• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Ambassador - NES games are available for download... now!

imthemaid

Banned
AndyMoogle said:
I guess some of you can't stand playing games where you have to explore on your own, or that requires some actual skill.

I think it's what you're saying, and a combination of other reasons.

1. The desire for constant rewards and to always be told or shown how amazing you are.
2. A lack of imagination to fill in the blanks of an aesthetic that relies more on implied elements.
3. A genuine dislike for the look and sound of NES games. (This reason--unlike some of the others--doesn't depress me. Most NES games have a common artistic thread and are very distinct.)
4. Pre-SNES games feel very raw. (Design philosophies, less testing/polish, flicker, software not always matching up well with software limitations and, again, the look.)
5. An aversion to things that aren't contemporary.
6. Ubiquitous genres of the era conflicting with genre taste.

How people react to these old games today gives an interesting insight into why things are the way they are now. Including why popular modern games often make me feel like I'm being treated like a simpleton, like I'm not actually even playing the game, or like I'm moving through a carefully-planned carnival/movie ride.

Even if you don't enjoy NES games, you should still--even if only by virtue of the fact that you don't enjoy them--realize that they're in many ways unique to the era, and so at the very least hold historical value. I find it repulsive when people bitch about SMB, Zelda, or Metroid not even being worth the time it took to download them, while equating any love or appreciation with nostalgia.

Gino

DeVeAn said:
Maybe I am crazy but, why are people so thrilled here? I assume most early adopters are long time Nintendo fans that probably own these games multiple times. Yeah the games are Free, not really since we paid higher price, but don't you see a little issue here?

Example is I own most of these on the Wii VC, yet what I am seeing is these roms will have to be purchased again for the 3ds. Why? I mean you buy a song or album and you can play it on multiple hardware and pay once. So why can't I carry these games over with me? I don't think I should have to pay to play/own the same game again and again. I mean it's still the same network I am downloading from right?

Not trying to rain on the parade just surprised at the whole dealio.
You don't get the IPad version of an App for free when you by the Iphone version. Software is not music.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Gino said:
You don't get the IPad version of an App for free when you by the Iphone version. Software is not music.
What? Yes you do. All iPhone apps can be used on the iPad. In many cases, apps are universal so that you only buy one app for both devices.

Sorry if this has been asked, but can you play these games at their normal resolution the same way you can GameBoy and DS games? I thought you did that by holding the select button on startup, but it's not working for me.

mclem

digita1alchemy said:
Sorry if this has been asked, but can you play these games at their normal resolution the same way you can GameBoy and DS games? I thought you did that by holding the select button on startup, but it's not working for me.

Um. They are running at their normal resolution. The 3DS's top screen happens to match the NES's vertical resolution.

Edit: Random thought - I wonder if that's no coincidence. If they already had vague plans to release NES titles on the 3DS VC - as the speed of implementation after the announcement suggests - I wonder if they picked that resolution precisely *because* it matched the NES for a straight 1-1 transfer.

imthemaid said:
They're at their normal resolution by default and no other resolution is available.

Oh, I didn't even realize that. Well the games look off, then. They just have this really soft look about them that I don't like.

Ulthwe

mclem said:
Um. They are running at their normal resolution. The 3DS's top screen happens to match the NES's vertical resolution.
No, they're not. There's visible "blurrines" (or Antialiasing as you prefer) on the image. Not to say that it renders the games unplayable, but I'd like them to be 1/1. Maybe the final versions...

beje

Banned
digita1alchemy said:
Oh, I didn't even realize that. Well the games look off, then. They just have this really soft look about them that I don't like.

That's the exact very same horizontal stretch they have on the original hardware before being rendered to a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Ulthwe said:
No, they're not. There's visible "blurrines" (or Antialiasing as you prefer) on the image. Not to say that it renders the games unplayable, but I'd like them to be 1/1. Maybe the final versions...

As explained a dozen of times already in this thread, they're 1/1 and accurately emulated. That crystal clear and crisp look you're probably used to "thanks" to shitty emulation is actually completely wrong.

Gino

chubigans said:
What? Yes you do. All iPhone apps can be used on the iPad. In many cases, apps are universal so that you only buy one app for both devices.
Fine, If you buy an Xbox game you don't get the windows version for free.

Also, you don't get the IPAD Version for free, you can play the Iphone vision blown up or small.

M3d10n

digita1alchemy said:
They are slightly scaled horizontally (scanlines are mapped 1:1), so some pixels appear slightly fuzzy.

Also, with 3D off the 3DS screen does look softer because there are no visible vertical borders between the pixels (which act as a physical sharpen mask filter in LCD screens).

Ulthwe

beje said:
That's the exact very same horizontal stretch they have on the original hardware before being rendered to a 4:3 aspect ratio.

As explained a dozen of times already in this thread, they're 1/1 and accurately emulated. That crystal clear and crisp look you're probably used to "thanks" to shitty emulation is actually completely wrong.
I stand corrected then.

garth2000

Zelda 2 question

Does anyone remember if back in the day you had to press "start", choose a spell and the press "select" to use it, only to have to go through the same process again to use the same spell again?

I only have the shield spell at the moment and it seems super cumbersome to have to go through the process to deploy it a second time.

Futureman

quick question.

so it said Streetpass still works with the NES games, right? So that means if I'm sitting there playing an NES games, I can still get Streetpassed.

But what if I'm playing Zelda, and just close the lid (NOT VC suspend). Will it still receieve SP then, or only is it only if I have the system open?

beje

Banned
Futureman said:
quick question.

so it said Streetpass still works with the NES games, right? So that means if I'm sitting there playing an NES games, I can still get Streetpassed.

But what if I'm playing Zelda, and just close the lid (NOT VC suspend). Will it still receieve SP then, or only is it only if I have the system open?

They're 3DS apps, so they should behave just the same as the rest.

Boney

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Metroid offers a degree of claustrophobia and solitariness that you don't get from any other Metroid game. This is the result of several elements - including copy&paste environments, before you mention them - but much of it is through concentrated design.

Of course the various sequels in the franchise are superior games. But how does that diminish what Metroid offers?

Inferior does not equal not worth playing.

As for Zero Mission, I admire its intense pacing and various additions, but it can't touch the desolation or sheer challenge of the original. Its not entirely a better game, though overall it no doubt is.
Man Metroid fans sure love to talk about the weirdest things.

It's a game where you run and shoot stuff, and then you get more stuff so you can shoot them some more or turn into a plasma ball and screw them, and you gotta play smart and find the stuff so you can kill more stuff and find more stuff.

StreetPass, SpotPass, pedometer... everything should work fine when playing the NES games. After all, these are 3DS apps. That's why you can use notes, the browser, etc, while playign the games.

And the games will even have more features like save states and multiplayer in the future, once they are finished. Remember, we have the beta versions. We will be able to update to the full versions once they are finished.

But, all those features are not going to be available with the GBA games. The GBA are an exception. Those games are not going to be available for purchase.

DoctorWho said:
Now that I've played all of them we need more information on the GBA games. Hopefully we get them soon!

And more importantly, their coins, right?

Fernando Rocker said:
But, all those features are not going to be available with the GBA games. The GBA are an exception. Those games are not going to be available for purchase.

If you actually believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Cheesemeister said:
And more importantly, their coins, right?

If you actually believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Well, if the games are available for purchase later, then I assume the finished versions of those games are going to also act as a complete 3DS app, complete with all the extra features.

Fernando Rocker said:
StreetPass, SpotPass, pedometer... everything should work fine when playing the NES games. After all, these are 3DS apps. That's why you can use notes, the browser, etc, while playign the games.

And the games will even have more features like save states and multiplayer in the future, once they are finished. Remember, we have the beta versions. We will be able to update to the full versions once they are finished.

Are the seriously planning on never releasing these GBA games for sale. I'd almost rather wait and get fully compatible GBA/3DS versions of the games.

beje

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
Well, if the games are available for purchase later, then I assume the finished versions of those games are going to also act as a complete 3DS app, complete with all the extra features.

I also think that. They most likely decided to release them as DS-mode apps that run natively (because the DS has GBA hardware inside) to have "something" for the ambassadors while they try to work out an usable GBA emulator in 3DS mode, and used the "no plans" wording in case they're not successful at that and have to ditch the idea.

NewFresh

DoctorWho said:
Are the seriously planning on never releasing these GBA games for sale. I'd almost rather wait and get fully compatible GBA/3DS versions of the games.
I believe they used the "We currently have no plans" wording, so who knows.

DoctorWho said:

They have said several times that they don't have plans to release them to the general public. But if they do it later, I'm pretty sure we will get the upgraded versions for free.

Such a joy to play through The Legend of Zelda again on my 3DS.

Yes, I wish it was stretched horizontally, but I'm still having a lot of fun with it.

MrCookiepants said:
Man, these games aren't even worth the 4 seconds it takes to download them. Looking forward to the GBA titles though.

mst3kseriously.gif

ToD_

beje said:

Sort of. On a CRT it would get stretched to a 4:3 aspect ratio (slightly rectangular pixels), but unlike LCD screens CRTs are not fixed pixel and will not have any scaling artifacts. The NES games on the 3DS do get those scaling artifacts, like the slight shimmering you notice when the screen scrolls horizontally due to 1 pixel basically being stretched over less than 2. It would be nice if there was an option to have it displayed 1:1, despite it looking a tad squished that way.

YAY:
Balloon Fight
Super Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Zelda II

NAY:
Ice Climber
Mario & Yoshi
NES Open
Donkey Kong Jr.
Wrecking Crew

Well I'm happy that they were free, I probably would've only paid for Mario and Zelda.
Some of these are pretty painful to play through now (Ice Climber) or get boring extremely quickly (Wrecking Crew) and this is coming from somebody for who a NES was their first console...

Oh yeah: "I AM ERROR" hahahaha holy shit this made me laugh for like 5 minutes straight!

Futureman

Mr. Wonderful said:
I find Super Mario Bros. impossible to play with the 3DS's controls. Makes me worry about other games that use the Dpad.

I'm not going to say anyone is wrong, but I got used to it after like 2 minutes. I'm not an uber-gamer or anything either, Super Meat Boy kicked my ass for example.

Javier

Scarecrow said:
Oh, lawd! I forgot, how do you save in LoZ?
Press start to go to the pause screen, switch to Player 2 (Hold L+R then press Y), press Up+A, switch back to Player 1, then save.

I had no problems with the Dpad or using B+A in SMB. Sure, it's not quite as good as it should be, but it's far from impossible to play.

Peagles said:
3DS Metroid is A to jump and B to shoot, but I'm sure my NES copy is the other way around?

No, the one they switched them around for was the version included in Metroid Prime for GC. Probably because it was like that for Metroid Prime itself and the GC had this huge A button. It's A to jump and B to shoot in every other version.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mr. Wonderful said:
I find Super Mario Bros. impossible to play with the 3DS's controls. Makes me worry about other games that use the Dpad.

I didn't find it impossible, but I did get a Game Over on 8-4 which is very unusual for me. (I play through SMB maybe 15-20 times a year).

I also found the horizontal controls in Ice Climber a bit shitty, but it's been a long time since I've played it so I assume that's more chaulked up to the game itself than the 3DS.

firelink

Banned
Did anyone else notice that, when playing the Legend of Zelda and Metroid, when a lot of enemies are on the screen, the game slows down and lags?

I lol'd

firelink said:
Did anyone else notice that, when playing the Legend of Zelda and Metroid, when a lot of enemies are on the screen, the game slows down and lags?

I lol'd
That's what heppens on the NES. VC games keep the imperfections of the original versions. They're not remakes.

DeVeAn said:
Maybe I am crazy but, why are people so thrilled here? I assume most early adopters are long time Nintendo fans that probably own these games multiple times. Yeah the games are Free, not really since we paid higher price, but don't you see a little issue here?

Example is I own most of these on the Wii VC, yet what I am seeing is these roms will have to be purchased again for the 3ds. Why? I mean you buy a song or album and you can play it on multiple hardware and pay once. So why can't I carry these games over with me? I don't think I should have to pay to play/own the same game again and again. I mean it's still the same network I am downloading from right?

Not trying to rain on the parade just surprised at the whole dealio.

Maybe you should hold back your tears until this actually happens? No games are even purchasable on both systems yet. You're just assuming it'll be like that.

firelink

Banned
Oni Link 666 said:
That's what heppens on the NES. VC games keep the imperfections of the original versions. They're not remakes.

I wasn't complaining.

I actually thought it was awesome.

This is the first time I've REALLY played the original Metroid. The only other time was a half-assed attempt on Virtual Console on the Wii.

But I have to say right now, I am loving the hell out of it. So far it is super easy (just got the first energy tank and the missiles), but I love making a map. Fuck the people these days who need online guides and shit to play games like this and Zelda. The feeling of doing this on your own is awesome.

Boney

Banned
The Mana Legend said:
This is the first time I've REALLY played the original Metroid. The only other time was a half-assed attempt on Virtual Console on the Wii.

But I have to say right now, I am loving the hell out of it. So far it is super easy (just got the first energy tank and the missiles), but I love making a map. Fuck the people these days who need online guides and shit to play games like this and Zelda. The feeling of doing this on your own is awesome.
Same thing happened to me, well I didn't make a map, but used a bit of my Zero Mission knowledge, and peeked a bit at Metroid Killer's map which has a layout, but no directions or anything. Surprisingly easy and surprisingly great.

Missed one missile tank that I think it's in Ridley.

Top Bottom