• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS unboxing photos - 6 of AR card Revealed~(Interesting)

dannie

3ds_unboxing-1.jpg
3ds_unboxing-2.jpg

3ds_unboxing-3.jpg
3ds_unboxing-4.jpg

3ds_unboxing-5.jpg
3ds_unboxing-6.jpg

3ds_unboxing-7.jpg

http://twitter.com/#!/Gamedigital/

[Nintex]

What I find even more interesting is the picture on the cover of that magazine. I believe Vooks has the same screenshot on his website that just shows 'Mario'. Related to the AR card, Nintendo's secret killer app or simply a wallpaper...

wwm0nkey

going to say it again $5 on the Toon Link card being a top down zelda mini game where you have to survive for as long as you can.

i think the ? block has all the games (the different boxes that open up out of it) and that the character cards will be mainly viewable versions of those characters, though there may be some interactivity.

if you look closely in the picture with the manuals in the plastic bag you can see that the ? card is listed seperately from the 'character cards'.

wwm0nkey said:
going to say it again $5 on the Toon Link card being a top down zelda mini game where you have to survive for as long as you can.
Keep in mind different cards have nothing to do with what game an AR system plays. Any game should be able to use any card, it's not like there's game code stored on the card.

I'd bet $5 that the cards look different just to be collectible, and don't represent different AR games.

wwm0nkey

Dreamwriter said:
Keep in mind different cards have nothing to do with what game an AR system plays. Any game should be able to use any card, it's not like there's game code stored on the card.

I'd bet $5 that the cards look different just to be collectible, and don't represent different AR games.
:(

onipex

Dreamwriter said:

You are a killer of dreams

Dreamwriter said:
Augmented Reality. Put the card on a table, point the camera built-into the 3DS at the card, and on the 3DS screen there's a Nintendog running around on the desk, or a dragon coming out of a hole in the top of the desk, etc.
My god that is awesome. Thanks!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Dreamwriter said:

Couldnt they have a QR Code or something like that stored on the card which the 3DS cams detects and then decides which software to start ?

Would be cool.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Dreamwriter said:
You'll be jealous when I get a shiny Charizard AR card in my box.

cw_sasuke said:
Couldnt they have a QR Code or something like that stored on the card which the 3DS cams detects and then decides which software to start ?

Would be cool.
They could...but look at the cards, they don't :) The cards have a black box in a white border - that's most likely what the 3DS sees, and uses to guess what angle/distance the camera is looking at. Now, it *could* detect simple colors, but those designs on the cards seem way too complicated to me to be recognizable by the 3DS (especially realizing that the 3DS cameras are only 640x480, and will be held a distance away from the card).

But note that the question-mark card has a different color background on the cube - I would think the 3DS could read that at least.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Dreamwriter said:

Maybe, but Reggie did say that we haven't seen all of the AR games, yet. Seems to imply that there is more packed into the system than we thought. Check the 12 minute mark of this video.

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/113&ch=1&sd=0?ep=113&ch=1&sd=0

BowieZ

Banned
What are the chances we'll see a series of 3DS AR Trading Card packs go on sale, with lots of characters each with a 3D statuette or maybe the ability to use your favorite character through the default AR game...

There could be rare cards and special cards!

Rarest card of all would be Platinum Iwata.

FoneBone

BowieZ said:
What are the chances we'll see a series of 3DS AR Trading Card packs go on sale, with lots of characters each with a 3D statuette or maybe the ability to use your favorite character through the default AR game...

There could be rare cards and special cards!

Rarest card of all would be Platinum Iwata.
You do realize there's no data on the card itself?

GDGF said:
Maybe, but Reggie did say that we haven't seen all of the AR games, yet. Seems to imply that there is more packed into the system than we thought. Check the 12 minute mark of this video.

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/113&ch=1&sd=0?ep=113&ch=1&sd=0
Plus there are 6 AR games and we have only seen one so far and that uses the box ... and there just happens to be 6 cards :/

I think that w/e the 3DS cams are doing is pretty powerful give that mii creation thing but IDK.

Dreamwriter said:

They look different presumably because the AR Games app has different content associated with each of them. And it's true that any game could use any card provided it's programmed to recognize the pattern, but that's not necessarily the case - Nintendogs apparently is only compatible with the question mark card. I assume Nintendo is encouraging interested developers to use that as the general-purpose card for any AR features.

That said, I imagine that the five character cards will have less associated content than the question mark card. I doubt this would happen, but it'd be damn cool if you could put out two at a time and they interacted with each other - AR Smash Bros., anyone?

BowieZ

Banned
Father_Brain said:
That said, I imagine that the five character cards will have less associated content than the question mark card. I doubt this would happen, but it'd be damn cool if you could put out two at a time and they interacted with each other - AR Smash Bros., anyone?
Holy shit.

I wonder if online could factor into AR at all lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Father_Brain said:
They look different presumably because the AR Games app has different content associated with each of them. And it's true that any game could use any card provided it's programmed to recognize the pattern, but that's not necessarily the case - Nintendogs apparently is only compatible with the question mark card. I assume Nintendo is encouraging interested developers to use that as the general-purpose card for any AR features.

Would be awesome. Not going to happen.

Dreamwriter said:
They could...but look at the cards, they don't :) The cards have a black box in a white border - that's most likely what the 3DS sees, and uses to guess what angle/distance the camera is looking at. Now, it *could* detect simple colors, but those designs on the cards seem way too complicated to me to be recognizable by the 3DS (especially realizing that the 3DS cameras are only 640x480, and will be held a distance away from the card).

But note that the question-mark card has a different color background on the cube - I would think the 3DS could read that at least.
well what it probably does is to look at the shape of that blue area, which is dramatically different on each card.

i'm not expecting much from the character cards though to be honest. do we know it's six games, or did we presume that because they said it comes with six cards?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Father_Brain said:
it'd be damn cool if you could put out two at a time and they interacted with each other - AR Smash Bros., anyone?
Totally could work. Pokemon will be insanely successful with such a system.

plagiarize said:
well what it probably does is to look at the shape of that blue area, which is dramatically different on each card.

i'm not expecting much from the character cards though to be honest. do we know it's six games, or did we presume that because they said it comes with six cards?
Reggie said there were 6 games in the past and that we had only seen one so far (Dragon target thing). Also said we would see the others closer to release.

It doesn't say Nintendogs only works with the question mark card in that Iwata Asks (though I admit we could be missing something from the translation from the original Japanese).

But note I did say that the question mark card has one difference that the 3DS should be able to pick up - the color of the "cube" behind the image is yellow, while the other cards it's blue. But unfortunately there's nothing else different on the cards that would easily be able to be picked up by a 640x480 camera being held a couple feet away at an odd angle.

Top Bottom