• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Game Recommendations/Condemnations | Thread 2 | Two screens, three dimensions!

maxcriden

I'm considering taking advantage of Target's "Buy 2, Get 1" sale to bolster my 3DS collection. I've played a number of the big titles on the first 3DS I owned, but since re-buying one, I've been struggling to build up my collection. I'm considering the following, all of which I haven't played. Sell me on three, GAF!

Ocarina of Time
A Link Between Worlds
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Donkey Kong Country
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Bravely Default
One of the Shin Megami Tensei's
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
Starfox 64 3D

Just as some Dark Horse candidates, I just want to say DKCR 3D is my favorite 3DS game and one of my favorite platformers ever, and absolutely packed with content. If you've already played the Wii version fully it wouldn't be my top recommendation, though. I also love Dream Team, but I would definitely recommend playing the M&L series in order. (Also, if you end up not getting LBW from this sale, feel free to hit me up for a copy as I'm selling or trading mine.)

Hey, guys...

I have a $50 eshop card, and I want to buy some 3DS games. The only problem is that they're cheaper in their retail format, and I don't want to end up paying more for a digital copy. So can y'all recommend me some digital games (outside of Fire Emblem Awakening, I have it) that is comparatively matched price-wise with physical copies? Thanks.

GeekyDad

Hey, guys...

I have a $50 eshop card, and I want to buy some 3DS games. The only problem is that they're cheaper in their retail format, and I don't want to end up paying more for a digital copy. So can y'all recommend me some digital games (outside of Fire Emblem Awakening, I have it) that is comparatively matched price-wise with physical copies? Thanks.

Atlus' games go on sale fairly regularly, and I doubt you can beat those sales at retail. If you don't have SMTIV, Overclocked or either of the EO games, any of those would be a good place to start when on sale. Also, the Guild series games by Level-5, beginning with Crimson Shroud.

Salsa

I wish Level-5 would put Layton on sale more often

they're among the better devs on eshop sales (well.. its only really them and atlus and sometimes capcom) but they still hold on to some stuff

Salsa

Mario's Picross just gave me a "Save Data is corrupted and must be initialized" and deleted my entire 12 hours of gameplay. What the flying fuck.

now im worried about the rest but everything seems fine.. fml

RM8

I'm ordering Mario Golf and Kirby, but I need to buy another cheap game so the shipping to Mexico is worth it. Which of these games would you guys buy?

- Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate (This doesn't look bad, does anyone know if it's too cutscene or QTE happy?)
- Crosswords Plus (I loved the DS game, I'm pretty sure this would end up eating plenty of hours from me)
- Nano Assault (I'm aware of the superior digital version, but I'm a collector so I don't care! :p)
- Crush 3D (Time flies! I remember being kind of interested when the demo was uploaded ages ago)
- Battleship (Apparently the 3DS game is an okay strategy game, Advance Wars-style)

EDIT: Welp, I went with Batman because it was cheap. I hope it doesn't suck! Gameplay videos look fine.

casiopao

To fellow 3DS Gaffers. I wanted to trade club Nintendo coin here. I just bought Kirby Mouse Attack not noticing that it is Europe region ones.

The game is included with Club Nintendo card. So, does anyone want to trade my Kirby club nintendo point with the U.S region one?

Sorry for my bad English here.T_T

Kokuga is a must have game in any 3ds library, really good shooter by the creator of ikaruga, the leves offer great variety too, and while the mechanics are simple , they are hard to master

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I love love love air sections of Kid Icarus and hate hate hate ground sections of Kid Icarus. The controls SUCKKKKK for ground.

RM8

Should I get SF64 3D? Or should I just spend ten dollars to get the Wii VC version?
I'd say the 3DS version is the best version of the game. Go for the VC version if you simply want to experience the game at the lowest cost, but I definitely think it's a better game on 3DS. Plus I bet you can find it for rather cheap :p

Jzero

I'm new to the 3DS. How often do games go on sale in the eShop? I want Nintendo's first party games but i don't want to spend that much for a download. I got used to Steam sales.

wilflare

I'm new to the 3DS. How often do games go on sale in the eShop? I want Nintendo's first party games but i don't want to spend that much for a download. I got used to Steam sales.

:( not often at all unless you are talking about Atlus games
and moderate expectations - you won't see Steam type sales

eojoko

:( not often at all unless you are talking about Atlus games
and moderate expectations - you won't see Steam type sales

You won't see Steam type sales, but Nintendo did just drop several of their big first party games to $30.

Salsa

"you won't see sales as often" or anything like that is misleading when talking about first party (or even published by) Nintendo games. They have never been on sale on the eShop, ever.

Regarding sales, I bought a EU 2ds days ago and I'm new to Nintendo store: does it work like Sony (i.e. can I create a US account a buy games from US store for my EU 3ds)?

So far I bought:
  • Ocarina of Time - First timer here and gameplay just not there for me. Probably gonna buy Link to the Past too because seems more interesting to play.
  • Shinobi - Someone recommended It as a hidden gem with great gameplay and I was basically sold. Still wrapped.
  • Fire Emblem Awakening - Best of the lot, really enjoying the writing. Playing on normal classic please nobody die k?
  • Inazuma Eleven 3 - Packed with 2ds, played for 20 min and looks like the first one.
  • Ace Combat - One of the main reasons I bought a 2ds was to play this because I read it was like AC Zero. Well fuck whoever wrote that; this garbage is even more uninspiring than Joint Assault, recycling tracks from past titles and with a non-existing story. Missions are five minutes long on hard difficulty, some even two.
  • Bravely Default - Have high hopes about this one. Still wrapped.

jadjei

I'm 5 gold coins away from being a gold member on club Nintendo (I want my calendar), recommend me any game. Doesn't matter if the game is digital only or physical.

Draconian

I'm 5 gold coins away from being a gold member on club Nintendo (I want my calendar), recommend me any game. Doesn't matter if the game is digital only or physical.

Gunman Clive's a lot of fun and only $2. What games do you have already? Any of the ones mentioned in the OP are a good starting point.

EDIT: I really have no idea if eshop only games give Club Nintendo coins.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Find a cheap copy of Steel Diver since it can be found for $5 and gives 40 coins. That's physical only, to be specific. Digital is more expensive and definitely not worth it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
MUST HAVE
if you don't own PSP or Vita to play some kind of Hot Shots Golf instead

RM8

How much do you pay on shipping alone?
I'm using Play-Asia's FedEx "quick" service for $19.90 USD, but I'll have to pay a bit more once I get them because of customs/fees, though it doesn't always happen. Play-Asia also offers a slightly cheaper shipping method (also via FedEx, $15 I think?) but it's slower, and in this particular case I need Mario Golf and Kirby ASAP :p

Play-Asia used to be more expensive, so most of the time I buy games at CDUniverse (since these are the only two stores that offer delivery via FedEx to Mexico), but it's now the other way around with CDUniverse charging $30 for express shipping :( A shame because they have some really nice deals with older games (PS3, DS, etc). In the end I'm paying ~$145 USD for Mario Golf, Kirby and Batman, delivered to me at home, while buying Mario Golf and Kirby alone at Mexican retail stores would be ~$122 USD.

wilflare

not sure where else I can ask but how's everyone liking or hating the 2DS?

trying to see if there's a more comfortable way of playing my 3DS games.

Costia

I have played quite a few lego games on pc and want to buy one for my 3ds.
Should I get the hobbit or lego the movie one?

GeekyDad

The 3D effect in Mirror of Fate is, I dare say, amazing. Too early in to recommend it, but out of all the games I've played since the system's launch, this is probably the best in-game 3D I've seen thus far. Still not perfect for my eyes, but damned impressive.

Oi, how does Soul Hackers size up next to SMT4 for someone who loves it and plays the hell out of it daily? Does it make use of the 3D effect unlike DeSuOC?

Oi, how does Soul Hackers size up next to SMT4 for someone who loves it and plays the hell out of it daily? Does it make use of the 3D effect unlike DeSuOC?

Soul Hackers is a much older game with a very different feel. In terms of Megaten games, it's much more comparable to Strange Journey on the DS, but it's also very typical to the time -- cheesy 90s cyberpunk theme, bigger party, no weakness-exploitation battle system (those didn't show up until the PS2 Megatens), huge complex dungeons, interesting and weird story.

Really good game, though, I highly recommend it.

EBE

i literally just need one more ghost recon shadow wars recommendation before i spend my 13 dollars on it. someone please push me over the edge

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
i literally just need one more ghost recon shadow wars recommendation before i spend my 13 dollars on it. someone please push me over the edge

there you go. Buy it, if you like turn based strategy games with a militaristic/futuristic feel. Game is absolutely great

Brick

Is Resident Evil: Revelations any good? I haven't played an RE game since 4, and I'm starting to get the itch again.

frontovik

Banned
Well GAF, I finally bought a 3DS XL (my first handheld game console!! believe it or not)

I'll look into the game recommendations that are posted in this thread, but would appreciate advice on any essential accessories or services I should purchase/register for?

Thank you.

Well GAF, I finally bought a 3DS XL (my first handheld game console!! believe it or not)

I'll look into the game recommendations that are posted in this thread, but would appreciate advice on any essential accessories or services I should purchase/register for?

Thank you.

Get some screen protectors. People recommend Hori, but I've had good experiences with Citigeeks who by the way make some awesome anti-glare matte screen protectors. I also recommend a carrying case of some sort to prevent dust from getting inside the system.

Elija2

Thank you.

I don't see the need for a screen protector, but a case is always useful. Definitely get one that can hold a couple extra game cards.

Also I guess sign up for Club Nintendo if you haven't.

Is Resident Evil: Revelations any good? I haven't played an RE game since 4, and I'm starting to get the itch again.

I haven't played much of any other Resident Evil game but I really liked Revelations. I'd recommend it, especially since you can get it for pretty cheap (at the very least it's $20 on the eShop).

GeekyDad

Put a ton of hours into it when I first bought it, playing through once on Normal, then Hard, and doing a lot of the co-op. The co-op gameplay is a very cool alternative to Mercs. At full price, I felt like I got a really good package. For what they're selling the game for now, it's a damned steal -- buy the hell out of it. It's not RE4, but to me, it was better than RE5. It's a solid action-RE (not a horror game, but you probably already know that).

greg400

Banned
Skip M&L for sure. bravely default only if you're starving for a JRPG.

You are required to get KI and ALBW. Some of the best games nintendo have released this decade.

After that, FE easily.
Is it really that bad? I enjoyed the other M&L games and this one is at the bottom of my 3DS list to get but I still planned on picking it up.

Brick

Put a ton of hours into it when I first bought it, playing through once on Normal, then Hard, and doing a lot of the co-op. The co-op gameplay is a very cool alternative to Mercs. At full price, I felt like I got a really good package. For what they're selling the game for now, it's a damned steal -- buy the hell out of it. It's not RE4, but to me, it was better than RE5. It's a solid action-RE (not a horror game, but you probably already know that).

Perfect. Gonna pick it up then. Thanks!

Is it really that bad? I enjoyed the other M&L games and this one is at the bottom of 3DS list to get but I still planned on picking it up.

I'm also wondering this. I haven't really gotten into a Mario RPG since, well, Super Mario RPG. The Paper Mario and M&L stuff I've played about 5-10 hours into each, but quit after a while due to the constant dialogue and tutorials. I'm ready to jump in again because I am hankering for an RPG but I'm afraid Dream Team embodies everything I'm wary of in terms of Mario RPGs.

leroidys

Is it really that bad? I enjoyed the other M&L games and this one is at the bottom of 3DS list to get but I still planned on picking it up.

It's not terrible so much as it's not good.

Even the consensus worst entry int he series, Partners in Time, at least significantly changed/added to the battle system.

Dream Team does absolutely nothing new in terms of battle mechanics beyond a couple annoying motion control limit breaks, and the battles are sparser and easier. The overworld is completely boring and corridored. The game is 4 times too long.

maxcriden

It's not terrible so much as it's not good.

Even the consensus worst entry int he series, Partners in Time, at least significantly changed/added to the battle system.

Dream Team does absolutely nothing new in terms of battle mechanics beyond a couple annoying motion control limit breaks, and the battles are sparser and easier. The overworld is completely boring and corridored. The game is 4 times too long.

Just to offer a counterpoint, I really loved Dream Team (I realize I already mentioned this on the previous page, but I wanted to expand on it a bit). Yes, this game has plenty of tutorials, especially early on. If I'm remembering correctly, the original two Paper Mario games aren't as tutorial-heavy in comparison, and to be fair I haven't played the original SM RPG yet. Still, I think there's quite a bit of greatness on offer in this game, although I realize this is not the most popular opinion, especially coming from someone who actually really dug Sticker Star. I found the Giant Battles just as epic and challenging as any in Bowser's Inside Story, the Dream World just as overflowing with creativity as Bowser's Insides in the same game, and the sidequests as plentiful and satisfying as in any previous Mario RPG I've played.

I realize the game has some of that handhold-itis that puts plenty of players off, and that its length exceeds what people are usually going to be expecting in a game like this. But I'll tell you, I played 55 hrs of this game or thereabouts, and there's still some sidequest stuff I didn't get to in my first full playthrough, and still, I had a big grin on my face the second two thirds of the game. It took 15-20 hours for me to really get into it, which I realize is quite a commitment, but once I did, it really held my attention and impressed me with its creativity. I enjoyed the game up to that point, don't get me wrong, but it was only once I really felt like I was getting into it more seriously that I felt like I had a better appreciation for its merits. Anyway, if you're in the mood for a game like this and have played and enjoyed the other M&L games, I strongly recommend it.

Top Bottom