• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Ambassador - NES games are available for download... now!

BocoDragon said:
Isn't it weird to play a Zelda which is basically a hardcore action RPG?

Zelda these days is often such a hand-holding, casual audience-appealing adventure :p

I know, it's weird but in a great way. :D

And I realized I was hitting continue instead of save which is why I was losing my exp, duh.

joelfacepalm.gif

vulva

PigSpeakers said:
Wow, it was really surprising to find these here this morning. I hadn't even checked the GAF thread, just opened up my 3DS and went to the downloads section on a whim. Didn't expect to find them and was sort of shocked when I noticed the NES games in there already.

I never played Wrecking crew as a kid. Ever. Hadn't even really heard of it. But out of all the games received, it is extremely fun. Is the other guy in the bonus game supposed to be Wario? I don't know if this was the first game he was in or not.

Was Yoshi released after SMW? I haven't checked the date on it, but is this his debut or was that on a different game?
http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Yoshi_(character) I guess SMW was his first

goomba

Banned
I'm in nz and they arnt there. We should have been first considering it's been September 1 here for longer than anywhere else wtf

watershed

Banned
Judging from some of the statements in this thread its obvious retro gaming is not for everyone. I wonder if some people expected something different or didn't realize that nes games played this way.

So I made my way to the northeastern palace in Zelda II (which as far as I can tell is the only dungeon immediately accessible) and I can't get past the orange Iron Knuckle, forgot how brutal this game is! Anybody got a strategy on how to deal competently with this guy:

Zelda-II-Iron-Knuckle.jpg

dock

I'm in the UK and I don't see them! o_o;

edit: oh, there's a trick to getting them! XD; Downloading now.

"They're not officially on the store yet, but you can "redownload" them by going to the 3DS eShop, clicking on the Menu in the top-left corner, hitting "Settings," going to the "Your Downloads" section and scrolling down. "

artwalknoon said:
Judging from some of the statements in this thread its obvious retro gaming is not for everyone. I wonder if some people expected something different or didn't realize that nes games played this way.
Heh. I'm actually pretty big into retro gaming. I've just never been a huge fan of a lot of popular NES games. They just hold little nostalgia for me. Though, if they had released Guerilla War, it may have been a different story.

maeda

Gravijah said:
Never do I want to feel that way.
I kind of feel the same way and am extremely sad about it. The only NES game I still find extremely enjoyable, in fact it is one of my favorite games, is SMB3. Metroid and Zelda have gone such a long way since those early days that I just don't see any point in playing Metroid and Zelda. Zelda 2 is kind of neat, but the battle system is extremely representative of that period of time. In this day and age I just don't have patience for such an unforgiving game design.

I found most of the games in there good or at least alright despite not aging well or having been taken over by much better versions (Zero mission makes the original Metroid so much better). The only one that I find bad and will probably never ever ever play is Ice Climbers. Played it once, couldn't stand the way the guy jumped. That was it for me.

watershed

Banned
DidntKnowJack said:
Heh. I'm actually pretty big into retro gaming. I've just never been a huge fan of a lot of popular NES games. They just hold little nostalgia for me. Though, if they had released Guerilla War, it may have been a different story.
Well perhaps not you then but a lot of people seemed surprised by the lack of direction, the controls (dpad +2 buttons), and the difficulty. Its not a criticism just an observation. I love retro gaming, I can play some old games forever. But damn Zelda II is hard!

PKrockin

Yes! I love Zelda II. I'm psyched they included it. Can't wait to play Zelda 1, Metroid, and Wrecking Crew for the first time too.

Ice Climbers is still one of the worst games I've ever played. Don't know why they keep putting that turd in the spotlight as if they're proud of it.

Agent Unknown said:
So I made my way to the northeastern palace in Zelda II (which as far as I can tell is the only dungeon immediately accessible) and I can't get past the orange Iron Knuckle, forgot how brutal this game is! Anybody got a strategy on how to deal competently with this guy:

http://www.toy-tma.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Zelda-II-Iron-Knuckle.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Don't get too aggressive. Concentrate on blocking and only attack when you get the chance. Use the Shield magic if you have it (and I highly suggest you find it if you don't). It may take some practice before you get the hang of fighting these guys and take them down consistently. 'Course, that's when the game throws a crazy new version of him at you. Tough game, but SO satisfying.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Snarfington said:
Don't know if anybody else has said this but the games are definitely up in the UK now, probably all PAL regions. Downloading now. :)

where how?

edit: I SEE THEM WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I ARE AMBASSADAAAAAAAAAAAAAROOR

Surfheart

Dear Nintendo Australia,

Your website says: "Visit the Nintendo eShop on your Nintendo 3DS from Sept 1 to access your free downloadable games"

It's been Sept 1st for 16 hours and no games!

jufonuk said:
where how?
Go into the options menu on the 3DS store and navigate to "Titles You've Downloaded".
The NES games and the Ambassador Certificate have been added to your download history. Hope that helps.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
the 3DS certificate is bigger than SMB, hmm wonder if it does something then?

never experienced Ice climbers (I don't think might have, but maybe) looking forward to it!

PKrockin said:
Don't get too aggressive. Concentrate on blocking and only attack when you get the chance. Use the Shield magic if you have it (and I highly suggest you find it if you don't). It may take some practice before you get the hang of fighting these guys and take them down consistently. 'Course, that's when the game throws a crazy new version of him at you. Tough game, but SO satisfying.

Cool, thanks. I finally beat him several times but now I gotta deal with mace-wielding Horse head dude. This game really is a hardcore RPG. When was the last time you played a Zelda game that had frequent forced battles on the world map? :p

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
jufonuk said:
the 3DS certificate is bigger than than SMB, hmm wonder if it does something then?

never experienced Ice climbers (I think might have) looking forward to it!

It's just a video app with SpotPass.

oatmeal

Banned
Agent Unknown said:

Zelda-II-Iron-Knuckle.jpg

PKrockin said:

Don't listen to PK...

Jump and slash him. He can't block that. Super easy.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
jufonuk said:
the 3DS certificate is bigger than than SMB, hmm wonder if it does something then?
It's just bigger because it's a crappy 3.5 minute multi-lingual text crawl video :p (and NES games are *tiny*)

Although, it being its own application means we can get SpotPass updates whenever something Amabassador-related happens (probably just the GBA release + final version NES releases).

jufonuk

not tag worthy
VOOK said:
It's just a video app with SpotPass.

:'( feels like you ruined my early christmas by telling me what my present is before I opened it..

throw 3DS on floor in a huff **I don't wannaa, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa** runs off sulking & crying ...

being sarcastic btw. :)

Please be advised that if many users attempt to download titles in the first few days from September 1st, it could make the downloading process run very slowly. Therefore, if download times do appear to be lengthy, we would advise trying again at a later date.

Nintendo UK site

Honestly, I was worried that the "Wow, don't really want to play these again" thing would sink in after the nostalgia wears off

And for a few games (SUP, WRECKING CREW) this is true. I don't even really think Metroid is playable these days.

But for a lot of the rest, I'm still loving them. They're going to be quick diversions on my handheld, which means I will probably bring it out with me more and play a small bit of Yoshi or Super Mario Bros. rather than, like, Scramble CE on my iPhone.

Eventually that might wear off, no game lasts forever, but for right now, I'm enjoying them more than anything else I have download to the system.

Maybe except for that 3D Japanese swimsuit stuff.

PKrockin

oatmeal said:
Don't listen to PK...

Jump and slash him. He can't block that. Super easy.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I'd almost consider that sort of exploit cheating though. If you want to play like a sissy, sure, you can jump and do a regular slash on the way down with correct timing to always hit him. :p

I did beat the game twice on the NES without it, and I'm no master of difficult games like this.

FGMPR

Banned
Surfheart said:
Dear Nintendo Australia,

Your website says: "Visit the Nintendo eShop on your Nintendo 3DS from Sept 1 to access your free downloadable games"

It's been Sept 1st for 16 hours and no games!

I'll be surprised if we get them before the day is out. They are hopeless...

Peagles

FGMPR said:
I'll be surprised if we get them before the day is out. They are hopeless...

Surely this kind of thing is actioned higher up though? Would they really put those chumps in charge of something like this?

Please say no :/

OMG JUST APPEARED IN NZ!

Zee-Row said:
Still in the first dungeon and Link has good stats farming the bubbles.
IMAG0139.jpg

After seeing this pic even though I never enjoyed ZELDA II in the past
I am a grinding addict so I'm going to see how far I can get this time around just focusing on leveling up

where is the best place to farm stuff when you first start?

Poyunch

Wait you can kill bubbles?
Smiles and Cries said:
After seeing this pic even though I never enjoyed ZELDA II in the past
I am a grinding addict so I'm going to see how far I can get this time around just focusing on leveling up

where is the best place to farm stuff when you first start?
Grinding in the forest is great. The "big" enemy encounters have easy enemies that drop 10 xp. Although I've never tried it Stalfos in the large dungeon are really easy to kill and they drop 30 xp.

^ thanks I just started so I am only doing slimes
KuGsj.gif

until I can get my attack level up
3AQmK.gif

I think I appreciate the RPG elements of ZELDA II much more now than when I was younger in 1988 when I first played it. I still have my gold carts here. I never got far in Zelda II but beat Zelda 1 many times

another thing ZELDA had SLIMES what happend to them? Did Enix try to sue Nintendo?

Smiles and Cries said:
^ thanks I just started so I am only doing slimes
KuGsj.gif

until I can get my attack level up
3AQmK.gif

I think I appreciate the RPG elements of ZELDA II much more now than when I was younger in 1988 when I first played it. I still have my gold carts here. I never got far in Zelda II but beat Zelda 1 many times

another thing ZELDA had SLIMES what happend to them? Did Enix try to sue Nintendo?

Almost all the handheld ones have had slimes. Don't remember about spirit tracks or phantom hourglass though. I think the only 3D Zelda game I remember having slimes was Majora's Mask, unless OOT did too and I'm just drawing a blank.

Twilight Princess had slimes. They didn't have eyes though. You killed them and then you could scoop them up with a bottle and they became potions.

Top Bottom