• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Ambassador - NES games are available for download... now!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Shiggy said:
It would depend on the SNES choice. Here it is just that they choose games with little to no content that would be freely available asa flash game on Armor Games or Kongregate if released today.

I'd probably be happier if they replaced something like Balloon Fight with Star Tropics, but SMB, Zelda and Metroid contain pretty good amount of content. But then people complain they've played these before. No shit derp. People have played SNES and GBA games before too.

Boney

Banned
Shiggy said:
It would depend on the SNES choice. Here it is just that they choose games with little to no content that would be freely available asa flash game on Armor Games or Kongregate if released today.
I'm actually surprised they chose meaty games like both Zelda and Metroid. Probably the same is gonna happen with GBA.

I'd think they'd want you to be occupied as little time as possible with them so you don't stop buying games.

Shiggy

Edited my post, should've clarified that from the beginning. Of course, I wasn't referring to Mario, Zelda or Metroid. Instead, I was talking about Ballon Fight or Clu Clu Land. Point still stands.

So I read somewhere that your Mii on the system gets upgraded to an ambassador.
Was that here? What's that all about? Does your Mii get a fancy badge or something?
I'm in Europe so has no games :(

imthemaid

Banned
Shiggy said:

But would some of these games be released today? There are things that SMB does that haven't been improved upon, and there are reasons that games like zelda and metroid are so iconic today, aside from nostalgia.

If the amount of content is your main priority when evaluating worth, that's your prerogative. I love these games for the way they look, sound, and feel. And to me, they're unique.

Sorry; didn't see your edit.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Does the music in Mario sound somewhat off to anyone? Quite often, it sounds like one layer of the track is missing for a bit. It's only for less than a second, but it happens enough that I know it's occurring. It was most noticeable on 5-2 after every time a Bullet Bill fired. I'm chalking it up to the fact that these are technically still in "beta", but I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

And I forgot just how awesome Balloon Fight was. It's a perfect "pick up and play for a few minutes" game.

Zee-Row

Banned
MasterShotgun said:
Does the music in Mario sound somewhat off to anyone? Quite often, it sounds like one layer of the track is missing for a bit. It's only for less than a second, but it happens enough that I know it's occurring. It was most noticeable on 5-2 after every time a Bullet Bill fired. I'm chalking it up to the fact that these are technically still in "beta", but I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

And I forgot just how awesome Balloon Fight was. It's a perfect "pick up and play for a few minutes" game.

NES games always have done that when multiple sound effects are going off at the same time.

Symphonic

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
So I read somewhere that your Mii on the system gets upgraded to an ambassador.
Was that here? What's that all about? Does your Mii get a fancy badge or something?
I'm in Europe so has no games :(

Supposedly it just tells people that you StreetPass with that you're an Ambassador. That's what the description of the Ambassador app said, anyways.

Zee-Row

Banned
MasterShotgun said:
I had never noticed that in the past. Maybe I'm just paying more attention now.
Its because the music and sound effects share the same sound channels in the hardware , when they are all being used and a new sound effect pops in it bumps out a sound or music tone out just for that moment. Its hard to explain.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
MasterShotgun said:
I had never noticed that in the past. Maybe I'm just paying more attention now.
The NES has a limited number of sound channels (five?) so if all sound channels are being used for music one will have to temporarily drop out to play the effect.

I have this horrible feeling NoE is going to keep us waiting a long time for this. They never even got round to supplying any form of Ambassador check service.

loblaw said:
Supposedly it just tells people that you StreetPass with that you're an Ambassador. That's what the description of the Ambassador app said, anyways.
Ahh I see, cheers!

demonturkey said:
I have this horrible feeling NoE is going to keep us waiting a long time for this. They never even got round to supplying any form of Ambassador check service.
Don't jinx it man, we'll get them all fine don't worry!

I will be SO pissed off if they're not there first thing in the morning!

Princess Skittles said:
The NES has a limited number of sound channels (five?) so if all sound channels are being used for music one will have to temporarily drop out to play the effect.

The channels are square wave / square wave / triangle wave / noise / DPCM (like wav files).

Music is generally on squares with triangle as bass, drums and scratchy sounds on noise, and DPCM is rarely used in many games because it is a bitch to work with!

Generally they try to drop out the channel that's doing harmony rather than the main melody. And some games used tricks to make it even less intrusive.

Princess Skittles said:
Wait. People didn't know you could save in NES Zelda? Like, it was FAMOUS for that at the time.

Or are the two of you just referring to the "forced" save method?

i could not wrap my 6 year old brain around the concept of a battery saving games. I thought the save was somehow put into the battery.

For the guys complaining about the buttons layout, save states, aspect ratio and stuff... just remember:

These versions are not final. This are beta games. The games will be upgradable to the final versions (with an electronic manual) later.

Fernando Rocker said:
For the guys complaining about the buttons layout, save states, aspect ratio and stuff... just remember:

These versions are not final. This are beta games. The games will be upgradable to the final versions (with an electronic manual) later.
I didn't know this was confirmed anywhere but I'm now assuming it was. Thanks!

LovingSteam said:
Why not offer the entire NES library? Would cost them about the same. Shoot while we're at it they should just include the entire GBA library too.

Jocchan said:
Pfft, they should have included their entire virtual console library, and a couple of hookers. It's $80, man! Price drops on hardware are inexcusable.

LovingSteam said:
Psh. Agreed man. That new car I bought? When I heard they dropped the price a thousand dollars a few months after I bought it, I marched right back to that dealership and DEMANDED the difference PLUS the manager's daughter for marriage!

Jocchan said:
I hear in some countries you would have gotten a few camels too. I'd say it's the bare minimum to justify something as absurd as a price drop.

Seriously, it's a little extra for a price drop coming earlier than usual. We usually get nothing. People complain anyway because they wanted more (not sure what exactly?).

LovingSteam said:
Psh, Nintendo really should've offered us shares in their stock. But I suppose then we'd have something else to complain about.

psh, i'm not even going to read to see if this continues...

you tools :p

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
UncleSporky said:
The channels are square wave / square wave / triangle wave / noise / DPCM (like wav files).

Music is generally on squares with triangle as bass, drums and scratchy sounds on noise, and DPCM is rarely used in many games because it is a bitch to work with!

Generally they try to drop out the channel that's doing harmony rather than the main melody. And some games used tricks to make it even less intrusive.
I know that, but I wanted to keep the explanation sort of simple. :p

*spends about 20 minutes wrenching them from the awful eShop interface*

*spends about 10 minutes playing them*

Yup, these are old NES games alright. Just... really old NES games, with no benefits or additions (other than suspend stating, I will admit), in an unfinished emulator. Whoopie.

"BUT 20 GAMES!!!!1!!!"

Boney

Banned
So I went ahead to scourge these maps Metroid Killer made last year I think. They're gonna be helpful to a lot of people.

West Brinstar & Tourian

East Brinstar

Kraid's Lair

Norfair

Lower Norfair

Jockel

Branduil said:
Unless the European 3DS only has a refresh rate of 50hz, that seems unlikely.
Well, the PAL Wii VC NES games (phew, what a description) ran in 50hz at 240p, even though the Wii did 60hz and 480p.

I'm not even mad at the 240p choice since it looks gorgeous on CRTs with RGB, but 50hz... D:

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
dark10x said:
Man, I'm starting to think the 3DS interface needs an overhaul. Perhaps folders ala iPhone? As you start to add more content to the system the whole menu becomes loaded with icons. It looks messy and is difficult to organize.
In the interim, you can at least reduce the icon size and get more to appear onscreen to avoid scrolling.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just realized that we actually did get the three main pillars of Nintendo: Mario, Metroid, Zelda.

That's a pretty awesome starter pack.

imthemaid

Banned
Kulock said:

Yup, these are old NES games alright. Just... really old NES games, with no benefits or additions (other than suspend stating, I will admit), in an unfinished emulator. Whoopie.

"BUT 20 GAMES!!!!1!!!"

*LovingSteam-style psshhhhhhh*

What do you think an emulator is supposed to do? You're probably thinking of a vibrator. Nintendo was giving us a free emulator. See where you went wrong? Stop trying to put software in your bum!

fernoca

Yay! The 10 games and "video" were there. Thanks Nintendo-sama!!

:p

Sucked that after each download, it sent you right back to the eShop menu; so having to select Menu, Settings, Your Downloads, scroll down to the next (each) game..11 times...was not fun. But the downloads went really fast.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
that 3ds downloading software animation always makes me think of that scene from the old transformers movie with the captives inside Unicron being dropped one by one into the molten pit.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
GrumpyAlien said:
You can lose all your lives and save after the laughing gannon screen. Aside from that, not sure.
I haven't downloaded it yet as my 3DS is at home, but I remember plugging in controller 2 back in the NES days and pressing some button combination while the game was paused to force the save screen to come up during gameplay. Dunno how you'd do that with this version.

MLH

Lovely Salsa said:
Only 1 more hour to go for European release YAAAY!

Oh man, Nintendo is not so high tech to have systems to automatically update, lol.

They won't be up until around 9:00am tomorrow at the earliest.

Kulock said:

It's still 10 NES games that likely would of cost $3-5 dollars a pop - so about a $30-$50 saving on NES titles in general. Might not be something you wanted, but it's a pretty substantial give away on Nintendo's part all the same (though I guess they might make the lost sales back eventually from those that missed the Ambassador boat)

That and I think people forget this was a large snap decision on Nintendo's part, and the fastest way to get the games available is to fudge it through the existing framework - we'd be waiting much longer for these titles if Nintendo had coded a separate downloading routine for it too.

Also, concerning EU titles, NoE normally updates the 3DS e-shop in the morning at 6-9am - I imagine that is when the NES games will start to show tomorrow (I hope)

GDGF

Soothsayer
I was just playing a little Zelda II. I haven't touched it since I beat it back when I was a kid, but the songs are still in my head. Caught myself humming along to the soundtrack :)

fernoca

Also pleased with the delivery of the games. Gotta give props to that.

I (and I know many too) expected Nintendo to fuck up and start delivering the games one by one, with uber slow download speeds..starting on September 1st.

And they ended putting all 10 games, a day earlier and at normal/fast download-speeds.

Top Bottom