• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Ambassador - NES games are available for download... now!

radioheadrule83 said:
They're really missing an opportunity not using 3D cartridges as the 3DS homescreen animations for the NES / SNES / GB / GBA titles. That would be much cooler imo! I'd love to see a spinning 3D NES cartridge instead of these little box things...
I'd bet they change that when the real versions of the games come out. These were just very quick hacks to give us Ambassadors a reason not to go apeshit over the price drop.

Zelda II

Still grinding... my Attack Level 4 still feels weak have not even beaten Palace 1 Boss yet
I've got my Life Spell and gone as far as death mountain

Korosenai

3 hours into the legend of zelda (first time i've ever played it, definitely used the guide), and i've finished six dungeons. This game is amazing, but would literally be impossible without a guide.

Going to finish it up, then finish legend of zelda 2, then links awakening, then im gonna restart ocarina of time 3d. So i'll have my hands full for a while. Should be alot of fun though.

Coins

Banned
NubInaTub said:
3 hours into the legend of zelda (first time i've ever played it, definitely used the guide), and i've finished six dungeons. This game is amazing, but would literally be impossible without a guide.

Going to finish it up, then finish legend of zelda 2, then links awakening, then im gonna restart ocarina of time 3d. So i'll have my hands full for a while. Should be alot of fun though.
Us old timers didn't need a guide for Zelda!

Peagles

Coins said:
Us old timers didn't need a guide for Zelda!

You didn't even look at the bundled map? That seems unnecessarily hard core, lol.

I think that map is guide enough, the rest should be exploration.

dwu8991

Banned
Metroid looks and plays really good even after all these years. It feels so amazing playing on a bright lcd screen. Nintendo really should make it a 3D classic.

NubInaTub said:

I beat it when I was 12 without a guide. It was relatively easy to do compared to beating many of the CRPGs out at the time.

NubInaTub said:
I honestly don't know how you did it.

No internet, far less games available to play, so we had plenty of time to invest. If you got stuck somewhere, you kept grinding until you figured it out.

oatmeal

Banned
dwu8991 said:
Metroid looks and plays really good even after all these years. It feels so amazing playing on a bright lcd screen. Nintendo really should make it a 3D classic.

If they do, all they would need to do is add a map and it'd be great!

Coins

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Bundled map, Nintendo help line, kids at school.

The daily "How far did you get?" huddle on the playground was, like, beta-GAF.
I never used the helpline. I was the first kid at school that beat Zelda so I was usually helping. If I got stuck I just went from screen to screen blowing every square up with bombs. I did use the bundled map, that only went so far. I can't remember what dungeon is was, but the entrance was found with a bomb. Took me a couple nights to find it. I think that was the first time a video game ever infuriated me.

Boney

Banned
Coins said:
I never used the helpline. I was the first kid at school that beat Zelda so I was usually helping. If I got stuck I just went from screen to screen blowing every square up with bombs. I did use the bundled map, that only went so far. I can't remember what dungeon is was, but the entrance was found with a bomb. Took me a couple nights to find it. I think that was the first time a video game ever infuriated me.
You find Ganon's shit by bombing I think. Never reached it myself.

Death Dealer said:
I beat it when I was 12 without a guide. It was relatively easy to do compared to beating many of the CRPGs out at the time.

Those were the days.

Burning every single bush on every screen. Bombing every inch of rock/wall. Touching every grave stone. Spending hours finding your way through the lost woods. Endlessly grinding so you could afford the new item.

I still remember where a lot of the hidden passages are. After playing countless hours it's embedded in my memory.

AbsoluteZero said:
But the positioning of the B & A buttons on the Game Boy series is analogue to that of the 3DS...
What's your point? My criticism of the positioning is entirely separate from how I feel about the comparison of the feel of the Gameboy and 3DS. The Gameboy was not as wide and easier to hold and also had mushier buttons.

Anyway, the SMB controls just aren't working for me. Have to angle my right hand uncomfortably just to do running jumps. Would have worked better if they had it as Y and B and switched run and jump to match NSMB. If only the buttons were lined up like they are on the NES *sigh*.

BY2K

Membero Americo
PounchEnvy said:
Anyone want to give me a hint for where the mirror is in Zelda II?

I'll tell you this; It's in the same village where the girl who is searching for it is.

DownWithTheShip said:
Those were the days.

Burning every single bush on every screen. Bombing every inch of rock/wall. Touching every grave stone. Spending hours finding your way through the lost woods. Endlessly grinding so you could afford the new item.

I still remember where a lot of the hidden passages are. After playing countless hours it's embedded in my memory.
As a kid I always drew maps for my NES games on pieces of loose leaf paper. I would end up losing pages or could not interpret what I drew.

Javier

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I know this question was probably asked but what does the Ambassador Certificate do?
Sends you SpotPass messages on when new games/updates are available regarding the Ambassador titles.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I know this question was probably asked but what does the Ambassador Certificate do?
Allows Nintendo to send Spotpass messages (probably "____ GBA game is available!") only to Ambassadors. Might as well download and turn on Spotpass for it.

markot

Banned
Wish I could listen to the balloon fight music and just pause it >_> I suck at the game but I looooooooove the music on the endless mode thingy...

Gravijah

markot said:
Wish I could listen to the balloon fight music and just pause it >_> I suck at the game but I looooooooove the music on the endless mode thingy...

i have come from the future, and i introduce to thee: mp3!

Boney

Banned
Javier said:
Yup. Don't leave that place yet.
>.< too late, I'm already at Ganon's keep.

Got the Red Ring though! This is confusing as shit with bombable walls and multiple paths everywhere!

What was in the 8th level? Spoiler it just in case

carlo6529

I was playing metroid. I shot a wall and rolled in. I didn't have any bombs and the wall closed in on me and i was stuck. I was forced to reset the game. Sucks, i didn't even write down a code.

Amir0x

Banned
god I just can't play NES games anymore, too outdated and unfun. I think only Zelda II and I will be played to any point out of this batch.

Top Bottom