• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 vs PS3 retail exclusives (+ restrictions) released US or EU 2010-2013

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can't fault MS for doing what it did with Xbox 360. They got the hardcore to jump in early with lots of exclusives (like me), then slowed down exclusives to just Halo, Gears, Forza while they went after the Kinect pot of gold. Half way through this gen I switched to PS3 when Sony was firing exclusive after exclusive, no regrets. MS seems to be doing the same thing with Xbox One, lets see if they can maintain a strong stable of exclusive software for the entirety of that console's life. With Sony, there is no worry, you know they will stay committed.

Isn't there a 'fool me once' thing here though? Aren't at least some core gamers going to pause before ordering Xbox one, thinking "hang on, what if this good stuff from MS is just a flash in the pan? What if they abandon me again? If I'm going to end up buying a PS4 in 2 years, why not save my money and just buy that now, and not bother with Xbox?"

It's a transition period. It makes sense to release some of their games on both platforms. Personally, I'm hoping that Fable Anniversary and Max: Curse of Brotherhood gets Xbone versions as well.

Doesn't mean that there won't be interesting non-kinect exclusives for the Xbone though. Did you even watch MS' E3 press conference?

Yes I did. And it was horrible. All of zero launch window games I really want to play or would buy the console for. I 'll wait for halo 5 and some other not yet revealed titles before I pull the trigger on an xbone. Also, sorry I don't buy the transitional period bullshit. What the hell were they doing with the kinetic money coffers for the last 2 years? Don't talk to me about games I might be able to play in 2 years IF I am lucky.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If people are so annoyed by the lack of XBLA/PSN titles, why not make a GAF version? Maybe reduce some of the restrictions? Personally if a game comes to another platform within 12 months I'd exclude it,but later than that and it should be counted as an effective exclusive

mrklaw

MrArseFace
to be fair, a lot of those PS exclusives are terrible or mediocre.

6 green for Xbox, 24 for PS3. Don't know what the metacritic thresholds are for the colours, but lets just say those are 'good'.

And while we're posting our opinions, I've loved a lot of the exclusive PSN titles in the last couple of years.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
If people are so annoyed by the lack of XBLA/PSN titles, why not make a GAF version? Maybe reduce some of the restrictions? Personally if a game comes to another platform within 12 months I'd exclude it,but later than that and it should be counted as an effective exclusive

Was just gonna say this, wouldn't be that hard for the skilled people here to poop out a list that is more "fair". Imo any game that is excluded from either the 360 and PS3 should be on that list. It's a direct comparison between the consoles, what happens on other platforms shouldn't be taken into account. So games like State of Decay or Hotline Miami should be on that list!

Halo 3, Forza 2, Project Gotham Racing 4 and Crackdown

vs.

Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, Killzone 2, InFamous, R&C: A Crack in Time

Not much of a contest really.

According to Wikipedia:
Games Published by MS in 2007
Blue Dragon
Crackdown
Forza Motorsport 2
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Halo 3
Mass Effect
Project Gotham Racing 4
Project Sylpheed
Scene It? Lights, Camera, Action
Shadowrun
Viva Piñata: Party Animals

vs.

Games Published by Sony in 2009
Buzz Quiz World
Demon's Souls
EyePet
Ghostbusters: The Video Game (PAL version co-published)
God of War Collection
InFamous
Killzone 2
MLB 09: The Show
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Singstar Motown
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Sakujou

Banned
i think i should quit gaming. most of these games just suck.

also its a shame, that even as so many games do get released nowadays, lesser games do really interest me....

whats wrong?

Durante

I don't understand why e.g. Deathsmiles is not on the 360 list. Though obviously that wouldn't change the overall point much, which is sound.

As someone who plays all multiplatform titles on PC, the relative size of the non-camera stacks pretty closely mirrors the relative size of my console libraries.

Leflus

Yes I did. And it was horrible. All of zero launch window games I really want to play or would buy the console for.
If you don't find any of the launch games interesting then I don't know what to tell you.

You can't really say that they're focusing on "kinect titles or a 'the duties' competitors", though.

Also, sorry I don't buy the transitional period bullshit.
It's easy.

1. Some of these games were 360 games to begin with. Since their release dates were close enough to the Xbone's launch, they were given Xbone versions as well.
2. 360 has a large userbase. Xbone will have a low userbase when its released. Making a niche title like Lococycle into an Xbone exclusive wouldn't really make sense.
3. They're giving support to their old platform

What the hell were they doing with the kinetic money coffers for the last 2 years? Don't talk to me about games I might be able to play in 2 years IF I am lucky.
Building new teams? Aquiring exclusives?

They've mostly talked about the launch games, but we know that Project Spark is launching in early 2014 and Halo in late 2014. Crimson Dragon and D4 is probably launching in 2014 as well.

Quantum Break, Below and Sunset Overdrive might or might not make it, but I don't expect to see Black Tusk's game in 2014.

It looks bad for 360 but as someone who owns both consoles, imho it's a wash. Sony has a ton more games but a majority of them are simply.. there. Almost nothing stands out as amazing, or really killer app games to me. MS on the other hand started focusing more on Kinect and snatching up XBLA games. Sony went more for retail. I mean, how many of those PS3 games would have worked a lot better as PSN titles? Starhawk, MAG, Twisted Metal, just off the top of my head there are a few.

MS bought an IP like State of Decay and released it on XBLA. Sony would have seen that game and the amount of content and put it at retail for a much higher price. I like the approach of both companies. MS has a couple gems every now and again and tons of amazing XBLA stuff. Sony has a gem every now and again, some other good retail titles, and a decent PSN portfolio.

According to Wikipedia:
Games Published by MS in 2007
Blue Dragon
Crackdown
Forza Motorsport 2
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Halo 3
Mass Effect
Project Gotham Racing 4
Project Sylpheed
Scene It? Lights, Camera, Action
Shadowrun
Viva Piñata: Party Animals

vs.

Games Published by Sony in 2009
Buzz Quiz World
Demon's Souls
EyePet
Ghostbusters: The Video Game (PAL version co-published)
God of War Collection
InFamous
Killzone 2
MLB 09: The Show
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Singstar Motown
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Well, Mass Effect and Shadowrun are also on PC though,

Why are people comparing the vita to PC? It is more like a companion to the PS3 not a full platform that is competing against it. You can have a better experience on PC and it is a platform itself.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Until Dawn is a MOVE title and lots of those other PS3 titles use MOVE too such as KZ, Infamous, Resistance and LBP. The big difference is that people were conned into believing Kinect could be used for hardcore games and MOVE CAN be used for hardcore games.

Now let's see 2005-2009

I bet Sony would still win. People forget how many first party exclusives they had then.

Uncharted
Uncharted2
Killzone 2
Infamous
R: FoM
Resistance 2
Ratchet and Clank ToD
Ratchet and Clank ACiT
Motorstorm
Motorstorm PR
MGS4
Lair(lol yes it counts)
GoW3(or was that 2010?)

Oops forgot a few.
Wipeout HD
Folklore
Heavenly Sword
LittleBugPlanet(can't believe I forgot this!)

Anyways I'm probably missing some, but these were all big AAA titles, all first or 2nd party except MGS4. I'd be surprised of MS had more than 10.

Edit: wow 2009 was really the year of PS3. Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, Infamous, Demon Souls and Ratchet ACiT(my fav ratchet game out of all of them) all came in 2009. Every single one was excellent and did very well for Sony(maybe not ACiT sales wise as much as the others).

Halo 3, Forza 2, Project Gotham Racing 4 and Crackdown

vs.

Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, Killzone 2, InFamous, R&C: A Crack in Time

Not much of a contest really.

Yup, 2009 was the strongest year, though this one seems to be even better.

Even early in the PS3's lifecycle there were a ton of exclusives like Folklore, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles, Wipeout HD, Resistance, Motorstorm, etc...

I bet Sony would still win. People forget how many first party exclusives they had then.

Uncharted
Uncharted2
Killzone 2
Infamous
R: FoM
Resistance 2
Ratchet and Clank ToD
Ratchet and Clank ACiT
Motorstorm
Motorstorm PR
MGS4
Lair(lol yes it counts)
GoW3(or was that 2010?)

Anyways I'm probably missing some, but these were all big AAA titles, all first or 2nd party except MGS4. I'd be surprised of MS had more than 10.

Edit: wow 2009 was really the year of PS3. Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, Infamous, and Ratchet ACiT(my fav ratchet game out of all of them) all came in 2009. Every single one was excellent and did very well for Sony(maybe not ACiT sales wise as much as the others).

MGS4 isn't first party.

If you look at the upcoming exclusives for both consoles whats left for this year its even more apparent:

PS3:

Beyond Two Souls
Disgaea D2
Dragons Crown
GT6
Puppeteer
Rain
Tales of Xillia
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix
FFX/X-2 HD
Ratchet and Clank Nexus
The Guided Fate Paradox
The Witch and Hundred Knights
Until Dawn

360:
Fable 3 remake

-____- someone help me with the 360 list cause I can't think straight and my google fu is piss poor it seems.

In terms of games I enjoy, both consoles were pretty equal. I like almost every 360 exclusive apart from Forza, but on PS3 I mainly enjoy God of War, Naughty Dog games and InFamous.
Don't give much of a fuck about stuff like LBP or Twisted Metal.
Come to think of it, somewhere around 3/4th of the games I play are multiplat anyway.

Still getting a PS4 though, I don't want an always-on camera in my living room where the NSA can get unlimited access.

Umm yes it should? There are xbox exclusive titles on xbla, and there is no point distinguishing between retail and digital releases, they are all games in the end. Don't be stupid.

Exclusive RETAIL games. It's right there at the top of the massive image. The one this entire thread is about. Retail.

cuilan

Well you like some crazy shit alright, lol. I salute you sir.

This alludes to an interesting point:

All these "list wars" comparisons are largely irrelevant in the real world. In my opinion, the most important factor is "which console has the most exclusives that are the most appealing to me?", and the answer to that varies from person to person. Someone who loves shoot'em ups is going to see the 360 as being more appealing than the PS3 or Wii, someone who loves JRPGS is going to see the PS3 as more appealing than the Wii or 360, someone who loves platformers is going to see the Wii as more appealing than the 360 or PS3.

You can tell what a person's tastes are by looking at the type of list they compile in order to justify their preference, and seeing which games they include and exclude. In my case, I enjoy a wide variety of games in a wide variety of genres, so I see value in owning every system. Of course, I prefer some genres more than others, and because of that, I have a hard time viewing the 360 as lacking in comparison to the PS3. Not everyone is going to see it that way, and that's understandable.

Feindflug

Until Dawn is out? In fact, why are there a number of games listed under PS3 that aren't even out yet and the 360 list is seemingly missing a few upcoming titles too...

As Stump already pointed out the comparison is total BS and clearly the one posted this either he/she doesn't have a 360 or he/she doesn't have a clue about the 360 line-up for the last 3 years which results in titles missing from the 360 side, no XBLA/PSN releases and console exclusives are included on the PS3 that are also on Vita while not on the 360 which are also on the PC.

]As Stump already pointed out the comparison is total BS[/B] and clearly the one posted this either he/she doesn't have a 360 or he/she doesn't have a clue about the 360 line-up for the last 3 years which results in titles missing from the 360 side, no XBLA/PSN releases and console exclusives are included on the PS3 that are also on Vita while not on the 360 which are also on the PC.

That is not what stump said.

DEADEVIL

Cool, I thought 'List Wars' were frowned upon on GAF.

The differences between the two consoles in 'skewed' list is simple.

1. The actual age/year of the 360 and the PS3 during those years.

Xbox 360 (Year 6-8) vs. PS3 - (Year 5-7)

The 360 was out a year longer and you can easily see where MS put it's big money for it's exclusives in the 4th quarter of 2012 and into Xbox ONE in 2013. Sony went light with the big exclusives in 2012 and went big for year 7, just like MS did.

2. You have to pretend that Console exclusive games don't exist in ANY of these conversation to omit a huge part of the 360 games.

The Console exclusive numbers are:

Xbox 360: 79 console exclusives and PS3: 8 console exclusives.

For purposely restrictive lists like these, there are 70+ games (ie. Alan Wake) that are supposedly vaporware and Xbox 360 gamers never played on the console

Either way the Wikipedia listing which is a relevant as this calls it

XBOX 360: There are currently 959 games (multiplatform: 757; exclusive: 123; console exclusive: 79) on this list as of June 6, 2013.

PS3: There are currently 772 games (multiplatform: 621; exclusive: 143; console exclusive: 8) and 15 cancelled games on this list as of January 14, 2013.

It's no-brainer that both companies went different routes to arrive at the successes that beach of the consoles have achieved. This is also evident when you see games like Titanfall for Xbox ONE/Xbox 360 which like Mass Effect this gen, will end up 'not existing' because they are on PC or timed.

Steroyd

Off the top of my head: Sly Cooper, PSABR, Ratchet and Clank: Q-Force, and atleast one of the MLB games.

They're cross buy though (except MLB?), you'd have to buy PC vesions of Xbox games seperately.

Not sure wether they should be counted or not, but I can see why one would be counted and not the other.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I really can't see how anyone could disagree with the statement that post Kinect, MS have been on auto-cruise as far as their first-party output goes - particularly in terms of serving the interests of the core gamer.

I don't really get why the games with PC versions get removed from any "exclusives" conversation like this one. It might be a more prominent phenomena on an enthusiast forum like GAF but far from all Xbox/PlayStation owners also play these kinds of games on PC. I think discussing console-exclusives is far more interesting than just wishing away most of the games because they happen to have a PC version.

My personal list out of the games in the OP would be cut down to about 5 games each. If I'm not interested in a game it won't help "win me over" or whatever just because it exists as an entry in a list.

Disclaimer: I use Xbox as my primary system, PC as secondary and PS3 as exclusives only.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Well, this is completely annecdotal, but even the specific number of exclusives are dubious, it is a pretty good reflection of my sentiment. The last game I played on the 360 was gears 3. That was a long time ago.

DEADEVIL

So your telling me there s only 8 console exclusives on ps3?.

Yes. Per Wiki

You're missing another digit off there.

Nah I'm not.

"Exclusive" indicates whether the PS3 is the only platform on which the game is available. This does not include handheld game consoles or mobile phones which generally run a completely different version of the game under the same name.

A value of "Console" for exclusivity means that, while a title may be available as an arcade game or on a PC using Microsoft Windows, Unix/Linux, or Mac OS X, it is not available on any other video game console in its native version. The term "Multi-platform" means that the game has appeared on multiple consoles.

Do you really believe there are only 8 games that are only available on PS3?

Nope. But I do think it's believable that there are 143 games that are 'only available on the PS3 and 123 games that are only on the 360.

'Console exclusives' are clearly a different story.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Good thing I end up with all consoles each generation so I can enjoy all the worthwhile exclusives.

Yes. Per Wiki

Nah I'm not.

"Exclusive" indicates whether the PS3 is the only platform on which the game is available. This does not include handheld game consoles or mobile phones which generally run a completely different version of the game under the same name.

A value of "Console" for exclusivity means that, while a title may be available as an arcade game or on a PC using Microsoft Windows, Unix/Linux, or Mac OS X, it is not available on any other video game console in its native version. The term "Multi-platform" means that the game has appeared on multiple consoles.

Ah I see now. Thanks!

What's the link to this BTW?

Yes. Per Wiki

Nah I'm not.

Which Wikipedia page are you talking about?

There are 3 Uncharteds, 3 Resistance games, 3 Motorstorms. That's already 9 exclusive titles.

madmackem

Yes. Per Wiki

Nah I'm not.

Nope. But I do think it's believable that there are 143 games that are 'only available on the PS3 and 123 games that are only on the 360.

'Console exclusives' are clearly a different story.
Well it's wrong, there are nearly that amount out this year if not more.

Steroyd

Yes. Per Wiki

Nah I'm not.

So after your little explanation do you really believe the information source is correct in that PS3 has 8 console exclusives?

Top Bottom