action RE with online co-op function, I need another fix of that (be it horror or action, but until developers can figure out how to make co-op work with horror, which btw I do think is completely possible, then action is the more likely route, though I do hope they remaster the Outbreak games at some point).

As someone who likes both about evenly, I would say that action RE doesn't really betray the horror ones. I can see why some people feel that way, but really Resident Evil 4 & 5 especially are not really that far off from the elements of the originals (which did have plenty of action in them still especially as they went along). Resident Evil 6 is more different, but while it missteps I can see how it came to be from the response to Resident Evil 5 (and gaming stuff at the time). Resident Evil 7 is in many ways a return to various things they had strayed away from, but I will make my argument that while there are some big changes in RE4/RE5 to the classics they aren't actually that different in many more ways either.

No.

So, anybody want to do a list of their favorite Chris's (since there's so many, lol)? For me, it goes something like this...

1. RE6 Chris: Similar to hulk Chris, but a just bit more toned down and realistic. My fav.

2. RE5 Hulk Chris. Such a badass, if unrealistic, design. Also, he punched a boulder, which is awesome.

3. REmake Chris: Such a classic design, and easily my fav before he roided up. Love the classic S.T.A.R.S outfit as well.

4. RE5 S.T.A.R.S Chris: Eh, this one is alright. He's supposed to be similar to REmake Chris, but doesn't quite get there, and isn't as badass as the RE5/6 designs. Not bad, tho.

5. CVX Chris: Meh. He looks a lot like REmake Chris which is cool, but his model doesn't have anywhere near the same level of detail as the REmake version, and is just kinda ugly (as is CVX in general; it hasn't aged well really).

6. Vendetta Chris: I hated this design at first, but it grew on me somewhat after watching the movie. Still not a huge fan, tho. I think it's the hairstyle I dislike the most.

7. RE1 Chris: This an ugly, crude mess of Polygons. It definitely ain't pretty, although it has a certain charm to it. Also, anything is better than...

8. RE7 Chris: Ewww. Hulk Chris, where art thou? :(

1. RE6 Chris
2. RE5 S.T.A.R.S. Chris
3. Rev1 Chris
4. Vendetta Chris
5. RE5 Chris(costume hurt this a bit)
6. Darkside Chronicles edited Chris
7. REmake Chris
8. CV Chris

Kinda funny because back in the day CV Chris was my favorite.

Chris is gonna be the character Capcom takes into "Old Man Logan" territory

Where is this concept art you keep talking about. Is it in one of the japanese guides or form the CE?
I want to see it but i've been unable to find it

Oh shit really? :O Where can I see that?

Seen this posted a lot of places recently not 100% on it but does look pretty close to the Resident Evil artbooks I actually have
OHGuEtS.jpg

Jawmuncher

It might be. The Jack looks spot on to some of the Concept Art i've seen. Such as the one where the family is at dinner with a dog (Which was another scrapped concept). Really interesting to see all these cut characters and the radically different molded. Guessing they were originally going to be more zombie-like but with black blood and such around them. Probably still flopped around like they do now.

Kinda glad they didn't go with that old of a chris look yet. At 45 he's not really in that territory. It'll definitely be cool to see him once he is that old.

Yeah kinda weird considering most of the characters are on a first-name basis, jumped at me in the ending when he calls himself "Redfield"

Yeah even with it being a military op thing. He had no qualms about throwing his first name out in prior games to anyone who'd listen.

When Leon gets redesigned, fans will riot even more. Leon is the golden boy of RE (even if I prefer Chris)

All things considered. RE2make will probably make fans riot regardless.

trejo

No.

So, anybody want to do a list of their favorite Chris's (since there's so many, lol)?

Not a list but I'd rank Code Veronica Chris as the best iteration of classic Chris because he comes across like a veteran who's been through this shit before and knows how to roll with the punches. He's like "oh so not only is Wesker still alive he's got freaky glowy eyes now and can do some Matrix shit? Pfft, nothing some push-ups and weights won't fix in the future I'm sure".

As for modern Chris I'd have to give the nod to RE6 Chris, who took the most defining features from RE5 Chris while streamlining the body proportions a bit in order to not make him look just cartoonishly freaking big.

RE7 Chris looks like Tom Cruise's stunt double who you only use for shots that are really far away so you won't focus on his face that much.

Nah RE5/6 Chris is GOAT

I'm pretty miffed about the redesign, but I guess I makes sense with how they're photoscannned and acted.

At least I won't have to look at it too much
but Roger Craig Smith tho ;___;
I really hope they cast better going forward, they better freaking cast Julia Voth as Jill again.

PLEASE

What's funny is that he mentions the stomp, which has been in the series since RE1.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. There was a stomp mechanic in RE1? I know in RE2 there's a canned animation to stomp a zombies head if you've been grabbed at the leg. Was that in RE1 as well? Is that what you're referring to?

If that's the case I wouldn't say that's really the same as a stomping mechanic. This might be a nitpick, though. There are plenty of survival horror ass survival horror games with a stomp. Dead Space and Silent Hill come to mind.

But I'm low key bugging out over the idea that I've played through Resident Evil all these times and completely missed an entire melee option.

kodecraft

My only worry is that I'm not sure the base movement and shooting mechanics of RE7 will transition well to a more action focused DLC,

How?

I play RE7 on Madhouse several times with infinite ammo and I play it like it's action. I don't miss. This doesn't need to become Dokm 2016. The mechanics work as is.

Chris will have a better arsenal of weapons. The game play is fine.

rtcn63

Hope the shotgun is pretty good, because the Albert was garbage in the main game with regular ammo.

The Albert's heavy recoil and limited clip really didn't make it as useful as it could've been... if you're playing with a controller and no aim assist. (Which is generally how I roll)

Its because of the new technique they used for the graphics.
Honestly I think it looks graphically worse than 6's

Both Chris' seem to be missing a transition between chin and neck and that bothers me

Crossing Eden

Seen this posted a lot of places recently not 100% on it but does look pretty close to the Resident Evil artbooks I actually have
OHGuEtS.jpg
Oh nice. Side not:That molded concept art....would've been a much more horrifying look for the molded in the final game. Give them a sense of humanity for the new victims and maybe make the standard ones in the final game higher level enemies who've been infected longer.

Why yes, that is what an opinion would be.
Opinions can be wrong. RE7 even at the worst of times looks way better than 6 on a technical level. Can't hold a candle to incredibly well done PBR.

I said the same thing months ago about the future of first person RE and "fanboys" (who apparently failed to turn up for their precious RE7 which had disappointing sales) told me to shut up. Looks like we know who Capcom really listens to these days tho. So it must suck to be them.

Are you intentionally trying to sound like Trump or is it coming out accidentally

Top Bottom