• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

34,000 pieces of Wii U software were sold in the UK in January (incl. NintyLand)

BadWolf

we're witnessing the slow (or fast?) decline of the age of dedicated gaming systems, being replaced by the Tablet, Smartphone, and PC.

Last generation was an aberration. From here on out, there probably can be only one "dominant" home console and maybe one handheld. Nintendo should release one more handheld like the Vita in a couple of years and they'll make some nice coin on that but no where near what they did with the DS/GBA.

And they should transition to being a versatile software publisher, releasing quality products on a range of platforms.

No, its just Nintendo's new console failing.

The PS360 are old and their particular decline is perfectly understandable.

You know, this kind of highlights an argument I've seen a few times in sales threads; that it's not the market declining, it's just returning to normality after the one-two punch of DS and Wii.

Essentially, it's all Nintendo's fault. Wii and DS have left a gaping hole and 3DS and Wii U do not look equipped to fill it back in.

Yep, but it's depressing normality for the UK means Fifa will rule the charts XD, it's like when this gen was almost starting and PS2 ruled the charts; the difference being that it's COD now XD. All those DS and Wii casual gamers have moved on to mobile and social gamings =/

You know, this kind of highlights an argument I've seen a few times in sales threads; that it's not the market declining, it's just returning to normality after the one-two punch of DS and Wii.

Essentially, it's all Nintendo's fault. Wii and DS have left a gaping hole and 3DS and Wii U do not look equipped to fill it back in.

This plus the plastic instruments blew up a gaming market bubble in 2007-2009 and now it is just deflating back to normal levels. Not only that but the PS3 was £425, a record for console hardware so 2007 revenue would have been much higher than normal.

AHA-Lambda

The Wii-U will be fine. We just saw a Nintendodirect that blew us all away not that long ago. The games are coming. Nintendo has ALWAYS been a slow burn.

But none of those games matter to a wider audience which will determine the future success of the wiiu.

Dead Man

So I did a few calculations with these figures.

Total sales Jan 2012 - 2778
Total sales Jan 2013 - 2111

Market decrease of 26%

Now let's look at the detail.

Nintendo vs non-Nintendo:

Total Nintendo platform sales in Jan 2012 - 999k
Total non-Nintendo platform sales in Jan 2012 - 1779k

Total Nintendo platform sales in Jan 2013 - 467k
Total non-Nintendo platform sales in Jan 2013 - 1644k

Nintendo YoY decrease - 53.3%
Non-Nintendo YoY decrease - 7.6%
Non-Nintendo YoY decrease consoles only - 3.5%

So, is it the UK market that's dead, or Nintendo that's dead in the UK?

I hope this myth that gaming is dead in the UK ceases to exist, it's Nintendo that are in serious decline. A new generation of consoles from Sony and MS would more than fix the current problems for their own decline.

Very good post, makes it much clearer, thanks.

BadWolf

Mario Kart and Mario 3D don't appeal to wider audiences? Riiiight.

First party will take them only so far, they might end up with another GC sort of success.

The Wii exploded because motion controls clicked with the casual crowd, that's about it. Its library of games is horrendous for a system that won a generation.

Nobody gives a shit about the gamepad thus far.

AHA-Lambda

Mario Kart and Mario 3D don't appeal to wider audiences? Riiiight.

Where either of those games shown? No.

Plus 3D mario isn't a big hit with casual audience relatively speaking. The only thing left is mario kart and I can't see people buying a wiiu just for that like people did the wii.

People stating that the Wii U is doing better across Europe are mistaken... unless across Europe means France.

This is the percent of marketshare the Wii U had in each country last year:

France: 4.20%
UK: 3.08%
Germany: 3.08%
Netherlands: 2.24%
Belgium: 1.96%
Italy: 1.68%
Spain: 1.12%

In those terms the UK is the Wii U's joint second best market.

The Wii-U will be fine. We just saw a Nintendodirect that blew us all away not that long ago. The games are coming. Nintendo has ALWAYS been a slow burn.
When the possibility of FIFA not gracing the system is actually a real plausibility given Madden's current status* and the system is likely selling ~15K units/week across all of Europe right now (looking at typical drop offs post-Dec)...

No the situation isn't fine.

*Although I do think FIFA will end up on the platform.

BadWolf

When the possibility of FIFA not gracing the system is actually a real plausibility given Madden's current status* and the system is likely selling ~15K units/week across all of Europe right now...

Vita port.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Not really surprised.

No marketing + calling it "Wii U" = people think it's a tablet expansion or something

The average conversation in my country about the Wii U ends up with "What's a Wii U?" "It's the successor to the Wii, like the Wii was to the Gamecube" "What's a gamecube?" "..."
Then use an example they would get like PlayStation to PlayStation 2. 2 and U rhyme so that's a little bit of a bonus thrown in.

Nope. It had the best exclusives last gen and a lot of great third party games that everyone ignored.

I, um...
HA_HA_HA_OH_WOW.jpg

SmokyDave

Market decrease of 26%

I hope this myth that gaming is dead in the UK ceases to exist, it's Nintendo that are in serious decline. A new generation of consoles from Sony and MS would more than fix the current problems for their own decline.
People stating that the Wii U is doing better across Europe are mistaken... unless across Europe means France.

These two posts need to be edited into the OP of every UK sales topic from now onwards.

javac

Nope. It had the best exclusives last gen and a lot of great third party games that everyone ignored.

People sadly will agree to disagree. I personally am with ya. No point creating a list war tho, people can help themselves with a Wikipedia or metacritic search.

want to compare it with the other system that won their generation? like ps1,ps2,nes and snes?

But its not the other generations, there's no need at all to compare them. Wii had a great library. Perhaps not as good as 360 or PS3, but it vastly had the best and most consistent exclusives of the three consoles.

Hasney

Ah, but the one piece of software I bought that wasn't Nintendoland was bought on the eShop.

MAKE THAT 34,001 SOFTWARE SALES.

Yes, it really is.

I'd have to agree. The Wii is the reason I'll never buy another Nintendo console before it's got enough games to satisfy me. The PS3 and 360 rinsed it, but personal opinion and all that. I'm sure there are people out there who loved the catalogue, but that doesn't really make either opinion fact.

You could go by metacritic quantity of 80+% rated games or something. That metric wouldn't work out well for the Wii though.

Piers

The majority of the UK likely already own a 360 and an iPad/tablet. There's no real point in the WiiU.
Wii was basically Susan Boyle in hardware form. Lovely surprise when it first demonstrated its talents, then reality quickly caught up that its just an ancient piece of mediocre that did something different.

Mael

First party will take them only so far, they might end up with another GC sort of success.

The Wii exploded because motion controls clicked with the casual crowd, that's about it. Its library of games is horrendous for a system that won a generation.

Nobody gives a shit about the gamepad thus far.

Nah it'll do better than GC, Mario and Mario Kart sucked on GC, that won't happen this time...hopefully.

Hah, why am I not surprised? Serves Nintendo right. It was a dismal launch at an awful price. How Nintendo could spend so much money on R&D and components that is resulting the game pad affecting the majority of the price is beyond me. It's about time for some cold, hard failure and a reality slap. Maybe a price cut too. However, I don't think even a price cut would do much with the state things are in now.

Horrific sales, but not terribly surprising, it has little in the way of inspiring software to begin with.

Much like the Wii, actually.

Oppo

Thanks for your compelling argument.

You are doing exactly the same thing. You just simply declared it be the best library of last gen. That is a laughable joke.

I know there are definitely some bright spots in the Wii library but taken as a whole? Come the fuck on. It's a wasteland. We all know this.

I'm glad you enjoyed your time with it but this is hardly the consensus, it was absolutely nothing like other market leaders in terms of software selection.

You are doing exactly the same thing. You just simply declared it be the best library of last gen. That is a laughable joke.

I know there are definitely some bright spots in the Wii library but taken as a whole? Come the fuck on. It's a wasteland. We all know this.

What? I never said that. I literally said it's not the best of last gen.

Don't blame the UK, blame Nintendo for doing a crummy job.

I can only speak for Belgium but the thing might as well be nonexistent here.

serplux

The majority of the UK likely already own a 360 and an iPad/tablet. There's no real point in the WiiU.

Don't even...

Thought the DS did pretty well here.

But I blame the lack of Corrie games.

Nintendo portables always do well anywhere. :p I'm talking about how the NES was a relatively minor thing (with the Master System being pretty successful), the SNES lost to the Mega Drive, the N64 failing against the PS1, and the GC being a blip on the radar during the PS2's reign. It was only the Wii that actually got Nintendo into first place.

When the possibility of FIFA not gracing the system is actually a real plausibility given Madden's current status* and the system is likely selling ~15K units/week across all of Europe right now (looking at typical drop offs post-Dec)...

EA are bound to stick it on Wii U if it reaches a certain market share of console. Those are the terms of their licence.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood

Market decrease of 26%

Awesome post! Online sales aren't included in this right? So if we factor in the rapid increase in that area, the numbers would even look better for the HD twins.

Top Bottom