• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Ambassador - NES games are available for download... now!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just a small thing, but can anyone tell me if you can suspend out to the home menu with these (and use the 4 in-game apps), or does it exit the game if you try to do that?

Euro here :'(

TheNatural

My Member!
Whenever the 3DS eventually gets hacked, I'm sure porting emulators will do a better job than this stuff. I t always boggles my mind how corporations with billions of dollars and have access to their own game and system code, can't come up with a better emulator than people who have hacked the system and put something like SNES9x or ZSNES on it.

I've never had a Wii to say, but does Nintendo's Virtual Console on there run games better or worse than the homebrew channel + emulation? That's always boggled my mind. And didn't SEGA hire a guy who was into emulation to do their collections on the Dreamcast?

AftAsher

Banned
EloquentM said:
If they filled the screen it would not be 1:1. They would have to make a filter just to fix the stretch from filling the screen horizontally.

You're right.

But dude, launch any of the GB Virtual console games pressing Select + Start when launching it, look how awesome they look on 1:1 native resolution, now go back to your 3DS ambassador NES, take a close look at the screen to see all the bluriness in the pixels, they just doesn't look like this

magie1.gif

AftAsher

Banned
The Mana Legend said:
Are people honestly complaining about the screen size of the NES games?

Sure, it's not that weird when you have struggled to play old games and scale them correctly on an HD display.

It's not a crazy topic for retro gaming fans.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
AftAsher said:
Come on guys, even a NES emulator on PSP has 1:1 resolution option.
But that's a 1:1 square pixel ratio, which is accurate for a Game Boy game but INACCURATE for an NES game (or TG16/SNES/Genesis).

It looks crisp and clean, but it's inaccurate.

imthemaid

Banned
TheNatural said:
Whenever the 3DS eventually gets hacked, I'm sure porting emulators will do a better job than this stuff.

I'm sure they won't. This looks--just like VC on the Wii--to be the best emulation available.

TheNatural said:
I've never had a Wii to say, but does Nintendo's Virtual Console on there run games better or worse than the homebrew channel + emulation? That's always boggled my mind. And didn't SEGA hire a guy who was into emulation to do their collections on the Dreamcast?

Snes9x was pretty awful on the Wii at first, but they improved it. Now it's really good, but it's still not as good as VC emulation.

suaveric

This question is a little out of place, but this seems to be the most active 3ds thread right now...

Is there a limit to how big of a sd card the 3ds will take? I figured I'd buy one new, large card for it and never have to worry about it again. Right now I'm deciding between 16gb and 32gb. The 3ds would accept a 32gb card, right? Thanks.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AftAsher said:
You're right.

But dude, launch any of the GB Virtual console games pressing Select + Start when launching it, look how awesome they look on 1:1 native resolution, now go back to your 3DS ambassador NES, take a close look at the screen to see all the bluriness in the pixels, they just doesn't look like this

magie1.gif
Yes, and as I noted on the previous page, the aspect ratio is ruined when NES and SNES games are viewed in 1:1 pixel mode.

GDGF

Soothsayer
suaveric said:
This question is a little out of place, but this seems to be the most active 3ds thread right now...

Is there a limit to how big of a sd card the 3ds will take? I figured I'd buy one new, large card for it and never have to worry about it again. Right now I'm deciding between 16gb and 32gb. The 3ds would accept a 32gb card, right? Thanks.

pretty sure you can use up to a 32.

suaveric said:

I have an 8GB card at home which works fine. The larger question is if you switch to a new card, can you redownload these titles?

Gravijah

Mailenstein said:
I was just thinking for a second how awesome it would have been if they gave us Mother 1+2+3 as a 3D Classic remake :X...

Might as well be begging for a Startropics sequel with all those other fools!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
gofreak said:
Just a small thing, but can anyone tell me if you can suspend out to the home menu with these (and use the 4 in-game apps), or does it exit the game if you try to do that?

Euro here :'(

It'll suspend your data, so you'll start back where you left off.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Zee-Row said:
Theres no way to save in Zelda 1 without dying is there? I know on the NES version you had to press start and up on controller 2 to bring up the save menu.

Yes. Hold [L]+[R] and press Y to switch between controller 1 and controller 2.

Pause the game, switch to controller 2, and then hold U and press A.

This means you should be able to pull off the "escape the old man" thing, too.

Because of this, I've only just realised you can redownload stuff they've taken off the eshop menu through 'my downloads' (so long as you downloaded it in the first place of course.)

Even though I had to delete some of those E3 trailers to make room, I can delete one I have now and then redownload an old one in its place. I thought they would just be gone for good!

beje

Banned
TheNatural said:
Whenever the 3DS eventually gets hacked, I'm sure porting emulators will do a better job than this stuff. I t always boggles my mind how corporations with billions of dollars and have access to their own game and system code, can't come up with a better emulator than people who have hacked the system and put something like SNES9x or ZSNES on it.

In fact, no. Those emulators are the perfect example of innacuracy, glitches and shitty hack jobs that fix some games while breaking others. FYI, the best SNES emulator out there is BSNES, which requires a 3GHz processor to make perfect timings and sync (which those emulators do not in order to run in pre-2000 PCs). Nintendo managed to reach that level of perfection with machines with a CPU as limited as the Wii and the 3DS, and they code a completely different emulator for each game to reach perfect emulation.

Really, I hate some people's perception of emulation as "put ROM in emulator and it runs even in a Nokia phone" that comes from warez.

TheNatural

My Member!
DavidDayton said:
Yes. Hold [L]+[R] and press Y to switch between controller 1 and controller 2.

Pause the game, switch to controller 2, and then hold U and press A.

This means you should be able to pull off the "escape the old man" thing, too.

Wait, what? There was a SAVE option in the original Zelda????

Mind blown.

oatmeal

Banned
Man, I had seen screens of the GB and GBC games in their native res, but I didn't know how fucking awesome it looked first hand.

Goddamn! The 3D on the border makes the screen look amazing.

Damnit, I'm going to play like this every time now.

WTF save in NES ZELDA?? my mind is blown!

ps. wtf people are complaining? I played some Super Mario Bro's this morning and it looked great.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AftAsher said:
You're right.

magie1.gif
The NES native resolution is 256x240 (even though most TVs only visualized 224 pixels vertically).
The 3DS top screen is 400x240. The games are 1:1 vertically, and they are stretched horizontally on the 3DS to match the 4:3 ratio they were designed for (TVs weren't square).
Full 1:1 would have an incorrect aspect ratio, and everything would look too thin.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
TheNatural said:
Wait, what? There was a SAVE option in the original Zelda????

Mind blown.

The "quit & save" feature exists in LoZ, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and Metroid.

Now I'm wondering if there's any chance it works on Kid Icarus. Probably not, but...

Branduil

The 3DS accurately displays the full vertical resolution of NES games. Complaining about the horizontal pixels being stretched and blurred is a bit odd since that's how it always was on the original system.

AftAsher

Banned
Jocchan said:
The NES native resolution is 256x240 (even though most TVs only visualized 224 pixels vertically).
The 3DS top screen is 400x240. The games are 1:1 vertically, and they are stretched horizontally on the 3DS to match the 4:3 ratio they were designed for (TVs weren't square).
Full 1:1 would have an incorrect aspect ratio, and everything would look too thin.

Just because the 3DS match the 4:3 aspect ratio as our old tv did years ago, doesn't mean that 1:1 its an incorrect aspect ratio, 240 x 224 thin or not its the best way IMO to play NES games.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Wait. People didn't know you could save in NES Zelda? Like, it was FAMOUS for that at the time.

Or are the two of you just referring to the "forced" save method?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AftAsher said:
Just because the 3DS match the 4:3 aspect ratio as our old tv did years ago, doesn't mean that 1:1 its an incorrect aspect ratio, 240 x 224 thin or not its the best way IMO to play NES games.
It's incorrect because it's not the aspect ratio the games were originally created for.
I get that you might enjoy it more, but I honestly can't really complain for the lack of something that's, in practice, as gross as stretching 4:3 pictures to 16:9. Ewwww.

Gravijah

AftAsher said:

But then the games don't look as they are supposed to.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
AftAsher said:
Just because the 3DS match the 4:3 aspect ratio as our old tv did years ago, doesn't mean that 1:1 its an incorrect aspect ratio
Actually, it does.

16:15 (the aspect ratio of the NES resolution in square pixels) is not the same 4:3, therefore it is inaccurate.

Aspect ratio is important, because while most people care about making pixels as square as possible, usually art direction in games are designed with the aspect ratio in mind. Nintendo decided to go with respecting the art and layout design rather than the square pixel.

And it's not like everything is blurry like actual offensive and disgusting filters do.

JetBlackPanda said:
WTF save in NES ZELDA?? my mind is blown!

ps. wtf people are complaining? I played some Super Mario Bro's this morning and it looked great.
Yeah I thought it looked fine, I just hate the button placement. I honestly don't see myself playing Mario much at on on my 3DS until they fix that.

I would have downloaded the titles already if my battery wasn't so low while it was recharging. I'll go back in 30mins to see if the LED light will be blue

As for what I'll be getting, just Wrecking Crew and Yoshi.

lol is the ambassador app just a 'video' with super slow scrolling text? Hilarious.

btw: can someone explain what to do in wrecking crew? Have no clue what's going on.

imthemaid

Banned
chickdigger802 said:
lol is the ambassador app just a 'video' with super slow scrolling text? Hilarious.

btw: can someone explain what to do in wrecking crew? Have no clue what's going on.

wreck everything that's wreckable in the correct order. and don't let the bad men touch you.

kind of like real life.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
If these were SNES games people would still complain. I expect the same amount of bitching and lolworthy arguments when the GBA games come out.

Shiggy

Tempy said:
If these were SNES games people would still complain. I expect the same amount of bitching and lolworthy arguments when the GBA games come out.

It would depend on the SNES choice. Here it is just that they choose games with little to no content that would be freely available asa flash game on Armor Games or Kongregate if released today. (Not talking of Zelda/SMB/Metroid of course!)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Tempy said:
Speaking of the GBA, those will probably allow to choose between 1:1 (240x160, likely with a border) and stretched (360x240 with interpolation), like GB/GBC games do.

Top Bottom