• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

ElNino

My non-Microsoft Slim HDD doesn't have the BC partition. If i get a new, official HDD and transfer all the content to it, will it recognize it's the same console and just start working right away, or will i have to do the DRM "new console" thingy?

Thanks.
A new hard drive on the same console? Yes, in that scenario you will not need to do a license transfer.

Are you just trying to get the BC partition back (in order to play BC games?) or are you going for a larger HDD as well?. If it's only the former I believe there is way to add that to the hard drive by yourself when you connect it to a PC, but I haven't done it myself (no interest in BC).

Frankfurt

Banned
A new hard drive on the same console? Yes, in that scenario you will not need to do a license transfer.

Are you just trying to get the BC partition back (in order to play BC games?) or are you going for a larger HDD as well?. If it's only the former I believe there is way to add that to the hard drive by yourself when you connect it to a PC, but I haven't done it myself (no interest in BC).

Thanks.

Just the partition, i have almost 100GB free.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I just picked up a 320GB hard drive for my 4gb console. In terms of speed does it matter if my gamer profiles are on the internal memory versus the hdd?

tsigo

Your profile isn't loaded frequently enough to matter. I just put everything on the hard drive and use the internal as a backup for save games.

Just got a Holiday Slim bundle. Anyone else get kind of a loose power cord? Not the end that goes into the 360 but the cord from the wall to the brick. Mine is really loose. Like if I move it the 360 goes off.

RedAssedApe

Banned
How does the transfer thing work?

I have like 20MB free and need a new HD at the very least

Can u transfer DLC?

Are you just installing a HD in a 4GB slim? If so you don't really have to do anything besides plugging it in and moving the data over via System preferences.

Special J

Banned
I just picked up a 320GB hard drive for my 4gb console. In terms of speed does it matter if my gamer profiles are on the internal memory versus the hdd?

yes its faster if you have your profile on the flash memory.

Just got a Holiday Slim bundle. Anyone else get kind of a loose power cord? Not the end that goes into the 360 but the cord from the wall to the brick. Mine is really loose. Like if I move it the 360 goes off.

thats not normal try forcing it maybe its not in all the way, if not return it or call up 18004myxbox for a replacement.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It really pisses me off about how I never see deals for the 250GB without Kinect. Picking up one of those for $199 would be sweeeeeet.

Cday

Banned
And yet it's selling better than ever.

It really pisses me off about how I never see deals for the 250GB without Kinect. Picking up one of those for $199 would be sweeeeeet.

Yeah it's either that or the 4GB version with Kinect for $199 and who the hell wants to run their games off that loud-ass disc drive? Not me.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm thinking about getting a 4gb slim on the cheap ($129) and putting my elite HDD in a ebay bought caddy and sticking it into the new machine. That should work right?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Dunno what thread to put this in because it doesn't seem like a big enough deal to warrant it's own thread but: My 360 won't turn on, even though all of the cords are plugged in properly and it hasn't moved since the last time it was on. The power brick is orange as usual, too. I've unplugged and plugged back in everything and nothing seems to be doing the trick. I dunno what else to do, could this be the end of the line? I've got a Halo 3 edition 360, which was already sent in for repairs once for RRoD.

If there are no other solutions, I guess I'll have to buy a new one. Would it be possible to transfer my saves if I can't turn it on? And how do I get my game out of the old one? :-/

I also may need a new controller - the one I've been using, before the 360 stopped turning on, had been disconnecting an increasingly annoying amount just because I moved the wire. Ex: In between rounds of BF3, I move around to adjust myself and boom, disconnected. Annoying as shit, I can't tell if it's the wire or the controller. It's one of those controllers where the wire isn't built in, btw.

If anybody could help or knows much about these problems, whether they're common, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

TheExodu5

Banned
Few complaints about the Slim: power button feels cheap as well. I guess since it's chromed, I was expecting something more mechanical.

Also, I don't like the black controller. It's the fact that the bottom is glossy...I don't like the texture at all. My hands are touching mostly matte surface, but the tip of my fingers are touching the glossy bottom of the controller. I prefer my white controller, despite it looking worse.

edit: this thing only came with composite cables? The fuck? What year is this?

Few complaints about the Slim: power button feels cheap as well. I guess since it's chromed, I was expecting something more mechanical.

Also, I don't like the black controller. It's the fact that the bottom is glossy...I don't like the texture at all. My hands are touching mostly matte surface, but the tip of my fingers are touching the glossy bottom of the controller. I prefer my white controller, despite it looking worse.

edit: this thing only came with composite cables? The fuck? What year is this?

Try to track down some charcoal OG Elite controllers. They were sold seperately too. Or worst case scenario, some chat pads to improve the grip.

Kimosabae

Banned
Hey folks: what program are people using to transfer files from their PC/Mac to their 360 Harddrives? Something like PS3 mediaserver?

I own a Mac btw.

Kimosabae

Banned
Media indeed. That seems to be what I was looking for, thanks.

*edit*

I was actually for something a bit more "free", if anyone has any other programs to recommend.

Just got a 360 slim, have a couple questions.

Under my games there are demos for joy ride and your shape that came with the system, but there does not appear to be a way to delete them like regular demos that I download. They do not appear in storage/demos, and when I open them in my games, there is only the option to play them. How can I delete them?

Also, is there a way to prevent the "xbox improvement program data" from coming back? I opted out of what I could from the settings menu but it keeps reappearing after I delete it.

Thanks.

Does anyone know why my Lacie 8GB iamakey flash drive doesn't work as a storage unit? I've checked the formatting and the integrity of the drive, and it works fine with my PS3 and computers (Mac and PC), but I keep getting a failure on the data loss test making me unable to use it for the 360. Anyone with the same drive that doesn't work?

Who knows, probably some random MS performance requirement it doesn't pass.

I believe I've had one of my 3 USB thumb sticks be rejected by the 360 as well, I'm guessing it's slightly finicky.

Tyrax

Does anyone know why my Lacie 8GB iamakey flash drive doesn't work as a storage unit? I've checked the formatting and the integrity of the drive, and it works fine with my PS3 and computers (Mac and PC), but I keep getting a failure on the data loss test making me unable to use it for the 360. Anyone with the same drive that doesn't work?

Probably write speed, i think the original memory units set a standard for the speed of writes to the memory that would cause games to lag or crash if a USB key with slower write speed was used.

Figured as much about the flash drive.

New question: Any way to finally change the sign-in email? It's still tied to an old hotmail account that I think no longer is active.

Ra1den

So these slims are scratching disks too? I notice a small perfectly circular scratch forming around one of my games. I haven't moved it while it has been on. How on earth does this happen?

Starting a month or so ago the disc drive in my 6-month-old slim started to make an obnoxious grinding noise whenever it plays discs, even if they're installed. Anyone else having this problem? I did some searching and all I could find were suggestions that the disc drive is loud unless you install your games, but I'm doing that and it's still loud. Any suggestions?

Starting a month or so ago the disc drive in my 6-month-old slim started to make an obnoxious grinding noise whenever it plays discs, even if they're installed. Anyone else having this problem? I did some searching and all I could find were suggestions that the disc drive is loud unless you install your games, but I'm doing that and it's still loud. Any suggestions?

If you have kids I would guess one of them might have stuck something in there. If not, then I don't know.

If you have kids I would guess one of them might have stuck something in there. If not, then I don't know.

No kids. The last thing I put in there before it started making the noise was Deus Ex, but it didn't start making the noise until I had played it a few times, between which the DVD didn't leave the system.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad

Some games cause the disc to spin even if they're installed. Dunno if it's fixed now, but Alice had that problem, and Gears 3 is grinding the disc for a couple of minutes or so when you start it up. My slim sounds like a crashing jet plane when especially Gears 3 is spinning.

Some games cause the disc to spin even if they're installed. Dunno if it's fixed now, but Alice had that problem, and Gears 3 is grinding the disc for a couple of minutes or so when you start it up. My slim sounds like a crashing jet plane when especially Gears 3 is spinning.

Interesting. I got the noise while playing Alice, too. Maybe it's just the games I'm playing.

Sean

Banned

It's the new Xbox 360 disc format, some kind of security check or whatever I think. It spins the disc for a few minutes even if the game is installed. Nothing to worry about unless it's doing it constantly.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So i got a Xbox 360 slim recently, it's my first Xbox. I'm from Chile but i created an american account in order to be able to access US only content, so far i have only downloaded some demos but i wanna download some arcade games later on. My question is are there any possible drawbacks i should be aware of before putting MS points into my account?

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
So all the newest ones are matte now? I might sell my glossy one to my roommate and pick up a matte one. Fucking hate that scratch-attracting finish.

Kafel

Banned
I've had a 360 for a long time but didn't know where to ask.

Is it possible to pay for Xbox Live Gold with MSP ? How can I do this ?

Mr YuYu

I have a problem with my new 360 slim. It been running very slow for the last couple of months.

Few problems i have:

1. running very slow in general. When i load up my 360 it takes ages to load up my "quickplay" list or my games library in general.

2. Sometime when i play a game i get " disc is unreadable" errors. The strange thing is that my game are always installed on HDD.

3. Some games don't even boot up. F.e. Might and magic (also installed on HDD)

Is this my 360 dieing? or is it just my HDD? Could a reformat help?

My 360 is still in warranty. Should i send it in? Or just the HDD? Is there even warranty on the HDD alone?

Thx in advance!

I've had a 360 for a long time but didn't know where to ask.

Is it possible to pay for Xbox Live Gold with MSP ? How can I do this ?

I don't think so, which is weird when you think about it.

1. running very slow in general. When i load up my 360 it takes ages to load up my "quickplay" list or my games library in general.
Probably nothing to do with your system or hardware failing, it's just how it can be sometimes. Very annoying, I know.

2. Sometime when i play a game i get " disc is unreadable" errors. The strange thing is that my game are always installed on HDD.
Disc still has to be read for verification, and I've had this happen, too...but not problems other than the occasional read error.

3. Some games don't even boot up. F.e. Might and magic (also installed on HDD)

Is this my 360 dieing? or is it just my HDD? Could a reformat help?

My 360 is still in warranty. Should i send it in? Or just the HDD? Is there even warranty on the HDD alone?
If you're still inside of the warranty period, you could always exchange if these issues have happened too often and there's no other explanation for them. Could be a dirty drive lens or discs, too.

Mr YuYu

Disc still has to be read for verification, and I've had this happen, too...but not problems other than the occasional read error.

Thx for taking the time to answer my questions!
As for the "disc is unreadable erros" I mostly get them when i am allready playing the game. Not when i am booting it up. Should it not be loading of the HDD then?

Just bought a Slim 250 GB Matte console eith Crysis 2 and Forza bundled. I'm very impressed by how quite it is, although the side of the console where the vents are located is extremely hot. Metro UI is quite sleek as well.

Sagitario

So i got a Xbox 360 slim recently, it's my first Xbox. I'm from Chile but i created an american account in order to be able to access US only content, so far i have only downloaded some demos but i wanna download some arcade games later on. My question is are there any possible drawbacks i should be aware of before putting MS points into my account?

Not really.
Keep in mind that MS points are region locked, so you can only use points from the US.

Apath

So my Slim is loud as fuck with the DVD drive spinning non-stop. It does this for just about every game, even when they're installed. Does everyone else have this issue or is my system just defective? It is definitely not whisper quiet like a lot of people claim. For reference, I'm playing BF3 right now and after two games the drive hasn't stopped its "HRRRRRRMMMMMMM" noise once.

Bryan1321

Banned
So my Slim is loud as fuck with the DVD drive spinning non-stop. It does this for just about every game, even when they're installed. Does everyone else have this issue or is my system just defective? It is definitely not whisper quiet like a lot of people claim. For reference, I'm playing BF3 right now and after two games the drive hasn't stopped its "HRRRRRRMMMMMMM" noise once.

I would like this as well. I just got a 4GB Slim 360. And the drive is just too noisy... is this normal. it sounds like HRRRRRMMMMMM like for 5 minutes straight and then it shutdowns

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I would like this as well. I just got a 4GB Slim 360. And the drive is just too noisy... is this normal. it sounds like HRRRRRMMMMMM like for 5 minutes straight and then it shutdowns
Most games released in the last 4-6 months are on a new disc format (for more advanced copyright protection), and even if they're installed, the 360 reads them pretty vigorously for about two minutes after starting them. After that, the drive shuts off and the game plays from the HDD normally.

Wait, just re-read that you have a 4GB, so you wouldn't be installing games... I guess it's still normal that the drive sounds like it's going crazy for those first couple minutes, though. The rest of the time it shouldn't be accessing as much.

Bryan1321

Banned
Most games released in the last 4-6 months are on a new disc format (for more advanced copyright protection), and even if they're installed, the 360 reads them pretty vigorously for about two minutes after starting them. After that, the drive shuts off and the game plays from the HDD normally.

Wait, just re-read that you have a 4GB, so you wouldn't be installing games... I guess it's still normal that the drive sounds like it's going crazy for those first couple minutes, though. The rest of the time it shouldn't be accessing as much.

OK, i guess its normal then. it only sounds like that every now and then. Once it stops theres like a 30 minutes without any sound at all

Top Bottom