• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DMark (2013) is Out

It just crashes for me during the shitty mobile test (hd6870 catalyst 13.1). Tried twice, twice it hardlocks my pc (task manager won't work either) so I had to reset my pc both times.

Fuck it, only one test is made for pc anyhow it seems.

Same here with my 7970 ( catalyst 13.1) but I always have had issues with 3dmarks. It isn't life changing for me.

n0n44m

Stock speeds or overclocked ? What CPU ?

What is the graphical score and what is the physics score ?

11000 was with a slight overclock, it seems at stock speeds with a 6-core Intel CPU the results would be around 10500, and a bit less if you have a 4-core CPU ...

picture.php

If the image does not show up or click-to-enlarge doesn't work, click here.

Thoughts:

Ice Storm? It's like butter. Though, it does really look like a video game, and that's probably a good thing.

Cloud Gate? I don't really like brown, but hey, it still looks pretty good AND run well enough. Though, averaging at 24 FPS does mean "that cinematic feeling" for me, especially for something non-interactive.

Fire Strike? Prettiest. Slideshow. Ever. Even if it ran at 3 FPS, I don't care, because it's so pretty. It also had prolonged load times compared to the other two.

Also, I have the feeling that this might be the worst result here until someone else comes in.

mkenyon

Banned
I can confirm that this benchmark has negative scaling with SLI GTX680. Way to go 3DMark!
Protip: SLI profiles are on NVIDIA to release, not the person making the game. If you want SLI to work with the newest games/programs, you have to stay on top of drivers and even beta drivers.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It just crashes for me during the shitty mobile test (hd6870 catalyst 13.1). Tried twice, twice it hardlocks my pc (task manager won't work either) so I had to reset my pc both times.

Fuck it, only one test is made for pc anyhow it seems.
I think the new Cats are unstable. I hard locked too. I've had more issues in the month after installing new Cats than I did for the other past 3 years I've had my gaming PC.

FoxSpirit

How high we talking? Because it looks like my PC will just be playing indie games next gen, lol.
You are looking at 3D mark. They do not care to use resources in any sensible way, they just do it and then your PC chokes on release.

Good looking games, I guess. There was a time when 3DMark looked like it was several generations ahead of everything. And these demos are just conceptually lame.

Yeah I made a mistake, but the Fire Strike demo was meh too.
I hear you. Look at Agni's philosophy or the UE4 demo or Crysis 3 SP shots. Look better, already much more resource effiecient.

And yeah, some stuff of old was also really awesome showpieces from a artistic perspective.

GHG

Gold Member
May as well post in the correct format for race your PC:

GTX660 SLI @ 1111/1502/stock voltage - i5 3570K @ 4.6 GHz - 16 GB @ 1600MHz - Gigabyte M3 Sniper Z77 - GHG - Everything air - LINK

My physics scores seem a tad low on all of those and it doesn't seem to be detecting my overclock correctly in the run details. Could there be a problem or do those look about right?

jack.

Banned
Not allowing people to do "Benchmark Only" in the free version is a pretty good strategy for is a pretty good strategy for getting people to buy this. It takes like 20 minutes to do a benchmark with all of the demos enabled.

Same here with my 7970 ( catalyst 13.1) but I always have had issues with 3dmarks. It isn't life changing for me.

Crashes for me too (560 Ti 2GB).

Crashed at the end of the first test, which it blitzed through at like 400FPS. Had to hard reboot my PC. Next time it played all the way to the end of Fire Strike, then another hard lock. Tried it a 3rd time and it hard locked after the 1st test again. Pain in the hole.

Fire strike was a slideshow, but yeah, a goddamn pretty one.

mkenyon

Banned
install the 313.96 drivers

GTX680 SLI should score around 11000 in Fire Strike
I have no idea if this is related. But, I upgraded to the 313.96 drivers. Played 20 mins of dota 2 and my system crashes. Boot it back up, play another 20 mins, and my system crashes and now refuses to even power on. Going to start the troubleshooting process tonight to see what's what.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Some people are having issues with the system monitoring feature. You can turn it off in the help menu. Now I'm just getting DXGI CTDs instead of hard locks.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Only one benchmark finished as the 2nd one crashed. Not sure if it's the OC or something else but I will have to try a full run some other time but in the meantime I did finish the first demo...

3smarkicestorm8ru8q.png

Schlomo

2838 points in Fire Strike with my 6950 and i5 750 @4GHz... I have the feeling something is wrong. Does it make a difference if you choose 32/64 bit/beta versions?

Haunted

Yeah, I misunderstood. Was disappointed at the graphical quality of the first two demos, but those are targeted at low- and mid-end PCs.

Firestrike does not disappoint. Brought my PC to its knees nicely. :lol

dk_

Tried to download the demo, but when I launch it Steam says "content still encrypted". The same messagge occured after I restarted my PC and in my library is a suspended update. Downloading again and it doesn't even show me the time remaining.

tipoo

Banned
I feel like I've been getting less and less impressed with each 3D mark release. There was a time when they really showed you what games running the latest technologies could look like in a few years, but in the face of something like Crysis 3 all these tests look kind of bland. Yes there is a lot if pixel shading power required here, but it looks flat and cartoony. Even if it requires a hell of a lot of power, I'm just not impressed with the visuals.

Fire strike is definitely the prettiest looking. I'd prefer if they didn't sacrifice so much sharpness for cinematic bloom though.

Fire Strike had the same atmosphere as the Samarian Demo. Looked about the same

Maybe we'll get something like this on next gen consoles?

Noaloha

ICE STORM 181389
Graphics score - 329308
Physics Score - 70521

CLOUD GATE 19913
Graphics Score - 54084
Physics Score - 6201

FIRE STRIKE 7308
Graphics Score - 7648
Physics Score - 8566
Combined Score - 3315

GAF-Bench details:
7970 @ 1125/1575/stock - i5 3570K @ 4.5 GHz - 8 GB (@ ??? dunno, I think I set it to 1800) - Asus Sabertooth Z77 - toodles - H100 (NF-F12s) - 7308 (Firestrike) LINK

I'll say the oddest thing I noticed was that the Cloud Gate physics test brought my PC to its knees, whereas it fared pretty well on the Fire Strike physics test.

I'm just happy that my 7970 stayed above that Fire Strike 7,000 score mark which the graph earlier in the thread cited as typical. Happy with that score for a single-card rig (and since this is my know-nothing first PC build with a ropey, GoogleFu-ed CPU overclock and a GPU overclock that amounts to "push all the CCC-overdrive sliders over to the right!").

ghibli99

My results:

i7-920 @ 4GHz, GB 670 OC WF @ +126MHz GPU / +775MHz RAM.

Updating my video card drivers today resulted in a near-1000 point graphics jump for Fire Strike, which was nice to see. The first two tests were pretty much identical to my first run, which was expected. Big fan of this video card. CPU is aging, but it's been rock-solid at this OC since I set it this past October.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Ice Storm looks like the kind of game I'd want to play!

gotta love how those cartoony space-construction workers overpower the evil empire with their ridiculous weapons :D

Damian.

Banned
I can't seem to get past the first test. As soon as it finishes the program crashes giving a dxgi_error_not_currently_available window. I have tried with both of the system scan options unchecked and still get this behavior.

GTX680 313.95

Noaloha

hmm those gtx 670 seem to have better score than 7970 in Cloud gate but getting killed in Firestrike.

Definitely something to do with the physics test on Cloud Gate. The 7970 score for the graphics test is fine, but the physics scores are all around 6000 instead of the 8-9000 that the 670s and 680s are mostly hitting.

I think I'll rerun it and see if the 7970 tanks again.

EDIT:
ICE STORM
Result details
VALID RESULT
SCORE
Graphics Score 338195
Physics Score 58529

CLOUD GATE
Result details
VALID RESULT
SCORE
Graphics Score 54667
Physics Score 8633

FIRE STRIKE
Result details
VALID RESULT
SCORE
Graphics Score 8530
Physics Score 11966
Combined Score 3212

3770k+7970

cyen, if you see this, I'd be interested to know more about your settings for that CPU and card. I think you're the only 79xx card in this thread that fared well in the Cloud Gate physics test.

Noaloha

Ran 3DMark again and - surprise surprise - got pretty much identical results. Cloud Gate physics test was worse this time if anything, 6001 rather than 6201.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
FIRE STRIKE SCORE
3986 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570(1x) and Intel Core i5-2500K Processor

lol

Fire Strike is something else though. Amazing what we can accomplish with real time graphics rendering these days.

Jedi2016

This has got to be the most unstable piece of shit software I've ever seen. Most of the time, it locks up while loading. Once I managed to get it to run the tests, then it crashed when it tried to process the results. Today I finally managed (on the third try) to get it to load, run the tests, AND finally give me my scores. Glad I'm only running the demo, I would have been pissed to pay $20 for a program that has a hard time even running.

Ice Storm - 118925
Cloud Gate - 19186
Fire Strike - 5866

i7-2600K @3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, GTX-680.

I'm not sure my card is really designed to run the low-fidelity stuff like Ice Storm. It hit almost 2000fps at a couple points, and the card started making this weird squeaking sound, that would pitch up the higher the framerate went (I could hear it fluctuate along with the fps counter during the tests). I was almost afraid of hurting the thing by running it at framerates that high.

KdoubleA

So I ran Fire Strike twice, regular and extreme.

Intel i7 2600k, 8GB RAM, GTX 580, Nvidia 310.90 Driver:

Everything stock settings:

ccqdRVF.png

I want a game set in this universe and I will buy the Titan day 1 :p

Pachinko

I'm getting incredibly odd results , I've run it twice , once in 32 bit mode and once in 64 bit mode.

Both times the first 2 tests seem to give me an absurd numbers but the firestrike demo is seemingly under preforming. Almost everyone in this thread is getting higher numbers with it. Also, it doesn't seem to be detecting the correct clockspeed on my CPU- in 32 bit it thought it was 1200 mhz and in 64 bit about 2400mhz . The CPU is 2.8ghz .

Could it be that direct X 11 performance is just that much weaker with a 5870 ?

Ice Storm - 104308 (graphics - 211438 physics- 37611)
Cloud Gate - 17764 (graphics-58700 physics-5163)
Fire Strike - 2268 (graphics-2660 physics- 7198 combined- 724)

GPU - 2X5870 crossfire 1GB each, 850mhz, 1200mhz mem, 9.12.00 unverified
CPU- i7 860 2398 mhz 1/8 processors, 4 cores, lga1366 , 45nm, 95watt
Other- win7 64bit, 4X2gb corsair 667mhz memory, 1tb HDD WD

Is the crossfire support messing it up perhaps ? When I look at the results , the 32 bit 3dmark I ran scored 2600 ish on firestrike but ice storm and cloud gate were slightly lower.

cyen

Definitely something to do with the physics test on Cloud Gate. The 7970 score for the graphics test is fine, but the physics scores are all around 6000 instead of the 8-9000 that the 670s and 680s are mostly hitting.

I think I'll rerun it and see if the 7970 tanks again.

EDIT:

cyen, if you see this, I'd be interested to know more about your settings for that CPU and card. I think you're the only 79xx card in this thread that fared well in the Cloud Gate physics test.

That run was taken with a 3770K@4.5 and the 7970@1125/1575.

13.2 beta 4 or 3, i dont remember.

Here´s a more recente run of cloud gate:

http://www.3dmark.com/cg/50789

This time a complete run:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11022

hIJsvN7.jpg

I'm getting incredibly odd results , I've run it twice , once in 32 bit mode and once in 64 bit mode.

Both times the first 2 tests seem to give me an absurd numbers but the firestrike demo is seemingly under preforming. Almost everyone in this thread is getting higher numbers with it. Also, it doesn't seem to be detecting the correct clockspeed on my CPU- in 32 bit it thought it was 1200 mhz and in 64 bit about 2400mhz . The CPU is 2.8ghz .

Could it be that direct X 11 performance is just that much weaker with a 5870 ?

Ice Storm - 104308 (graphics - 211438 physics- 37611)
Cloud Gate - 17764 (graphics-58700 physics-5163)
Fire Strike - 2268 (graphics-2660 physics- 7198 combined- 724)

GPU - 2X5870 crossfire 1GB each, 850mhz, 1200mhz mem, 9.12.00 unverified
CPU- i7 860 2398 mhz 1/8 processors, 4 cores, lga1366 , 45nm, 95watt
Other- win7 64bit, 4X2gb corsair 667mhz memory, 1tb HDD WD

Is the crossfire support messing it up perhaps ? When I look at the results , the 32 bit 3dmark I ran scored 2600 ish on firestrike but ice storm and cloud gate were slightly lower.

The first test is meant for phones... the horrible graphics should tip you off <.<
The second one is meant for laptops and low end pcs
Only the third one is a traditional 3d mark benchmark.

Top Bottom