• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

malfcn said:
How likely is a new bigger HDD? A 250 for $90 now is tempting.

Wow, just did a google search and it does seem like the price dropped down to about ~$90. Still not worth it just to drop loading times by a few seconds and play firefight on Halo: Reach but it's approaching being reasonable.

After 3 years I finally traded in my old Elite for the new 360 with a 250GB HDD and I have a big problem. My power brick makes too much damn noise.

One of my friends recently got a 4GB 360, which I was playing on at the weekend. So I do have a direct comparison as to how much noise the power supply should be making.

I already transfered all my licences to the new machine, so I don't want to exchange everything by taking it back to the shop. I'm on a weeks holiday from the 4th April and am not going away, so i'd already planned to play some games, mainly the ones I got on sale at christmas. How much hassle can I expect in asking Microsoft for a replacement and how long would it take?

lucius

So I bought the 2 year extra warranty for the Slim from Microsoft they said they would send me a hard copy of the warranty in the mail but I forgot to ask how long it would take, it has been like 3 weeks since they charged my credit card, anyone know how long it takes them to send out the warranty?

I am sure everything is on file, but they don't send out confirmation emails with the warranty info like Sony did with the 2 year warranty I bought from them.

Futureman

You guys think it's worth it to wait until E3 to buy a 360?

I was looking at either buying the 4GB or 250GB system. It looks like you guys are saying it's possible they bump the HD space up?

Not in any rush right now but my GF and I decided we wanted a 360 due to some sweet XBL Arcade titles we were looking at and of course older titles that are pretty damn cheap now.

Moobabe

From the Cheap Ass thread - 360 250 gig slim is £150 quid on amazon. I'm thinking of getting it - but do I want 12 month gold OR points? I only see myself getting cheap games first - Halo 3, Reach and Gears 1 and 2 and then a bunch on XBLA games.

LQX

Slayer-33 said:
Wat

WAT

Oh my fucking god this is perfect for my triple screen FM 4 setup! Jump on this shit, 3 free copies!

Where is it showing it though I don't see the deal on my iPod i wonder If I can order 3 and get $50 per
I think it may be your iPod, it's still there in bold bright orange. It should also say it on the order page. Read the disclaimer to see if there is a limit.

Futureman

Best Buy has a free $50 gift card for the 4GB 360 this week (I guess it ends today).

I went to Best Buy thinking I may spring for the 3DS. Once I saw a new 360 for $150, my 3DS plans were put on the back burner.

So far I got Super Meat Boy and Limbo. I think I have 1,600 points left. I'll probably get Beyond Good and Evil and maybe Rez HD?

Gonna pick up Red Dead Redemption with the gift card once I beat all the games I currently am going through.

Quixzlizx

When I saw the Bestbuy/Amazon deal, I considered buying a Slim. Can anyone answer these questions about it?

1. Does it still come with an ethernet cable, or do they assume that everyone will be using the WiFi?

2. What exactly is compatible HDD-wise? I know that WD 2.5" drives are OK, but I'm not certain about the enclosure I'd need. I'd feel like a grade-A sucker paying non-clearance prices for a Microsoft peripheral.

3. Do the Slims overheat like the older ones? I'd be putting it in a cabinet with not a ton of headroom, although the front will always be open.

4. How do licenses work on multiple consoles for stuff like XBLA games? Can I copy using a HDD transfer cable, or only move from one console to another?

Thanks.

LQX

Quixzlizx said:
When I saw the Bestbuy/Amazon deal, I considered buying a Slim. Can anyone answer these questions about it?

1. Does it still come with an ethernet cable, or do they assume that everyone will be using the WiFi?

2. What exactly is compatible HDD-wise? I know that WD 2.5" drives are OK, but I'm not certain about the enclosure I'd need. I'd feel like a grade-A sucker paying non-clearance prices for a Microsoft peripheral.

3. Do the Slims overheat like the older ones? I'd be putting it in a cabinet with not a ton of headroom, although the front will always be open.

4. How do licenses work on multiple consoles for stuff like XBLA games? Can I copy using a HDD transfer cable, or only move from one console to another?

Thanks.

1. No ethernet cable.

2. You can buy a bigger hard drive for the older 360, then crack it open and put it in a slim hard drive enclosure. Not sure if any regular 2.5 can be used though.

3. Very rare to hear Slims are over heating but if you are putting it in a cabinet keep in mind the biggest vents are on top.

4. There are easy easy steps to transfer license to a new console. Yes you can copy using HDD transfer cable.

my slim turned itself off for the first time today, no warnings or beeps just an instant off, unable to turn it back on.

Felt the power brick and it was real hot, going to blame english weather for being warm today and making it hotter then normal, I just hope it comes on again once cooled :/

For those of you with the Matte Finish: Does it scratch easily?

I have the Halo edition and I'm a bit nervous that the USB door's gonna get fucked up over repeated usage is all.

Has there been any conclusive evidence that it is better to keep the slim horizontal? I have mine vertical since it's the only way I can fit it in my unit, but I ant piece of mind that it's not going to RROD on me.

canadian crowe said:
Has there been any conclusive evidence that it is better to keep the slim horizontal? I have mine vertical since it's the only way I can fit it in my unit, but I ant piece of mind that it's not going to RROD on me.
I would assume you get better ventilation with it standing vertical. However, if it's still stuck within a small, enclosed space, as your post somewhat suggests, that might not make much difference. If possible, try to keep your console in a more open environment where it won't be building up so much heat.

Typographenia said:
I would assume you get better ventilation with it standing vertical. However, if it's still stuck within a small, enclosed space, as your post somewhat suggests, that might not make much difference. If possible, try to keep your console in a more open environment where it won't be building up so much heat.

Thanks. By unit, I meant computer desk, but it's not big enough for my monitor and a horizontal system. Since all of Microsoft's marketing material is of the system placed vertical I shouldn't even by questioning it, but then again they have a lousy track record this gen.

So my 360 slim broke after about 4 days of operation. It is giving me disc read errors constantly. I have no idea what caused it, since I barely played it.

So anybody know if EB Canada will let me exchange it. When they tried to sell me the warranty they said if there were problems I would have to send it to Microsoft, but I figured they meant after months, not 4 days.

storl026

canadian crowe said:
So my 360 slim broke after about 4 days of operation. It is giving me disc read errors constantly. I have no idea what caused it, since I barely played it.

So anybody know if EB Canada will let me exchange it. When they tried to sell me the warranty they said if there were problems I would have to send it to Microsoft, but I figured they meant after months, not 4 days.

That will be covered by their 30-day exchange policy for defective merchandise. If they say no, tell them you'd like to hear it from a manager.

They were trying to sell you a store warranty and feed you a line about "needing to send it to Microsoft" because warranties are (usually) pure profit for them.

storl026 said:
That will be covered by their 30-day exchange policy for defective merchandise. If they say no, tell them you'd like to hear it from a manager.

They were trying to sell you a store warranty and feed you a line about "needing to send it to Microsoft" because warranties are (usually) pure profit for them.

Thanks. I am a regular at the store, so I'm on good terms with the manager. I have no idea what killed it though. Maybe I installed too many games at once, or maybe because it had it vertical.

I bought a slim today and I can't believe how quiet it is compared to my old one from 2007 which sounded like a vacuum cleaner basically.
This one is almost totally silent.

Almost worth the price just to get rid that droning sound.

I'm yet to understand the metric that people are using to equate the noise output of the machine as 'silent'
not calling out anyone

The console is indeed surprisingly quiet, but the PSU isn't going by the two I've used. If anyone could bother to do this and I'd greatly appreciate it; get the power supply as far away from the console as possible so the console fan doesn't skew your hearing and comment on the sound level of the PSU after playing a game for an hour or so.

The one I have now isn't unbearable (bit quieter than my old Jasper) but I'd prefer a silent one if such a thing exists. I don't have the option of hiding it behind any furniture.

toasty_T said:
I'm yet to understand the metric that people are using to equate the noise output of the machine as 'silent'
not calling out anyone

The console is indeed surprisingly quiet, but the PSU isn't going by the two I've used. If anyone could bother to do this and I'd greatly appreciate it; get the power supply as far away from the console as possible so the console fan doesn't skew your hearing and comment on the sound level of the PSU after playing a game for an hour or so.

The one I have now isn't unbearable (bit quieter than my old Jasper) but I'd prefer a silent one if such a thing exists. I don't have the option of hiding it behind any furniture.

if you look at the marketing, it specifies that the system is "whisper quiet," which it is!

But the PSU definitely isn't...very clever. My system also has a PSU that made noise. It's not loud compared to other systems, but it isn't silent.

That is some devious shit haha.

My brick goes into overdrive when I'm playing Reach but otherwise it's pretty quiet. The only other 360 I've owned was a Jasper so I'm probably not as wooed as other people moving up from older models would be.

toasty_T said:
not calling out anyone

I don't think your console is abnormal, I just think people are coming at this from different frames of reference. When I say my slim is quiet, I'm comparing it to my "launch" 360 (red-ring x3) and my launch PS3. The PS3, in particular, sounds like a jet engine when compared to the slim, and will ramp up its fans when simply idling. The 360 S never does that.

Just had my Xbox 360 Slim and HDTV stolen.

z5eJo.jpg

Tried to remove credit card info from my xbox live account so it could still possibly log on and maybe hit a server so they can find the bastard. Too bad Microsoft won't let you remove all credit card info so I just changed my password :/ Grrrr

The only good thing is that they only took the first disc of LA Noire (in the system.) Man, are they going to be disappointed when they found out it has three other discs.

Buzzati

Banned
Lamiafusion said:
Just had my Xbox 360 Slim and HDTV stolen.

z5eJo.jpg

Tried to remove credit card info from my xbox live account so it could still possibly log on and maybe hit a server so they can find the bastard. Too bad Microsoft won't let you remove all credit card info so I just changed my password :/ Grrrr

The only good thing is that they only took the first disc of LA Noire (in the system.) Man, are they going to be disappointed when they found out it has three other discs.

Doesn't Microsoft have your online profile matched to your Xbox's serial number? If the person who stole it goes online with it, wouldn't it be trackable?

I just talked to support and they say they do have a way of tracing it so *fingers crossed* I hope the people who stole it are stupid enough to take it online.

Also, my password is changed now so they shouldn't be able to log in as me if they connected to Live. Hopefully, the system is flagged now.

just bought one of these - any tips on the license transfer process, removing files from my HD, etc? If I don't are about my savegames, no need to backup files right?

As long as my profile allows me to DL all of my DLC and games, then I can just do the license transfer, correct?

btw, got it from amazon deal o the day with the 100 dollar credit.

oh- one more question - any reason why I shouldn't buy one of these? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GX4864/?tag=neogaf0e-20 reviews seem to be kosher.

duk

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
Y'know, I just bought a Final Fantasy XIII bundle back in like September, so the thing is oly a little over 6 months old. But I was in K-Mart today, I saw this guy in the case, and my self-control just snapped, mostly because I didn't know when I'd ever see one in a store again.

KvqOl.jpg

Ironically I just bought the stand-alone Reach controller like last Friday.

wow that is pretty sexy

elrechazao said:
just bought one of these - any tips on the license transfer process, removing files from my HD, etc? If I don't are about my savegames, no need to backup files right?

As long as my profile allows me to DL all of my DLC and games, then I can just do the license transfer, correct?

btw, got it from amazon deal o the day with the 100 dollar credit.

oh- one more question - any reason why I shouldn't buy one of these? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GX4864/?tag=neogaf0e-20 reviews seem to be kosher.
anyone?

I bought a "fake" 250gb drive and it worked just fine.

As for the rest, I'd personally use the HDD transfer cable before running the license transfer app... you might be surprised just how much crap there is to download.

K' Dash

Guys I'm about to buy one of these, is there any way I can transfer ALL my DLC and saves to the new HDD? it has to be quick I already sold my old Elite and have until tomorrow to transfer everything.

Whta worries me is all the Rock Band DLC, also I had Rock Band 1 & 2 songs on RB3.

bananas

Banned
K' Dash said:
Guys I'm about to buy one of these, is there any way I can transfer ALL my DLC and saves to the new HDD? it has to be quick I already sold my old Elite and have until tomorrow to transfer everything.

Whta worries me is all the Rock Band DLC, also I had Rock Band 1 & 2 songs on RB3.

The transfer cable is your best bet.

If you can't get that, then transfer your saves over by USB and then you'll have to redownload all your DLC and stuff from your download history. It's a pain in the ass, but you need to do that after you transfer your licenses because it won't carry over by just moving them on a USB device.

K' Dash

bananas said:
The transfer cable is your best bet.

If you can't get that, then transfer your saves over by USB and then you'll have to redownload all your DLC and stuff from your download history. It's a pain in the ass, but you need to do that after you transfer your licenses because it won't carry over by just moving them on a USB device.

Fuck, I'll have to choose what to transfer then :-/

bananas

Banned
K' Dash said:
Fuck, I'll have to choose what to transfer then :-/
You can redownload everything, it'll just take you a couple hours. I'm pretty sure when I did it, I queued most of it up on Xbox.com. And I had a lot of Rock Band DLC.

Just make sure you do the license transfer first. http://www.xbox.com/drm

clav

Quixzlizx said:
When you transfer a license to a new 360, what happens to your ability to play your games on the old one?
You just need to be signed in Xbox Live to use those games.

The license just allows them to play offline.

Frankfurt

Banned
I have a 4GB Slim with a non-Microsoft 250GB HDD. can I play the BC XBox 1 games? Will it prompt me to download an update? Do I need to already have the update installed beforehand? Can I even use it in a non-Microsoft HDD?

Thanks!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
hayguyz said:
I'll be getting my very first XBOX 360 in a couple of days. Does it include an HDMI cable, or do I need to buy one?
You probably do, hop on amazon and get 3 cables for $7 or so, I grabbed that sort of deal many months ago.

Has anyone had problems connecting to Xbox Live on their 360s?

I'm thinking about buying a Slim because I've had tons of trouble connecting as of late.

Don't know if it's Comcast being Comcast or my Xbox being on it's last leg.

Buckethead said:
Has anyone had problems connecting to Xbox Live on their 360s?

I'm thinking about buying a Slim because I've had tons of trouble connecting as of late.

Don't know if it's Comcast being Comcast or my Xbox being on it's last leg.

Honestly, I have as well. Using the WiFi adapter.

hey there are some pretty great deals on the slim 360 over here and I am thinking of jumping in over the weekend. Got some questions.

the slim doesn't come with a HDMI cable correct?

and how does XBL work with pre paid visa cards. If I buy 12 months of gold on a pre paid visa and the visa expires in 3 months will that effect anything. I hear that MS might susspend my account until I input another valid card.. that would be a hassle.

I ask because I have no real interest in GOLD since I got a ps3 with most of my freinds on PSN but if they ever do another 1 euro per month deal I could jump on it with a pre paid credit card.

whats the deal with the 360 controller? does it come with a rechargeable battery pack, is that extra or can I just use a usb cable or something?

Top Bottom