• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Ambassador - NES games are available for download... now!

Peagles

polg said:
I've just realized that I had played Mario & Yoshi before (can't remember when, I never owned a NES!).

I thought that too, but then I remembered I played it on Gameboy years ago!

Muskweeto

I am reliving my childhood and loving every moment. I've been playing all day and have already beaten the first quest in LOZ and I've just crossed the water on the raft in Zelda II and I play Balloon Fight and Yoshi when I want to take a break. My days off of work couldn't have come at a better time.

But I fear I've burnt myself out, tomorrow I shall enjoy the sun and frolic In the meadows.

Muskweeto said:
Ugh, the real nightmare are the blue ones. (Assuming you're talking about Zelda II.)
Yes I am talking about Zelda II. I was killed by the very first one in the first temple. They haunt me like 20 years later.

Mockingbird said:
Man, Balloon Fight is pretty good. anyone here know how many levels there are?

Yeah, it's good fun. Shallow, but a lot more polished than other early NES games and probably the best of those initial arcade ports.

From memory, the levels are infinite for the main campaign. Balloon Trip features 50 ranks but that one is infinite too.

I hope this opens some peoples' eyes to how the original Metroid remains entirely enjoyable today. There's an unfortunate perception that has floated into GAF in recent years that it's somehow unplayable. Whatever that means.

It's even pretty unique in its own franchise - Super Metroid took a lot of inspiration from the original and made things much better, but there's a few elements that were lost along the way. The original still offers these and that's a big reason why it's essential material for anyone who enjoys the series.

GeekyDad

_Alkaline_ said:
I hope this opens some peoples' eyes to how the original Metroid remains entirely enjoyable today. There's some weird perception that has floated into GAF in recent years that it's somehow unplayable. Whatever that means.

It's even pretty unique in its own franchise - Super Metroid took a lot of inspiration from the original and made things much better, but there's a few elements that were lost along the way. The original still offers these and that's a big reason why it's essential material for anyone who enjoys the series.

Yeah, definitely still very playable and fun. I tinkered with the other ones, and I can see getting more mileage out of SMB (of course) and Yoshi, but I probably spent most of my time yesterday with Metroid. Samus is surprisingly responsive. Been a long time since I played the game, but mechanically, it's held up incredibly well. Her movements are very natural.

Chopper

I tucked into Ice Climbers for the first time (the only game here that I've never previously played), and have enjoyed it. But the collision detection is brutal. If jumping between platforms was tighter, it would be legitimately brilliant. I'm sure the physics are integral to the nostalgic charm of the game, but the game has aged noticably as a result.

Sinthetic

Took about 5 minutes to download them all. It's gonna take longer to sort out my home screen than it did to download em'.

Looking forward to trying a few of them.

Started playing Zelda, and the charm with that game is being able to enter any dungeon at any time. My first Dungeon was the third one. Still holds well despite how old it is. I dont like using the D-pad as it is very sluggish opposed to the numb.

Arren

Starwolf_UK said:
So now that they're up in Europe I'll post a quick question. Are they running in 60Hz?
Yes, to my great delight they're definitely running at their correct speed. :)

sphinx

the piano man
games up in Germany as well, that was rather hasslefree.

I tried zelda 2 just to see how they brought the NES games to the 3DS..

and everything looks very small and I am not very comfortable with the feeling of the D-pad it feels like I have to press harder than in NES controllers

Chopper said:
I tucked into Ice Climbers for the first time (the only game here that I've never previously played), and have enjoyed it. But the collision detection is brutal. If jumping between platforms was tighter, it would be legitimately brilliant. I'm sure the physics are integral to the nostalgic charm of the game, but the game has aged noticably as a result.

Yeah, the jumping between platforms is freaking annoying, keep just missing the edge.

Jazzem

Kinda sad to see not everyone's enjoying these so much, I was born in 1991 and still feel good NES games hold up fine. The likes of Zelda and Metroid admittedly are tough ones to love at first due to their difficulty+lack of guidance, but sticking with them proves to be incredibly rewarding and fun. Just don't be afraid to occasionally consult an FAQ or map, there's a bit in Zelda II where you're supposed to find an invisible object under a table :p

Also, I must be among the very few that is actually fine with the A/B setup! But the option to use Y/B should still be included in the eventual update.

Oh and thank God these are 60Hz in PAL regions \o/

Nessus

_Alkaline_ said:
I hope this opens some peoples' eyes to how the original Metroid remains entirely enjoyable today. There's an unfortunate perception that has floated into GAF in recent years that it's somehow unplayable. Whatever that means.

It's far from unplayable, but of the core series I'd say it's the least fun.

The controls are clunky/unforgiving/restrictive, the level layout pretty much necessitates a map. Some aspects are wholly unintuitive, such as being expected to know somehow that you need an ice beam to beat the game. Combined with the extreme difficulty and always starting out with 50 health no matter how many energy tanks you have.

And Metroid is my favorite series, I own every Metroid game (except Pinball. Not too broken up about that).

And yeah, I'd even place Other M before the original Metroid in terms of being an enjoyable game. Hunters is about the only one I'd rank lower, but that's not really even a Metroid game.

It sounds harsh, but I think it's just a reflection of how good the rest of the series is. From Metroid II onward the series has always featured tight controls.

Metroid is still good for an NES game, there's a lot of content there, laid out with a certain internal logic to it; it's not a glorified arcade game. It has great music. Great aesthetic. But sometimes I do think it's one of those games that was pretty much made obsolete by its sequels.

DeVeAn

Maybe I am crazy but, why are people so thrilled here? I assume most early adopters are long time Nintendo fans that probably own these games multiple times. Yeah the games are Free, not really since we paid higher price, but don't you see a little issue here?

Example is I own most of these on the Wii VC, yet what I am seeing is these roms will have to be purchased again for the 3ds. Why? I mean you buy a song or album and you can play it on multiple hardware and pay once. So why can't I carry these games over with me? I don't think I should have to pay to play/own the same game again and again. I mean it's still the same network I am downloading from right?

Not trying to rain on the parade just surprised at the whole dealio.

Javier

Super Mario Bros is a game I know too damn well, yet I never get tired of it. I load it and the first thing I do is beat it in the shortest possible route (8 levels), and according to the Activity log, I did it in 17 minutes. Heh.

Five dungeons and every overworld item gotten in Zelda 1 first quest. Really enjoying Wrecking Crew and Yoshi as well.

Josh7289

DeVeAn said:
Maybe I am crazy but, why are people so thrilled here? I assume most early adopters are long time Nintendo fans that probably own these games multiple times. Yeah the games are Free, not really since we paid higher price, but don't you see a little issue here?

Example is I own most of these on the Wii VC, yet what I am seeing is these roms will have to be purchased again for the 3ds. Why? I mean you buy a song or album and you can play it on multiple hardware and pay once. So why can't I carry these games over with me? I don't think I should have to pay to play/own the same game again and again. I mean it's still the same network I am downloading from right?

I noticed that too, about possibly having to re-buy the same games because they're on 3DS now.

Peru

DeVeAn said:

Mostly excited about the GBA games.

DeVeAn said:

I never owned an Nintendo system before the GC, so (outside of Metroid and Mario of course), I've never really played these games. And screw buying NES games on VC.

Nessus said:
It's far from unplayable, but of the core series I'd say it's the least fun.

The controls are clunky/unforgiving/restrictive, the level layout pretty much necessitates a map. Some aspects are wholly unintuitive, such as being expected to know somehow that you need an ice beam to beat the game. Combined with the extreme difficulty and always starting out with 50 health no matter how many energy tanks you have.

And Metroid is my favorite series, I own every Metroid game (except Pinball. Not too broken up about that).

And yeah, I'd even place Other M before the original Metroid in terms of being an enjoyable game. Hunters is about the only one I'd rank lower, but that's not really even a Metroid game.

It sounds harsh, but I think it's just a reflection of how good the rest of the series is. From Metroid II onward the series has always featured tight controls.

Metroid is still good for an NES game, there's a lot of content there, laid out with a certain internal logic to it; it's not a glorified arcade game. It has great music. Great aesthetic. But sometimes I do think it's one of those games that was pretty much made obsolete by its sequels.

I agree. Zero Mission in particular kinda made the original look like crap.

Electivirus said:
I agree. Zero Mission in particular kinda made the original look like crap.

Metroid offers a degree of claustrophobia and solitariness that you don't get from any other Metroid game. This is the result of several elements - including copy&paste environments, before you mention them - but much of it is through concentrated design.

Of course the various sequels in the franchise are superior games. But how does that diminish what Metroid offers?

Inferior does not equal not worth playing.

As for Zero Mission, I admire its intense pacing and various additions, but it can't touch the desolation or sheer challenge of the original. Its not entirely a better game, though overall it no doubt is.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Zelda I and II are the only console Zeldas i never played, so i can't wait to try them. Although i expect to get stuck more easily than the others.

And really, Nintendo should have made it more obvious as to where to find these free NES Games or at least tell us exactly where to go. The eShop is a mess to navigate.

Nuclear Muffin said:
The games are up here in the UK now. Bizzarely enough, it seems like they've taken the EU ROMS and run them in 60hz!

SMB doesn't have the sped up music like the PAL version and seems to run at the normal NTSC speed!

And they're definitely the EU versions because "Yoshi" is called "Mario & Yoshi" over here!

Edit: Just double checked, yep. They're running at full speed 60hz allright :D Ok, so why can't we have to option to play Wii VC games in 60hz now?
Yup, I suspected as much. And this has been possible in emulators forever, yet Nintendo won't do it for Wii VC.

Anyway, the games are definitely a bit too dark as some people have mentioned. I don't get the people who want to play them in 1:1 though, the games look fine and they run in 4:3, as they should.

I also don't get the people who completely dismiss ALL of these games. Half of them or so I can see, but all of them? That's just silly. I guess some of you can't stand playing games where you have to explore on your own, or that requires some actual skill.

I don't have any problems with the dpad, or that they have A+B instead of Y+B. I got to 8-4 in SMB without any problems, but I died there because I made a few mistakes. Obviously Y+B is better, but I doubt Nintendo will change the buttons, or even allow us to configure them. They don't allow it for GB/GBC games, and they don't allow it on the Wii VC, so it's probably not going to happen here either.

"Boy, you're rich!"

10dxeh2.jpg

DeVeAn said:

This is my biggest concern over Nintendo's foray into downloadable gaming. I had really expected the Wii would have introduced folders or better ways to organize your collection by now.

I believe you'll be able to export your Wii VC catalog to the Wii-U (much like DSi to 3DS), but I would prefer being able to share the content I've purchased through the Nintendo Shops with my 3DS without having to repurchase hundreds of VC Games (which I will never do). I would be much more likely to revisit all my VC titles for the various systems, if I could play them on my 3DS.

If i'm at my TV already, odds are I'll play something on PS3 or maybe even a Wii title, I just want all my VC content for when I'm on the go. I've been a good enough Nintendo customer over the years I think this is perfectly reasonable, plus it would be a huge selling point for the 3DS if people could access all the VC content they've already bought on the Wii for free.

Didn't someone say that the games don't save? Played Mario Bros. for ~5 minutes an hour ago, left the game, turned off the 3DS (no stand by, turned it off completely), just turned on the 3DS, started Mario and had the option to restart the game or continue where I was (which I did and it worked just fine).

LCfiner

I downloaded all the games last night. And I admit this is petty but the procedure was so clunky and cumbersome that I almost stopped after the 2nd game out of principle.

Can someone please show Nintendo how to make a fast and efficient storefront UI? all the extra taps and scrolling to get where you want to go is annoying.

but, hey, SMB is still fun so i guess it's worth it

Frankfurter said:
Didn't someone say that the games don't save? Played Mario Bros. for ~5 minutes an hour ago, left the game, turned off the 3DS (no stand by, turned it off completely), just turned on the 3DS, started Mario and had the option to restart the game or continue where I was (which I did and it worked just fine).

That's similar to how the Wii Virtual Console works.

The Virtual Console on the 3DS added the ability to save a single save state that you could load at any time.

That's what the NES VC on the 3DS lacks so far.

DeVeAn said:

I agree.. but isn't it just the current situation that's led to NES games being on the 3ds store in the first place? The NES games are coming for others later, but will there be more after that?

Up until now, i had assumed they would only ever have retro consoles on new consoles, and retro handhelds on new handhelds; never overlap.

No idea why, probably because their network team is a bunch of morans and the concept of one store to rule them all eludes them!

Roto13

Maxrpg said:
give me 3d classic shadowgate and deja vu, nintendo. god yes.
I love those games (and Uninvited) but turning static backgrounds like those into 3D would be kind of weird since the only thing in the foreground is a cursor. :p
beje said:
I think they actually emulated that. The games have some little borders on top and bottom that appear to be exactly 8px wide each.
No. Those are empty even when playing 3DS games.
Anasui Kishibe said:
wow, finally got the games available on the shop

a WHOLE DAY later, fuck you Nintendo
You mean... the day you were supposed to get them ever since the original press release?

qq more

DeVeAn said:

The only game I own prior to the Ambassador NES games on the 3DS was just SMB1.

Top Bottom