• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343i Acknowledges Halo 5 Storytelling Mistake, Will Double Down on Master Chief Focus

I think it's him but correct me if I'm wrong.

Managing Editor

https://www.halopedia.org/Kevin_Grace

Most recently involved with the Halo Wars 2 story.

Frankie is Franchise Development Director but not sure how much of a say he gets in writing but seems like a top job only bettered by Studio head, Bonnie Ross and perhaps Kiki Wolfkill as Executive producer.

Heerr......I watched the campaign and was pretty hilarious how the UNSC had a lot of help to win and even continue the fight afterwards.

I think it's him but correct me if I'm wrong.

Managing Editor

https://www.halopedia.org/Kevin_Grace

Most recently involved with the Halo Wars 2 story.

Frankie is Franchise Development Director but not sure how much of a say he gets in writing but seems like a top job only bettered by Studio head, Bonnie Ross and perhaps Kiki Wolfkill as Executive producer.

What story?
Nothing freaking happens all game and it ends on a cliffhanger

a.wd

I loved halo 5,my only issue is that the story wasn't as good as Hunt the truth.

But HTT was incredible.

If they could replicate that story and excitement then that would be boss.

343 needs to focus on HOW they write their stories, not the narrative perspective.

Halo 5's largest flaw wasn't the fact that you didn't play enough of MC, it was hands down, the writing and execution. It just wasn't great - and the story it told was all sorts of meh.

They have so many talented people there, but they really need to reevaluate what made Halo 1-3 so appealing, and to a lesser extent, ODST. Let Halo be Halo, tell a fantastical space opera with some horror moments filled with the unknown. And find a way to retcon Halo 5's weirdness without doing an outright retcon.

Honestly, I would love if Halo 6 pulled a huge U-turn and just introduced new alien species, and explored humanities first contact with new races while dealing with Covenant and some Forerunner activity.

And for the love of god, axe the Prometheans. They just aren't fun or interesting. Resurrect the real forerunners somehow, or something.

I loved halo 5,my only issue is that the story wasn't as good as Hunt the truth.

But HTT was incredible.

Man... Hunt the Truth had me so goddamn pumped for Halo 5. Between that and the trailers I was honestly expecting a two-sided campaign that needed to be played from both perspectives. Possibily involving a "boss fight" against the opposing Spartan team at one point or another.

But HTT was incredible.

I'm hoping that's what they do. Hunt the Truth was written post Halo 5, hopefully the positive reception influenced Halo 6. Or a Halo ODST which would be appropriate for HTT's tone.

Man... Hunt the Truth had me so goddamn pumped for Halo 5. Between that and the trailers I was honestly expecting a two-sided campaign that needed to be played from both perspectives. Possibily involving a "boss fight" against the opposing Spartan team at one point or another.

Or the series needs to grow up to deliver a serious tone so far the only gruesome thing I remember was the female doctor being desintegrated in front of Chief in Halo 4

Or the series needs to grow up to deliver a serious tone so far the only gruesome thing I remember was the female doctor being desintegrated in front of Chief in Halo 4

I agree on that as well! The ending to Halo 4 and even some of the supporting comics made it seem like we'd have to worry about Chief's mental state. It seemed like they were going to leave him as the lone Spartan 2 who loses his AI companion in a world that doesn't really need him anymore.

My take on this is conflicted, and agree that in terms of narrative execution 343i have not done a great job as great in the main Halo games, but then I don't think that Bungie done that great in Halo 2/3 and Reach either (Halo 2 Anniversary is so much better than Halo 2). Really didn't like Reach, least favourite of all the games. Halo CE followed by ODST is Bungie's best work.

- I believe a LOT of the issues / mistakes by 343i are actually a result of being somewhat pressured into a corner by Microsoft in terms of focussing on mixed media and the overall cash cow.
- I think 343 should have done something like ODST before Halo 4, a bit smaller scale, more easily manageable. Same thing for squad mechanics and Team Osiris. Do a smaller deal.
- Whilst I was excited for it due to Greg Bears awesome trilogy, in hindsight I can now see that bringing Forerunners / Didact into the games was a mistake, and it led to so much of the issues we now have in the game narrative.
- Would like to see the main games not always be about 'upping the stakes' and being about Space Jesus Saves the Universe. I mean after Mass Effect 3 I'd have thought 343 would have thrown the Librarian exposition dump in Halo 4 onto the cutting room floor at the first review.

+ I still think Halo 4 plays well - it has flaws sure, but personally I think it recreated that alien sense of wonder I got from Halo CE that no other Halo has really recaptured for me. Halo 4 got closest.
+ Halo 5 mechanically in terms of raw gunplay is probably the best entry in the series including CE. However encounter design and most especially flow is still quite far from CE, and I don't believe that is down to the Prometheans as enemies perse, but more how they appear in waves - gated in via warps. It feels very artificial and does not lead to good encounters IMO. However I had lost of issues with Halo 3 campaign because Brutes suck...
+ Swords of Sangelios is a great mission, but it's the high point of Halo 5, and for me wouldn't be in the top 5 of Halo CE missions.

- Some of the things that were done in the game narrative are just truly inexplicable to me. I mean why build Jul M'Dama up in the EU to then just kill him at the start of Halo 5 and not even in gameplay? ESPECIALLY considering the focus on Sanghelios in the game, an Arbiter / Jul showdown would have been a much better payoff for all the focus on Jul - even if the point for 343 was to build up Locke, why not do that cinematic when saving Arbiter in Swords of Sanghelios? Truly inexplicable to me this one.

- I think in some cases the narrative misfires in Halo 5 are over-compensations from the criticism of Halo 4 (e.g. massive exposition dump by the Librarian), to next to know exposition or context setting in Halo 5. How did John reunite with Blue Team? What significance does Blue Team have for anyone playing the game who does not read the books? Plenty of ways this could have been done MUCH better.
- Halo 5 squad oriented gameplay just does not work for me, more than anything this made it feel more like a generic shooter. With better AI, a mix-up where the odd mission or sequence has a squad might be great, but not for the whole campaign.

Maybe the biggest issue I have with 343i on the story side is that the continuity between Halo 4 and Halo 5 is truly poor:-

- Almost no reference to the Didact that I can remember in Halo 5. In many ways it's like Halo 4 never happened.
- Whilst there is a very slim chance that this could be turned around in Halo 6, there is a huge cognitive dissonance between Halo 4 and Halo 5 in terms of Cortana and the Chief's relationship. The best thing Halo 4 did narratively is handling Cortana and the Chief. Hoping against hope that Halo 6 can somehow salvage this.

What i'd like to see in Halo 6 gameplay wise:-

+ Lone wolf SINGLE-player campaign. Maybe with some squad elements here and there, but I want the focus to be a great single player campaign.
+ Review the encounter design and try and balance it better. less wave arena combat, that's not really what Halo is about as far as I'm concerned; sure in Halo 1-3 there wer actually waves, but they were designed into the environment and setting much more convincingly - dropships apearring with reinforcements, patrols etc - not just arping in to some random point.
+ More non-robotic enemies. The Created gives me an uncomfortable feeling that we will be getting more robotic enemies. What the Covenant has over the Prometheans is that they are flesh n blood aliens and they were trying to wipe out humanity, so the motivations are clearly established. What is the motivation for the Prometheans? Not clear at all. Again, more like Halo CE, with Covenant, Sentinels and Flood, mix it up a bit, hell even bring the Brutes back if you must! But we need more dynamics in the encounters.
+ Visit a damned Halo. There is still plenty of mystery milage to be had out of the Halo installations. Halo's are constructs after all, and would fit in with the Created theme in some ways, plenty of scope.
+ Give me the Flood. I know some folks hate the Flood, but they are absolutely CORE to Halo, and I for one miss em...

Story-wise:-
+ I hold out the hope that 'Cortana' in Halo 5 is a logic-plague corrupted relative of Mendicant Bias, and will have some kind of link to the Flood, and is NOT really the Cortana that John said goodbye to in Halo 4. It's the only way I can see to get some kind of satisfying resolution. Plus I want to see some kind of Contender class AI in action...
+ Keep It Simple Stupid. Don't get all convoluted, The best Halo narratives execution wise were because the core plot was simple (Halo CE):
Stranded on Alien Ring...
-> Where are we and what the hell is it?
-> It's a Halo and it's got some kind of Super Weapon! We have to find it before the enemy...
-> Shit! There's a worse enemy!! Abandon Ship!!!
-> Let's blow this mother and get the hell out of dodge!

That's 4 main plot events, and most importantly all the gameplay is in service to the those story fulcrums, and they all follow logically. Contrast that with Halo 4 & 5 with all the crap going on, so many threads to keep in flight, with lots of noise and lack of logic.

Regarding the Covenant 'Coming Back', I don't think that makes, sense, not the classic Covenant, but there are plenty of other options:-
+ San-Shyum went off the radar, they could easily return. The Prelate in Shadow of Intent could be a pretty cool villain / enemy.
+ Plenty of scope for Arbiter / Sangheilli to fall out with humanity again, especially in light of Onis shenanigans...
+ Lekgolo - we don't know that much about them to be honest.
+ Brutes - kind of central to the Halo wars 2 story...

All in all i'm still looking forward to Halo 6, but there is a certain amount of trepidation as well.

XNarte

My take on this is conflicted, and agree that in terms of narrative execution 343i have not done a great job as great in the main Halo games, but then I don't think that Bungie done that great in Halo 2/3 and Reach either (Halo 2 Anniversary is so much better than Halo 2). Really didn't like Reach, least favourite of all the games. Halo CE followed by ODST is Bungie's best work.

- I believe a LOT of the issues / mistakes by 343i are actually a result of being somewhat pressured into a corner by Microsoft in terms of focussing on mixed media and the overall cash cow.
- I think 343 should have done something like ODST before Halo 4, a bit smaller scale, more easily manageable. Same thing for squad mechanics and Team Osiris. Do a smaller deal.
- Whilst I was excited for it due to Greg Bears awesome trilogy, in hindsight I can now see that bringing Forerunners / Didact into the games was a mistake, and it led to so much of the issues we now have in the game narrative.
- Would like to see the main games not always be about 'upping the stakes' and being about Space Jesus Saves the Universe. I mean after Mass Effect 3 I'd have thought 343 would have thrown the Librarian exposition dump in Halo 4 onto the cutting room floor at the first review.

+ I still think Halo 4 plays well - it has flaws sure, but personally I think it recreated that alien sense of wonder I got from Halo CE that no other Halo has really recaptured for me. Halo 4 got closest.
+ Halo 5 mechanically in terms of raw gunplay is probably the best entry in the series including CE. However encounter design and most especially flow is still quite far from CE, and I don't believe that is down to the Prometheans as enemies perse, but more how they appear in waves - gated in via warps. It feels very artificial and does not lead to good encounters IMO. However I had lost of issues with Halo 3 campaign because Brutes suck...
+ Swords of Sangelios is a great mission, but it's the high point of Halo 5, and for me wouldn't be in the top 5 of Halo CE missions.

- Some of the things that were done in the game narrative are just truly inexplicable to me. I mean why build Jul M'Dama up in the EU to then just kill him at the start of Halo 5 and not even in gameplay? ESPECIALLY considering the focus on Sanghelios in the game, an Arbiter / Jul showdown would have been a much better payoff for all the focus on Jul - even if the point for 343 was to build up Locke, why not do that cinematic when saving Arbiter in Swords of Sanghelios? Truly inexplicable to me this one.

- I think in some cases the narrative misfires in Halo 5 are over-compensations from the criticism of Halo 4 (e.g. massive exposition dump by the Librarian), to next to know exposition or context setting in Halo 5. How did John reunite with Blue Team? What significance does Blue Team have for anyone playing the game who does not read the books? Plenty of ways this could have been done MUCH better.
- Halo 5 squad oriented gameplay just does not work for me, more than anything this made it feel more like a generic shooter. With better AI, a mix-up where the odd mission or sequence has a squad might be great, but not for the whole campaign.

Maybe the biggest issue I have with 343i on the story side is that the continuity between Halo 4 and Halo 5 is truly poor:-

- Almost no reference to the Didact that I can remember in Halo 5. In many ways it's like Halo 4 never happened.
- Whilst there is a very slim chance that this could be turned around in Halo 6, there is a huge cognitive dissonance between Halo 4 and Halo 5 in terms of Cortana and the Chief's relationship. The best thing Halo 4 did narratively is handling Cortana and the Chief. Hoping against hope that Halo 6 can somehow salvage this.

What i'd like to see in Halo 6 gameplay wise:-

+ Lone wolf SINGLE-player campaign. Maybe with some squad elements here and there, but I want the focus to be a great single player campaign.
+ Review the encounter design and try and balance it better. less wave arena combat, that's not really what Halo is about as far as I'm concerned; sure in Halo 1-3 there wer actually waves, but they were designed into the environment and setting much more convincingly - dropships apearring with reinforcements, patrols etc - not just arping in to some random point.
+ More non-robotic enemies. The Created gives me an uncomfortable feeling that we will be getting more robotic enemies. What the Covenant has over the Prometheans is that they are flesh n blood aliens and they were trying to wipe out humanity, so the motivations are clearly established. What is the motivation for the Prometheans? Not clear at all. Again, more like Halo CE, with Covenant, Sentinels and Flood, mix it up a bit, hell even bring the Brutes back if you must! But we need more dynamics in the encounters.
+ Visit a damned Halo. There is still plenty of mystery milage to be had out of the Halo installations. Halo's are constructs after all, and would fit in with the Created theme in some ways, plenty of scope.
+ Give me the Flood. I know some folks hate the Flood, but they are absolutely CORE to Halo, and I for one miss em...

Story-wise:-
+ I hold out the hope that 'Cortana' in Halo 5 is a logic-plague corrupted relative of Mendicant Bias, and will have some kind of link to the Flood, and is NOT really the Cortana that John said goodbye to in Halo 4. It's the only way I can see to get some kind of satisfying resolution. Plus I want to see some kind of Contender class AI in action...
+ Keep It Simple Stupid. Don't get all convoluted, The best Halo narratives execution wise were because the core plot was simple (Halo CE):
Stranded on Alien Ring...
-> Where are we and what the hell is it?
-> It's a Halo and it's got some kind of Super Weapon! We have to find it before the enemy...
-> Shit! There's a worse enemy!! Abandon Ship!!!
-> Let's blow this mother and get the hell out of dodge!

That's 4 main plot events, and most importantly all the gameplay is in service to the those story fulcrums, and they all follow logically. Contrast that with Halo 4 & 5 with all the crap going on, so many threads to keep in flight, with lots of noise and lack of logic.

Regarding the Covenant 'Coming Back', I don't think that makes, sense, not the classic Covenant, but there are plenty of other options:-
+ San-Shyum went off the radar, they could easily return. The Prelate in Shadow of Intent could be a pretty cool villain / enemy.
+ Plenty of scope for Arbiter / Sangheilli to fall out with humanity again, especially in light of Onis shenanigans...
+ Lekgolo - we don't know that much about them to be honest.
+ Brutes - kind of central to the Halo wars 2 story...

All in all i'm still looking forward to Halo 6, but there is a certain amount of trepidation as well.

Great points. SO much potential to like what they wanted to do with Halo 4 and 5, but they just misfired nearly every single time.

I also can't believe that the only explanation for who Blue team is to those who don't already know who they are, is like one squad conversation where one of Osiris says something like "Chief and them go way back" or something to that effect. So annoying.

Trup1aya

I struggle to see why Prometheans intrinsically don't fit.

Well they don't. Core to halos sandbox is the shield+health mechanic. The shields communicate in a very digestible language how close/far the enemy is from death at any moment.. any enemy w/o a shield is one shot from death (except for post CE hunters... which also suck). The weapons were design specifically to manipulate shields and health in different ways.

The entirety of the promethean opposition bucks that system for a straight armor system. Rather than playing a time puzzle to strategically dissipate enemy shields, you just widdle everyone down until they die.

To add insult to injury, the weapons we've grown to love over the last 15 years are largely ineffective against them. So we are forced to use the much less imaginative promethean arsenal- which just ease the armor widdling process by being homing projectiles that do bonus damage to prometheans.

Trup1aya

Lol, so lets just fuck the lore even more than? Holy shit..

And again, we've seen all the Covenant races. With Prometheans they can still think of new designs, and make them fun.

Been waiting for them to be fun got 5 years. Meanwhile covies have been fun for 15 and counting.

Like I said, nothing about the promethean's is fun, the lore nor the gameplay. I don't believe writing them out would fuck the lore any more than writing them in did. If done well it could help the lore.

If they can find a way to make them fun, so me it. But keeping them in for the sake of keeping them in is silly if they are hurting people enjoyment.

Gestault

I've got to say, I also don't understand the high praise for the HW2 story. I've done the campaign twice and couldn't really tell you what happens.

The survivors of the ship from the first game, which lost its FTL drive during the course of those events, are awoken closer to home on a multi-decade voyage when they encounter a Forerunner facility near a human settlement taken over by a Covenant splinter faction that predates the Human-Covenant War. The ship's original smart AI decomissioned herself during the journey, but a colony research (?) AI orients the crew to what happened at the station, and introduces the new enemy, who was strong and clever enough to have survived the military and political strength of the Covenant at its historical peak. They fight. Surviving Spartan II fireteams run disruption operations on the ground and work with regular forces to control the facilities' transportation systems, as it becomes clear that a head-on attack isn't feasible.

I've played the campaign once.

jelly

I'm sure some artefact will get set off and wipe them out in Halo 6 or reintegrate them back into humans, they were humans right, can't remember that lore so there is a new faction that has no place in the Universe as thousands of years have passed since they got composed so post Halo 6 they are back and still super advanced, knowledgable about the Forerunner technology, finding their feet again and trust of the UNSC Human forces isn't a given while ONI try to find their secrets.

Would that be interesting?

So being a non Halo fan, could someone please explain Master Chief's appeal to me? He's always struck me as just another generic space marine
He's the FPS Link and Cortana is Zelda. No personality, all style for the playable character. All the personality goes into their lady sidekick.

Well they don't. Core to halos sandbox is the shield+health mechanic. The shields communicate in a very digestible language how close/far the enemy is from dear at any moment.. any enemy w/o a shield is one shot from death (except for post CE hunters... which also suck). The weapons were design specifically to manipulate shields and health in different ways.

The entirety of the promethean opposition bucks that system for a straight health system. Rather than playing a time puzzle to strategically dissipate enemy shields, tou just widdle everyone down until they die.

To add insult to injury, the weapons we've grown to love over the last 15 years are largely ineffective against them. So we are forced to use the less imaginary promethean arsenal.

These are great points - although 343 made the design of the Knights better in Halo 5 in terms of shwoing the weak spoints and feedback, there is still no technique utilising the weapon set that can make you feel like you felt when taking down a Spec Ops Elite with plasma charge and pistol headshot.

It's those subtle techniques and balance of the encounters that make all the difference, and that is almost entirely lacking from the Prometheans.

At least Halo 5 had less Crawlers and Watchers, but the Soldiers kind of offset that... random teleporting is a shitty assed mechanic IMO....

Gestault

So being a non Halo fan, could someone please explain Master Chief's appeal to me? He's always struck me as just another generic space marine

For me at least, it's the child-solider origin story, that transitions into an equally dark super-soldier storyline. Very little about his stoic military-guy presence in the game is appealing, unless it's in that context.

Then play a different series.

"I want everything to look like Halo but otherwise be totally different!"

If you're not OK with Halo retaining a certain basic continuity with each entry, and you don't want even the base mechanics to carry over to future games, it's time to move on.

Sequels should always aim to deliver more of the same but better. Radical departures from a formula that works should be off the table, at least for numbered entries in a well established series.

I should clarify and say that I don't want Halo to divert into an entirely different sub-genre but I want 343 to examine what made Halo great in the first place, both as a SP and MP game.

The way Breath of the Wild evolves the sense of adventure and discovery of the original Zelda releases in a contemporary game is fantastic and serves as a great example of the kind of thoughtful design, and redesign a long running franchise can do to go back to the best part of its roots while feeling new and exciting.

The mystery and exploratory feel of the original Halo worked extremely well. The setup was simple but the setting was compelling because of the solitude, mystery, and the urgency created by the former two. This didn't hold entirely in Halo 2, and 3 but enough of that remained for the further unraveling of new and interesting developments of the conflicts each game had. Halo 4, and 5 had almost none of this on top of the need for immersion in external media to appreciate the important story beats.

The look and general mechanics of the entire Halo series have been good to great compared to their contemporaries, so that isn't my main complaint of the series current position. Its the setting, characters, enemies, and plot that have bored me.

While I think 343 need to take a long hard look at where they take the story and setting of Halo I feel they've smartly evolved and modernized the multiplayer. The control, weapon balance, TTK, and mobility all feel great in Halo 5. The one exception I have would be the map design. I would love to see a greater diversity in the setting and size of maps but this also ties into my problems with having such a similar setting and story to the Bungie games.

Rarius

I'm fucking terrified of what they're going to do with the Flood if they're willing to redesign Elites to act more like lanky uncoordinated monstrous monkeys who now wear armour that... doesn't even protect their bodies? Why do they now have mandible armour that doesn't cover their now massive mandibles? What?

Or turning Forerunner stuff into floaty glowy crap.

Monocle

I should clarify and say that I don't want Halo to divert into an entirely different sub-genre but I want 343 to examine what made Halo great in the first place, both as a SP and MP game.

The way Breath of the Wild evolves the sense of adventure and discovery of the original Zelda releases in a contemporary game is fantastic and serves as a great example of the kind of thoughtful design, and redesign a long running franchise can do to go back to the best part of its roots while feeling new and exciting.

The mystery and exploratory feel of the original Halo worked extremely well. The setup was simple but the setting was compelling because of the solitude, mystery, and the urgency created by the former two. This didn't hold entirely in Halo 2, and 3 but enough of that remained for the further unraveling of new and interesting developments of the conflicts each game had. Halo 4, and 5 had almost none of this on top of the need for immersion in external media to appreciate the important story beats.

The look and general mechanics of the entire Halo series have been good to great compared to their contemporaries, so that isn't my main complaint of the series current position. Its the setting, characters, enemies, and plot that have bored me.

While I think 343 need to take a long hard look at where they take the story and setting of Halo I feel they've smartly evolved and modernized the multiplayer. The control, weapon balance, TTK, and mobility all feel great in Halo 5. The one exception I have would be the map design. I would love to see a greater diversity in the setting and size of maps but this also ties into my problems with having such a similar setting and story to the Bungie games.
Can't really disagree with this, now that you've highlighted some of my favorite aspects of the series. While Halo 5's campaign had some cool settings, nothing compares to exploring Installation 04's different environments in the first game, in the context of the compelling setup you described.

I'd love for 343 to retain Halo 5's gameplay innovations but really amp up the mystery and the sense of getting your bearings in an ancient imposing place where you don't belong. Maybe drop us onto Forerunner or Precursor worlds, or let us explore some exotic world-sized constructs. Halo 4 tried some of this, to less than great effect.

I agree that the mood and tone and style of the series could be substantially improved. Bungie's Halos still have a lot of design lessons that 343 could learn from.

Vimes

That Nylund post is a gut punch. Who knows if he coulda dug the story out of the hole the franchise is in; but I sure wouldn't have minded seeing him try.

Cranster

Banned
From the Community update....

Check out the latest issue of GamesTM magazine for Frank O’Connor and Kiki Wolfkill’s thoughts on the past, present, and future of the Halo franchise. Frank’s comments about lessons learned from Halo 5’s Campaign seem to have parts of the community in a bit of an uproar. First it’s important to note that there’s a lot of speculation and assumptions being made out there – the next major Halo game hasn’t even been announced let alone any details about what the story may entail. Rest assured that while the studio has received feedback that players wanted to see more of Master Chief in Halo 5, that’s far from the only learnings the team has taken to heart. We are absolutely aware of the sentiment around the disconnects between the game’s marketing vs. what transpired in-game as well as issues such as the lack of splitscreen functionality, to name a few examples, and are always striving to learn and improve going forward. We’ll have plenty more to say when the time is right.

OgCarnage

Banned
personally I don't mind the addition of new characters they just have to do a better job of the backstoryies and how the characters are introduced into the game cannon. not everyone reads the books.

I seem to remember 343 making vaguely similar comments about Halo 4's story. Sorry guys, we learned a lot, we'll get it right next time...

We’ll have plenty more to say when the time is right.
You mean after everyone has forgotten what they said

Reminds me of their response to TMCC.
Before the responses stopped.

Monocle

Lol you fell for that? Adding a couple randomly placed destructible walls that all lead to the same are isn't particularly impressive or multitiered level design.
I'm not talking about the silly destructible walls or hallways that lead to the same place, lol. Many of the larger areas have 3+ levels and a ton of geometry you can climb on, with lots of split paths and sunken corridors.

See: the giant hangar in Mission 2, the gated base at the beginning of Mission 3, etc. The level design is a huge step up from Halo 4's, there's no getting around it. I've been playing Halo campaigns since the original. I didn't dream up the environmental variety.

Cranster

Banned
I'm not talking about the silly destructible walls or hallways that lead to the same place, lol. Many of the larger areas have 3+ levels and a ton of geometry you can climb on, with lots of split paths and sunken corridors.

See: the giant hangar in Mission 2, the gated base at the beginning of Mission 3, etc. The level design is a huge step up from Halo 4's, there's no getting around it. I've been playing Halo campaigns since the original. I didn't dream up the environmental variety.
Yeah I don't understand how anyone can find Halo 4's ultra linear campaign stages better than Halo 5's campaign stages.

But HTT was incredible.

HTT created a pretty warped concept of my expectations for Halo 5. HTT set this mental tone I was totally down with then Halo 5 just kinda wasn't comparable ¯_(ツ)_/¯ . More HTT is always welcome though.

From the Community update....
"the next major Halo game hasn’t even been announced let alone any details about what the story may entail. "

All I hope for story-wise is that they don't put important story elements in separate apps, videos, and novels.

Please just allow us to get to know the characters within the game. Please.

Cranster

Banned
All I hope for story-wise is that they don't put important story elements in separate apps, videos, and novels.

Please just allow us to get to know the characters within the game. Please.
Or at the very least include an in-game codex like Halo Wars 2 and Mass effect. But I would prefer actual information being delivered via cinema scenes and some character dialogue.

AlStrong

It's too bad they did not continue with the CEA library codex. If anything, they could show off their model assets in a controlled environment.

m23

The survivors of the ship from the first game, which lost its FTL drive during the course of those events, are awoken closer to home on a multi-decade voyage when they encounter a Forerunner facility near a human settlement taken over by a Covenant splinter faction that predates the Human-Covenant War. The ship's original smart AI decomissioned herself during the journey, but a colony research (?) AI orients the crew to what happened at the station, and introduces the new enemy, who was strong and clever enough to have survived the military and political strength of the Covenant at its historical peak. They fight. Surviving Spartan II fireteams run disruption operations on the ground and work with regular forces to control the facilities' transportation systems, as it becomes clear that a head-on attack isn't feasible.

I've played the campaign once.

Some people either don't pay attention at all while playing or want to blame the game. The game's story is so simple yet engaging which made it great. Every story doesn't have to be about saving the universe.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I struggle to see why Prometheans intrinsically don't fit.

I think (actually I know, because obviously we have data, research and common sense) some folks hope for sandbox balance like less redundancy of purpose (are Knights just quasi-Elites, for example only, that's not my feeling per se) and more satisfactory encounters, even when trivial (Crawlers are fun to headshot, but merely distract from more important encounters or pathways - or flying enemies should not disrupt strafing and infantry combat unless there's a moment of focus or real purpose - and weapons to suit) etc etc. In that regard, there are always sandbox complaints, ideas and improvements for any species, new or old.

I don't think "sandbox suitability" is any less relevant a subjective complaint than say, audio feedback. It's all perfectly valid. The team's job is to improve, edit, overhaul and sometimes remove aspects between iterations.

And no, I don't write the story. Last story I wrote plot, synopsis, dialog and screenplay for (it was changed and no doubt markedly improved after I left) was Reach. But yes, I bear plenty of responsibility for that stuff and in fact a lot more so going forward. so it's fine to blame me for stuff. Game writers have the thankless task of creating compelling stories while everything in a production constantly changes and evolves around them for reasons unrelated to narrative, and it's an unenviable position that's seldom fully understood.

Gestault

I think (actually I know, because obviously we have data, research and common sense) some folks hope for sandbox balance like less redundancy of purpose (are Knights just quasi-Elites, for example only, that's not my feeling per se) and more satisfactory encounters, even when trivial (Crawlers are fun to headshot, but merely distract from more important encounters or pathways - or flying enemies should not disrupt strafing and infantry combat unless there's a moment of focus or real purpose - and weapons to suit) etc etc. In that regard, there are always sandbox complaints, ideas and improvements for any species, new or old.

I don't think "sandbox suitability" is any less relevant a subjective complaint than say, audio feedback. It's all perfectly valid. The team's job is to improve, edit, overhaul and sometimes remove aspects between iterations.

I think people who want all enemy types to just be analogues for existing enemy types shouldn't be listened to at this point in a franchise, assuming both the original and divergent types have well-balanced presense in campaign (and Firefight).

I think people who want all enemy types to just be analogues for existing enemy types shouldn't be listened to at this point in a franchise, assuming both the original and divergent types have well-balanced presense in campaign (and Firefight).

I dont agree. For the mostpart, i found the Promethean less fun to fight not because they were different, but because it just wasnt as clear cut to fight them compared to elites.

The franchise has gotten us used to mostly "just shoot them" mentality for more than a decade. With the exception of Hunters in Halo CE, you can go though the game just shooting and youll probably get through it fine.

With these new enemies, you have to often hit them in a specific spot or else youll run out of ammo. In halo4, i often ran out of ammo because i wasnt hitting them in their glowy spots. Thats not fun. Then you have the ones that rebuild the dead enemies and provide shields to them (forgot the names), and it just makes for a much more complicated battles when your always out of ammo.

Im not saying that more complex battles is inherently bad, but when a franchise gets us used to just shoot em, then adds all these new elements that ultimately arent as fun as before, then i dont see that as a positive addition.

Gestault

I dont agree. For the mostpart, i found the Promethean less fun to fight not because they were different, but because it just wasnt as clear cut to fight them compared to elites.

The franchise has gotten us used to mostly "just shoot them" mentality for more than a decade. With the exception of Hunters in Halo CE, you can go though the game just shooting and youll probably get through it fine.

With these new enemies, you have to often hit them in a specific spot or else youll run out of ammo. In halo4, i often ran out of ammo because i wasnt hitting them in their glowy spots. Thats not fun. Then you have the ones that rebuild the dead enemies and provide shields to them (forgot the names), and it just makes for a much more complicated battles when your always out of ammo.

Im not saying that more complex battles is inherently bad, but when a franchise gets us used to just shoot em, then adds all these new elements that ultimately arent as fun as before, then i dont see that as a positive addition.

Respectfully, your point is that you want enemies that just fall over when you put enough bullets in them, but that's not even in the spirit of Halo 1 enemy design, let alone what's best almost two decades into that franchise. I know you're not alone saying you want (in effect) more of the same. I think that's lazy and boring. And it's fine if we disagree, but Halo was interesting when it was new partly because it had well developed and varied enemy weak spots (and hard-spots), that required different strategies on the higher difficulty settings.

Respectfully, your point is that you want enemies that just fall over when you put enough bullets in them, but that's not even in the spirit of Halo 1 enemy design, let alone what's best almost two decades into that franchise. I know you're not alone saying you want (in effect) more of the same. I think that's lazy and boring. And it's fine if we disagree, but Halo was interesting when it was new partly because it had well developed and varied enemy weak spots (and hard-spots), that required different strategies on the higher difficulty settings.

Thats my point. Halo never had a lot of 'weak spot' enemies other than the hunters in CE that were eventually changed. And like it or not, the 'run and gun' design of halo made it a lot more accessible.

LordOfChaos

And no, I don't write the story. Last story I wrote plot, synopsis, dialog and screenplay for (it was changed and no doubt markedly improved after I left) was Reach. But yes, I bear plenty of responsibility for that stuff and in fact a lot more so going forward. so it's fine to blame me for stuff. Game writers have the thankless task of creating compelling stories while everything in a production constantly changes and evolves around them for reasons unrelated to narrative, and it's an unenviable position that's seldom fully understood.

Saint's Testimony was nice. I wonder if more branches of halo could explore inter-AI discussion.

Cranster

Banned
Thats my point. Halo never had a lot of 'weak spot' enemies other than the hunters in CE that were eventually changed. And like it or not, the 'run and gun' design of halo made it a lot more accessible.
There were the Halo 2 Brutes aswell which were an instant kill with a Carbine, BR and Sniper Rifle after you shot away their helmets.

Gestault

The diveted gauntlet shields on the Jackals, tanks on the Grunts (and their "hoods" blocking headshots from some angles), and obviously the Hunters' backs were basically half the covenant types, and the recharding shield dynamic on the Elites played into its own strategy, especially if you weren't using energy weapons to take it down before going in with normal human weapons. H2 added in specific one-shots on all difficulties for Brutes. In fact, the original H2 Brute designs were criticized because they were more simplistic bullet-sponge enemy types, compared to the more nuanced designs of the original. Halo 2 multiplayer even added things like the left-hand side tank on the warthog that would destroy it in way fewer shots if you had the angle.

I'm sorry to say, I think you're wrong.

Trup1aya

I complaint about the new enemies... but this isn't want I want at all.

I just want enemies that are fun to fight and have behaviors that are fun to manipulate using the established sandbox principles

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

Stinkles, from what you describe, it seems like the encounter design process is driven by data. How can you guys innovate? Innovations often contradict data.

Top Bottom