• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Game Recommendations/Condemnations | Thread 2 | Two screens, three dimensions!

Hi guys,

I've found a decent deal on the PAL OG 3DS, comes with two download games (NSMB 2 and Mario Kart 7). I want to get one each for my nieces, but want to check if it's possible to download the games without setting up NNIDs? They're both a bit young to be dealing with online gaming IDs.

Thanks.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys,

I've found a decent deal on the PAL OG 3DS, comes with two download games (NSMB 2 and Mario Kart 7). I want to get one each for my nieces, but want to check if it's possible to download the games without setting up NNIDs? They're both a bit young to be dealing with online gaming IDs.

Thanks.
Yes, you can redeem them without an NNID. You only need one if you want free apps and demos as of now.

Yes, you can redeem them without an NNID. You only need one if you want free apps and demos as of now.
That's good to know, thanks for the info. I'm now undecided as to whether I should wait and get them the New 3DS. I feel like I'd be cheating them with the OG.

I was eyeballing Skypeace reviews/vidoes online, I thought it looked like a great little title, then I see it's not available Europe/UK. It boils my blood that this still happens, especially with digital titles. So annoying. :/

cover_largeferyt.jpg
urlkdrzf.jpg

Fjordson

Do the older Ace Attorney games still hold up? Never played the series, but would like to try it. Thinking about getting the Ace Attorney Trilogy on the eShop.

leroidys

Do the older Ace Attorney games still hold up? Never played the series, but would like to try it. Thinking about getting the Ace Attorney Trilogy on the eShop.

I bought the trilogy recently after having played through ~1/2 of AA5, and the trilogy is MUCH better so far. So yes.

Mephala

I had completely forgotten about this thread but I feel I need to add another post to it.

PwUyXhX.jpg

Rune Factory 4
Retail for US
eShop only EU, we almost didn't get it!

Let me start off by saying I'm a fan of the series. It took Harvest Moon and added some action, dungeons and RPG elements to it. I've played the first 3 RF games and enjoyed them quite a bit. Rune Factory 4 is without a doubt the pinnacle of the series for me.

A quick description. You arrive in a town with amnesia cliche trope. You make some friends and end up looking after a plot of land as well as issuing small orders for the town such as some constructions, festivals, increasing shop inventory and stuff like that.

Like the Harvest Moon games, you look after your farm. You can grow vegies, harvest and cook them. You need to increase farming and cooking skills. You can buy different cooking devices such as the oven, pot, mixer etc. You can craft accessories, clothes, hats, shoes. You can use alchemy to mix various herbs into medicines. You can use the forge to make weapons or farming tools. You can befriend all the residents in town and even romance some of them.

There are dungeons outside of town. There are also areas that are always a specific season. The Spring field will have a small plot of land you can till and plant spring vegies or flowers throughout the year. The same for the Winter, Summer and Autumn variants. Each place also has different common minerals you can mine as well as creatures to fight or tame.

The aim of the game is to complete the story and if you want you can marry someone from the town and have a kid with them.

This is the first Rune Factory that allows you to choose your gender. There are 6 bachelors and 6 bachelorettes to choose from however the game does not support same gender marriage. Later in the game however you can change the appearance of your character, some people start a male, marry a female and change their avatar into the female one later for example.

What I like about this game is the characters. Each of them have their own personalities. They will seem one dimensional at first and they remain sort of true to this but their interactions and many trivia comments make them very enjoyable to be around. The game makes a number of references to other games that you may recognise including previous RF titles and pokemon.

The game feels like it is packed with content and it is. My character is currently level 140 or so just playing regularly, no grinding anything yet. I have just finished Act 2. There are 3 acts and I thought I had finished the entire game after I completed the 1st but was pleasantly surprised to find more. A lot more.

A lot of activity has a skill and almost everything you do uses up stamina (Rune Points). You will fall into habits to conserve your RP for specific tasks and learn how to regenerate RP as you play.

The combat is actually pretty good. A lot better than I expected any way. You have a very short dodge with the R button. You can attack with B to combo and later unlock Charge Attacks and Ultimate Attacks with your weapon types. There are skills and spells you can map to X, Y, R+X, R+Y. There are a number of weapon types, all of which are functional and have their own perks. Hammers for instance deal huge damage in a single hit. Dual swords attack fast. Short swords allow you to take full benefits from the equipped shield (some weapons half stats or ignore entirely). Gloves allow you to throw enemies when you knock them off their feet. You can have 2 party members with you. Either a companion or a pet. You can tame most of the monsters in the game including some of the bosses. Some monsters allow you to ride them for faster movement. Others will give you different attacks while mounted. Some of the bosses give you slow regen of rune points when riding as well. Allies often have healing spells, you can give them equipment and the ones who don't have healing spells will toss high level food at you sometimes. Monster allies are typically stronger if you find some good ones as you don't need to equip them. That said, well forged and upgraded weapons and armor on an ally will be great as well. The difficulty is very fair so long as you don't sequence break too much(possible and a few good opportunties in the game to do so). Some of the bosses can be quite challenging and fun. At the start of each dungeon there is a sign telling you the name and the recommended level for each area.

Another interesting feature is the dungeon seed. Grow in your farm to open a random dungeon. If you level up the seed (level it the same way you level other crops) the dungeon can have more levels and better loot.

Everyone should try it if they enjoy cute things and fun simulation type games with some good ol' RPG dungeoning.
vbQfcHf.jpg

leroidys

Looking for a rec or two.

Retail 3DS games I've beaten (in order of enjoyment):
Kid Icarus
SM3DL
SSB3DS
Theatrhythm CC
Kirby 3DX
Shinobi
Luigis Mansion
Yoshi's NI
FE:A

Games I own but bailed on:

Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Bravely Default
NSMB2
Steel Diver
Pilotwings Resort

samn

They're the best 3 games in the series. Though the 2nd drags a bit in the middle. Certainly play them, they gave me my fondest memories with my old DS.

BraXzy

I made this thread over a YEAR ago?! Damm. I still remember putting it together like it was last week.

It's been awhile since I updated it. Are there any titles that are desperately missed from the list?

CANLI

Are there some people here who bought the G-Style games on the eshop like Alien on the run, Zombie bowling, the 10 second jump game or crazy construction. Those are really funny games to play.

large.jpg

large.jpg

2.jpg

large.jpg

MLH

Looking for a rec or two.

Retail 3DS games I've beaten (in order of enjoyment):
Kid Icarus
SM3DL
SSB3DS
Theatrhythm CC
Kirby 3DX
Shinobi
Luigis Mansion
Yoshi's NI
FE:A

Games I own but bailed on:

Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Bravely Default
NSMB2
Steel Diver
Pilotwings Resort

Based on that I would say LoZ: A Link Between Worlds.
Also try something from Atlus: SMTIV or Etrian Odyssey IV are both highly recommended (and both vastly better than M&L: Dream Team and Bravely Default).

sugarless

Are there some people here who bought the G-Style games on the eshop like Alien on the run, Zombie bowling, the 10 second jump game or crazy construction. Those are really funny games to play.

May I ask if you're German? Because Germans often mistake "funny" (humorous) for "fun" (enjoyable) in English!

sugarless

I made this thread over a YEAR ago?! Damm. I still remember putting it together like it was last week.

It's been awhile since I updated it. Are there any titles that are desperately missed from the list?

MH4U will be due in a few weeks, given there's a demo now could be worth adding/supplanting MH3U? Also I would humbly suggest adding the alternate names for a few games in Europe (Pushmo = Pullblox, Style Savvy Trendsetters = Nintendo Presents: New Style Boutique) to ensure anyone who likes the look of those games knows what to search for in their region.

Is Steel Diver any good? I can get it for less than $5.

I'd pull the trigger if you can find a used copy at Gamestop for $2.50. It's fun when you get into the intricacies of handling your sub. Mission 5 boss is a bitch though, I'm stuck after playing for only two hours.

ngower

I'm on the fence about the new 3DS XL, mostly because I'm no sure what to play from the library? I'm certainly going to re-buy AC:NL, and will likely buy one of the Zelda games (all three eventually) and Fire Emblem. That said, I'm not sure what else I should play that makes the 3DS a worthy investment? I've had a 3DS before (and loved it) but so I've playes a good chunk of the great games.

Here's what I've played:

SM3DL
Pokemon X/Y
MH3U
Steamworld Dig
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Pushmo/Crashmo
Crimson Shroud
Attack of the Friday Monsters
AC:NL
Cave Story
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Professor Layton/Mask
Gunman Clive
Link's Awakening
MK7
GR: Shadow Wars
Shinobi

Stuff I'm considering

One of the SMT games
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Pokemon OR/AS
Kirby
Inazuma Eleven
Fantasy Life
One of the Phoenix Wright games
Smash Bros (maybe)
One of the Mario/Paper Mario RPGs
Starfox 64
Bravely Default (JRPGs not really my thing, so maybe)

Anything I'm missing?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm on the fence about the new 3DS XL, mostly because I'm no sure what to play from the library? I'm certainly going to re-buy AC:NL, and will likely buy one of the Zelda games (all three eventually) and Fire Emblem. That said, I'm not sure what else I should play that makes the 3DS a worthy investment? I've had a 3DS before (and loved it) but so I've playes a good chunk of the great games.

Here's what I've played:

SM3DL
Pokemon X/Y
MH3U
Steamworld Dig
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Pushmo/Crashmo
Crimson Shroud
Attack of the Friday Monsters
AC:NL
Cave Story
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Professor Layton/Mask
Gunman Clive
Link's Awakening
MK7
GR: Shadow Wars
Shinobi

Stuff I'm considering

One of the SMT games
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Pokemon OR/AS
Kirby
Inazuma Eleven
Fantasy Life
One of the Phoenix Wright games
Smash Bros (maybe)
One of the Mario/Paper Mario RPGs
Starfox 64
Bravely Default (JRPGs not really my thing, so maybe)

Anything I'm missing?

ALBW might be the most glaring omission

ngower

Alright, I'm torn between the following games. I've got one that'll last me for a month or two. Help!

• Fantasy Life
• Link Between Worlds/Majora's Mask
• Pokemon ORAS
• Prof. Layton v Phoenix Wright
• Fire Emblem: Awakening
• Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

It should be noted I'm not a hardcore gamer and struggle to keep playing games when they kick my ass. For that reason, I hesitate to get Majora's Mask. Fantasy Life seems up my alley, but I'm not sure I want a grindy game right now, which also eliminates MH4U. Pokemon ORAS seems to be too easy, and XY were disappointing in how easy they were. Prof Layton v Wright seems up my alley, as I love Layton, but I've never played a Phoenix game. I'd love to pick up FE:A, but the permadeath system scares me a little, and I can't seem to find a physical copy at any Best Buys around me.

Draconian

I'd say go with either Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney or Fire Emblem. You can turn the permadeath setting off on Fire Emblem, so you shouldn't let that dissuade you from getting it.

daydream

Banned
Alright, I'm torn between the following games. I've got one that'll last me for a month or two. Help!

• Fantasy Life
• Link Between Worlds/Majora's Mask
• Pokemon ORAS
• Prof. Layton v Phoenix Wright
• Fire Emblem: Awakening
• Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

It should be noted I'm not a hardcore gamer and struggle to keep playing games when they kick my ass. For that reason, I hesitate to get Majora's Mask. Fantasy Life seems up my alley, but I'm not sure I want a grindy game right now, which also eliminates MH4U. Pokemon ORAS seems to be too easy, and XY were disappointing in how easy they were. Prof Layton v Wright seems up my alley, as I love Layton, but I've never played a Phoenix game. I'd love to pick up FE:A, but the permadeath system scares me a little, and I can't seem to find a physical copy at any Best Buys around me.

Fantasy Life is the game you want. It's not grindy, at all, unless you want it to be. You can play entirely at your own pace in a way very few games are designed to adapt to.

Etria

From what I've played of Fantasy Life, it is a wonderfully charming game with enough content to last you a long time. Difficulty-wise, it is easy to pick up and play.

I haven't played FE:A, but since permadeath can be turned off in Casual mode, you shouldn't need to be afraid of the game. FE is well worth a play!

Edit: I've played some Phoenix Wright and Layton games, and they're really quite different. You should definitely give the PW games a try. They're superb games with quirky, likeable characters and excellent storytelling!
I've heard that the crossover takes more inspiration from the Layton games though, so it could be a good choice as well.

I'm picking up a New 3DS and im going to hand down my existing 3DS to my 4 year old niece. This will be her first exposure to video games outside of a Leap Pad and her parents are not gamers so I'm hoping I can pick up a game that will open her eyes to it as a hobby.

So, if you were to buy one game for a four year old girl to introduce her to video games what would it be?

Mario and Kirby seem like viable options but just curious what input you all have.

isitstill

I have Crazy Construction, and I like it. It's kind of simple, mindless fun.

I forgot about Alien on the Run, but the trailer made me curious. I'd also like to know if anyone enjoys it.

maxcriden

I'm picking up a New 3DS and im going to hand down my existing 3DS to my 4 year old niece. This will be her first exposure to video games outside of a Leap Pad and her parents are not gamers so I'm hoping I can pick up a game that will open her eyes to it as a hobby.

So, if you were to buy one game for a four year old girl to introduce her to video games what would it be?

Mario and Kirby seem like viable options but just curious what input you all have.

I think NSMB2 or Kirby are good bets. 3DL could be worth a shot after she's used to 2D games.

CANLI

I have Crazy Construction, and I like it. It's kind of simple, mindless fun.

I forgot about Alien on the Run, but the trailer made me curious. I'd also like to know if anyone enjoys it.

From the 6 games they released until now, Alien on the run is my second favorite after Zombie Bowling

May I ask if you're German? Because Germans often mistake "funny" (humorous) for "fun" (enjoyable) in English!
Sorry for the mistake and thanks for the correction. I am belgian lol

my 6 year old niece loves Super mario 3d land and kirby triple deluxe. I think that Nintendo DS has more games for 4 year old girls.

Gears

Could anyone recommend a good rpg? I'm going to get smt 4, and I'm trying to get something else tomorrow when I go grab cave story 3d. The type of RPG doesn't really matter so long as it is at least a little difficult.

Could anyone recommend a good rpg? I'm going to get smt 4, and I'm trying to get something else tomorrow when I go grab cave story 3d. The type of RPG doesn't really matter so long as it is at least a little difficult.

Etrian Odyssey IV may fit the bill.

Who

Banned
Is Tales of Abyss coming to eshop anytime soon? I'm really in need of a solid RPG for my digital collection.

I'm looking at that, fantasy life, and bravely default right now. Too many choices ugh

Haha, it's a good problem to have, isn't it? I haven't played the others, but I know quite a few people enjoyed the heck out of them, so you probably can't go wrong with any choice. Have fun!

Who

Banned
GAF please help me round out my 3DS digital library! I have $15.00 to spend in the eShop. (my zip code doesnt tax games so don't worry about that)

B_7Ghy0UsAAN_8R.jpg:large

How does 3D Outrun compare to 3D Super Hang On? I liked Hangon but it didn't last me as long as I hoped for.

I don't wanna buy it and not like it. I've heard a lot of hype on it.

Hey, this thread doesn't seem very active, but I searched for 3ds game recommendations, and I found this, so this is probably the most appropriate thread to ask.

I got a New 3DS on the way, and I'm looking to pick up at least one of the newer 3DS games that I hadn't played yet on it. Just not sure which one I should get first.

I have played, but never finished Majora's Mask, so I'm considering the 3DS one.
Barely played the Wii version of Xenoblade Chronicles, so I'm considering getting the new 3DS version.
Code Name S.T.E.A.M. hasn't been on my radar much, but I would like to check it out.
Finally, considering getting Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. Not sure if I should get this one, because I really have no one to group up with, but I played some MH3U on Wii U, and had some fun with it.

Which would you guys recommend I get first? If there's something else really good that's come out for 3DS since the beginning of 2015 that I haven't considered, please let me know what you think.

Monster Hunter is sublime.
It'll have the most longevity of anything on your list once you jump online, where I'm sure you'll be able to find a regular hunting group pretty quickly.

My favorite eShop games are probably Shovel Knight, Boxboy, and Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure... followed by Johnny Dynamite, Bloo Kid 2... those two are harder to recommend since they definitely feel very indie and low-budget.

leroidys

Hey, this thread doesn't seem very active, but I searched for 3ds game recommendations, and I found this, so this is probably the most appropriate thread to ask.

I got a New 3DS on the way, and I'm looking to pick up at least one of the newer 3DS games that I hadn't played yet on it. Just not sure which one I should get first.

I have played, but never finished Majora's Mask, so I'm considering the 3DS one.
Barely played the Wii version of Xenoblade Chronicles, so I'm considering getting the new 3DS version.
Code Name S.T.E.A.M. hasn't been on my radar much, but I would like to check it out.
Finally, considering getting Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate. Not sure if I should get this one, because I really have no one to group up with, but I played some MH3U on Wii U, and had some fun with it.

Which would you guys recommend I get first? If there's something else really good that's come out for 3DS since the beginning of 2015 that I haven't considered, please let me know what you think.

Out of this list, I would easily pick MH4U, but it's hard to say- the game is definitely not for everyone.

I'm a huge Zelda fan, but after a decade+ of trying, MM just bores me everytime and I've made peace with it + Zelda II being the only Zelda games I will never beat. Code Name STEAM is, from playing the demo and following reviews and impressions months after launch, a severely flawed title at best, and probably the worst game that IS has made since Wario Ware Snapped. As a huge FFXII fan, I was hyped as can be for Xenoblade, but it never really clicked. The combat just felt like going through the motions, the art design and characters are god-awful, the sidequests way too mundane... MH4 in this case wins by (brave) default. It starts off REALLY slow, but as you get more quests and build a playstyle, the game just gets more and more engrossing.

I just got Kirby Triple Deluxe and Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold. They're both pretty good so far.

Sometimes I can't decide which game to play. The only systems I have access to are a Nintendo 3DS and a 2DS.

I think I enjoy platformers more than RPGs. Games with action elements just seem more fun.

I got my first 3DS when the XL model came out around this time of the year in 2012. Still finding stuff to play on it, even 3 years later...

I have games I haven't beaten, but I don't really think of it as a backlog.
I bought a bundle for a 3DS that came with Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and I still haven't really played that very much... So I understand where you guys are coming from.
I can usually find something to play. That's the important thing.
This is a good thread, I'm glad I bumped it. :)

Top Bottom