• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS: Japanese games you're waiting to be announced for the US/EU?

DarkWish

This is probably a long ways away, but Nintendo announced Daigasso Band Brothers for 3DS. The last one was localized as Jam with the Band for DS, but in Europe... not the US. I ended up importing, but can't do that for 3DS. Hopefully it's localized in the US this time, I really want that game!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm waiting for the following:

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
Project X Zone
E.X. Troopers
Fantasy Life
Dragon Quest VII

zashga

My 3 games (Bravely Default, DQ7, and DQ Monsters) are all from Square Enix, so it's weird that I might not get to play any of them. It's already too late for Monsters, but maybe Nintendo will save 7 the same way they saved 6. With Bravely Default, who knows what will happen. Square's behavior is completely baffling at this point.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The point was that all that was needed to sell more on a system than was sold on the Nintendo system was just to release on a system not made by Nintendo. For niche (outside of Japan) Japanese games, is this actually happening? Do we actually see this happening in such numbers as to be considered an actually useful "strategy"? (i.e. release on a Nintendo system exclusively, then later go to a non-Nintendo system and sell more than it did on the Nintendo system. iOS wouldn't be included here due to the pricing disparity, in my mind.)

That's my point. Haven't noticed that to be the case, in my own following of sales, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

I think if you take his argument less literally and say "put it on multiple platforms", it would be a pretty sound base strategy.

For an example of this, for HD games, the Xbox 360 leads heavily in the US and UK, the PS3 does much better in Japan, and the PS3 and PC lead in the rest of Europe. Putting a game on all three platforms lets you address each region much better than simply leaving it on one.

For 3DS games, this would presumably mean putting them as higher priced titles on downloadable services. $20 on XBLA/PSN/Steam probably isn't leagues off from what you're earning at $35-$40 on 3DS once you take out retailer margins, cartridge costs, and licensing fees, and given the NPD third party results we've seen for the system, chances are high you could get a solid unit increase.

This obviously doesn't mean you would need to drop the 3DS as part of this equation, but just that if the audience for the titles isn't large enough to make localization worthwhile, why not try finding the audience wherever they are?

Of course, if the game won't convert well to those formats, considering tablets and handhelds might be more appropriate, like we have seen with a few games so far.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
DQ7 Remix
DQ Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
DQ Rocket Slime
Bravely Default
Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai
Beyond the Labyrinth
Project X-Zone

I've got my eyes on these

Slime Morimori: Dragon Quest 3 (Sqaure Enix)
Dragon's Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D (Square Enix)
Rune Factory 4 (Marvelous AQL)
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (Sqaure Enix)
Project X Zone (Namco Bandai)
E.X. Troopers (Capcom)
Fantasy Life (Level-5)
Professor Layton VS. Ace Attorney (Level-5)
Dragon Quest VII (Square Enix)
Calciobit (Nintendo)
Culdecept (Nintendo)

Of them I'm pretty hopefully that Bravely Default, Rune Factory 4, Fantasy Life, Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney & Dragon Quest VII will find their ways out of Japan, the rest are maybes at best.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think if you take his argument less literally and say "put it on multiple platforms", it would be a pretty sound base strategy.

For an example of this, for HD games, the Xbox 360 leads heavily in the US and UK, the PS3 does much better in Japan, and the PS3 and PC lead in the rest of Europe. Putting a game on all three platforms lets you address each region much better than simply leaving it on one.

For 3DS games, this would presumably mean putting them as higher priced titles on downloadable services. $20 on XBLA/PSN/Steam probably isn't leagues off from what you're earning at $35-$40 on 3DS once you take out retailer margins, cartridge costs, and licensing fees, and given the NPD third party results we've seen for the system, chances are high you could get a solid unit increase.

This obviously doesn't mean you would need to drop the 3DS as part of this equation, but just that if the audience for the titles isn't large enough to make localization worthwhile, why not try finding the audience wherever they are?

Of course, if the game won't convert well to those formats, considering tablets and handhelds might be more appropriate, like we have seen with a few games so far.

I'll repeat what I said to Hobby earlier in the thread

've seen this said many times, but I'd really like to understand what's the problem with the numbers Creamsugar posted. I mean, why are those numbers considered problematic? What was people expecting from some titles? I can perfectly understand people wanted better numbers from RE: Revelations ( and in fact, it's the biggest flop on 3DS by far), but for the rest? Did people expect to see titles like Code of Princess over 100k? Or Harvest Moon over 100k even if just launch ed in November? I fear too many saw Angry Birds as the best seller and just for that they think third party content can't sell in the platform, overreacting just a bit too much.
What about Sonic? What about KH, that will continue to sell as the installare base grows given it's Disney component? Or Tales of the Abyss, near to what the original did on PS2? Epic Mickey is just behind the Wii version of EM2 in sales, it's outdoing all the others. The biggest Japanese release saleswise was KH3D, and it's doing rather decent so far. Most of the others were niche titles, and those don't require such a big amount of copies sold to profit, and that's why we're still seeing some of them being released in PSP. And that's not considering all the Lego titles.

Third party sales in US are fine so far, and you have to remember that games on portable systems have great legs: on DS so many titles started slow but then they e obtained to sell well, and we're already starting seeing this on 3DS. Sonic started with less than 20k in its first days, now it's over 300k; Angry Birds started with around 20k, and it's between 400k and 500k now. Other examples are Skylanders, Lego titles ( those will sell much better when DS SKU will lose its importance saleswise)

So, I can't understand what's the BIG problem some people is seeing, seriously.

However, the idea of 3DS games being multi with iOS over here can work for some of them, like Theatrhythm: FF and Ghost Trick(and for the former, it's much more convenient to buy it on 3DS, but still), so titles that can be sold through episodes or similar.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I don't understand why EX TROOPERS will be JP only, surely there's a market for it here?

please just, stick on subs and digi release it, dont translate any voice work at all,
I will buy it!!!!

I am getting Code of Princess Digital, I dont mind getting niche games digital only, so long as the price point is fair.

nasos_333

I wonder what are the chances the new Layton and Azran mysteries come to US ?

Should be good i assume and looks like the most amazing so far, especially the environments

Santiako

Unchained Blades (FuRyu Games)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (Atlus)
Devil Summoners: Soul Hackers (Atlus)
Etrian Odyessy 4 (Atlus)

T_T

eXistor

Bravely Default for sure (hopefully under a different new name) and of course Layton vs. Wright.

I'd also probably buy Fantasy Life and DQVII.

RPGamer92

Banned
Dragon Quest VII and Bravely Default. I would say SMT IV but I'm 99% certain Atlus will localize that and AA5 has also been confirmed for the west so I don't have to worry about that either ^_^

Jinko

Dragon's Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D (Square Enix)
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (Sqaure Enix)
Dragon Quest VII (Square Enix)

These are the ones I want to see brought over most.

DQ7
DQM3D
All Level-5 games (particularly LBX and Youkai Watch, Fantasy Life as well)
Bravely Default
SMTIV (this is sure to come)
MH4 (as is this IMO)

I'm an RPG addict, sue me. XD

At this point I'd like to see:

Likely
-3D Space Harrier (Sega)
-Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (Square Enix)
-Dragon Quest VII: Warriors of Eden (Square Enix)
-Fantasy Life (Level 5)
-LBX: Little Battler eXperience (Level 5)
-Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom)
-Picross-e (Jupiter)
-Picross-e2 (Jupiter)
-Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney (Level 5)
-Rabi Labi: Episode 3 (Silverstar)
-River City Ransom: Legend of Riki (Arc System Works)
-Shin Megami Tensei IV (Atlus)

Unlikely
-Culdcept (Nintendo)
-E.X.Troopers (Capcom)
-Kokuga (G.Rev)
-Ninja JaJaMaru-kun (Hamster)
-Time Travelers (Level 5)

lolneverhappening ;__;
-Beyond the Labyrinth (Konami)
-Dragon Quest Heroes: Pirate Slime (Square Enix)
-Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary (Sega)
-Zoo Keeper 3D (Robot)

And Virtual Console!
-Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos (Tecmo Koei) NES
-Puyo Puyo!! (Sega) GG
-Recca Summer '92 Carnival (Kaga Denshi) NES
-Revelations: The Demon Slayer (Atlus) GBC
-Revenge of the 'Gator (HAL Institute) GB
-River City Ransom (Arc System Works) NES
-Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya (Sega) GG
-Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) NES
-Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo) NES
-Trip World (Sunsoft) GB
-Wario Land 3 (Nintendo) GBC

Moodkip

i hate these threads, because it reminds me that im one of the few people that wants rocket slime 3 to come over. :( that game has pretty much everything i would have asked for in a sequel - customizable ships and online tank battles. i hope nintendo or someone brings it over as a budget eshop title. or something. :(

i was also intrigued by beyond the labyrinth, which unfortunately didn't do very well. easily the best soundtrack sakuraba has done in years anyway.

Top Bottom