• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Ambassador - NES games are available for download... now!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
imthemaid said:
I think it's what you're saying, and a combination of other reasons.

1. The desire for constant rewards and to always be told or shown how amazing you are.
2. A lack of imagination to fill in the blanks of an aesthetic that relies more on implied elements.
3. A genuine dislike for the look and sound of NES games. (This reason--unlike some of the others--doesn't depress me. Most NES games have a common artistic thread and are very distinct.)
4. Pre-SNES games feel very raw. (Design philosophies, less testing/polish, flicker, software not always matching up well with software limitations and, again, the look.)
5. An aversion to things that aren't contemporary.
6. Ubiquitous genres of the era conflicting with genre taste.

How people react to these old games today gives an interesting insight into why things are the way they are now. Including why popular modern games often make me feel like I'm being treated like a simpleton, like I'm not actually even playing the game, or like I'm moving through a carefully-planned carnival/movie ride.

Even if you don't enjoy NES games, you should still--even if only by virtue of the fact that you don't enjoy them--realize that they're in many ways unique to the era, and so at the very least hold historical value. I find it repulsive when people bitch about SMB, Zelda, or Metroid not even being worth the time it took to download them, while equating any love or appreciation with nostalgia.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan from SNES onwards (Mario World and Pilotwings sucked me in), but before that I was a home computer boy with C64 and Amiga. So I never played the NES games and personally think they look a little ugly. Not sure what it is, as C64 games were similarly basic, but perhaps just the look of 8-bit console games is different. Although I seem to remember quite liking the look of master system games.

Will of course play them and give them a fair go, but I'm much more excited about the GBA games (currently busy with the fun mini-game 'download all the NES games one by one and get spat out to the front page of the store each time')

DeVeAn said:
Maybe I am crazy but, why are people so thrilled here? I assume most early adopters are long time Nintendo fans that probably own these games multiple times. Yeah the games are Free, not really since we paid higher price, but don't you see a little issue here?

Example is I own most of these on the Wii VC, yet what I am seeing is these roms will have to be purchased again for the 3ds. Why? I mean you buy a song or album and you can play it on multiple hardware and pay once. So why can't I carry these games over with me? I don't think I should have to pay to play/own the same game again and again. I mean it's still the same network I am downloading from right?

Not trying to rain on the parade just surprised at the whole dealio.
I don't see your problem at all. You WON'T have to purchase these games again for the 3DS. EVER. Why? Because you got them for free! How is this a problem?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Metroid seems to have some FPS issues while jumping from platforms to platforms near the beginning. I suppose that was also on the NES and the 3DS is just simulating it?

Bisnic said:
Metroid seems to have some FPS issues while jumping from platforms to platforms near the beginning. I suppose that was also on the NES and the 3DS is just simulating it?

Yes. Even though I'm not familiar with Metroid, I have played the beginnings of both the Wii VC version and this, and they have the same FPS issues.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Stumpokapow said:
I also found the horizontal controls in Ice Climber a bit shitty, but it's been a long time since I've played it so I assume that's more chaulked up to the game itself than the 3DS.
Horizontal movement in Ice Climber was always touchy.

LuFel

i complete 3DS Super Mario Bros and Metroid (with 6 e-tanks, 220 missiles, zerosuit samus final, without deaths), now to Zeldas 1 and 2...

Arren

I have a test tomorrow, but really I'd rather spend the rest of the evening playing Baloon Fight. It's fascinatingly addictive in its simplicity.

I know we can export the 3DS Notes as images to the SD cards... but... can we import images from the SD card to the 3DS Notes?

That way I just take a picture of a map online and paste it on the notes.

The Mana Legend said:
Not to mention Ice Climber in general has always been the worst game ever made.
You clearly haven't played the game with a friend or sibling. It's hilarious when both players try to kill each other. Well, it was back in the day at least.

It's far from being the worst game ever.

AndyMoogle said:
You clearly haven't played the game with a friend or sibling. It's hilarious when both players try to kill each other. Well, it was back in the day at least.

It's far from being the worst game ever.

I can kill my friends and siblings in other, better games.

Ice Climber is fucking awful. Always has been.

qq more

The Mana Legend said:
It is not a good game, but it's definitely not the worst game ever.

Play Sonic 06, it's seriously hell in Video Game form.

Was there this much bitching when inFamous was given away for the PSN outage?

I already owned inFamous, but it was nice to have a digital copy. I didn't complain.

ShockingAlberto said:

I already owned inFamous, but it was nice to have a digital copy. I didn't complain.

Problem is that it wasn't so much an outage for a lot of folks as it was the risk of your personal information being readily available on the black market.

No amount of free games could make up for that.

ShockingAlberto said:

there was this much bitching

AndyMoogle said:
Several times? I think that game messed up your brain.

By "played several times" I mean I've put the game into my 360 several times to attempt to make it passed the first level. When I finally did, I never played the game again.

Cwarrior

I got my 3ds ambassdor mail but how does it work,

-how many games do i get?
-do i have to pick 10 nes games
-where the gba games
-what does ambassdor certificate do

KaYotiX

Banned
I love the fact i now have these classics on the go :) I bought them on the VC but never wanted to play em on a 55" tv.

I REALLY hope Nintendo brings all the Wii VC to the 3DS, id be in heaven!!!!

Cwarrior said:

-where the gba games

C0mJu.jpg

This should really be in the OP.

Cwarrior said:

-where the gba games
You get all 10 NES games.

The GBA games won't be out until later this year.

The ambassador certificate gives you notifications regarding ambassador updates, such as when you'll be able to update these beta versions of the games to the full retail versions.

Skilletor

How the hell did I ever beat Zelda when I was like 6 or 7.

I'm in the first dungeon and I wonder, "Why would I try and push this block?"

Hardcore children.

idwl

Super mario brothers is not working for me at all. After I select it and am about to play it and press start it just freezes. Mario doesn"t move no matter what button I press. What's going on? What should I do?

qq more

The Mana Legend said:
By "played several times" I mean I've put the game into my 360 several times to attempt to make it passed the first level. When I finally did, I never played the game again.
Dude, if you've actually gotten further in Sonic 06 (or watched a certain LP), then you'd seriously understand why it's far worse than Ice Climbers.

It gets much worse... much much worse. :(

SmithnCo

The Mana Legend said:

It's not even as bad as Urban Champion, so no.

Also I just downloaded these and damn that was a fucking pain in the ass having to go through that menu.

Futureman

idwl said:
Super mario brothers is not working for me at all. After I select it and am about to play it and press start it just freezes. Mario doesn"t move no matter what button I press. What's going on? What should I do?

you are probably pausing the game with the "Y" button.

edit: though you say "mario doesn't move no matter what button" you press. So I dunno, I assume you would have hit Y again and unpaused it.

Boney

Banned
Skilletor said:

Hardcore children.
I can't find dungeon 2. Again! Happened to me a few years ago when I played it on Wii.

So far I've found 1,3,4,5 and 8 and 4's boss kicked my ass because I don't have much shit.

Fucking dungeon 2.

Aru

Oh man, downloading those games was a pain. Why couldn't they bring us back to the downloaded software page instead of eShop home ?

Anyway, the games are well emulated. Not really a fan of the 3DS dpad though.

Skilletor said:

Hardcore children.

It's so weird. I assume I learned a lot of this stuff from word-of-mouth. But where did they learn it from?

I was just thinking that last night. "How the fuck did my cousin know which bush to burn??"

I've been rockin the zeldadungeon.net guide

yeah yeah I know

McNum

Hmm, did Europe finally get a version of these NES games that runs at full speed? My Super Mario Bros timing is off, and I swear Link is moving faster than usual.

They do look pretty good on the 3DS screen, though.

Also, I forgot how to choose items in Legend of Zelda. Got the bow, how do I equip it?

Peagles

Oni Link 666 said:
No, the one they switched them around for was the version included in Metroid Prime for GC. Probably because it was like that for Metroid Prime itself and the GC had this huge A button. It's A to jump and B to shoot in every other version.

Oh yeh I'm probably getting confused with that then. Haven't played it on Gamecube since Prime came out, but my Dad bought me Metroid on NES for Christmas and I thought that was swapped too. I should try it again!

McNum said:
Hmm, did Europe finally get a version of these NES games that runs at full speed? My Super Mario Bros timing is off, and I swear Link is moving faster than usual.

Also, I forgot how to choose items in Legend of Zelda. Got the bow, how do I equip it?
Press start and move the cursor over the bow. Select pauses.

Is there a way to play these games with a perfect 1:1 pixel ratio? The "boot the game while pressing select" trick from the GBA and DS games doesn't seem to work, I always get some blurry stuff :(

Boney

Banned
McNum said:

You need arrows in order to be able to select the bow and use it too. You have the boomerang as well right? Heh I got lucky and those Moblins dropped bombs on me right away so Level 3 was a breeze.

Makes me wonder, can Japan owners change to player 2 and scream into the mic to kill those things?

zelda was and is a total word of mouth. you had to see it almost, or you'd spend tons of time pushing and bombing. i'd like to see how long it would take someone who never heard about it to get through it, let alone find everything

i was bummed out these games don't allow a restore point..

McNum

Boney said:
You need arrows in order to be able to select the bow and use it too. You have the boomerang as well right? Heh I got lucky and those Moblins dropped bombs on me right away so Level 3 was a breeze.
Ah, I forgot how stingy old games used to be. Free bow! No arrows! Should I have found the Boomerang already? Hm, did I enter the wrong dungeon?

Can someone help? LoZ froze on me and I reset it and now it just stays at the title screen and shows the intro story. I press start but nothing hapens.

Totalriot

McNum said:

Press start and then use the keypad to chose. But you'll have to buy arrows first and then each shot costs a rupie.

Boney

Banned
McNum said:
Ah, I forgot how stingy old games used to be. Free bow! No arrows! Should I have found the Boomerang already? Hm, did I enter the wrong dungeon?
It's in Level 1, you need to kill all the Moblins in a certain room, think it's upper left room or something.

There's also a better one in Level 2 if you don't wanna come back. I'd recommend getting the boomerang though, makes everything so much easier.

Top Bottom