• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 was considering releasing "Halo 5.5" Before Halo Infinite.

Corporate vice president at Xbox Game Studios and head of 343 Industries Bonnie Ross has revealed the studio considered releasing a Halo 5.5 title for Xbox One while Halo Infinite is in development. Recent information points to a 2020 release date for Halo Infinite, meaning it will have been five years since Halo 5: Guardians.
Bonnie Ross explained why 343 Industries was considering a stopgap title in the series during an interview on IGN Unfiltered. “When we [released] Halo 5, there were talks about, could we get another Halo out in two years? So, we did look at, I’d call it a ‘Halo 5.5,’ or a ‘Halo 6 ODST’ type of thing. A smaller game … If you want another game, we can do that, but … my concern was, if you did something like that, I don’t think Halo would do well after that. You can’t put out a half-baked game.” With the large gap between the previous entry in the Halo franchise and Halo Infinite, it isn’t surprising 343 Industries considered releasing a game in the meantime. There was clearly an appetite for a Halo title, demonstrated by fan speculation about whether arcade game Halo Fireteam Raven may be released on the Xbox One.
Along with the news that the studio considering Halo 5.5, Ross elaborated on why Halo Infinite had spent so much time in development. Ross called the previous Halo engine “a very technical, engineering-focused engine” and stated, “it’s super-hard for creatives to work in.” These difficulties appear to be what led to the delay as it meant 343 Industries chose to develop a new engine for Halo Infinite, the “Slipspace Engine.” Despite the long development time, the game doesn’t appear to be experiencing wider issues. Halo franchise development director Frank O’Connor recently stated that he was “extremely happy” with the Halo Infinite multiplayer.

One could arguably say that Halo MCC at launch was "half-baked" but they did eventually get the title together... Over 4 years after launch.

Here's hoping that Halo Infinite got complete freedom and it doesn't pull a FFXV/Versus and throws parts of what was supposed to be Halo 5.5 into Infinite slapped together. They are hyping this up as a big deal so it better be well polished.

link1201

I agree that it better be well polished. I am holding off on buying a new Xbox because I want to get whatever will be the newest and best Console to play it on, so I am hoping it will be worth the wait. I don't want any issues at launch to spoil it.

Last edited:

Xenon

So we have an exec at MS calling their own game 5.5? WTF I guess getting destroyed by the press isn't enough for them now they are doing it to themselves. Does she not realize she is shitting on her own projects even if it was not followed through.

I also find this a bit troubling...

Ross called the previous Halo engine “a very technical, engineering-focused engine” and stated, “it’s super-hard for creatives to work in.”

By creatives does she mean non game developers. Uggghhh.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Once upon a time, Halo 3 & Reach (ODST as well) were incrementally different from one another & basically shared the exact same gameplay, graphics & visuals. They were for all intents & purposes the same game. No one complained though because the core games were freaking awesome. I have zero faith in 343 (who the fuck thought squad commands ala Mass Effect were a good idea in a single player Halo campaign?), ergo it's not the ".5" sequel which would be a problem, no, it's them.

Just make a f*cking Halo game & stop d*cking around with concepts designed to make yourselves standout or feel special.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Everyone in the industry were always talking about wanting to make a Halo killer, it seems Microsoft has found her.

Arkage

Banned
Well let's hope Halo Infinite's campaign if amazing after so much dev time. If it's another forced 4 player/AI co op, I'm out.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Explain?

Explain?

Why the hate? Explain?

Issa joke? Sort of?

Ever since the article back in the day where she wanted to make Halo Microsoft's Star Wars, it's been a convoluted mess in the story and lore department.

I would love if it returns to the consistency of the glory years that were 1 through 3 as well as the books back then. That was the best Halo, the most captivating.

I also worry with all her identity politics talk moving forward in the same way that people worry about Naughty Dog. She did allude that the universe is big enough for that type of stuff.

Codes 208

I don’t think I would’ve hated halo 5 as much if it was halo 4.5 due how it felt more like the opening of an act rather than a full sequel.

Another example of internet hate brigade that opens its mouth before reading, understanding, or thinking about what the hell it is they're commenting on.

Here is a person, who is in charge of Halo, saying that instead of a quick 2 year development time to rush a sequel out, she convinced higher ups to give her and her team more team to make a substantial, innovative, and complete game, and in the process, heavily upgrade an engine that would make even future games much better and easier to make rather than trying to add features to a 19 year old engine. The new Slipspace engine will make it much easier for artists and designer to input their ideas or changes in to the game and test them out. She's investing long term in to the future of Halo.

And what do we get as a response to her efforts, and her foresight?
These garbage responses...
Man Bonnie Ross has been talking a lot of bullshit lately.
Halo Infinite multiplayer confirmed hot garbage already.
So we have an exec at MS calling their own game 5.5? WTF I guess getting destroyed by the press isn't enough for them now they are doing it to themselves.
By creatives does she mean non game developers. Uggghhh.
Everyone in the industry were always talking about wanting to make a Halo killer, it seems Microsoft has found her.
At least, read or listen to the actual interview and understand the point that shes making rather than rushing to post a garbage hot take.
Here's the actual interview if any of you geniunely care.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Another example of internet hate brigade that opens its mouth before reading, understanding, or thinking about what the hell it is they're commenting on.

Here is a person, who is in charge of Halo, saying that instead of a quick 2 year development time to rush a sequel out, she convinced higher ups to give her and her team more team to make a substantial, innovative, and complete game, and in the process, heavily upgrade an engine that would make even future games much better and easier to make rather than trying to add features to a 19 year old engine. The new Slipspace engine will make it much easier for artists and designer to input their ideas or changes in to the game and test them out. She's investing long term in to the future of Halo.

At least, read or listen to the actual interview and understand the point that shes making rather than rushing to post a garbage hot take.

This is not what I am talking about. I am talking interviews she did last month. She is not new, nor were her views that have been discussed to death on here for it to be a "hot take".

If the next Halo returns to it's glory, I will most definitely change my views and congratulate, but recently... I stand by my disappointment and concern.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned

You telling me she hasn't?

If you don't have anything constructive to say, then don't say anything at all.
Shes been candid, forthcoming, very sensible in her outlook, and has just been awarded in to the Hall of Fame from her peers at the DICE awards.
The only one who seems to be spewing bullshit is you.

If you don't have anything constructive to say, then don't say anything at all.
Shes been candid, forthcoming, very sensible in her outlook, and has just been awarded in to the Hall of Fame from her peers at the DICE awards.
The only one who seems to be spewing bullshit is you.

Maybe you should stop whiteknighting her.
She just hasnt done a good job, period.
The results speak for themselves.

Oh brother. Asking people for more constructive comments than "shes been talking bullshit" is not white knighting.
Not to mention that "results speak for themselves" have nothing to do with this actual interview or the discussion at hand.
But I guess it is asking too much of internet dudebros acting tough behind a keyboard to actually make a coherent argument rather than just nerd-raging and making typical low-brow comments.

I don’t think I would’ve hated halo 5 as much if it was halo 4.5 due how it felt more like the opening of an act rather than a full sequel.

Gameplay and MP was alright.

My main issue with Halo 5 was that the hyped up moment in all the written material, video presentations and ads ended up being a 3 minute cutscene and no actual gameplay.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hi, I'd like to sign up EA and Activision for this lesson. I'll just place this blank check in your pocket...

STOP LAUNCHING HALF BAKED GAMES! Thank you!

You can’t put out a half-baked game.

She could have worded that in a way that would have made her look humbled by MCC. Saying this made it seem like she's decided MCC wasn't a half-baked release.

But I guess it is asking too much of internet dudebros acting tough behind a keyboard to actually make a coherent argument rather than just nerd-raging and making typical low-brow comments.

How could you type that line out and hit Post Reply? You literally just described the very thing you just did. Personal insults like calling people "Dudebro" and using derogatory terms to describe people you disagree with and their opinions isn't going to swing people back to your point of view. People are skeptical of the direction the franchise was taken, and are also skeptical of Bonnie Ross' ability to run the studio. She's done a lot of interviews discussing her efforts but hasn't shown a lot of results. I sincerely hope that she proves me wrong and Halo Infinite is excellent, I'll happily eat crow.

If you're happy with what happened to MCC, the Halo 5 ad campaign, and the way the current SP story arc is progressing and trust that she's doing all the right things more power to you. It's hard to argue though, the series has had a lot of missed steps since she took the reins. MCC was one of the most important releases for the Xbone, and was a colossal mess that took years to get working properly. Halo 4's story and aesthetic started down a path that strayed from the formula people liked into a much more fantasy sting than sci-fi. Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike were mediocre games that diluted the franchise. Halo 5 was a complete blunder with an add campaign featuring a potential story arc that didn't come close to the one in the actual game. One of the few moments in Halo 4's story people did accept as well done, losing Cortana, was reversed replacing her with a very unlikeable character.

Gameplay and MP was alright.

My main issue with Halo 5 was that the hyped up moment in all the written material, video presentations and ads ended up being a 3 minute cutscene and no actual gameplay.

It was worse than that even. They portrayed through ads that Master Chief would potentially be almost a doom-bringer to the UNSC, or that you could play on the opposite side as Locke and bring down Master Chief who has become a threat to the UNSC. Instead Locke bumbled around like an idiot-stick the entire game, Master Chief decided not to bother to let the UNSC know that some bad shit was going down, and Cortana has come back from the dead as a cat lady. What they showed in the ads never happened at all, instead we got this in Mjolnir armor:

Immediately after that all was well because it tuned out Locke knew all along what MC was up to, making the "fight" completely pointless.

ExpandKong

Banned
I don’t know whether them taking longer to work on Infinite means it’ll actually be good or if that’s just more time for them to make an even worse game.

Xenon

Thanks for posting the video. I had no idea she was responsible for having put together 343. And there is no doubting the technical expertise of the team she was leading. But it also highlighted that all three of her Halo projects have been have been failures as whole products.

Halo 4 - Chasing CoD MP robbed the series of it's identity and was a major blow to the community. Since it was neither what people expected from Halo nor as good at being a CoD clone, they ended up with something Halo fans didnt want to stay for and CoD fans didn't want to go to. The campaign and graphics got people playing, MP just couldn't keep them there.

MCC - She set unrealistic expectations and failed to meet them. The fact that she said that just having all the SP campaigns and H2 multiplayer was on the table yet they decided to overreach which did 343, MS and the Halo franchise so much needless damage in the public eye. They could have launched with H2 MP and added the rest one by one and been heroes. Instead...

H5 - This was the most I have ever enjoyed Halo multiplayer. It was perfect. The added things but it felt right in line with Halo. Most people who played it loved it. But once again a major flaw would hurt the package as a whole. A good single player campaign could have worked as a vehicle to get more players to try multiplayer. What we got was an unfocused mess with team mechanics, a split narrative with two teams we never really got to know. A story spread across different media that not only failed to justify its existence but actually made it worse. Not to mention advertising and trailers that were completely misleading. Clusterfuck is putting it nicely

So while I can acknowledge her accomplishments, they don't come close to the damage she has done. To be fair there is no way to know if anyone could have done better be and there were some good things to come out of it. I liked MCC as a single player game, H4's campaign, and H5's multiplayer. Still I have to question why she still has the keys to the car.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
Halo is over, part 6 will make less money than the Fortnite equivalent in 2020. It's sad to say, but clinging on to these old franchises. pretending that they're industry heavyweight titles baffles me. I mean honestly, what is the more valuable current IP, im talking if it was sold tomorrow. Halo or Fortnite? If it wasn't seen as the Xbox launch title brand, anyone else would put it on hiatus.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Explain what? The fact that the moment that person opens their mouth, absolute garbage spews out.

That is the same human who claimed that everyone who saw Halo 4 for the codified garbage that it ended up being before launch as just "not seeing the changes in proper context".

Maybe you should spend 3 tenths of a second looking at what I was quoting before jumping on the 343 slurplejerk train.

Oh brother. Asking people for more constructive comments than "shes been talking bullshit" is not white knighting.
Not to mention that "results speak for themselves" have nothing to do with this actual interview or the discussion at hand.
Jesus. You're in love with a girl you only know of from the internet? Oh right, this is NeoGaf.

Graciaus

I would have preferred a complete multi-player remake for halo 2. It's to bad the best playing game in the series only has 5 maps. 2 of which usually lead to blow outs.

Neuro

So in theory Halo Infinite is a cross generation title...something like Nintendo has been doing for sometime now...

I want Infinite to be good but 343i has left a sour taste in my mouth after Halo: MCC being broken that took them nearly half a decade to fix. Halo 5 failed to live up to my exceptions. Hoping that a playable beta/demo will be offered before I make a purchase for it.

Calibos

Issa joke? Sort of?

Ever since the article back in the day where she wanted to make Halo Microsoft's Star Wars, it's been a convoluted mess in the story and lore department.

I would love if it returns to the consistency of the glory years that were 1 through 3 as well as the books back then. That was the best Halo, the most captivating.

I also worry with all her identity politics talk moving forward in the same way that people worry about Naughty Dog. She did allude that the universe is big enough for that type of stuff.

I kind of thought so. I am worried about Halo Infinite too, but the things they are out there saying about their direction and past mistakes make me a bit more comfortable. Halo 5 was very close to being one of the best ever IMO, so I hope that they can keep Infinite focused.

She's been talking a lot of bullshit lately. It's self explanatory.

So a jaded, chip on the shoulder hot take. Why not be constructive, get involved in the community and help give good feedback instead?
Explain what? The fact that the moment that person opens their mouth, absolute garbage spews out.

That is the same human who claimed that everyone who saw Halo 4 for the codified garbage that it ended up being before launch as just "not seeing the changes in proper context".

Maybe you should spend 3 tenths of a second looking at what I was quoting before jumping on the 343 slurplejerk train.

So a jaded, chip on the shoulder hot take. Why not be constructive, get involved in the community and help give good feedback instead?

Sorne

I did and I'll stand by what I said because I played Halo 4 and 5.
Finished products speak more than PR trash.

That's fair. But combining all this with the E3 trailer (which clearly shows the more classic feel) and the behind-the-scenes stuff from making that, you can see that they seem to be much more aware of what Halo was and is to many people. Of course they can still mess it up, but I do actually have hope that they know what they're doing this time, and that it's not just "PR trash".

Breakage

How can you top a name like “Infinite”? Is this Halo's Mac OS X moment?
It just makes me wonder what the next game after Infinite will be called.

Breakage

But the word infinite conjures up images of something that is on going, ie endless.
To go from that back to an ordinary number seems...odd. It just makes me wonder if it's a hint that they are planning to make it span an entire gen –as a gaas game.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
Halo 5's story was what made me stop playing Halo. Halo 3, Halo Reach and Halo 4's story were top notch. When I played Halo 5 it was like watching Aliens 3, just horrible.

That's fair. But combining all this with the E3 trailer (which clearly shows the more classic feel) and the behind-the-scenes stuff from making that, you can see that they seem to be much more aware of what Halo was and is to many people. Of course they can still mess it up, but I do actually have hope that they know what they're doing this time, and that it's not just "PR trash".

you guys forget so quickly
It's exactly what it seems, PR trash
343i are masters at hype and marketing, and shit at making good Halo games
they will hype the shit out of fools like you, FOR THE 3rd time!!! Get with it man, 343i have no idea what they are doing but they sure know how to push the marketing machine to make us think Halo is coming back to the glory days. It isn't.

Sorne

you guys forget so quickly
It's exactly what it seems, PR trash
343i are masters at hype and marketing, and shit at making good Halo games
they will hype the shit out of fools like you, FOR THE 3rd time!!! Get with it man, 343i have no idea what they are doing but they sure know how to push the marketing machine to make us think Halo is coming back to the glory days. It isn't.

Haha okay. Salty much.

I actually really enjoyed Halo 4's campaign and I'm still playing Halo 5's multiplayer to this date while switching between that and MCC classic halo multiplayer. So I don't really feel that fooled.

This past few years have been nothing but let downs, call me cynical but I find it hard to believe a word that leaves any mouths from corporate and journalists..

I'll still buy Halo with the biggest grin on my face but ain't no way I'm expecting much from it.. I'll hope though.

Because don't get me wrong, I absolutely fucking love the franchise and I'll be the first to scream at the top of my lungs when they eventually nail it... hopefully.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
For me a good compromise would be releasing a F2P version of Halo Infinite MP earlier than the retail version (like an early access).

Say Infinite is due in Q4 2020 then release an early access version of MP in Q2 2020. Maybe the early access version would only have Team Slayer, Team CTF and Lone Wolves with a limited number of maps.

Let people play a limited version of the MP for at least six months, use that time to tweak and perfect the gameplay and performance. Anything that a player unlocks (skins etc.) would carry over to the full retail version as well as player stats.

The retail version would then be a highly polished MP offering on day one but would add extra maps and modes (Big Team Battle, Battle Royale etc.) so that there was value there. I suppose the danger is that people would just stick to the early access version and not upgrade to the retail one so I suppose they would have to really add a lot of new maps and modes to the final retail version. Plus a lot of fans would upgrade for the single player campaign if it's good anyway.

I think something like that could really get people playing Halo again and build hype for the retail release of Infinite.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But the word infinite conjures up images of something that is on going, ie endless.
To go from that back to an ordinary number seems...odd. It just makes me wonder if it's a hint that they are planning to make it span an entire gen –as a gaas game.

This is the same company that did Xbox, Xbox 360, then Xbox One. But I also think this is going to be an ongoing GaaS structure. They can always do spin-off stories without numbers in the name.

Even COD at it's peak couldn't last a full 3 years, if you think they can make ONE Halo game last a gen youze crazies.

Top Bottom