• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Game Recommendations/Condemnations | Thread 2 | Two screens, three dimensions!

I got AA5 on the recent sale (figured it wouldn't be any cheaper for long), and I have only played the first AA game that released on the DS. Is it not that enjoyable if I haven't played the games in between?
its still is but you just won't catch some of the fanservice and references to the previous games.

as an ace attorney fan i would tell you to buy the 3 mainline games(justice for all, trails and tribulations and apollo justice) you missed and play them before you start dual destinies because it makes the experience a bit more intimate

vareon

I got AA5 on the recent sale (figured it wouldn't be any cheaper for long), and I have only played the first AA game that released on the DS. Is it not that enjoyable if I haven't played the games in between?

Don't worry about it. You will simply change expectations in how you are enjoying the game. Instead of wondering what will happen to character A, for example, you will wonder at how the story gets there. Think of it like watching or reading a prequel.

The series is too good for people to skip just because they couldn't find the older ones, IMO.

jaxword

from the Nintendo support page:

All content downloaded via the eShop on both systems (DSiWare, Ambassador games and status, 3DS Downloadable software, etc) will be combined together onto the target system. After the transfer is complete, titles will be available to re-download from the Nintendo eShop.

so yep you have to redownload it

Ok, thanks for the details. So I don't have to rebuy it, just redownload it.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Am i missing out on Zelda:ALBW by playing it on a 2d?
I don't think so, seems to be perfectly playable on 2D and I have been enjoying the game a lot.
I'm stereoblind

RM8

I find myself playing so much Tappingo. This clearly means I'm going to love real Picross, right? :p I'm actually excited about never playing any Picross game before.

any thoughts on the following Harvest Moon games?

Tale of Two Towns
A New Beginning
Hometown Story

Tale of Two Towns: Bad Harvest Moon DS port. Avoid.
A New Beginning: Awesome. Best HM in ages; frame rate issues aside, it is highly recommended.
Hometown Story: Haven't played (EU ;_:) but it isn't a HM game. Though it comes from the creator of HM. Reviews haven't been the best but I don't pay too much attention to those, especially for Life Simulations like these.

its still is but you just won't catch some of the fanservice and references to the previous games.

as an ace attorney fan i would tell you to buy the 3 mainline games(justice for all, trails and tribulations and apollo justice) you missed and play them before you start dual destinies because it makes the experience a bit more intimate

Don't worry about it. You will simply change expectations in how you are enjoying the game. Instead of wondering what will happen to character A, for example, you will wonder at how the story gets there. Think of it like watching or reading a prequel.

The series is too good for people to skip just because they couldn't find the older ones, IMO.

Thanks to both. I have little time as it is, I haven't finished ALBW or BD yet, so I'm happy I'll be able to play this without playing all the games in the series (right now at least).

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Just because they're still good games in 2D doesn't mean he won't be missing out. The 3D in ALBW improves the game in a big way.

of course he will be missing out some of the best 3D experiences on the machine, just saying that these games can be perfectly played without it

KungFucius

King Snowflake
of course he will be missing out some of the best 3D experiences on the machine, just saying that these games can be perfectly played without it

I found that the 3D helped in Zelda. The perspective made the combat much easier. Sure it can be played without, but it plays better with.

New to 3ds. I was pointed to this thread I made one for recommendations. Few questions.

What eshop games are worth getting? I'm set for vc games, I want some exclusives which 3d nicely.

Can I make more than one save on Pokémon if I back up the information on my pc and start a new? Can I switch between the saves on a single system?

So far I only own

Mario 3dland
Donkey Kong Country 3d port
Links Awakening DX

I still have 13 dollars some change.... Also, are the mii Plaza dlc games worth getting?

Crazyorloco

New to 3ds. I was pointed to this thread I made one for recommendations. Few questions.

What eshop games are worth getting? I'm set for vc games, I want some exclusives which 3d nicely.

Can I make more than one save on Pokémon if I back up the information on my pc and start a new? Can I switch between the saves on a single system?

So far I only own

Mario 3dland
Links Awakening DX

I still have 13 dollars some change.... Also, are the mii Plaza dlc games worth getting?

Are you in the u.s.? Did you get the 3ds this month? And did you buy either 3d land or donkey Kong returns 3days from a store? If so, you can get pokemon x or y free by registering your system and games on club.Nintendo.com

I just got a 3ds I'm addicted to pokemon again...pokemon x/y are fantastic.

Are you in the u.s.? Did you get the 3ds this month? And did you buy either 3d land or donkey Kong returns 3days from a store? If so, you can get pokemon x or y free by registering your system and games on club.Nintendo.com

I just got a 3ds I'm addicted to pokemon again...pokemon x/y are fantastic.
Yes that's how I have Pokémon. My girlfriend is playing through it right now and I just realized forgot to mention I owned it. I want my save and wondering if we can switch saves if I back up to my pc or something.

Tailzo

Where can I ask this?

For the longest time I've only had 2GB SD card for my 3ds. It's full.

1. How do I transfer all the contents to a new card? Is this correct?
  2. What kind of cards should I use?
  3. Can I buy any cheap brand?
  4. I live in europe, where should I order one for cheap?

This is what I know:
Memory Cards Compatible With 3DS

The Nintendo 3DS supports the following SD Card standards:

SD Memory Cards up to 2GB
SDHC Memory Cards between 4GB and 32GB
MiniSD Cards with the use of an SD Card Adapter
MicroSD Cards with the use of an SD Card Adapter

SD cards over 32GB should work if formatted to FAT32. Some people here have used 128GB cards on their 3DS (but cost-wise and realistically going over 32GB is probably not necessary for 3DS).

don't want to open a new thread for this question, hope it fits in here:

So I currently own a US and a EU 3DS, because I've imported a US 3DS to play Rune Factory 4 and SMT IV.
I'm planning to keep the US 3DS and sell my EU 3DS on ebay.
now my question: the EU 3DS did come with a digital copy of MH3U and I got a digital copy of animal crossing from a nintendo promo. Are those copys linked to my european club nintendo account? Can the potential buyer only play them if he keeps my acc on the purchased 3DS or can he transfer them somehow to his own account?
Okay saw this a bit late but. This all depends on one thing:

Did you create a Nintendo Network ID (NNID)? It was optional feature added a few months ago. It locks you to a single eShop and allows you to post on Miiverse.

If you did, the games are locked to that NNID which is locked to that 3DS. You would need to pass on the login info and change the e-mail address to one they can access. It may harm the resale value if they already have a 3DS (as they can't merge accounts).

But if it was just the Club Nintendo link. That thing only exists to give you stars on the Club Nintendo website. Just go into the eShop and unlink it before selling (I guess there is no harm leaving it, you might even get a few stars from their purchases). The games are just linked to the system and they can system transfer their 3DS to your 3DS and add MH and AC to their eShop account (i.e. merge).

leroidys

So far I only own

Mario 3dland
Links Awakening DX

No.

As far as eshop games, harmoknight is great and has great 3D.

For retail, you MUST pick up Kid Icarus and A Link Between Worlds.

Yo, I'm thinking of grabbing a new RPG to play.

Choices are:

Fire Emblem Awakening
Etrian Odyysey IV
Bravely Default

I'm leaning towards EO mainly because I'm from Australia and games like these can get hard to find quite quickly, and I think that'll be the first to disappear.

Though I'd like to hear some thoughts on these games before I go out and buy one.

I'd go for EO4. I tried the demo out today and I think that will be my first RPG purchase. I liked it because it was a dungeon crawler. I'm gonna buy Fire Emblem after because I've always been terrible at strategy, though I'm actually buying this one because it comes with an easy mode in it.

Bravely Default, I heard it was good but I'm gonna pass on it because I never really liked FF games. The demo was okay, but I'm gonna pass on it.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
So I have £30 eShop credit anything GAF recommends?
I only have steamworld dig, I did have Pullblox, mighty switch force, gunman clive and lego city, if there is nothing better I will get them again (except lego city)

-Setsuna-

I only have steamworld dig, I did have Pullblox, mighty switch force, gunman clive and lego city, if there is nothing better I will get them again (except lego city)
Phoenix Wright 5 + DLC, or Denpa Men 2 + Attack of the Friday Monsters + Mario & DK Minis on the Move + Fallblox.

maxcriden

Mutant Mudds if you're in the mood for a platformer!

I would recommend Ace Attorney for sure.

I'd also recommend Mutant Mudds, Bike Rider DX, EDGE, Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo, Mario +DK: Minis on the Move, Art of Balance: Touch.

I've seen Denpa Men being recommended a couple times now in different threads, i checked up on it a little, but i am still CLUELESS as to what this game is actually about hmmm?

I plan on getting all 6 Megaman games (3DS VC), is there anything I should know about the games? (Framerate, loading times, worth it or not, etc)

I plan on getting all 6 Megaman games (3DS VC), is there anything I should know about the games? (Framerate, loading times, worth it or not, etc)

They just NES ports. They all should be good. Personally I think all 6 is overkill, just go for the ones that are good like 2 and 3. Maybe after that if you need more Megaman go for it.

Zalman

Any thoughts on Pilotwings Resort? Is it worth buying? It's probably cheap now.

Also, how's the 3DS version of Rayman 2?

They just NES ports. They all should be good. Personally I think all 6 is overkill, just go for the ones that are good like 2 and 3. Maybe after that if you need more Megaman go for it.

Thanks for the answer. I'm buying them more for my study on 2D games, so I plan on seeing the subtle differences between the games, and trying to understand what makes some of them better than the others (Bosses, gameplay, etc).

maxcriden

Any thoughts on Pilotwings Resort? Is it worth buying? It's probably cheap now.

Also, how's the 3DS version of Rayman 2?

Zal, if you mean Rayman 3DS, I have it and I didn't care for it at all but TBH I strongly prefer 2D Rayman games. There are two of those on the eShop. One is the GBC Rayman which is just okay, one is the PS1 Rayman which is very hard but a terrific game. If you're still interested in Rayman 3DS though, I've got the cart and would be happy to sell or trade it, feel free to PM me. (I'm US GAF, I think you're NA too.)

RM8

I bought Rayman 2 (well, Rayman 3D) for cheap and thought it was fun. It was my first time playing Rayman 2, though.

Got some incoming gamestop credit and wondering what I should get on my 3DS. Looking to expand my gameplay variety since so far I have:
Pokemon Y
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Project X Zone
Liberation Maiden
Samurai Warriors Chronicles.

Been looking at:
Super Mario 3D Land
Donky Kong
Fire Emblem
Zelda Link to the Past
Bravely Default

The two platformers are the top runners at the moment along with Zelda. Not a huge fan of Platformers so I was thinking mario since I heard it was easy compared to DK which I keep hearing is hard. Zelda I've never been able to beat any of that series just out of boredom but I keep hearing this one is good. FE and BD I'm sure I'd love but im still in the first half of my other RPGs. Was thinking about Mario Kart as well, but it seems really slow and uninteresting after playing the two Sonic Kart racers.

Anyone got an opinion on these/maybe some other recommendations? Want one, maybe two if I'm greedy off here.

Ventara

Got some incoming gamestop credit and wondering what I should get on my 3DS. Looking to expand my gameplay variety since so far I have:
Pokemon Y
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Project X Zone
Liberation Maiden
Samurai Warriors Chronicles.

Been looking at:
Super Mario 3D Land
Donky Kong
Fire Emblem
Zelda Link to the Past
Bravely Default

The two platformers are the top runners at the moment along with Zelda. Not a huge fan of Platformers so I was thinking mario since I heard it was easy compared to DK which I keep hearing is hard. Zelda I've never been able to beat any of that series just out of boredom but I keep hearing this one is good. FE and BD I'm sure I'd love but im still in the first half of my other RPGs. Was thinking about Mario Kart as well, but it seems really slow and uninteresting after playing the two Sonic Kart racers.

Anyone got an opinion on these/maybe some other recommendations? Want one, maybe two if I'm greedy off here.

As someone who also never finished any Zelda games out of boredom, I absolutely enjoyed and finished Link to the Past. It cuts out the fat and throws you straight into the gameplay. Some people seemed to not like that it was an kind of like an open world instead of being linear, but I was completely fine with that. It just gave me the choice of which dungeon to go to first. If you like puzzles and solving how to traverse the world using the tools you have, get this game; it's amazing.

Otherwise, get Super Mario 3D Land. Also, if you're looking for variety, maybe Animal Crossing? The game may look boring, but it can get super addicting once you get into it. It didn't sell 5 million in Japan for nothing.

vocab

So I have been kind of wanting a harvest moon style sim game.

Between New beginning, Runefactory 4, and Animal Crossing, which would be the best?

I never played a rune factory or animal crossing before.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
So I have been kind of wanting a harvest moon style sim game.

Between New beginning, Runefactory 4, and Animal Crossing, which would be the best?

I never played a rune factory or animal crossing before.

Go with Rune Factory 4, there is so much content in that game and has Harvest moon elements + RPG mechanics. You don't have to play the other rune factory games since it stand on its own

As someone who also never finished any Zelda games out of boredom, I absolutely enjoyed and finished Link to the Past. It cuts out the fat and throws you straight into the gameplay. Some people seemed to not like that it was an kind of like an open world instead of being linear, but I was completely fine with that. It just gave me the choice of which dungeon to go to first. If you like puzzles and solving how to traverse the world using the tools you have, get this game; it's amazing.

Otherwise, get Super Mario 3D Land. Also, if you're looking for variety, maybe Animal Crossing? The game may look boring, but it can get super addicting once you get into it. It didn't sell 5 million in Japan for nothing.

Thanks for the opinions, think I'll grab Zelda and if theres nothing else I see that looks good in their used section, Mario too :)

Ventara

Go with Rune Factory 4, there is so much content in that game and has Harvest moon elements + RPG mechanics. You don't have to play the other rune factory games since it stand on its own

+1 for Rune Factory 4. The game is great. I can't speak for A New Beginning since I haven't played it yet, but Animal Crossing is pretty different from HM and RF. Sure it's a sim type game, but it largely focuses on online interactivity with others and the collection of items.

Thanks for the opinions, think I'll grab Zelda and if theres nothing else I see that looks good in their used section, Mario too :)

Good choice! I hope you enjoy both; I know I did.

casiopao

Denpa Men for sure.

I don't have access to the eShop right now (and won't for another week), so I was wondering if somebody could give me a list of the Atlus games that are on sale and what the prices are. It would be very much appreciated!

Ondore

Etrian Odyssey Millenium $19.99
Shin Megami Tensei IV $29.99
Etrian Odyssey IV $19.99
SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked $19.99
Code of Princes $19.99
SMT Devil Summoner Soul Hackers $19.99

Basically all the Atlus sales on the eShop rolled into one.

Etrian Odyssey Millenium $19.99
Shin Megami Tensei IV $29.99
Etrian Odyssey IV $19.99
SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked $19.99
Code of Princes $19.99
SMT Devil Summoner Soul Hackers $19.99

Basically all the Atlus sales on the eShop rolled into one.

Wow, that's fantastic! I'll be home just in time to take advantage of the sale (and I'll finally be able to get my hands on Etrian Odyssey IV and Shin Megami Tensei IV). Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it!

I wanted to wait til the end of the month to buy EO4, cause Donkey Kong and Mario 3d, but screw it. Bought. Downloading now....Aw yes....

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
For someone who has never played any of the Atlus games on sale, which would be the best to start with?

Depends on what you want to get into really. Both EO IV and SMT IV are excellent games that serve as great introductions to both franchises.

I've seen better deals on Soul Hackers, and it is very much a 90's JRPG, so unless you're familiar with them I can't really recommend it as a first SMT experience. Etrian Odyssey Untold is a good entry for the franchise but IV just feels like a better game to me. Devil Survivor Overclocked is a good SRPG with SMT battles, but I still think IV is a better starting point.

I did not try Code of Princess, so I can't really say either way for it.

Top Bottom