• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Ambassador - NES games are available for download... now!

The games are up here in the UK now. Bizzarely enough, it seems like they've taken the EU ROMS and run them in 60hz!

SMB doesn't have the sped up music like the PAL version and seems to run at the normal NTSC speed!

And they're definitely the EU versions because "Yoshi" is called "Mario & Yoshi" over here!

Edit: Just double checked, yep. They're running at full speed 60hz allright :D Ok, so why can't we have to option to play Wii VC games in 60hz now?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Nuclear Muffin said:
The games are up here in the UK now. Bizzarely enough, it seems like they've taken the EU ROMS and run them in 60hz!

SMB doesn't have the sped up music like the PAL version and seems to run at the normal NTSC speed!

And they're definitely the EU versions because "Yoshi" is called "Mario & Yoshi" over here!
Very interesting and cool development for you PAL peoples.

Peagles

Nuclear Muffin said:

Edit: Just double checked, yep. They're running at full speed 60hz allright :D Ok, so why can't we have to option to play Wii VC games in 60hz now?

Very cool observation!

Peagles

markot said:
Mines not showing up in Aus >_< I confirmed that I was ambassador material too! Wat do?!

Don't panic. My brother and I got them at the same time but my partner is still waiting on his.

Edit: Partner just got his so it might be staggered a little. Interestingly enough, my brother and have really close serial numbers and both have black consoles, but my partner has blue.

Who programs this shit?
The games appear for me (AU!)....i click re-download on one, it throws up an error and i have to go back to the home screen?
WTF! I was really looking forward to wasting the next hour downloading games i dont really care about one by one as well!

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nuclear Muffin said:

Where are they, they don't appear to be showing up for me? Maybe I am looking wrong..

Edit: Found them, no surprise that Nintendo has chosen the least logical way to display them.

Bojanglez said:
Where are they, they don't appear to be showing up for me? Maybe I am looking wrong..

Whoops, looks like I goofed. Let me try that again.

Go to the eShop

Go to your eShop Settings (scroll all the way to the left)

Go to Titles You Downloaded

Scroll down through your list and you'll find all 10 games and an ambassador video that sends you spotpass messages regarding future ambassador updates.

Enjoy!

Rehynn

Not showing up for me either (UK). Is is possible that I need to run a system update that the 3DS won't let me do because I don't have my charger with me?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nuclear Muffin said:
Go to system settings, Your Downloads.

Scroll to the end of your list and you'll find all 10 games and an Ambassador Video that sends you Spotpass messages regarding future updates.

Enjoy!

Cheers

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yay! They show up for me (UK). Was slightly worried there be some sort of complication. I'll download a few now and a few after work.

Rehynn

Nuclear Muffin said:

Scroll to the end of your list and you'll find all 10 games and an Ambassador Video that sends you Spotpass messages regarding future updates.

Enjoy!

I kid you not, I don't have a "Your Downloads" option under System Settings o_O

EDIT: Oh, its under the eShop settings... I have the option to REdownload them, WTF... anyway, here they come!

Mistle

Rehynn said:
I kid you not, I don't have a "Your Downloads" option under System Settings o_O
Go into the e-shop, then scroll to the very left for the settings. Also, if you're PAL, it's "Titles You've Downloaded".

EDIT: Well I assume it's a PAL thing, as most people have been saying "Your Downloads"

Poyunch

Mistle said:
Man, you guys weren't overreacting when you said downloading these was a hassle...
Downloading the E3 trailers was much worse since the files were so big. :p

PKrockin said:
It takes like a million hits at level 3 Attack, but yes. They give good experience IIRC.
Noted. :D

Anth0ny

Agent Unknown said:
So I made my way to the northeastern palace in Zelda II (which as far as I can tell is the only dungeon immediately accessible) and I can't get past the orange Iron Knuckle, forgot how brutal this game is! Anybody got a strategy on how to deal competently with this guy:

Zelda-II-Iron-Knuckle.jpg

Jump and slash at his helmet. Once you get the timing down, you hit it every time and they become quite easy to defeat.

I'm seriously loving Zelda II. It would be perfect if they didn't send you all the way back to the princess sleeping (without your exp points) every time you died. I wish Nintendo made a new Zelda game in this style. Imagine a more fleshed out overworld? More spells and power ups? damn.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nuclear Muffin said:

Enjoy!
How anyone not reading neogaf is supposed to know that?!? Thanks for the tip, I thought for a while there was a problem with my eligibity.

Whoops, looks like I goofed. Let me try that again.

Go to the eShop

Go to your eShop Settings (scroll all the way to the left)

Go to Titles You Downloaded

Scroll down through your list and you'll find all 10 games and an ambassador video that sends you spotpass messages regarding future ambassador updates.

Enjoy!

marc^o^ said:
How anyone not reading neogaf is supposed to know that?!? Thanks for the tip, I thought for a while there was a problem with my eligibity.

Well, Nintendo US and Japan did give out instructions, but NOE haven't done so yet (yes, they're complete retards)

They'll probably send out a message giving other people instructions later on today I'd imagine.

marc^o^ said:

Nintendo probably believes that if you bought a 3DS early, then you surf some kind of video game forum.

Mistle

Why do I have to use Y to scroll through menus? o_O

Also, pressing B to run and A to jump is just as annoying as ever. Y to run and B to jump is so much better...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Downloaded the NES games this morning.

Playing NES games like it's 1988.

Good times.

Dear Nintendo, I would like more console VC on 3DS. NES/SNES/etc on the go or in bed is nice.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Mistle said:
Why do I have to use Y to scroll through menus? o_O

Also, pressing B to run and A to jump is just as annoying as ever. Y to run and B to jump is so much better...

Y maps to SELECT. In old games SELECT was used to ...select between menu options.

Mistle said:
Yup. It pretty much ruins Mario for me since you constantly have to hold down the run button and jump at the same time. Somehow Nintendo got this right generations ago with the Super Gameboy, which had a B/A-Y/B toggle, but they've been screwing up ever since. I can't for the life of me figure out any good reason not to include the option.

Mistle

Tempy said:
Y maps to SELECT. In old games SELECT was used to ...select between menu options.
I cannot believe I didn't know this. I got into gaming a console generation after the NES, but it still seems like something I would have learnt throughout all these years haha. The select button now makes sense!

Luigiv

marc^o^ said:
It's explained under the news tab.

How the eff do you play NES golf? I can't fucking hit the ball 90 percent of the time and when i manage to hit it i cant go more then 40 yards, wtf.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OK, maybe it's the lack of my morning coffee...but Super Mario Bros isn't working for me? The controls don't respond at all :\

edit - alright, apparently I just forgot how unintuitive the start menu in the NES version of SMB is...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
gofreak said:
OK, maybe it's the lack of my morning coffee...but Super Mario Bros isn't working for me? The controls don't respond at all :\
Are you keeping in mind that B and A are the only face buttons that work?

PKrockin

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Yup. It pretty much ruins Mario for me since you constantly have to hold down the run button and jump at the same time. Somehow Nintendo got this right generations ago with the Super Gameboy, which had a B/A-Y/B toggle, but they've been screwing up ever since. I can't for the life of me figure out any good reason not to include the option.

I prefer B + Y but A + B isn't really causing me problems or anything.

Also New Super Mario Bros. had the option to switch.

Downloaded a few of the NES games and I am happy :)

The quicksave function from the Wii VC is back and the games play just as good as they did on the original console.

The only negative point I have is that the screen seems to be horizontally streched just a tiny bit. It makes part of the screen unecessarily blurry.
Aside from that it's 10 NES games I got for free so what am I even complaining about? :D

syoaran

Excellent, but with so much xenoblade I will not be able to partake in some retro gaming for some time.

Saying that, a Mario Bros is still so addictive after so many years.

Top Bottom