• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Ambassador - NES games are available for download... now!

BooJoh

jamesinclair said:
Ignoring tonights megatons....

How the fuck do you play golf? I hit the ball and it goes like one foot.
Put it on slow at first, it helps, then Push A, when the arrow hits the left side of the meter hit A again (this determines power), and when the arrow gets back to where it started, hit A (this determines aim.)
consoul said:
So ambassadors, are we all getting a free megacradle or what?

I choose to call it NoA's Ark.
I doubt it. It'll probably come with Tri G and possibly be sold separately for $10-$15. But honestly, there are enough topics about that, let's not derail this one too.

cRIPticon

Peagles said:
Lol! I can't believe I never heard of this before... That is so cheap of them!

But then again, there are some older games that are alternating two player, like, player 1 dies, player 2 gets a go, player 2 dies, player 1 gets a go (and the scores are tracked and it will saying "Player 1 Start!" or "Player 2 Start!" before each go).

But with Metroid they were actually like, "take turns, then it's 2 player"? No scoring built in or anything?

Lol.

You explaining this just made me suddenly feel very old...

Futureman

So um, I could be wrong, but I think that if you are playing an NES VC game and simply close the screen, you cannot receive Streetpass. You must suspend the game, go to the home screen, and then close the lid. I believe you should still be able to get SP while you are playing the game.

I work at a college campus and I was getting 2-3 SPs per day. Then two days straight I was playing Zelda and simply closed the screen, never got any SP during those days. Come to work today, suspended to the home screen, and I already got an SP today after 1 hour at work.

Either I was very unlucky those two days, or no SP if you close lid while in the middle of gameplay.

BooJoh

Just a reminder for Ambassadors, Club Nintendo surveys are up for the NES games now. You have until 12/30/11 to complete them for 10 coins each.

Utako

Banned
Currently sick in bed. The perfect situation to indulge in poorly-emulated NES games. Using an FAQ for Zelda. I wish switching between browser and game didn't take 10 minutes.

Sinthetic said:
3 hours 36 minutes on Balloon Fight in past day. This game alone has made up for the price drop.
wat

DJ_Tet

Banned
The worst offender of '2P GAMEPLAY' has to be the original Double Dragon on NES.

I even remember the huge blowout in Nintendo Power where they showcased the game and the additional 2P fighting mode. But they did not go out of their way to explain the 2P main game was one player at a time.

The box didn't go out of it's way to explain that either. When I got home my buddy and I kept resetting the game and trying to get it so we could both play.

That said, it was still a solid game (although the 2P fighting mode sucked) but damnit, how can you make Double Dragon a 1P game? Luckily Sega didn't have that problem, although their control style was a little funky (more like double dragon II with directional attack buttons I think.)

Gino

Just Maxed all my levels in Zelda 2. Just 2 dungeons left and i'm done. Now I have the master key so the dungeons should be a lot easier as well.

It's been 24 years sense I first played it and I'm finally going to finish. Feels good man.

imthemaid

Banned
Utako said:
Currently sick in bed. The perfect situation to indulge in poorly-emulated NES games. Using an FAQ for Zelda. I wish switching between browser and game didn't take 10 minutes.

you missed out on the 10 free NES games thing?

Glix

Utako said:

wat

I can't decide which is more awful, thinking this is poor emulation, or constantly using a walkthrough for Zelda (how 'bout you TRY and at least play it, and then just look stuff up when you get stuck) How is that even fun?

DJ_Tet said:
The worst offender of '2P GAMEPLAY' has to be the original Double Dragon on NES.

I even remember the huge blowout in Nintendo Power where they showcased the game and the additional 2P fighting mode. But they did not go out of their way to explain the 2P main game was one player at a time.

The box didn't go out of it's way to explain that either. When I got home my buddy and I kept resetting the game and trying to get it so we could both play.

That said, it was still a solid game (although the 2P fighting mode sucked) but damnit, how can you make Double Dragon a 1P game? Luckily Sega didn't have that problem, although their control style was a little funky (more like double dragon II with directional attack buttons I think.)
Double Dragon was still an awesome game at least. I remember also being disappointed as a kid, especially because the game doesn't even turn your character into Jimmy Lee when it's Player 2's turn to play. At least there's still a possibility Double Dragon fighting mode for EVO 2012, please.

I admit it wasn't like a technical issue either, since River City Ransom exists and DD2 & 3 had proper coop modes, and those games were more demanding.

DJ_Tet

Banned
KittenMaster said:
Double Dragon was still an awesome game at least. I remember also being disappointed as a kid, especially because the game doesn't even turn your character into Jimmy Lee when it's Player 2's turn to play. At least there's still a possibility Double Dragon fighting mode for EVO 2012, please.

I admit it wasn't like a technical issue either, since River City Ransom exists and DD2 & 3 had proper coop modes, and those games were more demanding.

No doubt, at least Double Dragon was still a great 1P game. Could have been much worse, say something like Bad Dudes.

I think the decision to make DD probably was technical, since it had plenty of screen flicker in the 1P mode. But like you said, DD2 and 3 were probably better looking games and were 2P, both of those had tons of flicker though as well.

Could have been much worse, say something like Bad Dudes.
Yeah, Bad Dudes is an embarrassing port. Nothing had pixel movement on a system known for games that had fluid movement on top of sloppy collision detection.

jackdoe

Finished all the Club Nintendo surveys for these NES games. Had to come up with different variations of "excellent emulation, shit d-pad" to describe the Virtual Console experience.

Futureman

jackdoe said:
Finished all the Club Nintendo surveys for these NES games. Had to come up with different variations of "excellent emulation, shit d-pad" to describe the Virtual Console experience.

I started using the slide pad for Zelda 1 and love it. Not sure about the other games yet, haven't really played them.

Yenrot said:
When are we* meant to get Four Swords for free?

*All 3DS and DSi owners
Kinda the wrong thread...but I think they said this month (September) at E3. So we'll just have to wait for it to randomly appear. Or maybe it got delayed to add online! :(

Anywayz: having fun with SMB, and Zelda 1. Of all the highscore type games Donkey Kong Jr. Is my favorite even though I cant get past the second level lol.

Yen

WiiRevolution1 said:
Kinda the wrong thread...but I think they said this month (September) at E3. So we'll just have to wait for it to randomly appear. Or maybe it got delayed to add online! :(

Anywayz: having fun with SMB, and Zelda 1. Of all the highscore type games Donkey Kong Jr. Is my favorite even though I cant get past the second level lol.
Thanks, posted here because the iOS app is broken so no searching that (easy) way.

Anyway, on topic, I'm finding Zelda 1 so hard. Massive amounts of grinding needed, I think.

The Boat

Yenrot said:
Thanks, posted here because the iOS app is broken so no searching that (easy) way.

Anyway, on topic, I'm finding Zelda 1 so hard. Massive amounts of grinding needed, I think.
Grinding? Don't you mean Zelda 2?

YourMaster

Yenrot said:

Do tell. How do you expect to grind in this game?

Like I mentioned before in this tread, the game is meant to be played with this map, that was included in the box: Legend_of_zelda_map_front.jpg
It will make it a lot easier.

Edit:
O, zelda II, ok.
If you do plan to grind, do it as early in the game as possible, because you require a lot less xp to level up. Finishing temples will give you a free level up, which are better spend on later levels than on the early levels. If you are on level 6-6-6 before finishing a temple you are golden. I explained an easy way to grind in the early game in this post: Zelda II grinding

Yen

YourMaster said:
Do tell. How do you expect to grind in this game?

Like I mentioned before in this tread, the game is meant to be played with this map, that was included in the box: Legend_of_zelda_map_front.jpg
It will make it a lot easier.
Sorry it was a typo.
But thanks for that map because I still haven't finished Zelda 1.

YourMaster

Yenrot said:
Sorry it was a typo.
But thanks for that map because I still haven't finished Zelda 1.

I noticed. That map is most useful for getting you on your way. It doesn't really help you anymore when you're near the end of the game, but by that time you should've gotten the hang of the game.

oatmeal

Banned
I turned on Zelda 1 to run around a bit and holy shit, the slider is dreadful for it. And the D-Pad is in such a horrid place, and so uncomfortable that it won't do either.

Zelda II is great with the slider, SMB is decent...

But Christ is Zelda 1 bad with it.

Roto13

oatmeal said:
I turned on Zelda 1 to run around a bit and holy shit, the slider is dreadful for it. And the D-Pad is in such a horrid place, and so uncomfortable that it won't do either.

Zelda II is great with the slider, SMB is decent...

But Christ is Zelda 1 bad with it.
Analog controls are decent for moving in two directions or eight directions, and great for more directions than that, but they suck for four directions.

stabwound

Neo Member
Wow - this thread is a a good example of the generation gap amongst gamers. Never would I have expected to see comments like "Zelda/Metroid are fundamentally broken." I don't entirely blame you guys that feel this way, because it's a good example of how modern games hold the player's hand with things like quest pointers/compasses, etc. Things that were commonplace, and games that millions of people experienced and loved are now considered "fundamentally broken" by modern gamers.

This makes me a sad panda. :(

The comments from people that are discovering these games for the first time and really enjoying them are pretty cool, though. :)

So I surrendered my ambassador games and black 3DS to someone else in exchange for a brand new Flame Red 3DS. The irony? The squeaky D-pad that bothered me while playing Ambassador games so much does not exist on this red model, which has no such NES games. At least I'm more likely to pick up more Virtual Console stuff now, though, since it won't be literally annoying to play anymore.

BooJoh

stabwound said:
Wow - this thread is a a good example of the generation gap amongst gamers. Never would I have expected to see comments like "Zelda/Metroid are fundamentally broken." I don't entirely blame you guys that feel this way, because it's a good example of how modern games hold the player's hand with things like quest pointers/compasses, etc. Things that were commonplace, and games that millions of people experienced and loved are now considered "fundamentally broken" by modern gamers.

This makes me a sad panda. :(

The comments from people that are discovering these games for the first time and really enjoying them are pretty cool, though. :)
I don't think it all boils down to a generational gap. I'm 32 and I still think Zelda and Metroid are bordering on unplayable. I never had the patience to finish them as a kid, and that hasn't changed now. They're both fun games and have solid gameplay, but the nonlinearity and complete lack of direction combined with no automap make both just too much of a chore to play unassisted.

Top Bottom