• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 claims no ADS bonus in Halo 5, beta appears to demonstrate otherwise

Ominym

Banned
I feel like I'm the only one who read this Eurogamer article a while ago. The one in which Josh Holmes states:

So broadly the damage is the same. Can you give me an example of a behavioural change between hip-fire and Smart Scope?

Tim Longo: Spread. Spread of bullets.

Josh Holmes: For example, the SMG, which you might have used, when you free-fire it, it has a very wide spread. When you go into Smart Scope there's a slight narrowing of the spread.

Eurogamer 12/11/2014

Striker

No issues here. It's about time automatics weren't completely fucking useless in a Halo game.
Auto's weren't entirely useless in previous games in their own range. To me, what made them a problem it was how easy they were to kill enemies with. Like Halo 3's AR, for instance. There was no strong recoil or heavy spread as you were spamming the trigger. ADS on an automatic just makes it easier to aim/kill unless there's a balance with heavy recoil.

PnCIa

So, Call of Duty then? Thats a good thing, CoD is way more realistic than Halo, and i like realism. In fact the only games i am playing a lot nowadays are CoD and ArmA because they both take a more realistic approach to combat, i am glad that Halo is moving into this direction.

It feels fine to me. I can see why people didn't want ADS, though, as it probably does disrupt a Halo tradition.

But! Sometimes tradition needs to be shaken a bit. See Metroid Prime for examples.

RSB

Banned
oh fucking hell, of course.

I'm sure it'll be time to whip out my chart on why people are annoyed at a Halo game not being a Halo game again
Halo has no unique identity anymore. Just another brick in the wall now.
Pretty much.

I'm all for evolving the franchise, but what 343 is doing here is just making Halo more like every other shooter in the already way too homogenized console FPS market.

Ogre 2 quitting the beta after a few matches to play Halo CE instead says it all, really.

It says 1 hardcore Halo fan didn't like the changes after playing for half an hour. If that's "it all", then my morning shower must be a torrential downpour.
Well, duh. The Ogre 2 comment isn't meant to be taken literally, I'm just trying to illustrate my point, obviously. And BTW, Ogre 2 is just not any hardcore Halo fan, he is the best Halo player of all time.

cackhyena

So, Call of Duty then? Thats a good thing, CoD is way more realistic than Halo, and i like realism. In fact the only games i am playing a lot nowadays are CoD and ArmA because they both take a more realistic approach to combat, i am glad that Halo is moving into this direction.

You think CoD is more realistic than Battlefield? CoD feels like an arcade shooter by comparison.

Irrelevant? Play the game it is so much fun. Stop reading about these changes and try it yourself. The multiplayer in H5 is really fantastic. The changes they have made are for the better.

Good to hear at least someone is digging it.

Is the Hip fire vs scope fire for auto-weapons a noticable difference? Also, do you find yourself relying on scope, or is it fairly balanced in the sense that hip-fire is still very useful in certain circumstances?

I'm loving the hell out of the classic Halo MCC multiplayer. It's great to be back to Halo, but I'm also not an ADS hater. I've actually been annoyed that Halo still didn't have aiming for some weapons. As long as hip fire is still damn useful, and the back and forth battles still engaging, I'm all good. I look forward to trying this.

Nvzman

Call of Duty? Realistic?
nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

Magwik

Banned
Pretty much.

I'm all for evolving the franchise, but what 343 is doing here is just making Halo more like every other shooter in the already way too homogenized console FPS market.

Ogre 2 quitting the beta after a few matches to play Halo CE instead says it all, really.
It's quite sad that Microsofts biggest franchise has been reduced to follow the market leader. You'd think a multi million selling franchise is able to take risks in the market, but it apparently is not. Sure it still looks and feels like Halo, but Halo 5 doesn't really have any soul or identity.
I'm looking forward to the beta, and I'm sure I will have fun, but it just won't be the same.

RoKKeR

It's quite sad that Microsofts biggest franchise has been reduced to follow the market leader. You'd think a multi million selling franchise is able to take risks in the market, but it apparently is not. Sure it still looks and feels like Halo, but Halo 5 doesn't really have any soul or identity.
I'm looking forward to the beta, and I'm sure I will have fun, but it just won't be the same.
No identity? Totally disagree. Is t borrowing more from other shooters than it has in the past? Sure, but there's nothing out there that plays like Halo... Nothing on consoles at least even comes close.

I'd say it absolutely has an identity, perhaps more so than most other shooters on consoles.

I have some very serious reservations about the spread becoming tighter while zooming in. It gives me Gears of War 2 TU6 Gnasher flashbacks.

Curious to try it out for myself and see if it's that bad though.

Magwik

Banned
No identity? Totally disagree. Is t borrowing more from other shooters than it has in the past? Sure, but there's nothing out there that plays like Halo... Nothing on consoles at least even comes close.

I'd say it absolutely has an identity, perhaps more so than most other shooters on consoles.
That's not the issue. Sure nothing still is like Halo, but Halo is not closer to playing like every other game on the market already. It's just "follow the leader and makes things more familiar" like Windows 8 (not 8.1). i still after 3 games have a hard time believing you can have the best of both worlds. Actually the Windows 8 comparison is surprisingly on point.

I guess the questionable design choices of Halo 4 and the sheer brokenness of Halo: MCC USED to be able to set the series apart, but Destiny is on the case. In terms of awful design decision and lacking features, Halo can't even compete anymore.

Though, adding a "useless" ADS system is stupid and an obvious ploy to either A.) Try to suck in CoD fans or B.) Set a precedent for ADS to take over fully in later titles.

If it's actually useful, which most people are saying it isn't, then... that's just stupid.

It still has an identity, but its losing more of that with every release. They're adding more and more stuff from competing games in an attempt to please more people, but it's doing the complete opposite. You can see the influences of Call of Duty on Halo 4 from a mile away.

I'm not even sure they know what makes a good Halo game any more.

Cday

Banned
I'm tired of people saying nothing plays like Halo AT ALL. Sure, it is unique. But bull shite if it didn't evolve elements from GoldenEye on N64.

What elements? About all they share in common is being popular console FPS in their time. They play nothing alike and Bungie had already made an FPS game years before Goldeneye.

Goldeneye shares more in common with Doom than with Halo gameplay-wise. Halo and Halo 2 were the real innovations. Halo being notable for its controls, smooth and expanded gameplay over previous console FPS. Smooth in that the controller was well designed for the genre and even something as simple a dedicated grenade button made a huge difference. Expanded in that the maps were large, offered vehicle combat and supported up to 16 players via system link. There was also an emphasis on jumping instead of only being able to strafe. This is the main difference and set Halo apart from most FPS up until this recent trend of verticality in modern FPS.

Halo 2 being notable for its online suite, which was the prototype for modern match making based multiplayer. It also had social features integrated in the game that weren't adopted on a system wide level until the 360's version of xbox live.

What does Halo have to thank Goldeneye for? Pretty much nothing gameplay-wise. Interest-wise it's a guess as to how much it owes to Goldeneye for being a popular FPS on a console. Had Goldeneye and Perfect Dark never been a thing I wouldn't doubt if Halo would have been just as much of a hit.

Hubble

I just saw this and am so glad someone posted this. I am going to write my impressions on the Halo 5 beta thread.

ADS is really bad in this game. For some weapons, like the DMR they tried to balance it with an overlarged scope, but for some other weapons ADS makes a big impact. The SMG in particular.

The SMG is super powerful in this game close range, which I don't know why since the shotgun fulfilled this purpose. However, when in ADS, the SMG can pick off some kills at long range that you cannot do otherwise without ADS/zooming in. It is ridiculous. It is terrible. As a big Halo fan, it makes me sad.

JayEH

The real tragedy is that they put ADS on LT by default and are just encouraging players to play it like CoD.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
How the tables have turned.

I still remember how upset I was that after Halo, everyone had to use self recharging health, making smaller encounters completely without risk, and slowing the gameplay up quite a bit by forcing waiting time to heal up mid-battle.

Anyhow, I personally don't have a problem with ADS, but you guys can't say this doesn't change things. Yes, getting hit out of ADS makes it a bit different from normal ADS, but I feel like that'd just make getting the first hit all the more important, not make ADS worthless. Those gifs make the difference look really intense, so at long ranges i'm not sure if you could get another hit in after you get hit out of ADS.

Kayant

Not sure if posted but they gave a comment to kokatu

343i said:
I want to clarify the function of the smart-link system. There is no penalty to hip fire while using smart-link. It's really important to us that you maintain freedom of movement, your shots remain accurate, etc. so that we aren't disrupting the natural movement and flow of Halo. In the case of automatic weapons (eg: AR, SMG) there is a slight improvement to shot spread while zoomed in via smart-link. However, the obvious trade-off is that getting shot while using smart-link will de-scope you, disrupting any benefit. As I said in the vidoc that we released earlier, we don't want people to feel like they need to use smart-link to be successful at the game. If you watch our pro team play (and dominate) you'll see them switching back and forth between hip fire and smart-link, depending on the situation and range to target.2

A reminder that H5:G is still very much in development and this beta is about getting the game in the hands of fans so that we can use your feedback to improve our multiplayer experience for the game's launch next fall. I appreciate all of the impressions that people have shared so far and look forward to receiving even more feedback once we launch the beta on Dec 29th.

http://kotaku.com/halo-5s-aiming-has-changed-and-not-everyone-likes-it-1674271463

FStop7

Banned

There is absolutely nothing realistic about either of these games, which is why they shouldn't be bound to the altar of "realism" but rather focus on being fun games. And Halo worked as a fast paced, arena style shooter. That's how it got such a large and loyal following. I used to think ADS would benefit Halo, but then I kind of realized my error after listening to dedicated Halo players describe their perspective of the issue.

RSB

Banned
How the tables have turned.

I still remember how upset I was that after Halo, everyone had to use self recharging health, making smaller encounters completely without risk, and slowing the gameplay up quite a bit by forcing waiting time to heal up mid-battle.

Anyhow, I personally don't have a problem with ADS, but you guys can't say this doesn't change things. Yes, getting hit out of ADS makes it a bit different from normal ADS, but I feel like that'd just make getting the first hit all the more important, not make ADS worthless. Those gifs make the difference look really intense, so at long ranges i'm not sure if you could get another hit in after you get hit out of ADS.
Yep, the bottom line is, the FPS genre on consoles is way too homogeneous.

When Halo got popular, suddenly every FPS had to have regen shields/health, two weapon limit, and dedicated buttons for grenades and melee.

When CoD got popular, suddenly every FPS had to have ADS, sprint, killstreaks, perks, and a progression system.

God, I hope Destiny doesn't get too popular or I can already see future FPS's being filled with random loot, farming, and endless grind. :shudders:

Top Bottom