• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

Phoenix4 said:
My refurbished 20gb launch 360 gave a red ring of death yesterday (only 1 red light, but since i got green lines on my screen and a messed up avatar on my homescreen i'm guessing my GPU is fucked).

Guess i can send it to MS and have it repaired for 150 euro's, but i think it's smarter to pay an extra 80 euro's for 250gb, a more stable system and HDMI.

Will HDMI give me an advantage over Component IQ-wise? I always thought Component didn't support 1080p output

I'm curious about this as well.

TxdoHawk

Phoenix4 said:
Guess i can send it to MS and have it repaired for 150 euro's, but i think it's smarter to pay an extra 80 euro's for 250gb, a more stable system and HDMI.

Definitely go for the new model if you can afford to drop the extra change. I don't think you'll get an argument about that in this thread.

Will HDMI give me an advantage over Component IQ-wise? I always thought Component didn't support 1080p output

I believe some (but not all) TV's can output 1080p over component for the 360. I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor though...many (most?) graphically intensive 360 games are not going to natively render anywhere near 1080p, so you're just getting an upscaled image.

NavNucST3

Phoenix4 said:
My refurbished 20gb launch 360 gave a red ring of death yesterday (only 1 red light, but since i got green lines on my screen and a messed up avatar on my homescreen i'm guessing my GPU is fucked).

This issue has rarely been component supporting 1080p it is about the individual devices that accept 1080p over component. As far as IQ, this is a can of worms...you should not notice a difference in quality, however, more than likely you will need to make some adjustments to your display if you are comparing. Typically, you will want to have each of your inputs calibrated for the connected device on that input. Once my system started getting more complicated I realized how much I actually hate HDMI (really it's the HDCP I hate).

Barrett2

Old 360 died today, not covered by warranty. Fuck it, gonna buy a Slim tonight.

(i) Any deals on it right now?

(ii) Do I seriously need to buy a proprietary cable to transfer HDD data?

Milly79

lawblob said:

Pretty sure you can just take your old HDD and put it in the casing of the new HDD you would be getting with the slim. Obviously you would be losing space, but that's what I would end up doing.

Microsoft doesn't give the cables away anymore, sadly.

Hero

lawblob said:

Not sure about (i) but for (ii) I think you can transfer stuff just using a thumb drive.

lawblob said:

I just got the Gears of War 3 Limited Edition Console. So sexy.

$399

Slim Console (Limited Edition Red)
320GB HDD (Largest available)
Two Limited Lambent Crimsom Omen Controllers
Gears of War Game

213kuwk.jpg

Barrett2

Tempted to go out and get a phat bundle. Unfortunately, I already bought and opened Gears 3, I don't need a 2nd controller...

Think i'll just buy the $199 unit, and remove my old HDD from the casing and shove it raw dawg into the new Slim unit.

lawblob said:
A lot easier to buy the cable. Get it from Best Buy and return...an assistant in the store even suggested I could do that.

ACH1LL3US

Well I wanted to give my impressions on the Xbox Slim.

I just got yesterday the Xbox 360 Gears 3 limited Edition slim system. I was reluctant to get the slim because I thought the OG Xbox 360 system looked better. Boy... was I wrong. First off I bought the 360 on launch day( midnight launch to be precise) and that thing was VERY loud. Of course eventually we were able to install games to the HD and that helped alot but it still had pretty loud fans.

So anyway this Gears 3 slim system just looks amazing, I watched alot of unboxings on youtube and the system just looks soo much better in person, it really does! Also the system with the games on the HD is VERY silent! I couldnt believe the difference, it was alot quieter then my brothers Jasper 360. Color me surprised.

The 320gb hd comes out to 292gb , so as usual lose some space because of the partition etc.

I highly recommend the Slim system, even to those that think the OG 360 looks better, especially the Gears 3 limited looks just flat out amazing!

Also I just want to say that the slim is alot quieter then the PS3 phat I had. Not sure if anyone else is sensitive to console noises but the slim is a HUGE improvement.

FreeMufasa

jvalioli said:
You can rip out the hard drive of your old xbox and put into a slim(4gb) if you want.

Wow really? I think i'll do this since I don't really download stuff and usually only install 1 game at a time.

Is there a guide for this process?

Kimosabae

Banned
Question:

Is it possible to have digital optical out for audio and HDMI for solely for video? I remember being able to do this with my PS3, but it doesn't seem to work with the 360.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Kimosabae said:
Question:

Is it possible to have digital optical out for audio and HDMI for solely for video? I remember being able to do this with my PS3, but it doesn't seem to work with the 360.

Yes.

Apath

I want to sell my old 360 and get a new 4gb slim. What are the odds of a worth while bundle/price drop of some sort happening this holiday?

and offtopic -- when selling my console, would it be better to sell it w/ 250gb HDD and games (~11 games) or do it all separate?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Kimosabae said:
Errm, I can't seem to get this to work. I've tried toggling all the digital output settings in the menu to no avail. Any ideas?

No idea, even if you don't toggle the correct output setting in the settings, it should still be outputting sound I think. I have mine set to Dolby Digital 5.1.

Kimosabae said:
Errm, I can't seem to get this to work. I've tried toggling all the digital output settings in the menu to no avail. Any ideas?

Try turning off auto detect under the video tab. I had a hard time setting it up too, but I think that worked.

Tek

Kimosabae said:
Question:

This is exactly how I have mine and it works fine.

Kimosabae

Banned
Thanks all, I figured it out a while back: I merely had the speakers hooked up improperly.

Laugh, if that makes you feel better about yourself.

Darkgran

I just bought a new 360-The 250 GB model. I transferred all my stuff over from my 120 GB old 360 everything worked perfectly.

But now I have a question about the licenses. I used the tools on xbox.com and transferred them but when I go to download them on my console it wants to download the whole game again. Is this normal? I mean the whole game is already there? why do I need to download it again?

Hope that makes sense

darthbob

Darkgran said:
I just bought a new 360-The 250 GB model. I transferred all my stuff over from my 120 GB old 360 everything worked perfectly.

But now I have a question about the licenses. I used the tools on xbox.com and transferred them but when I go to download them on my console it wants to download the whole game again. Is this normal? I mean the whole game is already there? why do I need to download it again?

Hope that makes sense

On Xbox.com, after the DRM transfer process completes, it'll ask if you'd like to queue up ~30 items to redownload.

It will only redownload the full file if it's not located on the storage device.

Darkgran

darthbob said:
On Xbox.com, after the DRM transfer process completes, it'll ask if you'd like to queue up ~30 items to redownload.

It will only redownload the full file if it's not located on the storage device.

Which is weird because the full file is on the storage device. It was re downloading Shadow Complex and I already had the full game on the new Xbox. So basically I was going to have 2 800 MB files of the same game. Weird.

Angry Fork

Last year they gave a 100$ credit around Thanksgiving, I've been waiting for that again. I don't know if I should bite on this 50$ one or not.

Apath

Hastings and Radioshack are going to be offering the 4GB XBOX 360 Kinect bundle for $199.99 on Black Friday. If you can wait on getting a 360, I'd hold out until then. If you don't want the Kinect, just sell it. I'm sure you can get at least $60 for it.

Top Bottom