• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

HeySeuss

1. No hdmi cable included. Comes with component cables.

2. I'm pretty sure Microsoft does periodic checks to see if the credit cards are valid. They caught my card expires a few weeks after I got my new card.

3. No rechargeable controllers out of the box, no usb cord to recharge it either. Takes AA batteries. There is a controller you can buy separate that uses a recharge pack though.

As for the live, I would suggest buying a gold card at the store or through Amazon when they discount them. Then you don't need to input a credit card at all.

zeelman

Frankfurt said:
I have a 4GB Slim with a non-Microsoft 250GB HDD. can I play the BC XBox 1 games? Will it prompt me to download an update? Do I need to already have the update installed beforehand? Can I even use it in a non-Microsoft HDD?

Thanks!

Does it have the Xbox partition? You need that to play original Xbox games.

Thanks for the help.

They do sell some play and charge kit... I assume thats a rechargable battery pack.. Ill just get that.

well I would probably leave live until a deal comes along or Forza 4 comes out... which ever comes first. are you still unable to remove your CC info without calling them and maybe getting your account suspended?

hayguyz

Banned
If I have the voice communication to come through headset, and the headset is not plugged in, does it come through the TV or do I hear noone?

FunkyPajamas said:
Stop clapping when the good guy kicks the bad guy's ass.
Happens like once every 30 min or so, often at the same point, so I assume voice commands for netflix are coming through the kinect and screwing with my movies. Also, I boo and hiss at villains.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
brotkasten said:
Any news about a price drop at GamesCom?
There's a matte 250GB coming out and the 250GB and Kinect bundles are being re-issued. Not sure if they're dropping the shiny plastic all together.

Who knows about a price drop.

lord pie

elrechazao said:
Happens like once every 30 min or so, often at the same point, so I assume voice commands for netflix are coming through the kinect and screwing with my movies. Also, I boo and hiss at villains.

It could be getting confused with audio in the movie. Especially if it occurs in the same places.

While the background noise reduction is really good, it does have its limits.
I'd suggest placing the camera as far from your TV's speakers as is reasonable and run the calibration through with the TV quite loud.

Also an american friend of mine mentioned:
"FRYs sale - xbox 4GB for $199 with a $50 giftcard and dead space / army of two"

Don't know if that's genuine - I'm in the UK :p

cjelly said:
There's a matte 250GB coming out and the 250GB and Kinect bundles are being re-issued. Not sure if they're dropping the shiny plastic all together.

Who knows about a price drop.

matte 250GB???

How do we know? Link? :)

hayguyz said:
Is there a way to disable the dings the console makes with eject and power buttons?

i'm actually curious about this too, for the opposite reason - my dings stopped and i'd kind of like them back. there definitely doesn't seem to be a setting for them anywhere...

rozay

Banned
outunderthestars said:
The generic ones won't work on original xbox games or the games on demand versions of xbox games from what I understand...
It's possible to fix that problem yourself with a computer, but if you're going that route you might as well go all the way and buy a laptop hard drive with a warranty and flash it yourself.

watership

Infamous Chris said:
There is:

http://www.esperino.com/microsoft-a...e-black-to-console-range-no-more-fingerprints

I think the matte is so much sexier than the other and also, no fingerprints.

Price drop maybe?

Okay, when this comes up i'm going to give my Elite to my cousin. Glossy finish was my only complaint about the S model.

Xbox360_Matte_HorizStraightOn_jpg_jpgcopy.jpg

So good.

Fox Mulder

outunderthestars said:
The generic ones won't work on original xbox games or the games on demand versions of xbox games from what I understand...

that's only because most of the (chinese) ebay sellers don't bother to make the partition for BC. Every HDD I've bought has come from a guy that does though, so it works fine.

watership said:
Okay, when this comes up i'm going to give my Elite to my cousin. Glossy finish was my only complaint about the S model.

Xbox360_Matte_HorizStraightOn_jpg_jpgcopy.jpg

So good.

A matte white with the blue LED lights from the SW Kinect bundle would literally be sexy. Like, sexy.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My Elite kicked the bucket a few days ago, so I bought a 250gig slim model. I almost bought a slim 4gb, not realizing I couldn't use my 120 gig drive on it (WTF!). Luckily I noticed on the floor model there was no way to hook it up.

Anyhow, it is very quiet. As quiet as the PS3. EXCEPT some games. My god! The drive is at least four times as loud when playing certain games, and the case vibrates like crazy(Wolfenstein and Saboteur so far). What's up with that? The sounded fine in my old Elite. Is this a common problem?

Other games I've tried in it (Red Dead Redemption, Child of Eden) were fine. I looked at the discs, and nothing seemed wrong or different between the loud games and the quiet ones...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Another odd thing about these certain "noisy" discs is that if I install them to the drive, when the disc initially spins up it doesn't make much noise. The console then is extremely quiet. When I play the game.

However, if I go back to the dashboard, I can hear the xbox reading the disc in the drive for a while, then it starts making a really deep low hum and the case vibrates slightly as long as the disc is in the drive. It will continue to do this as long as one of these "noisy" discs are in there, even though I let it just sit at the dashboard doing nothing for 10 minutes.

As soon as I eject the disc, this deep hum and vibration stop.

I just tried several other games (NFS: Shift 2, Bioshock 2 and a few others) and none of them exhibit this behavior. Split/Second, on the other hand, does it as well. So confusing... there is nothing physically wrong with these "noisy" discs compared to the ones which make almost no noise while being read. I looked all over for scratches, bending, or wear on the inner hole. Nothing. I also swapped in NFS: Shift 2, then tried Split/Second after words just to make sure that it wasn't just sometimes doing this to just any game. Every time I put Split/Second in, the drive got super noisy.

Why is this happening?

heavyness

FlyinJ said:
Another odd thing about these certain "noisy" discs is that if I install them to the drive, when the disc initially spins up it doesn't make much noise. The console then is extremely quiet. When I play the game.

However, if I go back to the dashboard, I can hear the xbox reading the disc in the drive for a while, then it starts making a really deep low hum and the case vibrates slightly as long as the disc is in the drive. It will continue to do this as long as one of these "noisy" discs are in there, even though I let it just sit at the dashboard doing nothing for 10 minutes.

As soon as I eject the disc, this deep hum and vibration stop.

I just tried several other games (NFS: Shift 2, Bioshock 2 and a few others) and none of them exhibit this behavior. Split/Second, on the other hand, does it as well. So confusing... there is nothing physically wrong with these "noisy" discs compared to the ones which make almost no noise while being read. I looked all over for scratches, bending, or wear on the inner hole. Nothing. I also swapped in NFS: Shift 2, then tried Split/Second after words just to make sure that it wasn't just sometimes doing this to just any game. Every time I put Split/Second in, the drive got super noisy.

Why is this happening?

I've had this too... no idea and annoying.

malfcn

I called it. My bet was about a year after launch the S would be available (non-arcade) in matte. I love mine, but the matte looks nicer. Got one of each, thanks BK.

tsigo

FlyinJ said:
Is this common on the slim, or is it a defect? I'd really like to know if I should return this unit.

Can't say, but anecdotally, I've heard mine do this too. It rattles the shelf of the entertainment center it's on pretty violently, and I have to launch an installed game or eject the disc to stop it from spinning. I've ignored it for now because I hardly spend any time in the dashboard.

Sigh I've been waiting a couple of weeks for some deal to emerge on the 4GB. My launch 360 RROD'd and I'm just looking for something to house my old hard drive.

Can't wait to have this guy in my entertainment center.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Syphon Filter said:
Has anyone seen the matte 250 gb in stores yet?
Out 9th September in EU IIRC.

Should be any day now in the US, I guess. Depends if stores will have them out separate or just work through their glossy stock first.

Mad_Ban

Just an observation here:

My friend has a launch slim. Even with games installed there's a fair bit of heat coming out of the top vent.

I got one today, MFR date of March 2011, and the vent is only lukewarm to the touch after a few hours of playing. :)

Mad_Ban said:

My friend has a launch slim. Even with games installed there's a fair bit of heat coming out of the top vent.

I got one today, MFR date of March 2011, and the vent is only lukewarm to the touch after a few hours of playing. :)
Mine can get rather hot and it's on a flat wooden table with nothing around it, but it can also stay cool, it's a bit of a mixed bag but I run my games from HDD installs, maybe that effects it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Mad_Ban said:

Tell your friend to stick the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner against the top fan and move it around a bit.

So what's the consensus on this model and failure rate? Did they manage to fix the RROD frequency? Has anyone here got the new equivalent to the RROD yet? Is RROD notably less frequent [naive optimism]or largely eliminated[/naive optimism]?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
racemixing said:
So what's the consensus on this model and failure rate? Did they manage to fix the RROD frequency? Has anyone here got the new equivalent to the RROD yet? Is RROD notably less frequent [naive optimism]or largely eliminated[/naive optimism]?

The RROD happened because the GPU was too large and generated too much heat and it couldn't be cooled properly. The Slim 360, uses a smaller single chip that incorporates the GPU and CPU. If they weren't confident that they got their thermals right this time, they wouldn't have mixed the two together. Technology has come a long way in the 4 years from the introduction of the machine to the time the slim launched. The old chip was built on a 65nm process, the new chips are built on a 45nm process. The heat and energy required have been reduced considerably. The RROD isn't a problem anymore. The normal failure rate for these types of products is 2%, and I guess the 360 Slim falls under that now, which is a huge reduction compared to the 30% Microsoft was seeing at launch.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
racemixing said:
Let me put it this way, the launch 360 was an SUV in mpg consumption now it's a Toyota Camry (new gen)

Yen

For anyone who used an ordinary hard drive (not the official MS one), what hard drive did you use? I just want to make sure whatever one I buy isn't incompatible or whatever.
The official 250gb one is £60 but 250gb hard drives can be found for £30 or less.

Phoenix4

My refurbished 20gb launch 360 gave a red ring of death yesterday (only 1 red light, but since i got green lines on my screen and a messed up avatar on my homescreen i'm guessing my GPU is fucked).

Guess i can send it to MS and have it repaired for 150 euro's, but i think it's smarter to pay an extra 80 euro's for 250gb, a more stable system and HDMI.

Will HDMI give me an advantage over Component IQ-wise? I always thought Component didn't support 1080p output

Loxley

racemixing said:

RROD is almost a complete non-issue with the new units because of the completely re-worked architecture of the system's innards.

*edit

Yeah, what godhandiscen said :)

Top Bottom