• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

LosDaddie

Banned
Frankfurt said:
Thanks, I appreciate it.

he's correct because I did exactly that when I upgraded to my 250GB X360S over the holidays. Everything was how it was on my old 20GB X360. Game saves, DLC, XBLA games, videos, and even my ripped CDs (custom soundtracks)...it was all there like before.

The only thing you'll need to do is re-download all your DLC/XBLA so that you can access it if you're disconnected from XBL.

LosDaddie

Banned
tsigo said:
Well you can try this and you might not have to. I didn't bother because I'm always online.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Support/LicenseMigration/Home

No, you have to....if you want to be able to access your content while offline. An easy way to check is just unplug the ethernet cord, manually disconnecting from XBL and see if your XBLA games are trials or not. I'm always online too, but it was more of a "Why Not?" scenario for me. Why wouldn't I want access to my games/DLC anytime I want?

The license migration was easy, and all I did was queue all my stuff to DL overnight while I slept.

evil ways

Are disc read errors a common occurence on the slim?

Just had a scary episode where my Alan Wake disc kept saying it couldn't be read and on the third try it just booted it up as a DVD. The dashboard even displayed "Play Dvd" as the only option. I just turned the xbox off then back on and everything was fine.

Both the game and console are brand new (xmas presents) so I'm hoping it was just a rare 1 time thing.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
evil ways said:

Just had a scary episode where my Alan Wake disc kept saying it couldn't be read and on the third try it just booted it up as a DVD. The dashboard even displayed "Play Dvd" as the only option. I just turned the xbox off then back on and everything was fine.

Both the game and console are brand new (xmas presents) so I'm hoping it was just a rare 1 time thing.

I had that happen to me once when I first got mine (~July?), hasn't happened again. My disc was Halo 3.

Frankfurt

Banned
More noob questions:

Can i download from Live from multiple adresses, or only one? The town i work (and play) in has god-awful internet, so i was wondering if i can update and download DLC when i go to my folks and/or my friend's (in another town).

What about dynamic IPs?

Do those things matter at all when using Live?

Also, are Slims BC-compatible right out of the box, or only after downloading an update (i hear you need the HDD too, correct?)?

Thanks!

Sagitario

Yes, you can download from multiples address, that doesn't matter so don't worry about it.

The BC files are in the HDD... so, as long as you have a HDD, all the Slims, Cores, etc. have BC.

Frankfurt

Banned
Sagitario said:
Yes, you can download from multiples address, that doesn't matter so don't worry about it.

The BC files are in the HDD... so, as long as you have a HDD, all the Slims, Cores, etc. have BC.

Thanks, that's a great help.

Curufinwe

evil ways said:

I got my Slim in September and haven't had any disc read errors, but I installed all my disc-based games to the hard drive before I started playing them.

Ok I think I'm ready to move over.
But I have a few questions:

1. I have a jasper 360 with a 250 gig hard drive.
2. I have a transfer kit.
3. I have a new 360 250 gig slim.
4. Read everything their is to know about the DRM/License on the xbox platform.

Q's:

1. What is the best way to move over if you have A LOT or rock band songs?
2. Does stuff like; EA licenses (online pass) and Rock Band licenses move over?
Or is that part of the DRM tool also?
3. Do you still have to INDIVIDUALLY License stuff over 1 by 1 or can you do it in one "dump" say:
"Move my License over to the new xbox all at once".

Thanks in advance everyone! :)

The Dutch Slayer said:
Ok I think I'm ready to move over.
But I have a few questions:

1. I have a jasper 360 with a 250 gig hard drive.
2. I have a transfer kit.
3. I have a new 360 250 gig slim.
4. Read everything their is to know about the DRM/License on the xbox platform.

Q's:

1. What is the best way to move over if you have A LOT or rock band songs?
2. Does stuff like; EA licenses (online pass) and Rock Band licenses move over?
Or is that part of the DRM tool also?
3. Do you still have to INDIVIDUALLY License stuff over 1 by 1 or can you do it in one "dump" say:
"Move my License over to the new xbox all at once".

Thanks in advance everyone! :)

1. Trasfer cable will move everything.
2. Rock Band is DLC and will be seen as part of the DRM thing. I think EA Licenses is account based
3. Nope - http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/06/26/content-license-transfer-tool-aka-the-drm-tool.aspx - will move all of your offline licenses to your new machine. Simple and fast.

ZROCOOL said:
Ima ask here, since I don't wanna make a thread about it.

But how's the built in wifi?

iirc, it's a wireless N adapter like the one you can buy in a store, but hooked up internally to the motherboard.

tsigo

KingJ2002 said:
what is the trade in value for an old 360 Elite? from a place like GameStop?

When I called GameStop in like January the guy said the'd stopped buying non-slim 360s, period. I sold my old 20GB Pro 360 to Amazon for $70.

Gamestop is offering an extra $25 credit towards hardware trade-ins. They usually go for about $70 so you'll probably be able to get $95 for an old Elite.

I need some opinions guys.

I bought one of these things on Monday to replace my 60 GB pro. The thing is it's clearly irrefutably louder than my PS3 which is one of the older 80GB models.

What's bothering me the most is the sound of the fan is a whir rather than a hum. Once I tune into it I can't stop noticing it. It drives me mad during the quieter sections of Red Dead Redemption.

I don't recall my 60GB making this same noise, or maybe I'm looking at it fondly in retrospect.

Anyone else experience this?

benita

Banned
My slim has stopped 'dinging' when I power it on or open/close the tray. Is there a setting i've accidentally changed?

toasty_T said:

I bought one of these things on Monday to replace my 60 GB pro. The thing is it's clearly irrefutably louder than my PS3 which is one of the older 80GB models.

What's bothering me the most is the sound of the fan is a whir rather than a hum. Once I tune into it I can't stop noticing it. It drives me mad during the quieter sections of Red Dead Redemption.

I don't recall my 60GB making this same noise, or maybe I'm looking at it fondly in retrospect.

Mine's really quiet. Take it back and exchange it.

toasty_T said:

Is it the xbox fan or the transformer fan?

tsigo said:
When I called GameStop in like January the guy said the'd stopped buying non-slim 360s, period. I sold my old 20GB Pro 360 to Amazon for $70.

I just noticed the price on Amazon for the 20GB 360 is $120.xx. That's much higher than I thought, and I'm actually kind of tempted to get rid of the thing to put towards a future 3DS as I bought the Final Fantasy XIII to replace it when I found a deal on that.

lucius

I have my Slim for about 2 months and today I noticed after shutting it down it kicked into high gear(I think the fan might have been disc drive) louder than I ever heard it, did this for maybe 10 secs then stopped. Anyone ever have anything like this happen?

DoomGyver

So I'm going to pickup a new 360 slim here in the next couple of weeks and I've been out of the 360 loop for a couple of years now and have a couple questions. Does the 360 w/ 250gb hard drive also have the 4gb internal flash memory? or does the 4gb memory just come with the 199 arcade? Also, if I go with the arcade and buy a 16gb flash drive I can install disc games on the flash drive correct?

Any recommendations for a fast flash drive in the 16-20gb range that works well with the 360?

Full Recovery said:
Any recommendations for a fast flash drive in the 16-20gb range that works well with the 360?
I have this one and it works great for my needs-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W1RV0Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It is really fast, as advertised, and it has a rubber skin. Really well made product and glad I got it.
I don't know if this helps, but I believe you can also use any size bigger than 16, but it will only allow you up to 16 gig limit for storage or something.

Frankfurt

Banned
I'm super late (only have Live access when i travel to my folks'), but, with the latest update, are the Dashboard sounds really low for anyone else?

The Dashboard SFX are noticeably lower than they were before, even worse compared to the in-game SFX. If i keep the volume on a decent level for the games, i can't even hear the Dashboard at all. I have to put my ear in the speakers so i can hear them. Is the new Dashboard 5.1? I have stereo speakers (and don't see any option to choose between 2.0 and 5.1 - only see an option for Digital Audio Enabled or Disabled).

Thanks!

surly

Banned
Frankfurt said:
I'm super late (only have Live access when i travel to my folks'), but, with the latest update, are the Dashboard sounds really low for anyone else?!
Yep, they're low for me too. I've got 2 360s, a 360 S and a Super Elite and it's the same on both, so I assume it's the same for everyone.

Sound for me is the other way around, my speakers can be normal but when someone logs in I get a huge beep noise, might just me my speakers.

IrrelevantNotch said:
Is it the xbox fan or the transformer fan?
I figured out that it was the power supply with it's tiny fan spinning at 10k RPM. The thing sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

I tried to exchange the console but the place where I bought it thought they'd test it first. The dude tested it with an uninstalled game so the disc drive was going off. I'm sure he was unable to distinguish between the the sound of the drive and the power supply. That and his opinion was colored by how loud the older units are which he admitted to owning during a bit of small talk. So I found myself with the same console I took in.

I ended up talking to MS support and they told me to send it the PSU which I did a little over a week after purchase.

surly

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Does the 360 w/ 250gb hard drive also have the 4gb internal flash memory?
Nope.

does the 4gb memory just come with the 199 arcade?
Yep.

Also, if I go with the arcade and buy a 16gb flash drive I can install disc games on the flash drive correct?
Yep.

I don't use a USB stick for game installs, but my sister's boyfriend asked me to get a 16GB stick for him (he didn't know what to buy) and I picked up a Transcend Jetflash 600 which works great with the 360. I don't know if it's the best choice in that price range, but it's fast and here in the UK it was well priced.

herod

Hey guys, this is a big thread. Can you use AV cables off the old 360 on the new ones?

What about vice versa? New cables on the old 360 models?

Fox Mulder

herod said:
Hey guys, this is a big thread. Can you use AV cables off the old 360 on the new ones?

What about vice versa? New cables on the old 360 models?

Yes, the the AV cables are the same, but the power supply has a different connector to the console.

gar3

How likely is a new bigger HDD? A 250 for $90 now is tempting.
I'd say an official 500GB HDD is all but coming now since the price drop for the 250GB HDD. If it is coming we'd probably learn more about it around e3 but Microsoft could be gearing up for a "spring" Xbox 360 refresh soon to lead into e3 ahead of time. Since this is Microsoft we are talking about though I would expect the 500GB HDD to be priced at least at $130. Is waiting worth it to you to spend an extra $40 for double the storage?

Y'know, I just bought a Final Fantasy XIII bundle back in like September, so the thing is oly a little over 6 months old. But I was in K-Mart today, I saw this guy in the case, and my self-control just snapped, mostly because I didn't know when I'd ever see one in a store again.

KvqOl.jpg

Ironically I just bought the stand-alone Reach controller like last Friday.

Frankfurt

Banned
Got the Gears Triple Pack, and when i went to download the map packs from Gears 2 (which are on the goddamn COVER as part of the triple pack) i get "this content can't be downloaded from your location".

WHAT

THE

FUCK

Wow, Microsoft. Wow.

I'm looking for a 4 to 8GB USB Flash Drive that I can dump my gamertag and saves onto so I can use it in either 360 in the house or bring to friends/relatives places. Is there a preferred brand to go with or should just about anything be fine these days?

LosDaddie

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Gamestop is offering an extra $25 credit towards hardware trade-ins. They usually go for about $70 so you'll probably be able to get $95 for an old Elite.

Nah, it's $60 for the old X360. I know this because when I bought my X360S in Dec., I was able to get $85 for my old X360....with the extra $25 trade-in credit. So I essentially got my X360S for $215, plus with 2 games I wanted to play. I think I got a good deal.

Also, someone mentioned how loud and, thus, distracting the X360 can be, and that's what ultimately drove me to buy the X360S. Even when not playing a game (like watching Netflix), I could hear the fans spinning. Bugged the shit outta me

Top Bottom