• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

I just PayPal'd a user here $14 for their cartridge only copy. When's this hack releasing again?
November 21st. The U.S. Smash + Pokemon release date, as well as AU N3DS release date. I guess it was intended to get the thing silenced out, but as we can see this basically didn't work if so.

Rich!

November 21st. The U.S. Smash + Pokemon release date, as well as AU N3DS release date. I guess it was intended to get the thing silenced out, but as we can see this basically didn't work if so.

It's the 22nd, not the 21st. Source: Smealum's twitter.

RM8

Can someone please convince me that this won't eventually allow piracy? I can't even get hyped for region free goodness with this possibility :(

Rich!

Can someone please convince me that this won't eventually allow piracy? I can't even get hyped for region free goodness with this possibility :(

This exploit wont allow it.

However, there is nothing stopping hackers from reverse engineering it and making their own exploits that do.

There is already piracy on the 3DS. This exploit won't make piracy any easier, by itself. However, other people may find ways with this as a headstart.

RM8

This exploit wont allow it.

However, there is nothing stopping hackers from reverse engineering it and making their own exploits that do.
So it is basically like breaking a window to retrieve a baseball ball (good), while leaving it open for people to get in and steal stuff (bad).

I'll probably do it for future region free awesomeness, but I honestly hope Nintendo nukes this somehow. 3DS is a healthy platform and I don't want that to change.

Impotaku

I know, I understand what you yourself meant.

Its just the issue that people immediately jump to the conclusion of "emulators!? Must be a pirate!"

I fully understand the concerns, but its still frustrating.

Where in that first post does it say that you ripped copies of your own games? How am i meant to know you didn't just download them off the net and that you actually made backups of your own games? all i see is pics of an emulator running roms, roms of games that nintendo are selling officially from the eshop. The thing i was hoping wouldn't happen, and there it was.

Even if you own the games nintendo forbids you to make backup copies they even mention it in every game manual, heck nowdays there are also warnings about using tools to mess with the save data . Maybe using pirate is too strong a word, unauthorized copies might have been a more suitable choice of words, if my post offended you that much i apologise.

So it is basically like breaking a window to retrieve a baseball ball (good), while leaving it open for people to get in and steal stuff (bad).

I'll probably do it for future region free awesomeness, but I honestly hope Nintendo nukes this somehow. 3DS is a healthy platform and I don't want that to change.
You realize piracy is already possible on the 3ds right?! Look up Gateway.

FSLink

Banned
Could we just get the pirate/unauthorized copies talk out of this thread? Fuck, I just want to read about the homebrew news and potential region free-ness. I don't see the point of arguing about how this opens the door to piracy when it's already possible without this exploit if you really wanted to do so.

Rich!

Even if you own the games nintendo forbids you to make backup copies they even mention it in every game manual

Guess what? That means nothing. The law in my country states I can make backups of my own purchased items for personal use. Legally.

My issue is that you saw my photos of game boy emulation and the first thing that you had to say about it was "pirate!". Aside from it being baseless and not true as I have proven considering they are games I have backed up myself as other GAF members like baphomet can attest to, it misses the point that this homebrew application is superior to what Nintendo are offering with the VC in numerous ways. And that is the reason homebrew exists and is supported.

gngf123

Guess what? That means nothing. The law in my country states I can make backups of my own purchased items for personal use. Legally.

My issue is that you saw my photos of a game boy emulation and the first thing that you had to say about it was "pirate!". Aside from it being baseless and not true, it misses the point that this homebrew application is superior to what Nintendo are offering with the VC in numerous ways. And that is the reason homebrew exists and is supported.

Aren't you from the UK? I thought the law here was still not exactly clear when it came to backups. Until a few months ago all format shifting and backup taking was illegal, even something as simple as ripping a CD. They recently changed that but left in some clauses for software backups IIRC.

Anyway, I agree. Let's get the pirate talk out of this thread.

Where in that first post does it say that you ripped copies of your own games? How am i meant to know you didn't just download them off the net and that you actually made backups of your own games? all i see is pics of an emulator running roms, roms of games that nintendo are selling officially from the eshop. The thing i was hoping wouldn't happen, and there it was.

Even if you own the games nintendo forbids you to make backup copies they even mention it in every game manual, heck nowdays there are also warnings about using tools to mess with the save data . Maybe using pirate is too strong a word, unauthorized copies might have been a more suitable choice of words, if my post offended you that much i apologise.

You sound like a fun guy. Just let us be excited about homebrew.

Mozendo

They are backups. My backups, made using a transfer pak and an everdrive 64.

Oh sorry didn't know that was a quote from within the thread, I skimmed through it. ;_;
Kinda off topic, I've been meaning to back up several of my games but I have no way of doing so. Do you back up other games on other consoles and if you do what adapters do you use?

Rich!

Oh sorry didn't know that was a quote from within the thread, I skimmed through it. ;_;
Kinda off topic, I've been meaning to back up several of my games but I have no way of doing so. Do you back up other games on other consoles and if you do what adapters do you use?

Heh thats cool

For snes I use a retrode and for GBA I use a DS Lite, a flashcart (acekard) and a homebrew app I can't remember the name of.

RM8

So where can we discuss about the potential piracy resulting of this exploit? There is a thread about 3DS homebrew IIRC, so that's actually more off topic :p

Kadin

Got an email about an hour ago from Best Buy and my game SHIPPED. Was not expecting that after everything I've been reading. Hope some of the others who ordered shortly after me also were able to get in on it before it went OoS.

Are you accusing me of piracy?
Are you accusing me of piracy? You know thats not allowed here, right?
And now I've been accused of piracy? Wow.

Oh my god, is richisawesome being accused of piracy? Is he? We must know! We must know whether or not he's being accused of piracy, or whether people are saying that this exploit allows the use of a Game Boy emulator, which would allow others to engage in piracy of games on the Virtual Console!

Because if they're not saying that, then they're probably accusing richisawesome of piracy.

Rich!

Oh my god, is richisawesome being accused of piracy? Is he? We must know! We must know whether or not he's being accused of piracy, or whether people are saying that this exploit allows the use of a Game Boy emulator, which would allow others to engage in piracy of games on the Virtual Console!

Because if they're not saying that, then they're probably accusing richisawesome of piracy.

Damn, I feel bad now.

I didn't intend to cause a fuss or any conflict here. I apologise.

Raist

Banned
Heh.

123lkqhw.jpg

Rich!

Sorry, I just saw that phrase repeated over and over, I just got a bit exasperated. :)

That's coool

I've had a stressful day (a really, really bad day in fact due to my condition) and the only thing that's really kept me going is my daughter - and since she went home at around 8ish, I've ended up getting a little bit all over the place again.

again, apologies to anyone if I came off abrupt. Didn't mean it. let's all have a good discussion about homebrew and the pros and cons of this stuff.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Some people at Ubisoft who don't know better much be asking themselves: "What the fuck is going on!?"

RM8

I'll buy so many games if they do manage to bypass region lock. Which would make me feel better about this thing existing :p Both Dragon Quest Monsters, Azito 3D, physical Kokuga, Youkai Watch, that Gon platformer, etc.

Anth0ny

My amazon.ca order shipped. I'm safe! I think!?

$15 seemed expensive yesterday, feels like a complete steal today :x

gngf123

The main things I would want from region free are physical releases of SMT4 and Rune Factory 4, along with physical Sega 3D classics.

I'm sure there's lots I'm not remembering though.

Shun

Man why couldn't this be Dead or Alive Dimensions?

I guess I'll wait till this whole thing calms down and a more complete and stable release is out.

Top Bottom